Family News

Heirs of Magic: The Heir of Blood and Spells
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Byul drove through the city and headed for the harbor. She hasn't been here in a while. She went straight to the warehouse at the end of the wharf strip and knocked on the metal door using a very particular knock that only the person on the other side would know, but no one came to open the door.

This was strange to her.

Someone was always at the door.

Always.

As she turned to leave, the door opened, and a young woman came out from behind it. "Why is the devil knocking on our door?" She asked with a hint of irritation in her eyes.

Byul turned around and gave the woman a stern look, "Good morning to you, too. No doorman today?"

"He's out sick," the other girl annoyingly replied.

She walked towards the opened door, with her eyes she motioned for the other woman to let her in, "How have you been, Yuki? Did anything happen recently that I should know about?" She asked while the other woman, Yuki Mori, closed the door.

As Yuki passed by Byul, she glanced at her before continuing on her way, "Is that concern I hear in your voice? Are you sick? Or did you finally grow fond of me and the children?"

"Just because I'm asking doesn't mean I care. I'm just curious. That's all." Byul curtly replied, and Yuki turned to look at her with much disdain in her eyes but didn't say anything and went back to walking.

Byul didn't give much thought to Yuki's glare and continued to follow her to a small room at the very back of the building.

The warehouse was dark and bare except for a few boxes lined up on the floor. Byul knows those boxes weren't empty, but she wasn't here for that. S; she just needed to find out who could be after them after all these years.

When they entered the small office, Yuki immediately sat behind her desk and returned to work on her computer. Byul remained standing as she gazed about the tight space before finally settling her eyes on the young woman busying herself with her day job.

Yuki Mori had her gaze fixed on her monitor and didn't seem to pay much attention to Byul. Even though she wasn't keen on having Byul invade her space, she didn't particularly hate the idea of having her around today, either. It's been too quiet lately, and she wonders if Byul's visit is a forewarning of what's to come.

She kept typing on her keyboard, and Byul just stared at her in quiet thought. Even though Yuki seemed to be no older than a teenager and even behaved like one on occasion, she is in fact already 150 years old. But in vampire years, that's also considered to be on the younger side.

But Yuki isn't just a vampire. She's a Dhampir, born of a Vampire mother and a human father. And she was special to Byul, she treats her like a part of her family, and in hindsight, maybe she is. You see, Yuki's mother, Lucia, was created by Lady Yunha long ago. She used to call them her children of the night— creatures who lived in the darkness and fed on people's fear. At least, that was what she created them for.

Thinking back, she wonders if it was a sheer coincidence that they found each other, or maybe the Gods have something to do with that, too.

"Are you gonna stare at me all day, or are you gonna tell me why you're here?" Yuki suddenly blurted out without looking away from her monitor, and Byul shrugged and dragged her feet to sit on the chair opposite of Yuki.

"I had a visitor today. An unexpected and uninvited one." Byul said, her eyes never leaving Yuki's face. The Dhampir stopped typing abruptly and returned Byul's gaze, "When you say visitor, do you mean they knocked on your door or..." Yuki let the question trail off and waited for Byul's reply.

"More like, dropped in."

Yuki blinked back in confusion, "Dropped in? I don't understand..."

Byul gave her a nervous chuckle and stretched her legs, "I don't know how else to explain it. She just showed up in our kitchen, and we don't know how she got in."

"So, you're telling me someone broke into your house, and you didn't feel a thing? What happened to the protection spells you put up?" Yuki asked incredulously. She knew how well protected Byul and Yong's house was, and it was indeed a surprise that someone was brave or stupid enough to break inside. If the protection spells don't kill you, Byul definitely would.

"They're still in place—all of them. Not one protection spell went off. Not a single thing was broken," Strangely, Byul chuckled at what she had said and continued, "I think the realm is finally making its move."

"After all these years, huh? The Gods must really be pissed off," Yuki remarks and then continues typing, "But what do you care? I'm sure you're happy that the realm is quickly descending into ruin. I mean, that's what you always wanted, right?"

"Yeah. It is." Byul answered sharply, and Yuki shrugged in reply to Byul's terse response and continued working. After a moment of silence, the teenage-looking girl turned her head to gaze at Byul, "What is it? Your silence is deafening. Finally feeling guilty?"

Byul just laughed it off and smiled at Yuki before standing up, "Guilt? No, no." she said with an icy cold tone. Yuki only ever hears when Byul is exceptionally angry about something, "The realm deserves every bit of chaos it's getting. Maybe more."

The venom in Byul's tone wasn't surprising to Yuki anymore. She's used to it now. She learned early on in their acquaintance that as kind as she may be, she also had that darkness inside her. That sinister feeling that she would not hesitate to kill or hurt people who cross her. She could be downright evil if she wanted to be or if you anger her enough, and Yuki knows that there are only a few things that can make Byul truly angry.

The Gods of the Magical realm, her parents, or someone was threatening her wife.

"So, did you come here to ask me to incite more cha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter