Prologue

HIM: The Movie

 

 

 

July 1802 in the Xuan Empire, China

Thunderous rain downpours the palace and city. Despite the rain, a wing of the palace is buzzing with the activities, servants running around. And a man dressed in royal robes walked despondently in front of the closed chamber. A five-year-old boy went up to him, gripping the man's big hand. A few others hurry after the child, but as they come to a halt in front of the monarch figure, they bow to him with a short "Your Majesty" and wait beside.

"Bàba," the child shouted, drawing the man's attention.

"Yes, dear?" The child's father glances down, attempting to relax a bit so as not to scare his oldest son. The boy was staring at the closed doors. The father knelt and picked up his son. A woman's painful wail from behind the doors interrupted him before he could say anything. The child looks at his father with a worried face.

"Baba, is Mama all right? Why is she crying?” With a troubled tone, the boy asked.

"Mama is Fine," the father remarked with a smile to the boy. "Don't worry, you'll be meeting your brother soon."

"Brother? Is Ying coming today?" When the word "brother" was mentioned, the boy's face brightened up.

"Yes, son, we will finally meet him." The father gives him a kind grin. The child smiles and nods, motioning for him to put him down. When the father looks at him with a question, the boys respond in a happy tone.

"Let me go, Baba. I am going to pick my gift for Ying!" With a slight chuckle, the father puts him down and stares at the child sprinting down the corridor to retrieve his gift, the maids rushing behind him.

 

 

A maid emerges from the chamber, carrying yet another pile of clothing. She bows before the monarch and rushes to complete her duties. He let out a deep sigh, as he looked at the door for the nth time in an hour. After a brief bow, another person dressed in noble attire approaches him and stands by the monarch.

"Your Majesty, please do not be concerned about Her Highness. She will outperform this. Her highness is a warrior, so she'll be fine." As he stares at the anxious monarch, the man, who is the royal secretary, expresses his thoughts.

"I'm sure she will. But I can't stop recalling that night!" The king sighs again, rubbing his weary face.

 

 

The Xuan Kingdom is a powerful empire that stretched China's vast land. Even though Emperor Cao had everything, he didn't have the luxury of having a queen, an empress, for a long period. He was still in his late twenties when his first love, his queen, died the night his oldest son was born. Cao Qing, his son, grew up with only his father. But after a few years, he met another lady who made his heart flutter like his first love, and who loves Cao Qing as if he were her own. Her name is Jo Hye-In. She is a Corean. Jo was born into an aristocratic family. And the Xuan emperor married her right away. She is a pretty woman, but she is not a typical noblewoman. She is a worrier, can fight like a man, and is extremely clever. She adores the Prince of Xuan. And Cao Qing finally found someone to address as 'Mama.' After a few months after marriage, she becomes pregnant, which makes the emperor both thrilled and concerned.

The royal shaman predicted that the new prince will bring greater prosperity to the empire and put an end to the unfortunate fate of the empress dying at a young age, but he will not reside here. Emperor Cao is unconcerned about wealth; he has plenty for at least 100 years. He simply wishes for his children to be healthy and to have both parents.

 

As a newborn scream echoed beyond the closed doors, the monarch let out a short relieved breath and waited for confirmation that his queen also is Fine. The doors opened, and a physician motioned him inside the chamber with a bow. He enters the dimly lit Queen's chamber after wiping his sweaty palms against his sides. She's lying on the bed, staring at her side, where a bundle of joy is waiting for him to notice. Emperor Cao approaches the bed, and his queen looks up, a tired but delighted grin on her face. He took a long breath, relieved to see his queen alive and well, before bestowing his smile on her.

Emperor Cao took his newborn son into his arms. A tiny little boy. He places a kiss on the baby’s forehead before smiling and placing a kiss on his queen with gratitude.

The new prince is named Cao Ying, also going as the Corean name Jo Yeong. That he inherited from his mother.

 

 

After Prince Cao Ying’s birth, the Xuan empire starts to grow more powerful and wealthy. People believe the youngest prince brought fortune to their country. When emperor Cao asks the royal shaman to look into his youngest prince’s fortune, he only gets to know that he will be well loved and get what he wants. Even though it wasn’t satisfying for him, Empire Xuan believes his son will be loved by everyone.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~

 

August 1815, Kingdom of Corea.

 

A sound of iron crashing against each other filled the area. A teen boy and a man are practicing sword fights. The teen is tall and wears a blue uniform with a red sash around his waist. Even though his body was glistening with sweat under the burning summer sun, he still had a determined look on his face.

A servant disturbed his intense practicing with a bow.

"Your highness, his majesty is looking for you." The servant delivers the message to the teen. The boy stops and hands over his sword to the maid before taking a cloth to wipe his sweat.

"Okay I will meet father in a few." he voice before gulping water that served as he walked away.

 

 

 

Lee Gon strode along the palace halls that led to the king's study. Servants bowed to him as he passed. The teen boy comes to a halt in front of the large oak doors and signals to the servant to notify his arrival. Lee Gon enters the room as the doors open, looking for his father.

"Aba mama," Lee Gon said, looking at an empty table and chair.

"Oh, you showed up." Lee Gon walks toward the familiar voice of his father, who is standing in front of the farthest shelf, a few scrolls in his hands and a few on the floor around him.

Aba mama, you ask for me?” Gon speaks up, his gaze drawn to the scrolls on the floor.

King Lee Ho gives his only son, Crown Prince, a tired smile.

"Give me a hand, son." The king said while gesturing at the scrolls before taking a few scrolls and heading to the desk in the center of the room.

Lee Gon picked the remaining scrolls and tails after his father.

 

 

 

What is this about?” The gon question, peering intently at the opening scroll. It was a massive map including grounds in Corea, Japan, and China. There are a few markings here and there that he recognizes as military camp marks.

King Lee Ho examines his son, who is studying a map.

"Son, what do you know about our ongoing war with Japan?" the King asks.

"Well, other than what I've been told and heard, I don't know much about it. I've heard their forces are larger and more powerful than ours. They also have more sources than we have." Gon responded.

"That is true, and that is the reason why we have yet to win or end this conflict." Our strategies are great, but our troops are falling behind daily due to exhaustion. I can't do anything about it but force them to keep fighting." King Lee He sighs and rubs his tired face.

 

Gon can tell how much this matter weighed to his father. His father appears to be losing weight and to have black circles under his eyes. Gon bets his father hasn't gotten any sleep in weeks.

"Aba mama, is there anything I can do for you?" Gon asks, hoping to assist his father. Even if he knew there was nothing he could do, crown prince or not, he is still a teenager.

"There is only one way to stop this conflict." King Lee, mutters as he stares at the map. Lee gon perks up as he hears that.

"All right, let's do it. I will do my best to assist you." Lee gon stated.

"It's not that simple, son. And if we do that, I'm afraid the outcome-" the king said, his gaze fixed on the map laid on the desk.

Aba mama, even it is difficult. You can rely on me. I am aware that I am still too young to interfere in politics. But, father, I will do everything for our country and people. Just like you." Lee Gon told his father, determined.

 

 

King Lee Ho examines his son, his heir, their crown prince. He is blessed to have a son like Gon. He is aware that by making this decision, he may forfeit the opportunity to witness his son grow into a fine adult. But he needs to do it for his country, for his people, even if it means sacrificing his happiness with his family.

"Here," King Lee Ho indicated to the famous Chinese empire Xuan. Lee Gon nods, his gaze fixed on the enormous expanse of the country depicted on the map.

We have to ask for their alliance, son.” King Lee ho adds, his gaze fixed on his son's.