chapter 2

it feels like our story hasn’t ended yet

It’s Saturday afternoon and Mina’s at Nayeon’s room, watching Pretty Woman while sharing a pint of strawberry shortcake ice cream.

 


  Nayeon gets up to go to the bathroom. She pauses for a moment when she sees a black box slightly peeking out from Mina’s pocket.

 


  Coming back from the bathroom, Nayeon sits back down on the couch and takes the packet out from the other girl’s pocket, which surprises the latter.

 


  “What the hell are you doing?”

 


  “You still smoke?” Nayeon asks, raising the packet of cigarettes.

 


  Mina quickly grabs the packet from her hand and puts it back in her pocket. “no.”

 


  Nayeon raises her eyebrows at the response.

 


  “I still do. I never stopped.” Mina rolls her eyes. “But I’m not addicted to it and I’m not going to be addicted. I only smoke like two sticks a month so chill.

 


  “If your health isn’t enough reason for you to stop smoking, then at least think about the environment. You’re polluting the air.”

 


  Mina ignores her and turns her attention back to the movie.

 


  “You know I’m only concerned about you.”

 


  ~

 


 
    “So, what happened after he climbed up the tower and rescued her?”
 

 


 
    “She rescues him right back.”
 

 

 

 


  The movie ends with a kiss. It's a typical happy ending for a romantic movie.

 


  Nayeon doesn't miss the way Mina’s face distorts in dissatisfaction.

 


  “I mean, kissing is good but seriously, a hug would be better.” Mina says after a moment.

 


  “I get your point about the hugging thing.” Nayeon nods. “But you know what I don’t like?”

 


  “What?” Mina asks. Their eyes are still glued on the screen.

 


  “I don’t like it when the couples in novels or movies get married. I feel like that is when their romance will start to die off after getting married. ‘Cause you know, they spend more time with each other and then they'll get too familiar with each other. Then, the excitement fades away, too. They will get tired of each other. And then, one of them cheats.” Nayeon doesn’t notice the pissed look on Mina’s eyes. “My dad knew someone who cheated on his wife but he never got caught. He said it was so satisfying. I believe cheating is bad but at least it was somewhat beneficial to their marriage don’t you think?”

 


  “So, you’re saying cheating is an option?” Mina says with a hint of annoyance. “Nayeon, when you get married, you work hard for things like that to not happen, you don’t cheat.”

 


  “Hold on, that’s not what I meant.” Nayeon laughs. “Why are you getting so worked up? I just think that that’s what happens with married people and it really does happen sometimes.” Nayeon sighs and stands up. “And don’t worry. I’m not going to get married.” She takes the ice cream container and puts it on top of Mina’s head. Mina was quick enough to grab it before it falls off. “Eat all of that to cool your head.”

 

 

 


  //

 


   

 


  They’re at an outdoor basketball court. Mina had asked Nayeon to film her doing free-throws for her P.E. performance assessment.

 


  Mina’s stretching while Nayeon’s setting up her camera on a stand.

 


  “Hey, Mina.”

 


  “Hmm?”

 


  “Well… you know… Uhh. Son Chaeyoung. Are you close with her now?”

 


  “No. Why are you asking me that?” 

 


  “Then why does she keep calling Mina informally? I’m going to teach her a lesson.” Nayeon mutters to herself.

 


  “What did you say?”

 


  Nayeon ignores the question. “Let’s start.”

 


  Mina shrugs her own question off and picks up the ball.

 


  “By the way.” Mina stops on her tracks. “What did you write for the social studies assessment?”

 


  “Huh? Oh, um. Can we just start filming?”

 


  “You’re making me even more curious. Aren’t you going to tell me?”

 


  “Now that you’re curious, I don’t feel like telling you.”

 


  Mina scoffs. “Fine. I’m sure it’s something petty.’

 


  “Recording!” Nayeon yells, avoiding the subject.

 


  She watches as Mina repeatedly fails to shoot the ball in the ring. Nayeon feels defeated, too.

 


  “Ah, .” Mina mutters as she fails again.

 


   

 


  //

 


   

 


  It has gotten dark and the two girls are walking home.

 


  “Ugh, this is ridiculous. I didn’t even score once. If I don’t get into college of education, I’m going to kill the P.E. teacher.”

 


  “You hate elementary school kids. Why college of education?” Nayeon asks. “And Seoul National University of Education? Why go to Seoul when there are plenty of good schools here.”

 


  “I want to go to Seoul because I’m extremely smart. Who are you to stop me?”

 


  Nayeon’s taken aback by the question. She clears . “Anyway, you don’t suit being a teacher.”

 


  “That’s not important. I want to get a job, fulfill my parents’ wish and brag about it on holidays.”

 


  Nayeon nods. She clears again. “Wanna do this again tomorrow?”

 


  Mina stops walking so Nayeon does, too.

 


  “It’s Saturday, so we can film during the day.” Nayeon continues.

 


  “I’m meeting someone tomorrow.”

 


  “Who is it?”

 


  “Someone you don’t know.” Mina scrunches up her face.

 


  “Hey! I know all of your friends.”

 


  Mina draws air through her teeth. “So, this is how it feels.”

 


  Nayeon looks at her curiously.

 


  “You’re curious and I don’t feel like telling you.” Mina teases.

 


  Nayeon scoffs. She takes the ball from the other girl’s arm and playfully hits her head with it.

 


  Mina retaliates by kicking her but Nayeon was too quick to grab her foot with her other hand.

 


  “Let go.”

 


  “Say ‘please’.”

 


  “Just let go, Nayeon.”

 


  “I won’t until you say it.”

 


  “Please, you !”

 


  “’?’” Nayeon raises her foot even higher.

 


  “Ah- ah! That hurts.”

 


  Nayeon laughs at her and lets go of her foot. “You okay?”

 


  “Why you!” Mina attacks her with a punch on her arm and then elbows her back as Nayeon runs away from her.

 


  “Don’t hit me!”

 


  “Hey! Get over here!”

 


   

 


  //

 


   

 


  The next day, Mina gets in a taxi. She’s following her dad. She arrives at the destination but doesn’t come out until she sees her dad come out of his car. She sees a woman come out of his car, too.

 


  “Is that her?” She mutters under her breath. She pays the driver and gets out of the vehicle. The place looks like a building site. She hides behind the big tires and the bulldozers and excavators as she discreetly follows her father and the woman.

 


  The woman stumbles and Mina watches as her dad holds her hand to help her. The woman apologizes and her dad says, “It’s okay” and puts his arm around the woman’s shoulder. Mina starts getting teary as she follows them further. She sees them enter what seemed like a container office. She runs toward the window and suddenly stops. It’s the short-haired girl. They almost bump into each other as the other girl runs in the same direction.

 


  “What are you doing here?” They simultaneously uttered.

 


  //

 


  They sit below the window and the two girls explain to each other why they’re there.

 


  “Are you saying that my mom and your dad…” Chaeyoung gets cut because Mina starts crying. “But why here of all places?” Chaeyoung sighs. “I need to see.” She starts to stand up but Mina pulls her down.

 


  “I want to see, too.”

 


  “Will you be okay?”

 


  “No. But I still have to see them.” Mina hastily answers.

 


  Chaeyoung nods. They start to stand up but then the window is suddenly opened by someone from the inside.

 


  “He couldn’t come for several days, so he told me to air out the place.” They hear the woman—Chaeyoung’s mom—say. 

 


  “I see.” Mina’s dad responds. “You should move these to a better place.”

 


  The voices from the inside trail off. The two girls takes the chance to furtively peep from the window.

 


  They see that the woman is showing a music sheet to the man.

 


  “What do you think?” The woman asks.

 


  “It’s nice.”

 


  “She must be a piano major.”

 


  “Yes. I’m sure she’ll be really happy.”

 


  They duck down quickly. They laugh, realizing that they made a mistake about thinking that their parents are having an affair. They gasp as they hear Mina’s dad say, “I think I heard something.”

 


  Mina grabs Chaeyoung’s hand and runs away with her.

 


  They slow their pace as they got out of the site. Chaeyoung smiles as she watches the other girl pant in front of her. Mina’s still holding her hand. Mina only realizes it when they stop their pace. She looks at their intertwined fingers and Chaeyoung does, too. Then they look at each other. Chaeyoung gently lets go first. This makes Mina flustered.

 


  “Are you hungry?” The short-haired girl asks.

 


  “Yeah, I didn’t have breakfast.”

 


  Chaeyoung nods. “Me, too. Want to grab something to eat?”

 


  They found a food stall with tables and chairs by the beach. It’s windy. The sound of the waves crashing on the shore is relaxing.

 


  Mina inhales the fresh air. She can finally stop having suspicions about her dad.

 


  “Maybe we should’ve looked for a convenience store.” Chaeyoung says.

 


  Mina takes a whole slice of kimbap. “Why? It’s nice here. They gave us a lot, too.” She says almost incomprehensibly with a full mouth.

 


  Chaeyoung smiles and just watches her.

 


  Mina touches the corners of . “Is something on my face?”

 


  “Your nose is red.” Chaeyoung chuckles.

 


  Mina almost chokes. “It’s because I cried earlier.” She says, rubbing her nose.

 


  “You’re so cute.”

 


  Mina looks at her with a slight confusion painted all over her face and Chaeyoung just begins digging into the food. But Mina’s not removing her gaze. “Does what I said bother you?”

 


  “I can’t say it doesn’t bother me at all.”

 


  “That’s good then.”

 


  “Huh?” Mina said in a low voice, almost in a whisper.

 


  “Will you think of those words again before you go to bed tonight?” Chaeyoung smiles, the dimple on her cheek showing.

 


  Mina coughs. “I think I’m going to get indigestion.”

 


  The other girl laughs. “That’s not good.” She grabs the bottle of soda and pours some on the other girl’s glass. “Here, drink this.”

 


  Mina drinks it but the other girl is staring at her again. She coughs again as she almost chokes on her drink.

 


  ~

 


  Concurrently, Nayeon is walking around the neighborhood while eating a popsicle. She’s singing “So cute, so cute. You’re cute when you laugh” gaily, allowing herself to smile like an idiot while thinking about how cute Mina is in every way despite her occasional savageness. She hums as she continues walking. Then, she sees Mina’s mom walking with a carrier bag.

 


  “Auntie!” She calls out as she runs towards the lady.

 


  Mrs. Myoi stops and turns to her side. “Oh. Hi, Nayeon.”

 


  “Are you back from grocery shopping?” Nayeon holds the bag’s handle to help the lady as they continue walking.

 


  “Hey, don’t eat that. It’s not good for you.” She remarks as she sees the popsicle in the young girl's hand.

 


  “This will be the last.” Nayeon chuckles.

 


  “Your parents are still out of town?”

 


  “Yes. They said they're going to be home late later tonight.”

 


  “Then, why don’t you come over for dinner?”

 


  “Sure, thank you.”

 


  “Oh, by the way. Why didn’t you go to the library with Mina today?”

 


  “The library?”

 


  The lady nods. “Yes. She’s studying hard and you should, too.”

 


  ~

 


  Mina and Chaeyoung are sitting at the bus stop waiting shed, sipping yogurt drinks.

 


  “It’s my mom’s birthday next week. My dad always gets her a scarf.” Mina shares.

 


  “When’s your birthday?” Chaeyoung asks.

 


  “Why do you ask?”

 


  “Mine is during the winter. November 6
  th
  .”

 


  “Ah. Mine is May 7
  th
  .”

 


  Chaeyoung nods. “Where do you go after school? What do you do after school?” She asks curiously.

 


  “I go to the library to study after school. But, why do you keep asking questions?” Mina chuckles.

 


  “The teacher told me to ask you if I have any questions. I’m curious about you so I’m asking questions. Can’t I do that?”

 


  Mina’s about to say something but she’s hesitant. After a moment, she decides to say it anyway. “Do you know that you’re very cheesy?” She scrunches up her face. She feels a little awkward.

 


  Chaeyoung smirks. “Didn’t your heart flutter a little?”

 


  Mina just looks at her with her face still scrunched up. She’s obviously not amused at this short-haired girl’s antics. Chaeyoung could see it in the look on her face. “Never mind then.” Chaeyoung says, taking away her gaze from the other girl. Then, she looks at her again and laughs seeing that Mina’s still staring at her judgingly.

 


  Mina’s phone vibrates. She looks at the name of the caller.
 
    Nayeon.
 

  She quickly rejects the call.

 


  ~

 


  Nayeon puts her phone down after seeing her call get rejected. She’s sitting at the dining table.  nervously. She coughs. Mrs. Myoi’s right—popsicles aren’t good for your health.

 


  Mrs. Myoi comes back with a bag of leeks. “She’s not picking up? She must be studying with her phone on silent.”

 


  Nayeon nods. “Yes, probably. She tends to be too focused when she studies.”

 


  “By the way, auntie.’

 


  “Yes?”

 


  “This is about my friend.”

 


  ~

 


  It’s already dark and Mina’s about to reach home. She looks behind her and then stops. She continues walking again and then stops again. She turns around. She thought Chaeyoung already went her way, but she’s still walking behind her.

 


  “Why are you going this way when you live over there?” Mina points to the opposite direction.

 


  “I have something to do here.”

 


  Mina looks at her suspiciously.

 


  “I really do.”

 


  “It’s not something like
 
    taking me home safely
 

  , right?”

 


  Chaeyoung laughs. “I take piano lessons here. There’s no piano studio in my neighborhood.”

 


  “Is it Sachi’s Piano Studio?”

 


  “Yes. You go there, too?”

 


  “Actually, it’s my mom’s and she teaches there, too.”

 


  “Oh? That’s cool.

 


  ~

 


  Nayeon’s helping Mrs. Myoi’s slice the leeks.

 


  “What about your friend?”

 


  “Well, so I… I mean, my friend. He’s really confused about how he feels and how the girl he likes feels. If things don’t work out after he confesses without certainty, they might grow apart. He’s really afraid of that.”

 


  Mrs. Myoi senses something. She chuckles. “Hmm. Well, there’s something I always tell my students. ‘Ask if you don’t know. If something is confusing and you can’t choose, just ask. Ask the person who can give you the answer. That’s the fastest and the most precise way.”

 


  Nayeon nods. “I see.”

 


 
 
    But
 

  , only after you go to college.” She says, emphasizing the first word.

 


  Nayeon’s taken aback. She feels like she just exposed herself (she just did). She tenses up and her slicing becomes a bit hasty. 

 


  “Ask after you go to college. It's not going to be too late.” Mrs. Myoi gives her a knowing look.

 


  Nayeon coughs. She blames the popsicle for making itchy. But she noticed how Mrs. Myoi’s directing it to her now as if she knows Nayeon’s talking about herself.

 


  “Tell your friend what I said, okay?” Mrs. Myoi smiles.

 


  “Oh, right. I will tell my friend. I definitely will.”

 


  They hear footsteps approaching. “I’m hom-“

 


  Nayeon turns around. “Oh, you’re back from the library?” She smiles at her friend mischievously. 

 


  “Ye- yes.” Mina stuttered.

 


  “Are you hungry? Dinner’s almost ready.” Her mom says. “Go wash your hands.”

 


  “Okay.”

 


  Nayeon watches Mina with a slight glare and so much suspicion as she goes to wash her hands.

 


  After dinner, Mina goes to her room. She’s thinking about what happened today and spending time with Chaeyoung. A few moments later, she hears Nayeon thank her mom for the dinner and that she’s going home. Mina her teeth.
 
    “Why am I feeling guilty?”
 

  She groans and plops into her bed.

 


  //

 


  At school, during lunchtime, right after their last morning class ended, Nayeon went to the teacher’s office to hand in an assignment for another subject. When she came to the cafeteria, Mina wasn’t there. Their friends said she left with Chaeyoung. Nayeon immediately went looking for them. She figured they must be at the school wall since it has become known recently that that’s where Chaeyoung usually goes during lunch breaks.

 


  The two girls were just standing beside each other without talking. They didn’t notice Nayeon walking in until Nayeon took Mina’s cigarette from and saying, “What are you two doing polluting the air?”, as she does.

 


  “Give me that!” Mina tries to get it back. Nayeon budges. “Come on, it’s just today.” Mina protests.

 


  Mina rolls her eyes at her.

 


  “Go back inside and eat your lunch.”

 


  Mina grabs Chaeyoung’s wrist but Nayeon stops her. “She’s staying for a while.” 

 


  “It’s okay, Mina.” Chaeyoung smiles slightly at her. Mina looks at her apologetically before she walks away.

 


  “If you want to be a bad influence to someone, choose someone else.”

 


  “She was the one who asked me to go here with her and offered me a stick.” Chaeyoung chuckles. “What are you to her anyway? I’m assuming you’re either her second mother or her girlfriend. Which one are you?”

 


  “Neither.” Nayeon glares at her. “I’m her bestfriend.”

 


  “But you like her right?”

 


  “What’s in it for you?”

 


  Chaeyoung chuckles humorlessly. “Knew it. Don’t worry, I won’t tell her. She doesn’t have to know.”

 


  “What do you mean?” Nayeon asks, her head slightly tilted.

 


  Chaeyoung just shrugs and walks away.

 


  //

 


 
    ~A few months later~
 

 


   

 


  Nayeon’s feeling under the weather. After school, as they’re walking in the hallway of their school building, Mina reaches up to the girl's forehead. “You’ve been coughing since yesterday and you have a fever. You should go see a doctor.”

 


  Nayeon coughs. “Come with me to the clinic.”

 


  “What are you, a little kid? I have to study in the library.”

 


  “Until what time? 10pm? Just study at home.” Nayeon whines.

 


  “I go to the library every day. What’s wrong with you?”

 


  “I was with you every time.” Nayeon suddenly stops. Is her concern for her friend being too obvious? The other girl looks at her, a bit confused. “Nayeon-”

 


  “Whatever.” She cuts her. “The bike. You have to bring the bike since I can’t ride it because I’m sick. You’re gonna have to go alone. When it gets dark while you’re riding you might fall and hurt yourself. What are you going to do then, huh?”

 


  “What?” Mina chuckles. “Just go to the clinic, Nayeon.” Mina pushes her.

 


   

 


  //

 


   

 


  10:33pm. Mina just got out of the library. She’s unlocking Nayeon’s bicycle when it suddenly rains. But she notices that she’s barely getting rained on. She looks up and sees Chaeyoung holding an umbrella over her. She’s once again flashing her flirty smile—with her dimple showing.

 


  “You don’t have an umbrella, do you? It was worthwhile waiting.”

 


  Mina just stares at her.

 


  “It’s about time I look cool to you.”

 


  “Did I tell you that you’re really cheesy?”

 


  Chaeyoung nods. “You mean your heart fluttered again, right?”

 


  Mina laughs.

 


  “Do you want to leave that and walk with me?” Chaeyoung points to the bike.

 


  Mina stops what she’s doing and gets up.

 


  “Sure, we can walk together.” Mina smiles at her.

 


   

 


  Mina looks at her. She feels two things. She feels her heart flutter but she also feels the guilt she had felt last night after hanging out with the same girl walking beside her.

 


  It’s pouring but the two are enjoying the walk. They’re having conversations about some silly stuff that happened today at school and about pets and music. When the rain stopped, they didn’t even notice it. Chaeyoung is still holding the umbrella over them. They take a few not so discreet glances at each other and when their eyes meet, they smile at each other.

 


  They’re already outside Mina’s house and she wouldn’t realize that if Chaeyoung didn’t stop walking and say “We’re here.” She smiles, a little disappointed.

 


  Mina smiles at her. “Thanks for today. I’m going in. You should go home, too. Bye.” Mina starts walking towards the gate of their house when Chaeyoung grabs her hand. “Mina.”

 


  Mina turns around. “Hmm?”

 


  “By any chance… Can you answer my question today?”

 


  “What? What question?” She suddenly feels nervous.

 


  “On my first day, we met in front of the school wall.”

 


  Mina nods. “What about it?”

 


  “Since then, we accidentally met a few times, I asked you questions, and we laughed together.” Chaeyoung swallows a lump in . “It was all my expression of my feelings for you.” She could notice that the other girl doesn’t know what to say so she just continues. “I thought you knew.” She chuckles. “Maybe I should have just kept it short.” She clears . “I like you, Mina.” She takes in a deep breath. “Will you be my girlfriend?”

 


  Mina looks at her. She internally asks herself why she’s hesitating. She looks over to the direction of Nayeon’s room beside her house.

 


  ~

 


  Mina goes to bed that night with a heavy heart.

 


  //

 


  It’s been a few days since Chaeyoung asked Mina the
 
    question
 

  .

 


  Mina and Tzuyu’s walking toward their classroom. As they enter, they see Chaeyoung walking towards the door to go outside the room. They stop walking. Mina’s smile fades. Mina lets the short-haired girl pass through. The latter smiles at her with closed lips. Mina doesn’t smile back. Tzuyu observes them suspiciously. She pulls her friend closer. “What’s with the way she looks at you?”

 


  “Wh-what are you saying? That’s ri-ridiculous.”

 


  “Oh, then why are you stuttering?” Tzuyu raises her eyebrows. “I think I get it.”

 


  “Where’s Nayeon?” Mina says to try to change the subject, but she’s also genuinely curious where her friend is. She looks toward the latter’s desk. She’s not there. “She’s not in the nurse’s office and didn’t come for lunch.”

 


  “I saw Momo and Jihyo earlier. They were going out to the field to play soccer.”

 


  “She couldn’t have gone with them, could she?” Mina says, concerned.

 


  They look over at the chalkboard.
 
    “Last soccer match, losing team pays for food”
 

  is written on it.

 


   

 


  Nayeon’s walking outside with Momo and Jihyo. “Did you tell the teacher?” Jihyo asks her.

 


  “You should’ve told us that you have a fever.” Momo says.

 


  “I’ll go home.” Nayeon says, her voice sounding tired.

 


  “I’m jealous of you.” Jihyo hugs her. “Please talk to my mouth. I want to get it, too.” She opens wide in front of Nayeon’s face.

 


  “Hey, stop that.” Momo pulls Jihyo away from the sick girl. “Go home. Get some rest.”

 


   

 


  The whistle blows to signal the start of the soccer match. Nayeon decides to watch them play. She sees Chaeyoung is playing, too. She clenches her jaw as the girl scores a goal. It makes her want to play too and beat her team.

 


  Mina and Tzuyu go to the bleachers hand in hand to watch the game. They clap along with the other students as they watch Chaeyoung score a goal.

 


  Nayeon looks over in the bleachers and sees Mina cheering. She clenches her teeth. She’s looking pale and weak but she suddenly has energy and she runs down the stairs and towards the soccer field. She removes her bag from her back as well as her jacket. “Park Jihyo!” The girl turns around and sees Nayeon beckoning her.

 


  ‘What are you doing here?” Jihyo asks but Nayeon pulls her, making her stumble.

 


  Nayeon replaces Jihyo. She runs towards Chaeyoung who has the ball. She pulls the back of the latter’s shirt, causing her to fall on her back. Nayeon kicks the ball. She runs toward the opposite direction and jumps over Chaeyoung. Mina stands up. “Why is she playing?” Tzuyu looks up at her and she looks down. Both having a surprised and confused look.

 


   

 


  Nayeon kicks the ball in an effort to steal it from Chaeyoung but the latter was able to quickly pass the ball to her teammate. Nayeon slides and falls. Mina looks concerned as the latter looks like she’s hurt. Chaeyoung runs back toward Nayeon who’s lying on the ground and offers a hand. Nayeon rejects the help by hitting her hand. She stands back up on her own. “Pass!” She yells to her teammate.

 


  Nayeon grabs Chaeyoung’s arm and pulls her but she’s too weak to make her fall on the ground. Nayeon’s barely making it through the game. Her energy is drained. She can barely run fast. She falls a few times.

 


  Chaeyoung’s playing well. She strikes another goal and their team shouts in celebration. “Chaeyoung!” A teammate calls out and high-fives her. Nayeon clenches her jaw, determined at winning and making Chaeyoung look like a loser.

 


  Mina, Tzuyu, and Jihyo are standing beside the field.

 


  “Momo!” Tzuyu calls out, holding out a water bottle as the other girl runs toward their direction. Momo pauses to drink the water.

 


  “She’s… Why is she so fast?” Jihyo asks, pointing at Nayeon. “I thought she was going home. She’s running so fast.”

 


  “What’s wrong with her?” Mina says.

 


  “It isn’t something sad like it’s her last soccer match in her life, right?” Tzuyu adds.

 


  “She shouldn’t be doing that today. It’s dangerous.” Momo says, panting.

 


  “Aren’t you taking too much break?” Tzuyu asks. Then Momo goes back to the game.

 


  “Pass here!” Nayeon yells. She’s being blocked by Chaeyoung near the goal post. When the ball is coming towards Nayeon, she hits it with her head but she ends up hitting the goal post. She lands on the ground, unconscious. The players gather around her.

 


  “Nayeon, are you okay?”

 


  “Nayeon?” A player asks as she touches the unconscious girl’s neck to check her pulse.

 


  “Wake up.”

 


  “Call an ambulance! Hurry!” One player yells.

 


  //

 


  Nayeon wakes up and finds herself in a hospital. She slightly opens her eyes and sees the white ceiling above her. Then, she looks down and sees Mina glaring at her. She closes her eyes again and pretends she’s still passed out.

 


  Mina tuts. “Hey.”

 


  Nayeon doesn’t move.

 


  “Hey!” She stands up and hits Nayeon’s forehead which startled the latter. “I know you’re awake.”

 


  Nayeon rolls over to her side.

 


  “Yeah, you should be embarrassed.”

 


  Nayeon huffs at the nagging. “Just go.”

 


  “Are you in your right mind? Are you crazy? Did you take the wrong medicine? Your temperature was like 38°C. Why did you suddenly jump in?” Mina hits her shoulder as she says these things and she’s startled as the other girl suddenly gets up.

 


  Nayeon sighs. The look on her face scares Mina a little.

 


  “What?” Mina says nervously.

 


  “Are you done?”

 


  Mina doesn’t respond.

 


  “I have a question.” Nayeon sighs and shakes her head. “No. I have something to tell you.”

 


  “You do? Why do you sound so-”

 


  “Meet me at the park at 10 later tonight.” Nayeon says with a straight face.

 


   

 


  //

 


   

 


  Later that day, in her room while doing homework, Mina’s thinking about what Nayeon said. She looks over at her alarm clock. It’s 7:45pm. She shakes her head and tries to focus on her homework. She glances at the clock again. “Ugh.” She puts her clock away so she won’t be too tempted to look at it again.

 


  It’s her mother’s birthday. She’s singing the happy birthday song to her with her dad.

 


  She looks up at the wall clock. It’s 9:40pm. She looks back down and cheers as her mom blows the candles on the birthday cake.

 


  “Mom, happy birthday.” She takes the box beside her and gives it to her mom.

 


  “Oh my!” Her mom opens the box and takes out a red lipstick. “This is too y.”

 


  “It got it for you because it’s spring.” Mina laughs.

 


  “It’s really pretty! Thanks, dear.” Her mom kisses her forehead.

 


  “Honey, happy birthday.” Mina’s dad hands over a bigger box.

 


  “Oh.” Mrs. Myoi laughs. She opens it and takes out a scarf.

 


 
    A scarf?
 

 


  Mina’s smile fades.

 


  Her mom sighs. “You get me a scarf every year. But still, thank you.” She kisses her husband on the cheek. The couple laughs.

 


  Mina’s mind is in a daze. She hears her dad say, “Let’s eat. This cake looks good.” And then she hears her mom say the cake looks pretty.

 


  Later that night, she goes back to her room. She recalls that time when she followed her dad and suspected that he was having an affair with the woman that turned out to be Chaeyoung’s mom. The conversation she heard between her dad and the woman echoes in her head.

 


 
    “She must be a piano major.”
 

 


 
    “Yes, I’m sure she’ll be really happy.”
 

 


  She remembers she has to meet Nayeon. The clock is ticking. Time won’t pause for her and wait until she moves. She stands up and goes out.

 


  //

 


  She’s at the front of her mom’s piano studio. She enters, looks around, and sees the piano teacher. The woman is holding the music sheet Mina had seen that Chaeyoung’s mom sold to her dad.

 


  She hasn't even said any word but the woman holding the music sheet already looks guilty. She quickly closes the sheet and swallows a lump in . Then, they hear footsteps coming from downstairs. 

 


  “Here’s your coffee.” Mr. Myoi says, smiling at the woman. He turns around and sees her daughter standing by the entrance. His smile fades. “Mina?”

 


  Mina takes deep breaths.
 
    This can’t be happening
 

  . She turns around and leaves.

 


  ~

 


  “I’m on my way home. Yes.” Chaeyoung says on her phone. “Oh, mom. I left my uniform jacket at the studio. I’ll be a little late. See you.” She sighs and runs back to the studio.

 


  ~

 


  As Mina leaves, her dad runs after her. “Mina!” He touches her shoulder and Mina turns around.

 


  “It’s not what you think it is.”

 


  “It was tough getting that music sheet, wasn’t it? You gave that to her and you’re saying I’m wrong? Then what is it? What is going on, dad?”

 


  “I just wanted to give it to her.”

 


  “What?”

 


  “I mean it. I found out that she wanted it and I just wanted to give it to her. That’s all. There’s nothing more to it.”

 


  “Dad!” Mina raises her voice.

 


  Seeing that his daughter’s not going to believe her lies, he sighs and gives up. “I tried not to. But… I couldn’t help it.”

 


  Mina can’t bear what she’s hearing so she runs away again and starts to cry.

 


  “Mina!” Her dad sighs with a defeated look on his face.

 


  ~

 


  It’s 10 minutes before 10pm and Nayeon’s already at the park. She rubs her hands in her jeans, rubbing off the nervousness she’s feeling. She takes deep breaths, thinking about what she’s going to say to Mina. After a few minutes, she takes her phone out to see the time. It’s 9:55.
 
    She should be here any minute.
 

 


  Mina walks toward the park and she stops when she sees Nayeon sitting on the bench. She’s unsure whether she should meet her or not. She wipes her tears away. She remembers what Chaeyoung had said before asking her out. Mina brings herself back to that night, thinking about how things would turn out if she gave Chaeyoung a different answer.

 


 
    “I like you, Mina. Will you be my girlfriend?”
 

 


  She recalls the way she hesitated to answer and the way she looked over at Nayeon’s window before she responded to the other girl.

 


 
    “No. Sorry, Chaeyoung.”
 

 


 
    “Is it because of Nayeon?”
 

 


 
    The answer is ‘yes’ but Mina didn’t say it. Chaeyoung gets it.
 

 


  And she remembers what her dad had said earlier.
 
    “I tried not to. But I couldn’t help it.”
 

 


  She finally understands why she felt guilty hanging out with Chaeyoung that day when she lied about going to the library and the other times they spent time together. Although she never verbally admitted that the short-haired girl made her heart flutter, she knows she likes her. She likes Chaeyoung but Nayeon is holding her back. Mina’s not sure why. Nayeon was the reason why she couldn't say ‘yes’ to Chaeyoung. Nayeon makes her feel like it’s not the right thing to do.

 


  Mina knows why Nayeon wanted to meet with her tonight. And the reason why Mina’s turning around and leaving, with tears rolling down her face, is because she feels terribly guilty for having feelings for Chaeyoung because she feels like she’s just like her dad. She feels like she’s cheating on Nayeon even though she’s just a friend.

 


  There’s always been something going on, Mina could tell. Even though Nayeon never said it, Mina felt that Nayeon always had a crush on her. Nayeon always treated her differently and it’s not because they grew up together like siblings, she knows there’s something that’s not platonic in the way Nayeon looks at her. Mina noticed the changes.

At 10:05, Nayeon receives a text message from Mina.
 
    “I can’t go. Sorry.”
 

  She clenches her jaw. She feels like someone just dropped her heart and it’s broken into pieces. She went through all the anxious preparation for nothing. She feels tears start rolling down her face and she quickly wipes them away. “Why am I even crying? It’s pointless.” She mutters to herself and forces out a laugh. She stands up and goes home.

 


   

 


  //

 


   

 


  The sky is bright but the mood is gloomy. Nayeon leaves for school. She didn’t wait for Mina. She walks out with her bicycle, looking down. She raises her gaze and she sees the other girl looking at her with her newly-repaired bicycle. She had been waiting for her.

 


  “It’s fixed.” Mina lets out a small smile. “They said it works fine now.” Seeing the grim expression on the other girl’s face, Mina doesn’t wait for a reply. She turns around and walks away.

 


  Nayeon angrily drops her bike and runs toward Mina. She grabs her arm and the latter turns around.

 


  “What are you doing?” Nayeon asks. 

 


  “We’re going to be late.” Mina turns back around and proceeds to walk again.

 


  “Why didn’t you-“ Nayeon clenches her fists and takes a deep breath. “Why didn’t you call or text me all weekend?”

 


  Mina slowly faces her again. “What about you?”

 


  Nayeon scoffs. She takes her bike but she notices that the chain has been removed from the chain ring. So, she puts it back inside and decided to just walk to school.

 


  Mina just walks, too, pushing her bike on her side.

 


  Nayeon’s walking behind her.

 


  They pass through where Nayeon had saved her.

 


  “So you want to go separately from now on?” 

 


  Mina stops. “We don’t have to go on the same bike anymore.”

 


  Nayeon sighs. “That’s not what I’m saying!” She runs toward the other girl. 

 


  Mina turns around to face her. “Why do you think we didn’t call or text each other the whole weekend? I couldn’t give you the answer you wanted.”

 


  “So what?” Nayeon raises her eyebrows.

 


  “Let’s stop ignoring the truth.”

 


  “That girl…” Nayeon can’t even say her name. Are you saying you like her?”

 


  Mina turns around without responding and continues to walk.

 


  //

 


  “Stop it. Don’t treat me as if I cheated on you.” Mina says, kneeling down in front of the school’s entrance with Nayeon on her right and two other students on her left. A teacher made them do this as punishment for being late.

 


  “Then, why are you being like this to me if we are just friends?!”

 


  “I don’t know! I don’t ing know, Nayeon. Okay?! I don’t know!”

 


  A tear falls down on Nayeon’s cheek. They stare at each other. Mina feels guilty. Nayeon feels betrayed.

 


  “What are you doing?” The teacher says, holding a stick in her hand. “Hold your hands up. Hands up! Higher.” The four students hesitantly obey.

 


  They stayed there until the first period ended.

 


  Nayeon is walking in the hallway, going to their classroom and Mina’s walking a few meters behind her. Their steps are heavy. Mina stops. She takes a deep breath. “Nayeon.”

 


  The other girl stops and turns halfway. She can’t face the girl right now. “Since when did you start having feelings for her?” Her voice is shaky.

 


  Mina tells Nayeon about that Friday night, at around 10pm, when she was walking home, crying. 

 


 
    ~flashback~
 

 


 
    Her head was clouded at that time, the cold evening wind didn’t even bother her. Suddenly, she felt a touch of warm hand on her shoulder. She turns around and sees Chaeyoung.
 

 


 
    “I left something at the studio so I went back and saw what happened. I’m sorry.” The last two words came out almost in a whisper.
 

 


 
    “Chaeyoung… Why do you like me?”
 

 


 
    “What?”
 

 


 
    “You started to like me even though you knew nothing about me.”
 

 


 
    “I don’t think there should always be a reason to like someone.” Chaeyoung responds. “Then should I stop liking you if that reason does not exist?” She looks at the crying girl and she can see that she’s still waiting for an answer. She sighs. “But there was that moment.”
 

 


 
    “When was it?”
 

 


 
    “The school wall.”
 

 


  ~

 


  “I thought my heart fluttered because I fell from the wall.” Mina’s tears start to roll down her face again. “She kept doing things that make my heart flutter and I can’t help but like her more. I kept saying to myself that I don’t have feelings for her.” She says with a shaky voice. “But I couldn’t help it. I really couldn’t help it.”

 


  Just like what her father said.
 
    “I tried not to. But… I couldn’t help it.”
 

 


  Nayeon couldn’t help but cry. Her lips are trembling. Her heart is crushing. She sniffles and turns around. She wipes the tears away from her face, calms herself down, and starts walking.

 


  Mina just lets go of her tears. She closes her eyes tightly. She’s asking herself if she had done the right thing.

 


 
    Is hurting Nayeon the right thing?
 

 


  //

 


  Spring passes and the new season starts.

 


  One day, Mina decided to wait for Nayeon. The weather has gotten warmer so she’s wearing her school uniform with short sleeves. She waited for 15 minutes but the girl hasn’t come out yet. Maybe she already left. Mina looks at her wristwatch then looks over at Nayeon’s yard. She looks at her watch again. If she doesn’t leave now, she might get late.

 


  When she enters their classroom, she sees Nayeon sitting in her chair, looking outside the window.

 


  Nayeon is trying her best not to break down in class. She’s too focused on this that she can't concentrate on what the teacher is saying.

 


  Ms. Minatozaki calls out Nayeon’s name and two more students’. “Why didn’t you hand your project in? Hand it in by the end of this week, okay? That’s it. Class dismissed.”

 


  Mina glances at Nayeon who’s turning her head back to the view outside. She hopes that they can go back to normal again, but there’s a low chance for that to happen now since she ruined it so badly.

 


   

 


  //

 


   

 


  Mina’s in her room, reading a book. She suddenly hears the bell that is tied to the cup—the string phone. She quickly runs toward the window and pulls the curtain to the side. She opens a window.

 


  Nayeon’s standing by the window of her own room. She’s looking down, her eyes not meeting Mina’s.

 


  Mina smiles. “You didn’t open your window the whole summer.”

 


  Nayeon throws something at her. Mina looks at it. It’s a flash drive.

 


  “It’s the videos of your basketball practice. It’s not that many. Why didn’t you ask for it?” Nayeon said coldly. Then, she was about to close her window but she takes a quick glance at Mina,
 
    finally
 

  , who’s still staring at the flash drive.

 


  Nayeon sighs and without looking at the other girl, she says, “I watched it while editing. You are really bad at basketball because you don’t like basketball. Don’t make your decisions based on other people or jobs. If you hate something, no matter how hard you try, you can’t do it. You can hold it in for a few years but not for the rest of your life.”

 


  Mina nods softly. “Hey, Nayeon.”

 


  Nayeon begins to close her windows back. “Take care of your own business.”

 


  “Nayeon!” She calls out again before the other girl could close her windows completely. “Will you not look at me forever?”

 


  Nayeon nods. “I won’t. I hate seeing the sight of you.” She grabs a pair of scissors and cuts the red string of their phonestring. 

 


  “What are you doing?” Mina asks and she’s about to say something but Nayeon ignores her and quickly closes her windows and draws back her curtains. Mina stares at the window.
 
    I guess she’ll never talk to me again.
 

 


  //

 


  Summer passes and then fall arrives. The leaves have turned to yellow and orange.

 


  The rest of the school year seemed to pass by so quickly.

 


  Another season starts and the school year finally ends.

 


  They have finally graduated from high school. Mina decides to take a gap year and go to Seoul while she decides what she really wants to major in.

 


  //

 


  “My family doesn’t care about me anymore ever since I said I’m going to take a gap year.” Mina says on her phone. She’s getting ready to leave and she’s checking her room to see if she forgot anything. “Yeah, I’ll just take the taxi. The station isn’t that far from here. Okay. See you in Seoul.” She puts her phone inside her sling bag and takes a final look around her room. She then walks toward her window and opens it. The phone string got pulled with it and it fell on the floor, making a ringing sound. She picks it up and smiles. She pulls the string and notices the knot on the red string.

 


  Nayeon had cut the string but several days later, she decided to tie the ends together again. Just like the strings, she felt ready to reconnect with Mina. How can she not when she knew that the other girl is leaving. Her mom told her about the news.

 


  //

 


  At the subway station, while Mina’s waiting for the train, she turns to her left and sees Nayeon standing a few meters away from her looking at her. She’s smiling. She’s finally smiling at Mina. Her heart starts to race. She lets her hand go of her luggage handle. She wants to run to the girl and hug her tightly and say how much she misses her. But she doesn’t take a single step.

 


  Nayeon starts walking towards her. It felt like a long walk and as she gets closer, she remembers the first time she felt something for Mina. It was when they were 14 years old. She was standing by her window and when she saw Mina, she quickly closed hers and plops on her chair. It was her first experience at having a crush so she didn’t know what to do about it and she kept it to herself. She started being a bit cold to Mina just to hide her feelings. She remembers how she would stand on her toes and look over the yard to check when Mina leaves their house so she could walk or ride the bike with her to school. She remembers how grateful she was that the other girl’s bike got broken, so she can ride on one bike with her. She also remembers that night when it was raining heavily and she ran back to school even though she wasn’t feeling well, just because she wanted to make sure Mina gets home safely.

 


 
    “Come with me to the clinic.”
 

 


 
    “What are you, a little kid? I have to study in the library.”
 

 


 
    “Until what time? 10pm? Just study at home.” Nayeon whines.
 

 


 
    “I go to the library every day. What’s wrong with you?”
 

 


 
    “I was with you every time.”
 

 


  She also remembers that night when she was supposed to meet Mina at the park. She went back to school for Mina because she knows Mina doesn’t bring an umbrella. She saw when Chaeyoung opened her umbrella for Mina. She remembers the jealousy she felt but she doesn’t feel it anymore now.

 


  And she remembers when she was walking home from the park and she saw Mina talking to Chaeyoung. Nayeon remembers how it felt, like her heart’s being crushed as though it didn’t already break earlier that night when she received Mina’s text that she couldn’t meet her.

 


  But that’s all in the past now. Her heart will stay broken for a while but she will heal over time. But she can’t stay angry at the person who broke it. 

 


  She finally reaches Mina and now they’re standing in front of each other. Nayeon smiles at her. “It’s been a long time, Mina.”

 


  A tear rolls down the latter’s cheek. “It’s been a really long time.” Her voice is shaky. “You totally ignored me at school.” She sniffs. “How did you know that I was going to Seoul?”

 


  “It’s hard not to know. I heard you’re taking a gap year.”

 


  Mina nods. “Yes. I don’t know what I want to do yet but I’m sure it’s not the college of education.”

 


  Nayeon nods. “I’m glad to finally hear you admit that. You make me proud.”

 


  Mina chuckles, her cheeks getting warm. “How have you been?”

 


  Nayeon smiles with her lips closed. “Not so good. I’ve been ignoring you. How could I be okay?”.

 


  Mina looks at her in the eyes. Her chest feels heavy. She feels sorry for what she did to Nayeon. Tears roll down her cheeks. She her drying lips.

 


  Nayeon can’t stand watching her crying like this. She wants to say it’s fine and she’s going to be fine. She takes a step closer and wipes Mina’s tears away with her thumbs. “I’m sorry.” She swallows a lump in . “‘How I should face you… What I should say to you… What should I do with you and not do with you…’ I kept asking myself these questions but I just had no idea what to do and how.”

 


  Mina lets out a heavy sigh.

 


  “But I thought I should say goodbye.” As Nayeon said those words, snowflakes started to fall. “Goodbye, MIna.”  She says with a closed-lips smile, trying not to cry. 

 


  Mina smiles back at her and nods reassuringly.

 


  The smile on their faces fades when they hear the sounds of a train approaching.

 


  Mina looks at the approaching train and then looks back at Nayeon.

 


  Nayeon looks down and looks back at Mina. She takes another step closer and pulls her gently by the head with one hand and by her back with the other. 

 


 
    “I think a tight hug is good for an ending. That seems more heart-warming and it feels like their story hasn’t ended yet.”
 

 


  Nayeon hugs her tightly and Mina hugs her back.

 


  “A tight hug for an ending to warm your heart.” Nayeon says, forcing a smile. She couldn’t contain her tears anymore.

 


  “Call me or text me anytime, okay?” Mina feels Nayeon nod against her neck and shoulder.

 


  Mina sniffs Nayeon’s scent for the last time before loosening her embrace. She looks at Nayeon, her arms still around the other girl’s waist. “I love you.”

 


  Nayeon knows what she meant by that and it’s not the three words she hoped the girl would say to her. Maybe someday she will. But she has to accept that maybe she won’t. “Love you, too, dork.” she says jokingly, almost failing to force a smile. Nevertheless, it made the other girl laugh and the atmosphere lighter.

 


  The train stops. Mina takes a step back, takes her luggage and goes inside. Nayeon waves at her, hoping that the grip of Mina’s hand on her heart loosens.