The Saviour

Strings of Solace
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

During the evening of that same day, Taeyeon finds herself taking a leisurely stroll through the gravel paths of the palace gardens.  The temperature in Damcyan, on average, is a few degrees warmer than it is back at Mist, so Taeyeon can venture outside without the need for her cloak.  She ambles at an easy pace, admiring the careful and precise gardening work of the flowers and trees that line the fringes of the castle, greeting the few gardeners she meets along the way.

 

Suddenly, she hears a voice come from behind her, calling her name: “Madame Taeyeon?”

 

Taeyeon turns, and sees a court advisor approaching her.

 

“Apologies for disturbing you,” he says.  “But Her Majesty wishes to speak with you now, privately, in her office.”

 

The court advisor escorts Taeyeon to the Queen’s day office, where he knocks on her door and tells her that he’s brought Taeyeon as per her orders.  The Queen gives the affirmative for Taeyeon to be let in, and the court advisor leaves after opening the door and shutting it behind Taeyeon.

 

Taeyeon bows to the Queen.  “Good evening, Your Majesty.”

 

“At ease, Taeyeon dear.  Come and sit,” the Queen invites.  Taeyeon nods and takes a seat in the only chair in front of the Queen’s large oaken desk, behind which the Queen herself sits.  The plushness of the red velvet chair surprises Taeyeon when she sits down, its colour matching that of the Queen’s robes.  Taeyeon suspects that the Queen perhaps had been a little suspicious and wary of her at first, being a stranger from a faraway place.  She could definitely feel it in the Queen’s treatment of her.  But now the Queen has definitely warmed up to her a lot more, after seeing considerable improvements in Jessica’s health.

 

“I hope I haven’t interrupted anything important,” the Queen says.

 

“Not at all, Ma’am,” Taeyeon assures.  “I was just taking a walk around the gardens before you called.  I find the palace gardens lovely and relaxing.”

 

The Queen smiles fondly.  “Yes… I’m glad to hear that.  Anyway, to get straight to the point, I called you here to speak with you about my darling Jessica.  I’m sure you already know of her situation with Prince Hans of Troia?”

 

Taeyeon nods, fixing her gaze on a random spot on the Queen’s desk.  “Yes, Ma’am.  Lady Jessica has informed me about the Prince of Troia and his visit earlier today, but only generally.”

 

“So Jessica told you herself?  Interesting… No matter, I feel it’s important for you to know some things for the questions I’m about to ask you, so listen carefully.  My husband and I have been searching for a worthy suitor for our daughter ever since she was of marriageable age.  As you know, since she is a woman and our only child, her pool of royals to marry is limited if we were to consider inheriting the Damcyan throne as being an imperative.  Still, there are many princes across the land who wish to take Jessica’s hand in marriage and accept this inferior status.  My husband and I feel that Prince Hans’s family status and personality are most befitting of Jessica for marriage, especially taking into account the favourable diplomatic relations between Damcyan and Troia.  However, Jessica seems to have been opposed to this arrangement since day one, and for the life of us, we cannot figure out why.  My husband and I have tried convincing her countless times.  Now that she’s gotten older and a little more mature, we’ve gotten her to realise that practically speaking, her marriage to Prince Hans would be the most useful and pragmatic arrangement, but she’s still not inclined to it.  We haven’t tried pushing this on her in recent years because of her health, but now that she seems to be getting better, we, or rather mostly I, thought it wise to quickly arrange a meeting with Prince Hans to indicate to him that the offer of marriage is still on the table, lest he becomes betrothed first to another maiden.  At least, that’s what Jessica’s parents want for her anyway… But it was no use.  At their meeting, Jessica was disinterested and distracted the whole time.  She answered coldly to him and his parents too, King and Queen of Troia.  I was so embarrassed, I couldn’t believe she behaved that way.  It seemed as though she had something else on her mind and wished to be anywhere else but in that room.  I wanted to slap her and scold her, but of course I’m not going to because she’s still in poor health.  I can’t ask her what her true feelings are either because she won’t tell me, not after what I’ve done.  She’s probably still upset.  So this is where you come in, Taeyeon dear.  I get the impression that you and Jessica have become rather close friends by now, after all the time you’ve spent together.  I implore you to tell me, has Jessica ever told you her true thoughts on this marriage with Prince Hans, or marriage in general?  You have to tell me because this concerns her future and the future of the people of Damcyan.”

 

Hearing this, Taeyeon’s head feels hot and heavy with burden.  This is certainly not what she expected upon first being called into

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter