chapter 3

it feels like our story hasn’t ended yet

 

 

When Mina arrived in Seoul, her older cousin, Haein, picked her up at the train station. Haein is a Film student and is Mina’s only cousin. They’re very close and treat each other like siblings. His mom and Mina’s dad are siblings. When they were young, before he became a high school student, Haein and his family would go to Korea to visit the Myouis almost every summer. His parents own an agency for actors in Japan which made Haein interested in film. He offered Mina a room in his apartment that his parents bought for him.

Mina is in her room, unpacking, when her cousin knocks on the unclosed door and comes in.

“Uncle told me you’re not going to study Education anymore.” He says, approaching to sit beside her.

“Yeah, I realized I shouldn’t be a teacher.”

“Since we were little kids, once you’ve set your mind on something, you’ll go for it no matter what—even when you realize later that it’s wrong.” Haein puts his arm around Mina’s shoulder. “You have finally matured.”

“Nayeon said that it’s stupid to be always practical. Why am I bad at making decisions?” Mina turns to her cousin.

“Because you’re so good academically. You gotta be bad at something.”

Mina chuckles. “I thought you have a project to film.”

“I do.” He looks at his wristwatch and stands up. “We’re filming until midnight. There’s food in the fridge. You already know what to do. And if you need anything, don’t call me. I’ll be busy.”

Mina chuckles. “Don’t worry about me.”

“I won’t.” He smiles at her and heads out the door. “Bye.”

After Mina finishes unpacking, she looks around the room and sighs. She already misses her own room. The only times she left home was for vacations and school trips, never to stay for a long time.

She looks out the window then she hears her phone vibrate. She takes it from her back pocket and unlocks it. her lips curl into a smile when she sees who the notification is from.

Nayeon sent you a photo

She opens the kakaotalk app to see it.

It's a selfie of nayeon in their kitchen and Mrs. Myoi can be seen in the back, doing a taste test.

Mina smiles. Nayeon knows she easily gets homesick and she knows this will make her feel better.

“what are you doing at my house?” Mina texts back.

“my parents are out of town so i’m going to have dinner at your house. auntie said she'll video call you later. she already misses you. when are you coming back?”

Mina softly chuckles at the silly question. Her heart tightens a little and her shoulders feel lighter. This is the first text she’s ever received from Nayeon after a while. She’s glad they’re back to being friends again.

“I just arrived in Seoul and you want me to come home already?”

 

/////////////////////////////////

 

Mina has been working as a lawyer’s assistant. She doesn’t like working there but she needs money and she doesn’t want to bother her parents with her finances.

She just arrives home from work. She opens the door and sees two guys in the living room playing PlayStation. Haein takes a quick glance at her.

“Hey. Have you had dinner yet?”

“I haven't.”

“I ordered food. They’re on the table.” He says as the game ends.

The guy sitting next to him turns his head to look at the cousin in question.

“Hello.” He smiles at her.

“Mina, this is my friend, Joongki.” Haein gestures to his friend. “And Joongki, this is my little cousin, Mina.” He turns to gesture to his cousin.

“Hi.” Mina smiles and bows her head politely. “You can go back to your game.” She says and goes to her room.

They start another round of the game. Mina comes out a few minutes later. She's wearing pink short shorts and a white shirt. Her hair in a messy bun, revealing that she did her hair in a rush.

Joongki elbows Haein. “Your cousin is pretty.”

“Stop drooling over my little cousin and just focus on the game!” Haein yells.

“You didn’t have to yell that out.” Joongki elbows him again, but now harder.

“Don’t worry. She’ll pretend she didn’t hear.”

And Mina does. she just goes straight to the kitchen.

“Hotness runs in our blood.” Haein adds.

“Arrogance, too, without a doubt.” Joongki retorts.

The two guys go to the dining table to join Mina.

“Hey. How was work?” Haein asks as he takes the seat beside Mina and Joongki takes the seat across from them.

“Same as always. I still hate it.”

“Why don’t you find a better job? You’re too smart to be just an assistant.”

“An assistant’s assistant.” Mina corrects him. She sighs. “I’m eyeing an opening in this coffee shop. I got to talk to a staff there. She said one of their staff members is going to leave soon.”

“Why don’t you find some office work? That’ll fit you better.” Haein takes two burgers from the take-out bag and hands one to his friend.

“It would be easier to leave the coffee shop once I start going to university next year.”

Joongki swallows and clears his throat. “Is it the 132 Cafe? I can recommend you to my boss there if you want.”

“You work there?” Mina asks.

“Yeah. I’m the staff that’s going to quit soon.”

“You’re quitting?” Haein gives him a surprised look. “I don’t think that cafe will survive without your charms. Uni girls go there only for you.”

“Don’t lie in front of your cousin.” Joongki snickers.

“It’s the truth! Mina, you’ll see. You’ll find your girl customers decreasing once they find out they’ll never see the arrogantly handsome barista again.”

“Maybe they’ll find more guy customers.”

“Don’t try to flirt with my cousin right in front of my cheeseburger!”

Mina giggles, looking down, shy, as she tucks her hair behind her ear.

“My sister needs me. She doesn’t like leaving her baby with a babysitter everyday. At least I’ll get paid playing with my baby niece. Plus, I can focus on my thesis more, too.” Joongki explains even though no one asked for it.

Their conversation gets interrupted when Joongki's phone rings.

"Noona… No, I want to go with you so next time I know where to buy baby’s needs. Yeah, no problem. I'll be there. Bye"

“I have to go. My sister needs me.” He turns to Mina. “I’ll recommend you to my boss, don’t worry.” He smiles at her as he stands up.

“I said no flirting in front of my burger!” Haein throws a crumb at him.”

“I’m not picking that up.” Joongki says while walking out of the kitchen and out of the apartment.

 

//

 

While it’s still summer break, Nayeon helps at her mom’s cafe everyday. She enjoys waiting tables and learning how to make different types of coffee drinks and milk teas. She used to hate working here but she somehow managed to love it. It’s a good distraction—she needs to remove Mina from her mind and the lingering pain in her chest whenever she thinks of the other girl and how she didn’t choose Nayeon. Everyday she works hard at the cafe so she can work less harder on moving on.

//

It’s not the first time Nayeon binge-watched episodes of Riverdale on a weekday and have work the following day but it’s the first time her alarm didn’t wake her up.

She woke up about an hour late today. She grunts when she sees the time and the amount of notifications from her mom. She quickly gets up to change to her working clothes. She takes an apple from the fridge before she heads out of the house. She rides her bicycle and drives as fast as she can and stops when she turns a corner and almost hits a girl walking on the side of the street.

“Oh ! I’m so sorry.” The girl turns and she realizes it’s, “Son Chaeyoung? I’m so-”

“You really hate me that much that you’re going to kill me with your bicycle?” Chaeyoung chuckles which gave Nayeon relief. “I’m kidding.” She smiles.

“I’m really sorry. I’m in a hurry. Where are you going? Maybe I can give you a ride as an apology.” Nayeon smiles at her apologetically.

“Nowhere. I’m just walking around.”

“Wanna have some coffee or a slice of cake? I’ll treat you.”

“You don’t have to but sure.” She shrugs.

“Hop on.”

 

Nayeon was almost two hours late when she arrived at the cafe. Chaeyoung takes a seat in a corner that’s farthest from the entrance.

“Mom, I’m so sorry. My alarm didn’t wake me up.” Nayeon takes her apron and starts fixing her hair in the backroom.

“It’s fine. Thank Jackson for coming in early to cover for you.”

“Thanks, Jack. You’re the best.” Nayeon comes out to the counter to switch the account on the cash register to hers.

“I hate it when you call me that.” Jackson scrunches up his face as he cleans the spilled coffee on the counter.

“I know. That’s why I always call you that.” Nayeon winks at her.

The guy bites his lower lip and groans. “Will you just be my girlfriend? Cuz you can’t keep doing things that makes me fall harder in love for you.”

“I’ll treat you when I get my salary.” She chuckles, ignoring his question. She loves teasing and messing up with this guy.

“I’d rather have you give me money instead. You only treat me in cheap street food stands.” He says as he continues cleaning the counter.

“Then I’ll bring you somewhere else.”

“A fancy restaurant.”

“You know I’m saving up for a car.”

“Will you be my girlfriend if I help you save up money for a car?”

“No.” She responds bluntly.

Nayeon laughs when she hears him complain to her mom about how she’s treating him. Then, she takes a menu and goes to Chaeyoung. “Which coffee do you want?” She shows her the menu.

“Oh, I’m not a coffee person.”

“A slice of cake then? Or some pastry?” She flips the menu to show the selection of cakes and pastries.

“Uh,” she looks at the menu. “Strawberry cake.”

“Alright, strawberry cake coming right up.”

A few moments later, Nayeon takes the slice of cake to Chaeyoung’s table and takes the seat across from her.

“I’m sorry about almost hitting you earlier.”

“You didn’t hit me so it’s fine.” Chaeyoung takes a small slice of the cake.

There’s a moment that Nayeon just watches her. Chaeyoung looks back at her. “If you wanna say something, just say it.” She smiles at her politely with closed lips.

Nayeon takes a deep breath. “I’m sorry for how I treated you before.”

“I have no problem with that anymore. I’ve moved on. I want to apologize too for trying to take her from you even though I knew you had something for her. By the way you acted when I’m around, you weren’t so good at hiding your jealousy.” Chaeyoung laughs.

Nayeon laughs, embarrassingly shaking her head.“I hated you. You were the lucky one.”

“Not really. She rejected me.” Chaeyoung takes another spoonful of the cake.

“She did? I thought you two were-” A furrow on Nayeon’s forehead.

“I’m surprised you didn’t know that. You were the reason that she rejected me. So, I thought she’d choose you.”

Nayeon shakes her head. “I overreacted. She felt like she was cheating on me even though I’m just her friend. But, I never asked her to be my girlfriend, because I wasn’t the one she liked and it’s cliche to say but I wanted to preserve our friendship. But I almost failed at that because of how I handled the situation.”

Chaeyoung nods in understanding.

“I’m just glad she chose neither of us.” Nayeon says, half-jokingly.

They both laugh.

“Let’s be friends?” Chaeyoung smiles at her, holding out her hand.

“Why not?” Nayeon shrugs and shakes the other girl’s hand.

“By the way, I’m going back to the US soon. My parents have to go back there for work. And I decided I’m going to study uni there.”

“When are you leaving?”

“Next week. What about you? Are you staying here or?”

“Yeah, I'm staying here. I'll leave this town after I graduate from uni.”

Another moment of silence but now, it’s comfortable.

“How can you move on so quickly?” Nayeon asks seriously, breaking the silence.

“The foundation of my feelings wasn’t that deep.”

Nayeon nods. She wishes it was that easy for her to move on from Mina, too. But the foundation had been formed for so long and it’s gotten deeper into the soil like an old tree that it’s harder to uproot it.

“You sound so nerdy. Maybe that’s why Mina liked you.” Nayeon jokes, trying to push away the ache that’s forming in her chest.

She excuses herself when a new customer comes in.

 

//

 

Mina goes to a library cafe on her day off from work.

While she’s looking through the books, she sees a guy wearing a black face mask staring at her. She tries to ignore him.

After a while, she picks a book and orders coffee. She goes to a table at the corner.

“Miss, are you alone?”

Mina’s a bit startled by the voice and when she looks up, she realizes the guy looks familiar. “Oh, you’re Haein oppa’s friend.”

“Can I sit with you?”

“Sure.”

He puts his coffee on the table and sits down across Mina.

“Sorry if I kind of surprised you.” He says, taking his face mask off.

“Nah, it’s fine. I just thought a creepy guy was following me. No big deal.” Mina laughs. “I’m kidding.”

Joongki laughs. “I’m sorry. I saw you enter this cafe and I was going to head here too so I thought I'd say hi.” He clears his throat. “So, hi.”

“Hi.” Mina smiles at him awkwardly.

He tilts his head, reading the title and author of the book Mina’s holding. “Carl Jung. Are you a psychology major?” He raises his eyebrows

“Nah, I just picked a random book from the Psychology section. I’m not in uni yet. I’m taking a gap year.” She chuckles.

“Oh, right. You’re working” He grunts. “Do you still wanna quit your current job?”

“I badly do.”

“Alright, I’ll tell my boss I got a replacement so he can let me go.” He chuckles.

“Thank you. I really appreciate your help.” Mina smiles. “So, what are you majoring in?”

“I’m taking Political Science. I’m in the same year as Haein.” He takes a sip again.

“So, you’re graduating next year, huh?”

“Yeah. I’m working on my thesis right now.”

Mina nods.

 

After a while, Joongki stands up.

“Uh...”

Mina looks up at him from her book.

“I need to go now. It was nice meeting you again.”

“Likewise.”

Before he leaves, he nervously asks, “Can I have your number?” When he sees a puzzled look on Mina’s face, he says, “So I can give your number to my boss.”

“Oh, yeah. Of course.”

Joongki takes out his phone and gives it to Mina.

“Can we hang out again sometime?” He says, chuckling nervously while she’s typing her number.

Mina feels her cheeks getting warm. She tucks her hair behind her ear when she suddenly struggles to type in the next digits of her cell phone number. “Yeah. We can hang out.”

“Here.” She hands his phone back.

“Great. I’ll text you.” He says, smiling widely before leaving.

 

/////////////////////////////////

 

“You’re starting your new job next Monday? What happened to your job as an assistant? And why are you drinking?” Nayeon asks through the video call.

“I was an assistant’s assistant.” Mina corrects her. “All I did was run to get coffee for them or to make coffee for them. If making coffee is what I’m gonna do, I might as well work at a coffee shop. At least there, it won’t be as boring as waiting for meetings to end and cleaning after them when they’re finished.”

Nayeon hums. “Fair enough. But I hope you stay in your new job longer than 2 months.”

“If it doesn’t bore me, I will stay.” Mina shrugs.

“Wait, you didn’t answer my other question. Why are you drinking?”

“I just want to.”

“Hmm, okay.” Nayeon lays down on her bed. “Have you been keeping in touch with Chaeyoung?”

“No. She hasn’t contacted me ever since I arrived here.”

“I met her a while ago and she said she’s going back to the US with her parents.”

“Oh, good for her.” Mina pauses for a moment.

Chaeyoung and Mina stayed friends but they never became close friends. Chaeyoung intentionally avoided her so that Nayeon would stop being mad at her.

“How’s school going for you?”

Nayeon groans, shifting in her bed. “I’m so glad midterms are over. I can finally have a real weekend break.”

“Do you like it so far?”

“Yeah. It’s cool. You know I’ve always wanted to study Film.”

Mina nods. A silent moment falls between the line.

 

// Flashback //

 

Joongki has told Haein about him asking for his cousin’s number. Before texting Mina, he asked Haein first if he could have dinner with her. Haein appreciated his friend asking for his permission first.

“Of course, man. It’s time you start dating someone again. It’s been a while since the last one.”

“Thanks, bro.”

“Take care of my little cousin if you don’t want me to ‘take care’ of you.” Haein gives him a serious look.

Joongki laughs. “No need to be scary. You know me. I’m a good guy.”

 

A few days later, Mina receives a text from an unknown number.

It’s Joongki asking her if she’s free tomorrow night to have dinner together.

Mina replies back immediately.

 

//

 

“I'm glad you agreed to see me.”

“How could I say no. You're Haein's bestfriend.” Mina chuckles.

“Ouch. Is that your only reason for meeting me?” He rubs his chest, pretending to be hurt.

“I’m kidding. Of course, I wanted to see you, too. I wanted to know how the creepy guy who followed me was doing.”

“Oh, come on.” Joongki laughs, looking down, embarrassed. “I’m happy to hear you wanted to see me, too.” He looks at her again with a smile, his cheeks getting red.

“You’re blushing.” Mina giggles. “I rarely see a guy blush.”

Joongki touches his cheeks with his palms and the back of his hands alternately. “I don’t really do this often and it’s been a while since I’ve been on a date.”

“This is my first time.” Now there’s a blush creeping slowly in Mina’s cheeks, too.

“Oh, really?”

“Yeah. No one really asked me to go on dates.”

“There’s no way no one wanted to ask someone as pretty as you out on a date. Maybe you scared them off.” Joongki chuckles.

Mina shrugs. “More like someone scared them off.”

“Oh?”

“My bestfriend” Mina pauses. “She was very protective of me.”

“Hmm.” He raises his eyebrows. “Suspicious.”

Mina laughs. “No. It’s not like that.” She lies.

“Okay, okay. I believe you.” He laughs. “So, where's your hometown?” He asks, changing the subject. Mina’s glad he did.

“I was born and raised in Donghae. What about you?”

“I'm from Seoul but me and my family moved to the Philippines after I finished elementary school. Then I just went back here to study. Then after I graduate, I plan to go back to the Philippines.”

“For good?”

“Yeah, for good. Do you plan on staying here in Korea?”

“Yeah. I don't have any reasons to leave and I don't want to.”

Joongki nods. “The Philippines feels like my real home now since I was so young when we moved. But if I find any reason to stay here in Korea, I think I would.”

Mina nods, thinking of the next thing to ask about him. “What are you majoring in?”

“I’m studying political science. I’m going to law school after this.”

“Oh, seems like you've already got your life planned out.”

“Not really.”He laughs. “Only up till there. “

Mina tilts her head. “But that's pretty much it. After you finish law school and get your license, the trajectory of your life is pretty much set. What’s left is only marriage and retirement.”

“Wow, you're thinking way ahead.”

Mina laughs.

“When did you graduate high school?” Joongki asks.

“Just this year. I took a gap year because I still haven't figured out what I want to do careerwise.”

“It’s good that you're not in a hurry.”

“If I try to run at other people’s pace, I might miss the right thing and end up with the wrong one.”

“That's true. I like how you think.”

Mina laughs. “Trust me, you'll hate the way I think if you were me.”

“What are your interests?” Mina adds.

“I have cactuses at home. I like taking care of plants. I grew up watching my grandparents take care of the plants in our garden.”

“That’s interesting.”

“I know I’m kinda nerdy.”

Mina chuckles.

“What about you?”

“I like reading novels and watching romantic movies.” Mina shrugs. “There’s nothing much interesting about me.”

“I doubt that. Just knowing you is already interesting.” Joongki says and he doesn’t miss the way his remark made Mina blush.

There's a moment of awkward silence.

“Here in Korea, people usually become a couple after a few dates. But in the Philippines, my grandfather who grew up there and married a Filipina taught me about how Filipinos court the girl they want.” Joongki shares. Mina listens intently and she’s starting to think he’s even more attractive despite the amount of nerdy energy he exudes. “They work hard to get the girl’s ‘yes’ and prove to her and her parents that he’s worthy of her.”

“That is very interesting.” She responds, trying not to assume where this is going.

“So, uhm.” He clears his throat nervously. “I really want to get to know you so I want to lay out my intention of-”

“Intention?” Mina cuts her, tilting her head, her heart is starting to beat a little faster.

“Intention of courting you and I hope to get your approval to be your suitor.”

Mina laughs.

“Why are you laughing?” He asks, his voice shaky.

“It’s just you’re so cute.” Mina’s face becomes redder. “And I’d like to experience something like that.”

“So, it’s a yes?”

“Yes.” Mina bites her lip to stop herself from smiling too much. “But isn’t me approving you as my suitor the same thing as saying you can be my boyfriend?”

“It’s different because there are boundaries. We won’t do things like holding hands and other stuff couples do.” He explains. “I like taking things slow and really getting to know someone first before jumping into a relationship.”

“Interesting. You’re like the most decent guy I've ever met. Haein never mentioned any of these about you.”

“As he should.” He chuckles. “I told him I want you to know me through me.”

 

// Back to present //

 

“Nayeon?” Mina whispers after gulping her beer.

“Hmm?” The girl on the other line says lazily, trying not to fall asleep. Nayeon notices a smile creep into Mina’s face. “Why are you smiling like that?”

“Haein oppa has this cute friend. He’s very nice.”

“So? Why are you telling me this?”

“I just wanted to tell you.” Mina shrugs. “He likes cactuses and I think that says a lot about him as a person. I also bought one and I think I’m getting interested in being a plant mom.”

“You’re only interested in it because you’re interested in him.” Jealousy creeps into Nayeon’s chest. She doesn’t really care about Mina’s new plant and new friend.

“I guess you’re right.” Mina giggles.

“Do you like him?” Nayeon asks, her voice serious.

“He’s not hard to like.”

“You easily like people unless it’s me.” Nayeon sighs as she thinks to herself the words she can’t say honestly to her friend. She tries not to look offended. Sometimes she thinks that she’s over Mina but whenever the girl calls her, her heart still hurts sometimes—and she calls a lot.

“How can I move on if you keep calling me like this? And now you’re telling me about a guy you’re interested in. It kinda hurts a little bit, Mina-yah.” Nayeon wants to say, but she doesn’t. It’s not going to change anything anyway.

“Hey, I should go to sleep now. I have an early shift tomorrow.” She says instead.

“Can you call me tomorrow during your lunch break? Oppa can’t have lunch with me. He’s busy with filming these days.” Mina lets out a sullen pout.

Nayeon chuckles at the request. “How can I say no?”

“You can’t.” Mina looks down. “‘Cause I’m your bestfriend.”

I can’t say no ‘cause I’m just too weak for that pout, Nayeon thinks.

“What about your new guy friend?”

“He’s busy with school, too.” Mina’s pout not leaving her face.

She tuts, pretending to be annoyed. “Fine.” She looks at her, waiting to end the call first. “Hang up.”

“Alright. Bye Nayeonnie.”

 

/////////////////////////////////

Almost a year later…

 

“You’re enrolling in AB Psychology?” Nayeon asks through the video call.

Mina is accompanied by her cousin to the College of Humanities and Social Sciences at Seoul University.

“She finally found the one.” Haein cuts in.

“I’m super excited about it.” Mina says. “By the way, I took a leave from work because I’m going home next week!” She announces excitedly.

“You’re going home?” Nayeon asks.

“Aren’t you happy?”

“You should come, oppa.” Mina hits her cousin’s arm. “Dad said he misses his favorite godson which isn’t very special because you’re his only godson.”

Haein scowls at her.

“Tzuyu’s already flying today to Taiwan today. I’m sad I couldn’t meet her before she leaves. Jihyo’s in the US and Momo’s in Japan” Mina pouts. “I can’t believe this is really happening to our squad now.”

“We saw it coming.” Nayeon says and then she sees the professor enter the room.

“My professor is here. I gotta hang up now. Buh-bye.” She waves her hand at her friend.

“Bye.”

“Bye.” Haein waves at her, showing himself on the screen.

“Bye Haein oppa.”

Haein lets out a sigh. “I’ve been noticing she’s getting prettier everyday. Is she single?”

“Are you serious? Yes, she’s single. Why?” Mina squints her eyes at him suspiciously. Haein chuckles.

He just smiles, his dry lips.

“Do you like her?”

“Why else would I ask if she’s single?” He shrugs. “I think she’s hot. Puberty hit her pretty well.”

“Hot?” Mina an eyebrow.

“I meant pretty.”

“Oppa, she's my bestfriend. It’s weird to think of you two dating.”

“So what? Well, don’t you go out with my bestfriend, too?”

“Just don't do anything that would hurt her.” Mina sighs, relenting. “I don’t wanna see her hurting again.” She mutters.

“Of course. You know I'm not a heartbreaker. Do you know how many girls I’ve hurt?”

“One.” Mina says at the same time as Haein said, “None.”

Haein looks at her, confused. “There's one you don't know about.”

“Who is this person whose heart I allegedly broke?”

“Nayeon.” She says, nonchalantly.

"What?" A pleased and surprised smile creeps on his face. "Really?"

“You like it that much?”

“Hold on. When was this?”

“Remember the last time you visited? It was the summer before the fifth grade. She told me she had a crush on you—a huge one. She was heartbroken when you left.

“But why? I didn't do anything. I didn't even know.”

“That's exactly why. You didn't notice. She was hurt but she moved on right away when that summer ended.”

“Hmm. Interesting.” Haein purses his lips then smiles. “ Do you know what her type is? Do you think she'll like me again if she sees me?”

“I don’t know. Maybe if you start to sleep well and lose your eyebags, you’ll have a chance.” Mina jokes.

“These are signs of hard work.” He points his index fingers to the dark circles under his eyes.

 

/////////////////////////////////

 

“Haein!” Mr. Myoi calls out as soon as he says Haein and his daughter come out of the taxi cab. “You’re looking good, son.” He hugs him.

“Thanks, uncle. What can I say, hotness runs in our blood.”

“Hey, mom.” Mina’s mom goes to hug her. “Sweetie, I missed you so much.” She plants a kiss on her daughter’s head.

“Hi, auntie. You look exactly the same the last time I saw you.” Haein smiles at her before giving her a warm hug.

“Oh, stop.” Mrs. Myoui laughs and playfully hits his arm.

“It’s true though. I’m not lying.” Haein laughs.

“Well, thank you for the compliment.”

//

Nayeon hears a knock on her door. “Come in.”

The door opens and Mina enters her room. “The one you missed so much is here!”

“You’re so full of yourself.” Nayeon huffs but hugs her friend anyway.

“Do you have some ramyeon?” Mina smiles at her.

Nayeon chuckles, shaking her head. “The usual?” Mina nods.

 

Mina and Nayeon slurp the soup from their bowl of noodles while watching Spiderman: No Way Home. Nayeon puts down her bowl and takes some tissues to blow her nose and discreetly wipe her tears. It’s the scene where Peter 1, Peter 2, and Peter 3 planning a strategy to take down their enemies and then Peter 3 tells the other Peters that he loves them. She found the scene very endearing. Nayeon’s a soft person. She hides it well but Mina knows she is.

“Aigoo, it’s not even the sad part yet.”

“I’m not crying. I’m just having runny nose.” She air between her lips to indicate that it’s just because of the spicy soup, and also to cool .

 

Nayeon has been wanting to ask Mina about the guy she told him about months ago. Mina hasn’t mentioned anything about him after the first time she did. And Nayeon’s heart has been doing well but Mina’s presence is making her efforts of moving on go the opposite way, bringing her back to her past state again. But Nayeon wanted to test herself—if she can handle hearing the truth. So, after watching the movie, they went out to ride their bicycles.

Mina and Nayeon are about to pass through the spot where Nayeon once saved Mina.

“Remember what happened over there on the first day of senior high school?” Nayeon asks. “I’m thankful that it happened.”

“It was rather embarrassing for me.”

Nayeon laughs. “But if it didn’t happen, I wouldn’t have talked to you—because you were too prideful to even talk to me. We wouldn’t have been friends again and we wouldn’t be friends now.”

“Hmm, that’s fair.”

“Can we stop over here? My feet are hurting.”

“Of course, grandma. Anything for you.” Mina teases.

“Hey, I’m still tired from work okay. I only got to sit during lunch break and it was only for 15 minutes!” Nayeon defends herself.

They sit on the grass, under the orange tinted sky, in front of the setting sun.

“Are you dating anyone now?”

“I wouldn’t call it dating but it’s something like that.”

There’s that pang in her chest again, but it’s not as sharp as several months ago anymore.

“What do you mean?” A slight furrow on Nayeon’s brows forms.

“We’re doing it old-fashioned. He’s courting me.”

“That’s the same thing.” Nayeon’s a little hurt but she forces to laugh.

“Hey, don’t laugh!” She hits the other girl’s shoulder. “It’s not really the same thing. We have boundaries.”

“I know how it is.” Nayeon bites her lower lip. “Is he that guy that Haein oppa knows?”

“Yeah. They’re bestfriends.”

“Hmm.” Nayeon nods, trying to sound interested.

“So, you’re giving him a chance?”

“I wouldn’t allow him to court me if I didn’t.” Mina chuckles. “And I don’t see any reason why I wouldn’t.”

Because you didn’t give me a chance.

It doesn't seem like it but Mina can sense Nayeon’s coldness and she might know why she’s asking these questions but she doesn’t really want to get into it. She doesn’t want that guilt creeping back into her chest.

“Yah! Haein oppa has a crush on you.”

Nayeon huffs.

“It’s true! He likes you.”

“So? Why do you sound like you want me to make the first move? Doesn’t he have to do that since he’s the one interested?”

“I’m just saying that you should start dating and he could be the right one for you.”

“And you weren’t?”

“I will never be the right one for you, Nayeon.”



end of chapter. please tell me what you think? how do you think things will go with mina, nayeon, and the new characters?