The Strings

Strings of Solace
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next morning, Taeyeon rises from a sleep that’s not completely restful.  Although her bed is extremely luxurious and comfortable, the new environment still fills her with a certain unease.  It’ll take her a while to get used to it.

 

When she makes her way towards the dining hall to collect her breakfast, she notices that there’s a general fuss about the palace.  A few servants and butlers are rushing about from place to place, unable to stop for more than a moment to greet Taeyeon good morning.

 

“Good morning,” Taeyeon greets the head servant she met yesterday, catching her in the hallway by chance.  She nods in return.  “Is something happening today?”

 

“Lady Jessica has arisen, and she’s feeling well enough to eat.  The cooks are preparing her breakfast and herbal remedies,” the head servant explains.

 

“Oh!  That’s wonderful news,” Taeyeon exclaims, genuinely pleased.  She hadn’t been sure if the princess would wake up anytime soon.

 

“Yes,” the head servant nods in agreement.  “I will let you know later if she’s well enough to receive you.”

 

A few hours later, Taeyeon sits at her desk, working on the sheet music of one of her older compositions.  Her concentration is interrupted by a knock at her door.  It’s the head servant.

 

“Lady Jessica has finished her meal.  Are you ready to play your music for her?”

 

“Oh…!  Yes, of course.”  A little flustered, Taeyeon arranges her sheets neatly in a pile for later, picking up her golden harp and following the head servant once again towards Lady Jessica’s chambers.  She remembers to properly scan and memorise the route on the way there this time.

 

“Lady Jessica,” the head servant knocks on her door.  “Madame Taeyeon is here to see you.”

 

“Please, come in,” the princess’s voice, muffled, comes from the other side of the door, granting permission.

 

This time, the head servant only cracks open the door for Taeyeon to enter and remains standing outside herself, not entering the room.  Taeyeon thanks her, in a voice that doesn’t sound like her own, and enters, the door closing behind her.  She tightens her grip around the pillar of her harp to stop her hands from shaking.

 

The princess’s room is the same as Taeyeon remembered it, overwhelming with its ornate decor, but Taeyeon can’t focus on any of that right now.  Lady Jessica’s bedcurtains have been drawn back, and she’s sitting up today, propped up against a stack of pillows.  She still looks weak and pale, but more energetic than yesterday now that she’s awake.  And somehow, her delicate nature adds to her ethereal beauty.

 

Taeyeon walks towards the princess until her feet physically won’t let her get any closer.  She feels like she’s sinning, being left alone in the chambers of the Princess of Damcyan.

 

“Um, h- hello, Your Highness… I’m Taeyeon from the Village of Mist.  I’ve come to play you some music on my harp,” Taeyeon introduces herself as she bows deeply in front of Lady Jessica.  She could not feel more out-of-place.

 

“I know why my parents sent you,” the princess responds, managing a small smile.  Taeyeon freezes upon hearing her voice for the first time.  She didn’t know what else to expect.  Lady Jessica’s voice is gentle and melodic, fully befitting of a princess.  Just like music.  “Come sit here.  And please, would you just call me Jessica?”

 

Taeyeon, with Jessica’s permission, moves to sit in the chair beside her bed, placing her harp down carefully on the floor next to her.  “Your Hi- Ah… I cannot address you in such an informal way.  Is ‘Lady Jessica’ acceptable?”

 

Jessica laughs, a soft laugh that magnifies her beauty a hundred times, catching Taeyeon off-guard.  She now notices the golden specks dotting Jessica’s light brown eyes, made only more prominent by the midday sun.  She imagines, for a brief moment, what the princess would look like healthy and fully recovered.

 

“You’re funny.  I guess that’s better too,” Jessica replies.  “I’m sorry.  I don’t get visitors often now that I’m sick.  In fact, I haven’t had anyone come see me in almost two years.  I’m bored out of my mind when I’m awake.”

 

“Yes, I imagine it must get very boring,” Taeyeon agrees.  She senses that Jessica wants to talk first, and cannot blame her for feeling lonely.  After all, noble titles aside, she’s just a young girl like Taeyeon herself.  Taeyeon is still surprised by how personable Jessica is, and is glad to engage her in conversation now that she has the energy to speak.  Taeyeon suddenly becomes hyper-aware of her own appearance and mannerisms.  “Um, but how are you feeling now?”

 

“A little better,” Jessica answers, with a smile that’s happy and sad in equal parts.  Her fatigue doesn’t escape Taeyeon’s observant eye, nor does the feeling that there is a lot more to be said about Jessica’s condition that she simply doesn’t want to, or cannot, say.

 

“Maybe, if you’d like, I could play a little something…”

 

“I’d like that very much,” Jessica encourages.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter