The Journey

Strings of Solace
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s the first time Taeyeon has ever ridden in a horse-drawn carriage, or any kind of carriage, for that matter.  It’s certainly the fanciest mode of transport she’s ever taken, since she’s used to moving about on foot.  The Damcyan court messenger sits in front, reining the horse, while Taeyeon remains safely in the carriage behind, sheltered from the sun’s harsh and unforgiving rays.  She’s packed her best clothes, which are of course her simple linen and chemise tunics, and one cloak, which sit next to her in a small satchel.  She holds her precious golden harp in her lap to prevent it from falling.

 

The mythril Damcyan emblem embedded into the side of the carriage glistens in the light of the overhead sun.

 

Taeyeon marvels at the sights along the way, the open plains, forests, villages, and rivers, able to appreciate them with a newfound gaze in the comforts of a carriage rather than her usual mode of walking.  Every nightfall, she and the messenger find a safe spot to camp for the night.  They make a fire, cook an outdoor dinner, and exchange stories, Taeyeon telling him about her life in Mist and he relaying tales from his life in the Damcyan palace, as well as general news from across the land.  When the time to sleep comes, the messenger sets up his tent at a respectable distance from Taeyeon’s, but still close enough to watch for danger and protect her from it should the need arise.

 

They arrive at the Damcyan castle four days later.

 

“Sir, Ma’am, Madame Taeyeon, whom you’ve sent for from Mist,” the kighted guard introduces Taeyeon to the King and Queen in the throne room, before excusing himself once again.

 

Taeyeon drops to one knee in front of them, a little too hastily because she’s nervous.  It’s the first time she’s ever been in such close proximity to royals.  It doesn’t hurt, surprisingly, because of how plush the red carpet is beneath her feet.

 

“Um, hello.  I’m Taeyeon from Mist.”

 

“Yes, dear, we know,” the King smiles fondly, sensing her apprehension.  Perhaps he also sees a little bit of his own daughter in her mannerisms.  “Please stand.  A lady shouldn’t kneel.”

 

Taeyeon does as she’s told, bowing in appreciation of his kind words.

 

“I suppose you know why you’ve been summoned?”  The Queen asks.

 

“Yes, Your Majesty.  I understand Her Royal Highness, Princess of Damcyan is in great suffering and His and Her Majesty wish to solicit my help,” Taeyeon answers.

 

“That’s right,” the King nods.  “We heard of you and your magical harp and sent for you immediately.  Our daughter is incredibly weak and ill, I think you’ll see that for yourself.  What we are humbly asking of you is this.  To play your music for Jessica’s health in exchange for lodging, meals, and whatever you ask for here in the palace.  We will also grant you a reward in gold, as much as you ask for, if you manage to cure our daughter.”

 

Taeyeon’s eyes widen upon hearing this but she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter