chapter 5

it feels like our story hasn’t ended yet

messy push and pull stuff going on in this chapter

 


 

As was promised, Nayeon came to Seoul to visit Haein and Mina. Haein is making every effort to make her choose him although there’s really no competition. Well, there is, but he doesn’t know that.

Haein calls Nayeon’s parents and tells them of something he’s planning to do for Nayeon. They were happy to hear it and they gave their approval.

Haein hears from a lot of people that he’s a good cook and even though he’s confident about cooking, he’s nervously making dinner for tonight.

He calls Mina who is shopping with Nayeon at the moment. “I need your opinion as a girl on this set up. I wanna make sure Nayeon likes it.”

“Oppa, she will appreciate whatever you do for her. That’s how girls are.”

“But she’s not just any girl. She’s Nayeon. She’s special to me and I want her to feel that.”

“Nayeon will love this.” Mina assures him. “Now stop overthinking and go take a quick shower. It’s almost our turn to pay the cashier. Let me know if you need more time.”

//

This plan has been lingering in Haein’s mind for weeks. He knows they’re taking things fast but he doesn’t care. If he feels it’s right, he’ll do it and he doesn’t think Nayeon will turn him down.

He’s now just waiting for the girls to arrive.

Mina and Nayeon just exited the mall and they were met by a good looking guy outside standing beside a car.

“Is this-” Nayeon’s question has been cut.

“Yep. Nayeon, this is Joongki. Joongki, this is Nayeon.”

“Hi. Nice to finally meet you.”

“Nice to finally meet you too Joongki.”

“Uhm, you two can continue that later. We need to go.”

Joongki knows what’s happening. Mina asked him to go to the apartment with them so she won’t feel alone while the two are having a date.

//

They arrived at the apartment and Nayeon came in first. She immediately noticed how dim the apartment was.

Haein walks to her and takes her hand.

“What’s this?”

“I prepared a dinner date for us.”

He’s wearing ripped jeans and a white shirt with the sleeves folded. It’s his regular style and Nayeon finds it very attractive. It goes well with the oversized shirt and short shorts that she is wearing.

Haein pulls the chair for her and they sit down. Joongki and Mina had sneaked into the latter’s room. There’s food prepared for them too although it wasn’t specially arranged for them unlike the table that was nicely set up in the dining room.

As they’re eating, Mina and Joongki opens the door slightly so they can hear their friends from the kitchen.

Haein and Nayeon are talking and laughing. Mina could hear Nayeon thanking Haein for the surprise and how no one has ever done anything like it for her. Then a few minutes later, a moment of silence falls on the two. Nayeon could sense how nervous he seem. Haein clears his throat to break the silence.

"Nayeon, I’m happy to have met you again after all those years that I was in Japan. And I’ve told you this before and I just want to say that I mean it when I say I like you. It's not just because you're pretty. Well, that was the initial reason why I started liking you but I just really want to be with you. I know the kid you and I'm glad I’m getting to know the adult you now. I want to get to know you more and I'm hoping to do that while being your boyfriend." He takes a deep breath. "So, Nayeon, can you be my girlfriend?"

Nayeon said yes immediately but if she didn’t panic, she would have thought it through for a minute or asked Haein for a longer time to think about it. Hearing her response, Mina immediately wanted to swallow her words “I will never be the right one for you, Nayeon.”

She’s still confused with everything she’s feeling. She likes Joongki but it seems like she’s feeling something strong for her bestfriend. Is she jealous as a friend or is she mistaking this jealousy into something more?

 

Joongki is definitely more than Mina’s ideal partner. She thinks he’s perfect. Even too perfect for her. But that’s what every girl wants, right—to find the perfect person for them?

 

But does she really like him or does she like the idea of being with someone like him?

 

//

 

Later after the dinner, Joongki and Haein are talking and Mina goes out to the balcony where her bestfriend is.

“Do you think Mina’s ready for a relationship?” Joongki asks Haein. The former has been doing his best at being Mina’s suitor.

“I think she’s just waiting for you to ask her to be your girlfriend and I think you should ask her soon.”

“I wanna ask for her parents’ approval first.”

Haein laughs. “That’s really unnecessary. They will appreciate it if you do that but for now, that’s too big of a gesture. You can save it for when you ask for their daughter’s hand in marriage.” He says, patting his bestfriend on the shoulder.

//

“What are you doing polluting the air?” Mina snorts. “Congrats.” She says. The look on her face turns serious, not looking at the other girl.

“Thanks.” Nayeon’s smile is genuine.

“That was sudden.”

“Aren't all proposals?” They both chuckle.

"Well, that's true."

They stare at the scene in front of them. After a moment, Mina breaks the silence. “That was heartbreaking.” She doesn’t have alcohol in her blood right now but she can't hide her honesty and what she's feeling anymore.

“Mina, what are you saying?” Confusion is all over Nayeon’s face.

“I was so stupid for letting you go.”

“I will never be the right one for you, Nayeon.”

“Why are you suddenly telling me this?” Nayeon asks seriously.

“It’s just… everything is happening too fast.”

“I genuinely like him. Why should I wait until I’m over you?”

“I thought you’re still not over me.” At this point, Mina’s eyes are getting teary.

“Why do I suddenly feel like I did something wrong to you?” Nayeon scoffs.

“Do you really not love me anymore?” She holds Nayeon’s hands.

“I thought we’re done with this?” The older girl removes her hands from Mina’s grip. “No more going to the past right?” The older girl says, getting frustrated.

“I guess, I don't mean that anymore.” Mina looks down, finding the next words to say.

“Mina, are you confessing to me? Really?” Nayeon raises her voice. “Now that I have a boyfriend? For what? To mess up with my feelings?”

“I’m sorry that this makes you feel that way but I couldn’t contain it anymore. But I won’t do anything if you don’t want me to.”

“You won’t do anything because you can’t do it! You’re even too scared to admit it!”

Mina knows that Nayeon is right. “I was confused. I didn’t know what it was. I didn’t just wanna dive into something without being sure.”

“You knew what it was. You just make things complicated. If you love someone, you love them. If you feel something, don’t fight it. Fight for it if you really want it. You never even tested that water."

“I’m sorry I couldn't do it before but it’s too late now.” A tear slowly rolls down her face.

“What about Joongki? You’re just leading him on? I thought you said you like him?”

“I do.”

“You’re not making sense Mina! This is so messed up!”

“You sound like you want to give me a chance. Like you want me to fight for you. If I’m not wrong, I will do it. Just tell me and I’ll talk to Haein oppa.”

That silenced Nayeon. Maybe Mina’s right, but maybe she’s just confused right now because finally the person she loved for a long time is telling her now that she loves her back. But she has a boyfriend now.

“Why are you doing this to me? You're messing with my head!”

“I’m sorry if this messes you up but I’m doing this because I finally realized and admitted to myself that I love you and I don’t want to lose you again. I don’t regret breaking your heart because if I didn’t, I wouldn't have realized that I love you.”

“Why can’t you just let me go, Mina?”

“I already did but it seems like you haven’t let me go.”

Nayeon is taken aback by her words. She’s right.

“Try me again.” Mina pleads, trying to hold her hands again but Nayeon doesn’t allow her.

“No, Mina.” Nayeon says firmly.

Mina sighs in defeat then starts laughing. “I’m sorry for trying.” Then she sees Haein approaching so she quickly wipes her tears. “There’s the person you chose.” She nods towards his direction and Nayeon turns her head to look at him then starts to walk towards him, leaving the other girl.

Mina wakes up. She’s breathing heavily. She blinks a few times and turns her head to the side. Nayeon is sleeping peacefully beside her. She reaches for her phone to see what time it is. It’s a quarter to 3am. It was just a dream but it scared her because it felt so real.

 

//////////

 

Mina goes to university now. Like how she was in high school, she studies a lot. She also still works part-time in the cafe. She calls her parents almost every day to check on them and give each other updates about their lives. Her video calls with Nayeon have lessened. She steered away her thoughts and attention from her and tried to focus on things that are worth focusing on. Doing a lot of things was a great distraction and it made her forget about the confusing things she was feeling and she’s becoming more clear now about her feelings for Joongki.

She and Joongki started becoming an official couple a little after he visited his family. He had told Mina that he was going to be back to Korea on the first day of school but he flew back to Korea without telling anyone two days before the second semester starts. 

That day, Mina received a package from him and the delivery guy—who was strangely wearing sunglasses inside the apartment building—asked her to open it in front of him, saying it was the sender’s request.

“You should check your messages.” He clears his throat. And he sounds familiar, too. “Mr. Song said he will send you a text saying that he requested it.”

Mina takes her phone from her back pocket and sees a message notification from Joongki. She opens the text and it says: “Believe the delivery guy and open the box in front of him. Don’t ask why” and a smiley.

“Okay.” Mina says suspiciously and takes the cutter the delivery guy handed her. She sits on the floor in front of the apartment’s door to be more comfortable in unboxing the package which took her a few minutes.

“Eh?” She finally opens it and takes something out. “A white shirt?” She asks and when she looks up, the delivery guy starts removing his face mask and sunglasses. Her eyes widens and jumps up in excitement. She throws her arms around his neck and hugs him. “Joongki! I knew your voice sounded familiar!”

He laughs, hugging her back. “There’s something on the shirt that I want you to see but let’s go inside first.”

Once they’re inside, Joongki takes the shirt from Mina and tells her that there’s still something in the box. Mina takes the box again and starts searching. She tilts the box and sees something glimmer as the sunlight hits it. She tilts it more and a silver ring falls on the floor. She lets out a silent gasp. Her eyes follow the ring as it rolls towards Joongki. He picks it up. She looks up at him who’s already wearing the shirt and she sees the question on it.

“Joongki. What- huh?” She stutters as he walks towards her.

“Mina, will you be my girlfriend?” He smiles nervously, handing her a black marker. Mina can see his hand shaking.

There are two choices under the question that’s written on the shirt: “Yes” and “YES!!!” Mina takes the marker and gladly checks the box beside the choice written in capital letters.

“Yes!” He goes to hug her tightly for a few seconds and pulls back to look at her. “You’re my girlfriend now!” His cheeks are already hurting from smiling. He almost forgets he’s holding a ring in his hand.

He takes Mina’s right hand and slips the silver on her ring finger. “I know you’re thinking that giving you a ring now is too much but I wanted to give it to you because you make me happy, Mina and you just made me the happiest man. Thank you for that.” He says with a soft look in his eyes.

She pauses a moment to take in the sight of the ring in her finger. Then, she returns her gaze to his eyes. “You make me happy, too.” She says, almost in a whisper. There’s only a little space between their faces.

Joongki wants to kiss her so badly. He knows she’s never kissed anyone before so he wants to make her first kiss—their first kiss—very special. But before he does it, he has to say something to her first.

“I love you, Mina.” He says, looking at her glimmering eyes. “When I was away for a few weeks, I realized how real it is and I couldn’t wait to see you again and ask you to be my girlfriend and I’m sorry it took a while.”

“We both needed it and I love you, too.” There’s nothing on Mina’s mind right now. She’s just absorbing the sincere eyes looking back at her that’s getting closer and closer. She closes her eyes and feels Joongki’s warm lips on hers.

When they end the kiss, Joongki holds her right hand, smiling.

“It looks beautiful.” Mina says. “Thank you.” She leans in for another kiss.

 


i swear there will be more minayeon scenes soon and minayeon fluff!
for those waiting for this, im sorry for the late update. it's hard to motivate myself these days and istg this was difficult for me to write because i had so many options on how i wanted this story to go but i certainly have an ending in mind and it's been sitting there for months that it wants to get written out already lol anyway, thanks for reading :))

let's be friends on twitter @namyoim :)) hehe