001

Soulmates

Shuhua sat at the table all her friends had gathered around. Just eight more minutes. She was the last one in the friend group to turn twenty so everyone was excited to see what name came up on her. There were however two women in the group who already knew who's name would show up on her skin. 'Mine.' They both thought. The two of them had already gotten their name. But had kept it's secret as they wanted their Makne to be surprised. Turns out all three of them will be surprised. 

 

When Miyeon turned twenty a small but visible. 'Yeh Shuhua' Appeared on her thigh. She was alone as she was nervous to share who it would be. Turns out it was the youngest of their group. "I have to keep it a secret I don't want to take her big day away from her..." She called her best friend. "Hey Minnie I need you to do me a favor. It's a big one.." 

 

The next day they arrived at school hand in hand. It wasn't unusual for them as they were known to be extremely close friends. "Who'd you get?!" Yuqi jumped excitedly. Miyeon looked at Minnie and smiled. They had agreed last night that Minnie would help her as long as she could. "Nicha Yontararak." 

 

She had a proud look on her face. "Wait really!? You two must be so happy!" The loud Chinese girl cheered. "It's good you got one of us! I wonder if all of us will get something in the group? That would be fun!" Yuqi looked at Soyeon pointedly. Miyeon nodded smiling even though deep down it hurt to lie to them especially to Shuhua. She would owe Minnie a lot and she knew it but she didn't want to ruin the surprise for their youngest. What kind a a soulmate would she be if she did that?

 

Minnie had to keep up appearances. So when it was her turn to find out She and Miyeon had a plan. "What if my soulmate is someone we know? Like Soojin? Even if I hid it from her she wouldn't have to wait very long to find out." Miyeon sighed softly. "If it's Soojin or someone else were close to you shouldn't hide it. I'll just have to come up with a different plan." 

 

Minnie hummed in agreement. "Well while we're still Girlfriends..." She said the word with extra sass "You owe me a nice birthday dinner. Come on Jagi." Miyeon made a face. "I thought we agreed that was only in front of other people. It sounds weird." Minnie rolled her eyes. "Come on go get dressed. I want birthday dinner." Miyeon nodded and went to change. 

 

At midnight Minnie and Miyeon we're at Miyeons apartment. A name appeared on Minnie's back. "What's it say come on... I want to know if I am going to get a real girlfriend any time soon." Miyeon scoffed as she read it. "Oh look it says Cho Miyeon. Oh sorry Minnie I don't like you like that." Minnie lightly kicked her. "You'd be lucky to date me! Now tell me the real name!" Miyeon laughed. "It says Panpriya Manoban. That sounds Thai." Minnie sighed softly. "Does this mean I'll move back? I like it here!" Miyeon shrugged. "Well I guess we'll have to wait and see. For now you're stuck with me." 

 

Minnie fake cried. "Yah don't act like I haven't been good to you brat!" Miyeon had found tutorials online of how to make a temporary tattoo. They decided to put it somewhere they could easily show the girls but they wouldn't see often. "There!" Miyeon smiled satisfied by her work. The temporary tattoo was placed just below where Minnie's bra sat. 

 

When Soojin turned twenty she also preferred to be alone but she did let Soyeon join her. What if she needed help finding it on her back or something? "Soo it's time! She looked at the girls already exposed skin and saw on her ankle in clean dark letters. 'Yeh Shuhua' Soyeon looked up at her a look of surprise. "She'll be excited when you tell her." Soojin shook her head. "Are you crazy? I can't tell her. I have to wait otherwise I'll ruin her special day! What kind of soulmate will I be then? I'll just come up with a name. Jeon Somi see no one will ever have that name." 

 

Soyeon tilted her head. "We could just say you want to keep it a secret? Maybe they won't ask so much." Soojin shook her head. "You know how those two are. Especially Yuqi. They won't give up til they see." Soyeon sighed. "Fine but I feel inclined to let you know though there is a Jeon Somi she's my cousin she lives in Canada. And she does visit every once in a while." Soojin tilted her head with a small smile. "Canada you say? That's pretty far away. Perfect we'll never meet and I won't have to explain. Plus you can be my alibi! And maybe next time she visits we can rope her into it?" Soyeon looked skeptical but just agreed.  

 

On Soyeons birthday She wasn't surprised to see the name printed onto her chest just over her heart. 'Song Yuqi' She smiled fondly. "Of course it's the giraffe girl." Soon after was Yuqi's birthday. She already knew who would show up on her skin as she had been in love with Soyeon for years. "Unnie it's official you have no reason to turn me down now." She glomped onto the older woman. Soyeon pretended to be annoyed but hugged the girl. "I could think of several reasons." She . 

 

"Five...Four...Three ..Two...One!" Miyeon and Soojin we're each to one of Shuhuas sides. Miyeon on the left and Soojin on the right. Shuhua looked down at herself. Instantaneously the names appeared. 'Cho Miyeon' Was scrawled across her right collar bone. 'Seo Soojin' Was scrawled across her ribcage on her left clearly visible as she was only in her sports bra in case it would be covered. 

 

"What?" Soojin whispered to herself. "This can't be right." Miyeon also whispered. Shuhua looked confused. "I...Unnies? Why do I have two names?" Minnie nodded. "Should've seen that coming..."

 

A week passed and no one had seen Shuhua she had been skipping school as she was feeling very anxious about the implications of the names on her skin. 'Do I have two soulmates? And why did they lie about who they had? I'll be an outcast!' 

 

Miyeon and Soojin sat across from eachother at a coffee shop. Soojin took a long sip of her drink looking down and fiddling with the lid. "So where's your mark?" Miyeon didn't look up. "On my thigh. And yours?" Soojin pulled the hem of her leggings up showing her ankle. Miyeon held the girls leg up in her lap. Her eyebrows furrowed as she traced the letters etched into the other womans skin. Exactly the same as hers.

 

"What do you think the chances are that one of us has a different Yeh Shuhua?" Soojin sighed. She wished she could be as hopeful. "Unnie...She had both of our names. We both saw it..." Miyeon nodded. "Does this mean... We're supposed to compete for her? I don't want to do that. If it has to be one of us it should be you. You've always been closer. As much as I tried she would never accept my affection anyway." Soojin shook her head. "Don't say that. There's got to be a way we can figure this out. We should check the internet for cases like this Maybe. Maybe we won't have to choose...Maybe she won't have to choose..."