The End

Strings of Solace
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taeyeon has been summoned to the throne room with a cryptic line by one of the senior court messengers.  While she’s being escorted there by a group of court messengers and knights in an orderly formation, she knows that there’s no reason to be so alert; nothing seems out of the ordinary, and this is just like any of the other times she’s been called to meet with the King and Queen.  Except for the fact that the air is saturated with a lot more formality than usual, and the knights and messengers are escorting Taeyeon as if she’s a prisoner, not a royal guest.  Taeyeon tries to make eye contact with the servants lining the walls of the hallways for some reassurance, but all of them avoid her gaze.  Though no one tells her to, Taeyeon instinctively keeps her head down as she walks.

 

But she’d be lying to herself if she said she hadn’t already sensed that something was amiss days ago.  Now in hindsight, it would’ve been nice to know that just a few moments ago, as Taeyeon was playing her harp for Jessica as usual, would probably be the last time that Taeyeon ever got to see the princess.

 

It’s immediately confirmed in Taeyeon’s mind that something is wrong when she arrives at the throne room.  The doors are shut firmly behind her once she enters with her escorts, and the King and Queen sit in front of her on their golden thrones, dressed in their formal robes.  This time, they seem much further away.  Knights and soldiers stand guard against the walls of the room in neat rows, which further cements the simmering doom in Taeyeon’s gut.  Such heavy guarding seems unnecessary in this situation, given Taeyeon’s lack of strength and offensive power.

 

Taeyeon kneels before the royals, the way she once did when she first arrived in Damcyan.  But this time, they don’t tell her to stand.

 

“Taeyeon,” the King’s voice booms across the room, reverberating within its four walls and sorely lacking in the kindness that Taeyeon was once used to hearing.  “I trust that you know why you have been summoned.  And that this is your final hour in Damcyan.  We are deeply disappointed with your actions.”

 

“...Yes, Your Majesty,” Taeyeon answers in a voice as loud as she can muster, discreetly clenching her fists to hide their shaking.  She knows what this is all about now.  She keeps her eyes trained on the carpet beneath her.

 

Suddenly, before anything else can be said or done, Taeyeon hears the doors behind her burst open, and the knights and soldiers in the room synchronously turn to the intruder with their swords and lances in preparation for defence.  But just as quickly as this action is prompted, they then lower their weapons almost sheepishly, and return to their former positions.  Taeyeon knows that there’s only one person who could be granted grace to disrupt a formal court proceeding with such improper conduct, and her heart blooms with the tiniest speck of hope against her will, but of course she still doesn’t dare turn to look.

 

For once, Jessica’s abrupt entry into the room is ignored by everyone, and the King continues, “I hereby order you to pack your things and leave Damcyan immediately.  The illicit relations you have formed with my daughter are unacceptable.”

 

Taeyeon is about to give her reply, but apparently the idea of Taeyeon being asked to leave like this, without even being able to say goodbye to her first no less, is too much for Jessica to handle.  Again, her conduct turns improper and she directly addresses the King and Queen not as royals, but as her own parents.

 

“Stop it!  Stop this!  Why can’t you two ever consult me and ask for my opinion on matters concerning me, instead of just controlling my entire life?  Why do you have to do this to Taeyeon?  Aren’t you glad that she cured me?”

 

“Jessica, enough!  You should be grateful that we’re not putting this girl in jail or worse,” the King barks at his daughter, silencing her.  Taeyeon’s entire body has gone rigid with tension and fear.  She expected no less from Jessica than her trying to defend her in this situation, but fears for the princess’s own safety and welfare at the same time.

 

“Y- Your Majesties… it’s okay,” Taeyeon cuts in meekly.  Her first tear falls from her hanging head and wets the plush red carpet imperceptibly.  “I apologise for corrupting the morals of Princess Jessica, although I know my apology cannot reverse my actions.  For the good of Damcyan and its people, and for Princess Jessica and her royal family, I will promptly take my leave from Damcyan.  Thank you for your hospitality while I was here and for sparing my life.”

 

Jessica’s rage builds; the fact that Taeyeon has no choice but to submit to her parents, has no choice but to take full responsibility for ‘corrupting’ her even though she thought their love was real… everything makes her mad.  The world

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter