Chapter 4. Way to love him

HIM: The Movie

 

 

 

 

 

Yeong was on the way to his chamber, after the long and boring celebration. Don’t take him wrong. The celebration was enjoyable. After all, it’s for his brother. But with his thoughts being everywhere, he couldn’t enjoy the celebration nor smile like other times. But he managed to muster the courage to smile for his brother who was happy with the new responsibilities he had been given.

As he walks in thoughts, his commander Kang Shin Jae stops him by grabbing his arm. Yeong looks at his cousin startled. And the older gestured to someone behind with his eyes, making Yeong turn toward the person he almost crashed on. It’s Lee Gon, standing a few steps away from them along with his bodyguard ho-pil. The Corean prince’s appearance is calm but Yeong can see his eyes are a bit red and his breathing is uneven. The older prince is angry at something or probably at him. But Yeong is a fool in love.

“Prince Lee,” Yeong began, his gaze fixed on the older. As he gazed at the older, his voice and gaze were filled with softness, and he signaled to his servants to give them privacy. Everyone step away from them, but Yeong saw Shin Jae standing beside the side wall, further enough to not hear anything they talk.  

Lee Gon took a step forward, toward the younger prince, forcing Yeong's back to contact the wall behind him. His eyes are b with rage and venom. Yeong saw Shin Jae trying to stop the older prince but he signal him to stop. Then before Yeong can say anything the older prince closed his mouth with his palm and bent toward his ear.

“I warned you. I don't want your sympathy.” Lee Gon murmured making Yeong feels goosebumps on his skin due to the older’s cold voice, and again looked at him, his jaw tight and his gaze fixed on Yeong.

“It isn't,” Yeong mumbles as he can under the palm of the older prince’s, trying to assure him he is not pitying him but is distracted by his hand covering his lips.

“Don't pretend you care about me. My patience has a limit.” Lee gon mutters as he slowly withdraws his hand from the younger’s mouth but not before tracing his thumb along Yeong’s plump lips harshly.

Yeong felt like his skin was on fire, the way Older touched his lip harshly should make him hurt but what he felt was different than he thought. Yeong can feel, that the older was trying to overcome his true feeling and true emotions. The Corean prince wanted to shut off everyone from him. He is scared of getting hurt, again. The sudden realization makes him want to love him more.

Yeong was frozen in his state for a few moments until his commander Shin Jae comes to him with a worried gaze and calls him. He looks at the older and blinks a few times.

“Huh?”

“What happened? Are you okay?” Shin Jae asks worried and glancing back at the retiring figures.

“Huh? Nothing.” Yeong clears his throat. “Hyung, let’s go to my room quickly. I have something to do.” Yeong said making the commander frown at the younger’s behavior but follows the younger prince wordlessly.

 

 

 

As soon as Yeong returns to his room, he rushes toward his study table in the chamber. Shin Jae follows him and stands beside the younger, whatever it is the younger prince will tell him if it’s necessary.  It’s how their relationship worked until now. 

Yeong wrote three letters and put them on different colored envelopes before standing.

“Hyung, please give this to Prince Lee, and this to my brother, and this to my grandfather. Tell my brother and grandfather I will visit them tomorrow. Make it secretly. I don’t want my parents to know this yet” Yeong said handing the three envelopes.

“Yes, Your highness.” Shin Jae replies and studied the envelopes before putting them in his inside pocket. Yeong turns to walk toward his bed but stops as he saw his commander still there. Yeong looks at the older with a raised eyebrow, in question.

“What are you planning?” Shin Jae asks looking at the younger prince and Yeong sighs.

“Hyung, don’t worry I am not planning to do anything dangerous. And I will tell you everything after you come back from the task.” Yeong said with a small smile, which was fake as his demeanor.

 

~

 

 

Prince Cao Ying or well known as Prince Jo Yeong among the Corean people lives in Xuan also mostly related to the said boy was not someone who asks for favors. But when Jo Mun-shik, the father of Empress Jo Hye-In received a letter from the said prince, he was surprised. Because first Yeong never send him letters before, he always visits him in person. Second, as his other grandson, shin Jae told him Yeong want this to be a secret meeting.

Mun-shik was waiting since the morning, to see Yeong. After reading the letter, he was worried. He loves his grandson dearly, but he isn’t powerful enough to stop the emperor if something goes wrong. What Yeong wants to do might put him in danger.

“Grandpa!” the voice of the teenage boy reaches his ears and he looks at his two grandsons walking toward him. He still cannot believe his youngest grandson is already grown up to fine young man. And his voice, oh how proud he is! Yeong’s voice is deep and powerful, more than enough to use a weapon itself.

“Yeongah, come here” Mun-shik happily called spreading his arms for a hug, which was soon received.

“You have grown up more than the last time I saw you,” Mun-shik said patting Yeong’s head.

“Don’t lie grandpa! You have seen me last week!” Yeong said playfully as they get seated.

Mun-shik looks at shin-Jae, who is standing beside younger. The older boy bows a little to the elder man.

“Grandpa, Don’t worry he knows about everything,” Yeong said looking at shin-Jae and Mun-shik, making the elder frown at the older boy.

“You knew about what he is planning, and still not going to stop him?” Mun-Shik frowns.

“Grandpa, you know he won’t stop even if I tried,” shin-Jae replies making the elder man sighs.

“Grandpa! You are the only one who can help me to succeed in this! Please!” Yeong said, trying to be a cute boy, knowing his grandfather loved him so much to refuse anything for him.

“Okay, okay. But tell me everything first, young man. If I feel like it’s dangerous, I am going to stop you.” Mun-shik said with a little grin.

 

Yeong shared what happened with Prince Lee Gon, and his father. And what he found out about the truth. And how Prince Lee Gon is unable to reclaim his throne because of his father’s conditions. After hearing everything Yeong shared, Mun-shik rubs his face. He is sad to hear what happened to his king, and the crown prince. After all, he is a Corean. But if he tries to help Yeong and something happened to him, he will regret it. Yeong is his grandson and he can’t sacrifice his family member to help his crown prince. But Mun-shik knows, if he refuses to help Yeong, the younger prince will try to find another way to archive what he wants. So Mun-shik decided to help the younger but to protect him from any danger.

“Yeong-ah, I need to think a bit about this, and I will let you know my decision soon as possible. Until then don’t do anything. Okay?” Mun-shik said to the younger prince. Yeong nods promising him that he won’t do anything without letting them know.

~

“What?” the emperor looks at him surprised.

“Dad, you said you will grant anything I wished for when I reached sixteen,” Yeong replied to the elder.

“But Ying, what you are asking is more than a wish. You know, it will change your whole life!”

“I know dad, I am not a child anymore, and I understand the seriousness of what I asking from you. But dad, I love him. I want to be with him for the rest of my life.”

“Cao Ying, you can be confused with your feelings, how can you be sure, that you love him? What if your feelings were not romantic?” the emperor asks again.

 

When his youngest son, Cao Ying wanted to meet the Xuan emperor in privet, he didn’t think that his son is asking him something like this. His youngest son wants to marry the Corean crown prince. His son loves him and asks for his permission. But Ying is still a child in his eyes. How can he be sure that he loves someone? Especially a man? Cao Yuan isn’t homophobic. He respects people’s decision to choose their life partners. But never in million years had he thought that his son will one of them. He knows this will change the people’s vision of him more. But he is Ying’s father and he never made his children sad.

And the man that captured his son’s heart is none other than Lee Gon, who currently hates him and his family due to his father’s death. He knows the Corean prince thinks that he is the one responsible for the Corean king’s death. But what they didn’t know was the death of the former Corean King was not his plan. He never wanted to own Corea, and it was something he had promised to his queen. That’s why he helped King Lee Ho, and take Lee Gon in under his care to protect him.

But no one knew it other than his queen. So people can think that he wants to take over Corea as well.

 

“Cao Ying, my son, I understand you wanted to decide what you want in your life. And I won’t stop you from doing that. But I need him to prove that he is capable of taking care of you and caring for you. If he doesn’t like you and wants to marry you only for his gain, I won’t give you my permission or blessing to marry him. Do you understand son?

“I understand dad.” Yeong bows to his father, and leaves him deep in thought.

 

 

~

It was later than usual, but Yeong’s bed chamber is still lit up with lamps. The youngest prince was busy writing poems. Something he did when his mind is full and wants to get distracted from thoughts. Shin-Jae was nowhere to see. He hadn’t returned from the task he was given by the prince this evening.

“Your highness, it’s late. You have a meeting with the emperor in the morning.” One of the servants reminds him for the fifth time for the night.

The prince sighs. Setting aside the things he stretches his tired muscles before standing.

“The bath is ready your highness.” A maid informs him.

Yeong nods and walks toward his bed chamber, where his maids are waiting for him to assist.

 

As he was undressing with the help of his maids, the wooden doors of his chamber are slammed open with a bang. His guards are attempting to apprehend the invader. Yeong turns to face the man who has barged into his chamber, his hands stopping on his opening garments. Lee Gon is standing at the door, his guard holding him.

Yeong signals his guards and they let go of the older prince.

Yeong turns to his maids and they left them alone in the room. Yeong turns to face the older prince, adjusting his undershirt to cover most of his bare chest.

“Prince Lee,” Yeong said looking at the older prince.

“I'll take your offer.” Lee Gon replied, that his expression is difficult to read, but Yeong saw his determination through the calm but dangerous look on the older’s face.

 

 “I...” Yeong began. He is happy to hear that the older prince is will take his offer to take over his throne. But he is also sad because no matter, what he searches for in the older’s eyes there isn’t the least bit of love. That means the older ones won’t ever romantically care about him.

 

 “I will consult with the Emperor,” Yeong responded.

Lee Gon nods before shifting his bloodshot gaze to him.

“Moreover, I have a condition.”

Yeong hums, indicating that he is listening.

“I want the entire authority of the throne. And as my consort, you can live as long as you want.” Lee Gon adds.

“Just it?” Yeong looks up. His eyes show that he is pleased with the older’s decision. He received another nod in response.

“You have my word, Prince Lee. Even you will accept me for your throne.”

Lee Gon’s eyes widened, in bewilderment. Surprised to hear that the younger prince knew what his thoughts is.

“I will inform you of the next step later,” Yeong said again, this time turning his back on the older prince, and the older prince stood there for a few moments before exiting the room.

Yeong collapsed on the bed as the door closed behind him, tears streaming down his face. He is going to sacrifice his happiness for his lover, even though he won’t get the older’s heart in return. It’s hurt to see, that the older only cared about getting his throne back. He never questions Yeong. Why he is doing it or is he will be okay... but Yeong knew this will be his fate.

 

 

~

 

Lee Gon, on the other hand, stood outside the door, listening to the faint sobs of the younger prince, his face expressionless, bloodshot eyes staring ahead in blankness. But his hand unconsciously reached to clutch the left side of his chest.