☆*: .。. o(≧ 6 ≦)o .。.:*☆

But First, Marriage

"Our best bet is to present a united front," Suzy said to Joohyuk four days later. They'd met at her house early in the afternoon to outline their strategy. Halabeoji was gone for the day, but by the time he returned, Joohyuk and Suzy planned to be ready to talk him out of this marriage idea. The sooner Woohyun understood that his ploy wasn't working, the better. Then they could both get on with their lives and forget this unfortunate episode.

"it's important that we stand up to him together," Suzy said when Joohyuk didn't comment. From the moment he'd arrived, he'd given her the impression that he'd rather not be doing this. Well, she wasn't overjoyed about plotting against her grandfather, either, but in this instance i was necessary. "If we don't, I'm afraid Halabeoji will continue to play us against each other/"

"I'm here, aren't I?" Joohyuk grumbled. He certainly wasn't in one of his more charming moods.

"Listen, if you're going to act like this—"

"Like what?" he demanded, standing up. He walked over to the polished oak sideboard and poured himself a cup of coffee. When he'd finished, he ambled toward the fireplace and leaned against the mantel.

"Like you're doing me a big favor," Suzy elaborated.

"You're the one who's left me dangling for three days. Do you realize what I've been forced to endure? Woohyun kept giving these smug smiles, looking so pleased with himself and the way things worked out in Scotland. Yesterday he went so far as to mention the name of a good jeweler."

Before Suzy could stop herself, she was on her feet, arms on her hip, glaring at Joohyuk. "I thought you were going to call me! Weren't you the one who said communication is the key? Then it's as if you'd dropped off the face of the earth! And for your information, it hasn't exactly been a Sunday school picnic around here, either."

"It may surprised you to learn that I have other things on my mind besides dealing with you and your grandfather."

"Implying I don't have anything to do with my time?"

"No," he said slowly. "Damn it, Suzy, we're arguing again."

She sighed regretfully. "I know. We've got to stop this squabbling. It's counterproductive."

Joohyuk's nod was curt and she saw that he was frowning. "What bothers me most is the way your grandfather found us the other day. We were standing so close and you were staring up at me, practically begging me to kiss you."

"I most certainly was not," she denied, knowing Joohyuk was right. Her cheeks grew pink. She had wanted him to kiss her, but she hated to admit that she would've walked into his arms without a second's hesitation. She decided to blame that unexpected longing on the exhausting flight home.

Joohyuk shook his head and set his coffee cup carefully on the mantel. He both hands into his pockets, still slouching against the fireplace wall. "The problem is, I was ready to do it. If your grandfather hadn't walked in when he did, I would've kissed you."

"You would?" she asked softly, feeling almost light-headed at his words.

Joohyuk straightened, and a nerve in his jaw pulsed, calling her attention to the strong chiseled lines of his face. "I'm only human," he said dryly. "I'm as susceptible to a beautiful woman as the next man, especially when she all but asks me to take her in my arms."

That was too much. Suzy's pinched her lips together to keep from crying out in anger. Taking a moment to compose herself, she closed her eyes and drew in a deep breath. "Instead of blaming each other for something that didn't happen, could we please return to the subject at hand, which is my grandfather?"

"All right," Joohyuk agreed. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said anything." He went to the leather wingback chair and sat down. Leaning forward, he rested his elbows on his knees. "What are you going to say to him?"

"Me? I thought... I'd hoped... you'd wanted to the talking."

Joohyuk shook his head. "Tact doesn't seem to be strong point lately."

"Okay, okay, I'll do it, if that's what you really want." She gazed silently down at the richly patterned carpet, collecting her thoughts. "I think we should tell him how much we both love and respect him and that we realize his actions have been motivated by his concern for us both and his desire for our happiness. We might even go so far as to thank him—" She stopped abruptly when Joohyuk gave a snort of laughter. "All right, if you think you can do better, you do the talking."

"If it was up to me, I'd just tell that meddling old fool to stay out of our lives."

"Your sensitivity is really heartwarming," she muttered. "At first, this whole thing was one big joke to you and you really enjoyed tormenting me."

"You're exaggerating."

"As I recall, you played that cow-and-ten-chickens business for all it was worth, but I notice you're singing a different tune now and honestly—"

The library door opened, interrupting her tirade, her grandfather and his longtime friend, veterinarian Dr. Yosef Coleman, walked into the room.

"Joohyuk. Suzy," Halabeoji said, grinning broadly.

"Halabeoji," Suzy burst out, rushing to her feet. They weren't prepared for this, and Joohyuk was being impossible, so she said the first thing that came to mind. Pointing at Joohyuk,  she cried. "I don't know how you could possibly expect me to marry that man. He's stubborn and rude and we're completely wrong for each other." She was trembling by the time she finished, and collapsed gracelessly into the nearest chair.

"In case you haven't figured it out yet, you're no angel yourself," Joohyuk said, scowling at Suzy.

"Children, please," Halabeoji implored, advancing into the library, hands held out in supplication. "What seems to be the problem?"

"I want this settled," Joohyuk forcefully. "I'm not about to be saddled with Suzy for a wife."

"As if I want to be your wife? In your dreams, Joohyuk Nam!"

"We realize you mean well," Joohyuk added, his face looking pinched. He completely ignored Suzy. "But neither of us appreciates your matchmaking efforts."

Halabeoji walked over to the leather chair recently occupied by Joohyuk and sat down. He smiled weakly at each of them, his shoulders sagging. "I thought... I'd hope you two would grow fond of each other."

"I'm sorry to disappoint you, Halabeoji, I really am," Suzy said, feeling guilty. "But Joohyuk and I don't even like each other. We can barely carry on a civil conversation. He's argumentative and unreasonable—"

"And she's illogical and stubborn."

"I don't think we need to trade insults to get our message across," Suzy said. Her face was so hot, she felt as if her cheeks were on fire.

"There's no hope?" Woohyun asked quietly.

"None whatsoever," Joohyuk said. "Suzy will make some man a wonderful wife one day, but unfortunately, he wont' be be."

Her grandfather slumped against the back of his back. "You're sure?"

"Positive," Joohyuk said, loudly enough to convince Mrs. Matthews who was working in the kitchen.

"I love you, Halabeoji," said Suzy, "and I'd do almost anything you wanted, but I can't and won't marry Joohyuk. We know you have our bets interests at heart, but neither of us is romantically interested in the other."

Yosef Coleman, who stood by the library doors, looked as if he'd rather be anyplace else. His discomfort at witnessing this family scene was obvious. "I think it'd be best if i came bac another time," he murmured as he turned to leave.

"No," Woohyun said, gesturing his friend back. "Come in. You've met Joohyuk Nam, haven't you?"

The two men nodded at each other, but Suzy noticed how rigidly Joohyuk held himself. This meeting with Halabeoji hadn't gone the way she'd planned. She'd wanted every thing to be calm and rational, a discussion uncluttered by messy emotions. Instead they'd ended up practically attacking each other, and worse, Suzy had been the one to throw the first punch.

Without asking, she walked over to the sideboard and pored Halabeoji and his friend a cup of coffee. Yosef sat across from her grandfather, clearly ill at ease.

"I should be going," Joohyuk said starkly. "Good to see you again, Dr. Coleman."

"You, too," Halaboeji's friend said, glancing briefly at Joohyuk. His puzzled gaze quickly returned to Woohyun.

"I'll walk you to the front door," Suzy offered, eager to make her own escape. She closed the library doors behind her.

Both she and Joohyuk paused in the entryway. Suzy tried to smile, but Joohyuk was studying her intently, and her heart clenched like fist inside her chest. They'd done what they had to do; she should be experiencing relief that the confrontation she'd dreaded for days was finally over. Instead she felt a strange sadness, one she couldn't fully understand or explain.

"Do you think we convinced him?"

"I don't know," Joohyuk answered, keeping his tone low. "Your grandfather's a difficult man to read. Maybe he'll never bring up the subject of our marrying again and we're home free. I'd like to believe that's the case. It's just as likely, though, that he'll give us a few days peace while he regroups. I don't expect him to back off quite so easily."

"No, I don't suppose he will."

Joohyuk looked at his watch. "I should be going," he said again.

Suzy was reluctant to see him leave, but there was no reason to detain him. Her hand was on the doorknob when she suddenly hesitated and turned around. "I didn't mean what I said in there," she blurted in a frenzy of regret.

"You mean you do want us to get married?"

"No," she cried. aghast. "I'm talking about when I said you were stubborn and rude. That isn't really true, but I had to come up with some reason for finding you objectionable. I don't really believe it, though."

"It was the same with me. I don't think you're so intolerable, either. I was trusting that you knew it was all an act for your grandfather's sake."

"I did," she assured him, but her pride had been dented, although that wasn't anything new.

"The last four days have been difficult," Joohyuk went on. "Not only was Woohyun gloating about Scotland, but like I told you, he's been giving me these amused looks and odd little smiles. A couple of times I heard him saying something in Korean—something I didn't learn as a child—I'm afraid to guess what."

"Well, I know what he was saying, because he's been doing the same thing to me. He's talking about babies."

"Babies?" Joohyuk echoed, his eyes startled.

"Ours in particular."

One corner of Joohyuk's mouth lifted, as if he found the thought of them as parents amusing. Or unlikely.

"That was my reaction, too. Every time I've seen Halabeoji in the last few days, he's started talking about... well, you know."

Joohyuk nodded. "I do know. The situation hasn't been pleasant for either of us."

"Setting Halabeoji straight was for the best." But if that was the case, why did she feel this terrible letdown? "If he accepts us at our word—and he just might—then I guess this is goodbye."

"Yes, I suppose it is," Joohyuk responded, but he made no effort to leave.

Suzy was glad, because these few moments gave her the opportunity to memorize his features. She stored them for the future, when there'd be no reason for her to have anything but the most infrequent and perfunctory contact with Joohyuk.

"Unless, of course, your grandfather continues to throw us together."

"Of course," Suzy added quickly, hating they way her heart soared at the prospect. "Naturally, we'd have to confront him again. We can't allow ourselves to be his pawns."

Joohyuk was about to say something else wen the library door flew open and Yosef Coleman hurried out, the urgency on his face unmistakable. "Suzy, I think we should call a doctor for your grandfather."

"What's wrong?"

"I'm not sure. He's very pale and he seems to be having trouble breathing. It might be his heart."

With Joohyuk following. Suzy ran into the library, her own heart in jeopardy. Dr. Coleman was right—she'd never seen her grandfather look worse. His breath came noisily and his eyes were closed as he rested his head against the back of the chair. He looked old, far older than she could ever remember seeing him. She felt a sense of panic as she raced across the room to the desk where there was a phone.

"I'm fine," Halabeoji said hoarsely, opening his eyes and slowly straightening. He raised his hand in an effort to stop Suzy. "There's no need for everyone to go into a tizzy just because an old man wants to rest his rests for a few minutes." His smile was weak, his complexion still pale. "Now don't go calling any doctor. I was in last week for a checkup and I'm fit as a fiddle."

"You don't look so fit," Joohyuk countered and Suzy noticed that his face seemed almost as ashen as her grandfather's. Kneeling beside him, Joohyuk grasped his wrist and began to check his pulse.

"I'm fine," Halabeoji insisted again.

"Are you in any pain?"

Halabeoji's gaze moved from Joohyuk and Suzy. "None," he answered, dismissing their concern with a shake of his head.

"Dr. Coleman?" Suzy turned to her grandfather's long-time friend. "Should I phoned his doctor?"

"What does Yosef know about an old man and his heart?" Halabeoji objected. "Yosef's expertise is with horses."

"Call the doctor. Having him checked over isn't going to hurt," Yosef said after a moment.

"Aish," Halabeoji roared. "I'm in perfect health."

"Good," Suzy said brightly. "But I'll just let Dr. Mae reassure me." She punched out the phone number and had to speak loudly in order to be heard over her grandfather's protests. A couple of minutes later, she replaced the receiver and told Joohyuk, "Dr. Mae says we can bring him in now."

"I'm not going to waste valuable time traipsing downtown. Yosef and I were going to play a few hands of cards."

"We can play tomorrow," Dr. Coleman said gruffly. "You keep forgetting, Woohyun, we're both retiring."

"I've got things to do at the office."

"No, you don't." Joohyuk said firmly. "You've got a doctor's appointment. Suzy and I are going to you there and we're not going to listen to a single argument. Do you understand?"

Halabeoji's eyes narrowed as if her were preparing a loud rebuttal. But he apparently changed his mind, because he relaxed and nodded sluggishly, reluctantly. "All right, if it'll make you feel better. But I'm telling you right now, you're going to look like a fine pair of fools."

The next two hours felt like two years to Suzy. While Dr. Mae examined Halabeoji, she and Joohyuk paced the waiting room. Several patients came and went.

"What could be taking so long?" Suzy asked, wringing her hands nervously. "Do you think we did the right thing bringing him here? I mean, should we have gone directly to the hospital emergency room instead?"

"I doubt he would have agreed to that," Joohyuk said.

"Do you honestly believe I would've listened to him?" She sat on the edge of the chair, her hands clenched so tightly together her knuckles whitened. "It's ridiculous, but I've never thought of Halabeoji as old. He's always been so healthy, so alive. I've never once considered what would happen if he became ill."

"He's going to be fine, Suzy."

"You saw him," she cried, struggling against the dread and horror that churned inside her.

Joohyuk's hand clasped hers and the fears that had torn at her composure only seconds earlier seemed to abate with his touch. He lent her confidence and strength, and she was badly in need of both.

When the door leading to the doctor's office opened, they leapt to their feet. Joohyuk's hand tightened around hers before he released it.

"Dr. Mae can talk to you now," the nurse told them briskly. She led them to a compact office and explained that the doctor would be with them in a few minutes. Suzy sat in one of cushioned chairs and studied the framed diplomas on the walls.

Dr. Mae came into the room moments later. He paused to shake hands with Suzy and then Joohyuk. "So far, my tests don't show anything we need to be too concerned about," he said shuffling through the papers on his desk.

"What happened? Why was he so pale? Why was he gasping like that?" Suzy demanded.

Dr. Mae frowned and folded his hands. "I'm really not sure. He claimed he hadn't been doing any strenuous exercise."

"No, he was drinking coffee and talking to a friend."

Dr. Mae nodded. "Did he recently receive any negative news regarding his business?"

"No," Suzy replied, glancing at Joohyuk. "If anything, the business is doing better than ever. Halabeoji is getting ready to retire. I hate the thought of anything happening to him now."

"I don't know what to tell you," Dr. Mae said thoughtfully. "He should take it easy for the next couple of days, but there's nothing to worry about that I can find.'

Suzy sighed and closed her eyes. "Thank God."

"Your grandfather's getting dressed now," Dr. Mae said. He stood, signaling the end of their interview. "He'll join you in a few minutes."

"Thank you Doctor," Joohyuk said fervently.

Relief washed through Suzy like tidal wave. She got up and smiled at Joohyuk. It was smile full of gratitude. A smile one might share with a good friend when something has gone unexpectedly right. The kind of smile a woman would share with her husband. The thought hit her full force and she quickly lowered her eyes to cover her reaction.

When Halabeoji joined them in the waiting room, he looked immeasurably better. His brown eyes were filled  with indignation and his skin tone was a healthy pink. "I hope the two of you are satisfied," he said huskily, buttoning up his coat. "Most of the afternoon was wasted with this nonsense."

"You were a hundred percent correct, Halabeoji," Suzy said brightly. "You're as fit as an athlete and we wasted valuable cards time dragging you down here."

"I should've been back the office hours ago," Joohyuk put in, sharing a smile with Suzy.

"And whose fault is that?" Woohyun muttered. He brushed off his sleeves as though he'd been forced to pick himself up of the floor, thanks to them.

Once more Suzy and Joohyuk shared an intimate look. They both seemed to realized what they were doing at the same moment and abruptly glanced away.

Joohyuk drove Halabeoji and Suzy back to the house, Halabeoji protesting loudly all the while that they'd overreacted and ruined his afternoon. His first concern seemed to be rescheduling his cards game.

Afterward Suzy walked Joohyuk to his car. "Thanks for everything," he said, folding her arms to repress the sudden urge to hug him.

"If you're worried about anything, give me a call," Joohyuk said as he opened the car door. He hesitated fractionally, then lifted his head and look directly into her eyes. "Goodbye, Suzy." 

She raised her hand in farewell as a sadness settled over her. "Goodbye, Joohyuk," she said forcing a lightness into her voice. "Thanks again."

For the longest time, he said nothing, although his eyes still held hers. Finally he repeated, "Call me if you need anything, all right?"

"I will."

But they both knew she wouldn't. It was best to end this now. Make a clean break.

Suzy stood in the driveway until Joohyuk's car was well out of sight. Only then did she return to the house.

☆*: .。. o(≧ _ ≦)o .。.:*☆

"This is really good for you," Kristina Prime whispered, handing the sleeping infant to Suzy. "I don't knw what I would've done if I'd had to drag Lucas to the interview. I need this job so badly."

"I'm happy to help." Suzy peered down at the sweet face of the sleeping six-month-old baby. "I apologize if it was inconvenient for you to bring Lucas here, but I've been sticking close to the house for the past few days. My grandfather hasn't been feeling well."

"It wasn't any problem." Kristina whispered, setting the diaper bag on the floor. She glanced around the house. "This place is really something. I didn't have any idea that you... well, you know. that you were so well off."

"This house belongs to my grandfather," Suzy explained, gently rocking Lucas in her arms. The warmth and tenderness she felt toward the baby was a revelation. She supposed it was understandable, though. Halabeoji had spent last week constantly telling her what remarkable babies she and Joohyuk would have, and here she was with one in her arms. All the maternal instincts she didn't know she had came bubbling to the surface.

"I'll be back in about an hour," Kristina said. She leaned over and kissed Lucas's soft forehead. He didn't so much as stir.

Still carrying the baby,  Suzy walked to the door with her friend. "Good luck."

Kristina gave a strained smile and crossed her fingers. "Thanks. Here's hoping."

No sooner had the door closed than Woohyun walked into the living room. He paused when he saw Suzy rocking in the old chair that had once belonged to his wife. His face relaxed into a broad grin.

"Is that baby you've got there?"

Suzy smiled. "Nothing gets past you, does it, Halabeoji?"

He chuckled. "Who's he belong to?"

"Kristina Prime. She's another volunteer at the Friendship Club. She quit her job when Lucas was born, but now she'd like to find some part-time work."

"Are you volunteering to babysit for her?"

"Just for today," Suzy explained. "Her regular sitter has the flu."

"I thought you were going out?" Halabeoji muttered with a slight frown. "You haven't left the house all week. Fact is, you're becoming a recluse."

"I've had other things to do," she returned, not raising her voice for the fear of disturbing the baby.

"Right. The other thing you had to do were keep an eye on your grandfather," he said. "You think I didn't notice? How long do you plan on being my shadow? You should be gadding about, doing the things you normally do, instead of worrying yourself sick over me. I'm fine, I tell you. When are you going to listen to me?

"Dr. Mae said to watch you for a few days."

"It's been a week."

Suzy was well aware of it. In fact, she was beginning to suffer from cabin fever. She'd hardly spoken to anyone all week. She hadn't heard from Joohyuk, either. Not that she'd expected to. Perhaps Halabeoji had taken them at their word. Or else he was doing what Joohyuk had suspected and simply regrouping for the next scheme.

Lucas stirred in her arms and she held him against her shoulder, rocking him back to sleep.

"I'm going to the office tomorrow," Halabeoji announced, eyeing her defiantly as though he anticipated a challenge. 

"We'll see," she said, delaying the showdown.

Yawning, baby Lucas raised his head and looked around. Halabeoji's weathered face broke into a tender smile. "All right," he agreed easily. "We'll see." He offered the little boy his finger and Lucas gripped it firmly in his hand, then started to chew on it.

Suzy laughed, enjoying her grandfather's reaction to the baby. After a couple of minutes, Lucas grew tired of the game with Woohyun's finger and yawned again, arching his back. Suzy decided it was time to check his diaper. She got up, reaching for the bad Kristina had left.

"I'll be back in a minute," she told her grandfather.

She was halfway across the living room when Woohyun stopped her. "You look with a baby in your arms. Natural."

Suzy smiled. She didn't dare let him know it felt good, too.

While she was changing the baby, she heard the doorbell. Normally she would've answered it herself, but since she was busy, either Halabeoji or Mrs. Matthews would see to it.

Lucas was happily investigating his toes and making cooing sounds as Suzy pulled up his legs. "You're going to have to be patient with me, kiddo," she told him, carefully untwisting the legs of his corduroy overalls and snapping them back in place. When she'd finished, she lifted them high above her head and laughed when Lucas squealed delightedly. They were both smiling when she returned to the living room.

Halabeoji was sitting in the chair closest to the grand piano, and across from him was Joohyuk.

Suzy's heart lurched as her eyes flew instantly to Joohyuk's. "Hello, Joohyuk," she said, striving to sound as nonchalant as possible, tucking Lucas against her hip. She cast a suspicious glare at her grandfather, who smiled back. the picture of innocence.

"Joohyuk brought some papers for me to sign," Halabeoji explained.

"I didn't mean to interrupt you," she apologized. Her eyes refused to leave Joohyuk's. He smiled that slanted half-smile of his that wasn't really a smile at all. The one she'd always found so appealing. Something seemed to pass between—a tenderness, a hunger.

"Suzy's not interrupting anything, is she?" Halabeoji aked.

"No," Joohyuk responded gruffly. He seemed to be taking in everything about her, from her worn jeans and matching white cardigan set to the gurgling baby riding so casually on her hip.

Halabeoji cleared his throat. "If you'll excuse me a moment, I'll go get a pen," he said, leaving them alone together.

"How have you been?" Joohyuk asked, his eyes riveted to her.

"Fine. Just fine."

"I see you haven't had any problems finding another admirer," he murmured, nodding at Lucas.

Joohyuk kept his tone light and teasing, and Suzy followed his lead. "Lucas Prime," she said, turning slightly to give Joohyuk a better view of the baby, "meet Mr. Joohyuk Nam."

"Hello," Joohyuk said, holding up his palm. He seemed awkward around children. "I take it you're watching him for a friend."

"Yes, another volunteer. She's looking for a part-time job, but she's having a problem finding one with the right hours. She's at an interview."

"I see."

Suzy sank down on the ottoman in front of Joohyuk's chair and set Lucas on her knee. She focused on her attention on gently bouncing the baby. "Now that your life's back in order," she said playfully, looking up at Joohyuk, "have you discovered how much you miss me?"

He chuckled softly. "It's been how long since we last talked? Seven days? I'm telling you, Suzy. I haven't had a single disagreement with anyone in all that time."

"That should make you happy."

"You're right. It should." He shook his head. "Unfortunately it doesn't. You know what, Suzy? I was bored to death. So the answer is yes, I missed you."