The Love

Strings of Solace
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Taeyeon…”

 

Taeyeon lifts her head, her neck and upper back sore from sleeping in an awkward position, bent over with her head resting on the edge of Jessica’s bed.  She’s also rather sleep-deprived from practically having taken only naps for the past three days while watching over the unconscious Jessica.

 

At first, Taeyeon thought her request to stay with Jessica in her chambers would seem a little suspicious, but of course that was just her paranoia talking and nobody suspected a thing.  After all, Taeyeon had been instrumental to Jessica’s recovery so far and everyone, from the King and Queen down to the servants, thought it most appropriate for Taeyeon to watch over Jessica and take care of her until she awoke.

 

So here Taeyeon is, sitting in a chair next to Jessica’s bed, drifting in and out of sleep, sometimes playing her harp for Jessica, sometimes just watching her.  Taeyeon doesn’t know if Jessica can hear her in her feverish dream state, but she hopes and believes that her presence is making a difference.

 

Sometimes, Jessica mumbles Taeyeon’s name in her sleep.  And most of the time it turns out to be Jessica just talking in her sleep, her temperature rendering her incoherent.  But Taeyeon always wakes up when she hears it, to check if there are any changes in Jessica’s condition.

 

“Ah… Taeyeon…”

 

“Lady Jessica…?”

 

Taeyeon rubs her sleepy eyes.  It’s 1am, and the castle is dead with sleep.  Jessica’s room is lit only by a dim candle on her dressing table.  Taeyeon leans in to check on Jessica, and finally, this time, Jessica’s eyes open ever so slightly.

 

“Wh- Why are you here… What time…?”  Jessica mumbles, clearly in a state of confusion.

 

“Hey, don’t worry about that,” Taeyeon responds softly.  “How are you feeling?”

 

“Not good…” 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter