☆*: .。. o(≧ 1 ≦)o .。.:*☆

But First, Marriage

"You must be Joohyuk Nam," Suzy said breathlessly as she whirled into the office. "Sorry I'm late, but I got stuck in traffic on StartUp Avenue. I didn't realize they'd torn up the whole street." Still a little winded, she unfastened her coat, tossed it over the back of the visitor's chair and threw herself down, facing the large executive desk.

The man on the other side blinked twice as though he didn't know quite what to think.

"I'm Suzy Bae." She drew in a deep breath. "Halabeoji said if he wasn't back from his appointment, I should introduced myself."

"Yes," Joohyuk said after a moment of strained silence. "But he didn't tell me you'd be wearing—"

"Oh, the curtain dress," Suzy said, smoothing one hand over her lap. The dress had been constructed of different shades of pink curtains; it featured  ruffles on the sleeves and on the front. "It was a gift. And since I'm meeting the girl who made it later, I thought I should wear it."

"And the necklace?"

Suzy toyed with the colored Christmas lights that dangled from her neck. "It's a bit outrageous, isn't it? That was a gift, too. I think it's kind of cute, don't you? Jenny is so clever."

"Jenny?"

"A teenager from the Friendship Club."

"I . . . see," Joohyuk said.

"I do volunteer work there and the two of us hit it off as soon as we met. Jenny's mother doesn't live in the area and she's at that awkward age and needs a friend. For some reason she took a liking to me, which was fine because I think she's wonderful."

"I see," he said again.

Suzy doubted he did.

"The necklace is different I'll admit," Joohyuk was saying—which wasn't admitting to much. His dark eyes narrowed as he studied it.

Now that she'd met Joohyuk Nam, Suzy could understand why her grandfather was so impressed with him—if appearances were anything to judge by. In his well-tailored suit, he was the very picture of a high-powered executive, crisp, formal and in control. He was younger than she'd assumed, possibly in his late twenties, but it was difficult to tell. His facial features were attractive, but he wasn't strikingly Greek God. Still, she found herself fascinated by the strength of character she saw in the uneven planes of his face. His dark hair was short and styled along his parting. His jaw is strong, his cheekbones high and his mouth full. That was they she'd described him physically, but there was apparently much more to this man than met the eye. At least, her grandfather was convinced of it.

Several months earlier Woohyun Bae had merged his well-established business-supply firm with the fast-expanding company owned by Joohyuk Nam

Several months earlier Woohyun Bae had merged his well-established business-supply firm with the fast-expanding company owned by Joohyuk Nam. Together the two men had quickly dominated the market.

For weeks now, Halabeoji had wanted Suzy to meet Joohyuk. His name had popped up in every conversation, no matter what they were discussing. To say her grandfather thought highly of his partner was an understatement.

"Halabeoji has spoken . . . well of you," she said next.

A hint of a smile—just the merest suggestion—touched his mouth, giving her the impression that he didn't smile often. "Your grandfather has one of the keenest business minds in the country."

"He's incredible, isn't he?"

Joohyuk's nod betrayed no hesitation.

There was a polite knock on the door and a tall middle-aged woman wearing a navy blue pin-stripe suit stepped into the room. "Mr. Bae phoned," she announced primly. "He's been delayed and asked that you meet him at the restaurant."

Joohyuk's lean face tightened briefly before he cast Suzy an uneasy glance. "Did he say when he was going to get there?"

"I'm sorry, Mr. Nam, but he didn't,"

Suzy looked at her watch. She was supposed to meet Jenny at three. If they were delayed much longer, she'd be late.

She scowled at Joohyuk's apparent reluctance to entertain her in Halabeoji's absence. "Maybe it would be best if we rescheduled for another day," she offered brightly. She wasn't any happier about the prospect of waiting in a restaurant, just the two of them, than he was. "Halabeoji is held up, I'm meeting Jenny, and you're obviously a busy man."

An uncomfortable silence followed her remark. "Is it  your habit not to show up when your grandfather's expecting you?" he asked sharply.

Suzy bristled. "Of course not." She swallowed the words to defend herself. Her suggestion hasn't been unreasonable and he had no right to insinuate that she was inconsiderate and rude.

"Then I feel we should meet your grandfather at the restaurant as he requested," he finished stiffly.

"By all means," she said, forcing a smile. She stood and reached for her coat, watching Joohyuk from the corner of her eye. He didn't like her. That realization had a peculiar effect on Suzy. She felt disappointed and a little sad. Joohyuk hadn't said much, and actually there hadn't been time for a real conversation, but she'd sensed his attitude almost from the first. He thought of her as spoiled and frivolous, probably because he knew she didn't hold a responsible job and loved to travel. Part of her longed to explain that there were good reasons she'd chosen the lifestyle she had. But from the looks he was sending her, it would be a waste of breath.

Besides, it was more important to maintain the peace, however strained, for Halabeoji's sake. She'd have enjoyed getting to know Joohyuk, perhaps even becoming friends, but that didn't seem likely.

That morning, before Halabeoji had left the house, he'd been as excited as a little boy about their luncheon date. He'd come down the stairs whistling when he'd joined her for breakfast, his brown eyes sparkling. When she'd refused the use of the limousine, he'd spent the next fifteen minutes giving her detailed directions, as though she'd never driven in downtown New York.

Almost as an afterthought, he'd mentioned that he has a morning meeting with an important client. If he hadn't returned by the time she arrived, she was to go directly to Joohyuk's office, introduced herself and wait for him there.

Shrugging into a raincoat, Joohyuk moved toward the door. "Are you ready?"

She nodded, burying her hands in her pockets.

Thankfully the restaurant her grandfather had chosen was close by. Without further discussion, they began to walk the few short blocks, although Suzy had trouble matching her stride with Joohyuk's much longer one.

Struggling to keep up with him, Suzy studied Joohyuk Nam, trying to determine exactly what disturbed her about the man. His height was a good example—taller than six feet, she guessed—and since she was five-six there was already a huge height difference between them. Why, then, did he make her feel even much shorter?

He must have sensed her scrutiny because he turned and glared at her. Suzy gave him a feeble smile, and felt the color rise in her cheeks. Joohyuk's dismissive glance did nothing to boost her ego. She wasn't vain, but Suzy knew she was attractive. Over the years, plenty of men had told her so, including Eric, the man who'd broken her heart. But she could have warts on her nose for all the notice Joohyuk Nam gave her.

If he found the curtain dress disconcerting, he was probably put off by her hairstyle as well. She wore it half up and curtain bangs framing her face. For years Suzy had kept her hair long, parted in the middle. One afternoon a few weeks earlier, for no particular reason, she'd decided to have bangs. She was in the mood for something radical and the style she now sported seemed more appropriate to the pages of a fashion magazine. Jenny had been crazy about the change, insisting she looked "phenomenal." Suzy wasn't convinced. Her one comfort was that, given time, her hair would grow back.

Suzy suspected Joohyuk had characterized her as flamboyant, if not downright flashy. She, in turn, would describe him as austere and disciplined, perhaps solitary. Her grandfather saw all that, she knew, and a good deal more.

"Mr. Bae is waiting for you," the host informed them when they entered the plush waterfront restaurant. He led them across the thick carpet to a high semicircular booth upholstered in blue velvet.

 "Suzy, Joohyuk." Woohyun Bae smiled broadly as they approached. The years has been kind to her grandfather. His bearing was still straight and confident, although his hair had grown completely white. His deep brown eyes, only a little faded, were filled with warmth and wisdom. "I apologize for the inconvenience."

"It wasn't any problem," Joohyuk answered for both of them before Suzy could respond—as if he'd expected her to complain!

Ignoring him, Suzy removed her coat and kissed her grandfather's  cheek.

"Suzy," he began, then gasped. "Where did you get that . . . dress?"

"Do you like it?" She threw out her arms and whirled around once to give him the full effect. "I know it's a bit unconventional, but I didn't think you'd mind."

Halabeoji's gaze flickered to Joohyuk, then back to her. "On anyone else it would be scandalous, but on you, my dear, it's a work of art."

"Honestly, Halabeoji," she said, laughing softly. "You could never lie very well." She slid into the booth next to her grandfather, forcing him into the center, between her and Joohyuk. Halabeoji looked a bit disgruntled, but after her turbulent first encounter with Joohyuk, she preferred to keep her distance. For that matter, he didn't seem all that eager to be close to her, either.

She glanced at him and noted, almost smugly, that he was already studying the menu. No doubt he found ordinary conversation a waste of time. Suzy picked up her own menu. She was famished. At breakfast he'd only had time for coffee and a single piece of toast, and she had every intention of making up for it now.

When the waiter came to take their order, Suzy asked for the seafood entrée and soup and salad. She'd decide about dessert later, she said. Once he'd left, Halabeoji leaned toward Joohyuk. "Suzy never has to worry about her weight." He made this sound as if it was subject of profound and personal interest to them both. "Her grandmother was the same way. How my Nayeon could eat, and she never gained an ounce. Suzy's just like her."

"Halabeoji," Suzy whispered under her breath. "I'm sure Joohyuk doesn't care less how much I weigh."

"Nonsense," Halabeoji said, gently patting her hand. "I hope you two had the chance to introduced yourselves."

"Oh, yes," Suzy returned automatically.

"Your granddaughter is everything you claimed," Joohyuk said, but the inflection in his voice implied something completely different to Suzy than it did to her grandfather. She guessed that to Woohyun, he seemed courteous and complimentary. But he was telling Suzy he'd found her to be the spoiled darling he'd long suspected. He didn't openly dislike her, but he wasn't too impressed with her, either.

Unfortunately, that was probably due to more than just the dress and the lightbulb necklace.

Suzy watched for her grandfather's reaction to Joohyuk's words and she knew she was right when his gaze warmed and he nodded. obviously pleased by his partner's assessment. Joohyuk nam was clever, Suzy had to grant him that much.

"How did the meeting with Anderson go?" Joohyuk asked.

For a moment her grandfather stared at him blankly. "Oh, Anderson . . . Fine, fine. Everything went just as I'd hoped." Then he cleared his throat and carefully spread the linen napkin across his lap. "As you both know," he said, "I've been wanting the two of you to meet for some time now. Suzy is the joy of my life. She's kept me young and brought me much happiness over the years. I fear that, without her, I would have turned into a bitter old man."

His look was so full of tenderness that Suzy had to lower her eyes and swallow back a rush of tears. Halabeoji had been her salvation, too. He'd taken her in after the sudden death of her parents, raised her with a gentle hand and loved her enough to allow her to be herself. It must've been difficult for him to have six-year-old girl unexpectedly into his life, but he'd never complained.

"My only son died far too young," Woohyun said slowly, painfully.

"I'm sorry," Joohyuk murmured.

The genuine compassion Suzy heard in his voice surprised her. And it definitely pleased her. Joohyuk's respect and affection for her grandfather won her immediate approval—even if the man didn't seem likely to ever feel anything so positive toward her.

"For many years I mourned the loss of my son and his wife," Woohyun continued, his voice gaining strength. "I've worked all my life, built an empire that stretches across the country of America, and in the process have become a wealthy man."

Suzy studied her grandfather closely. He was rarely this serious. He wasn't one to list his accomplishments, and she wondered at his strange mood.

"When Joohyuk brought his business into the area, I saw in him a rare gift, one that comes along seldom in this life. It's said that there are men who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened. In many ways, the two of us are alike. That's one of the primary reasons I decided to approach him with a proposal to merge our companies."

"I'm honored that you should think so, sir."

"Sir," Woohyun repeated softly and chuckled. He raised his hand, motioning for the waiter. "You haven't called me that in six months, and there's no reason to start again now."

The waiter returned with a bottle of expensive champagne. Soon glasses were poured and set before them.

"Now," Woohyun continued, "as I said earlier, I have the two people I love most in this world together with me for the first time, and I don't mind telling you, it feels good." He raised his glass. "To happiness."

"Happiness," Suzy echoed, sipping her champagne.

Her eyes met Joohyuk's above the crystal flute and she saw a glint of admiration. If she were dining on it, she'd starve—to quote a favorite expression of her grandfather's—but it was just enough for her to know what he'd think more kindly of her because of her love for Woohyun.

Her grandfather chuckled and whispered something  in his native tongue, an olden dialect from the old dynasty. Over the years she'd picked up a smattering of the language, but when she'd repeated a few phrases to a college professor that specializes in dialects, he'd barely recognized the words. Halabeoji paused and his smile lingered on Suzy, then went to Joohyuk. Whatever Halabeoji was muttering appeared to please him. His brown eyes fairly twinkled with delight.

"And now," he said, setting his glass aside, "I have an important announcement to make."

He turned to Suzy and his face softened with affection. "I feel as though I've been an impossible burden to you, child, what with running this company." He shook his head. "Never in all my dreams did I expect to accumulate so much in a single lifetime. I've stayed in the business far longer than I should. It's time for me to retire and do a little travelling."

"It's past time," Suzy said. For years, she'd been urging her grandfather to lessen his heavy work schedule. He'd often spoken of revisiting his birthplace and European countries. He talked at length of cousins and friends he'd left behind in the small South Korean settlement. It was located in what was now part of North Korea.

"This is where Joohyuk comes into the picture," Woohyun explained. "I know myself all too well. Full retirement would be impossible for me. If I stopped working, I'd shrivel up and die. That's just the way I am," he said simply.

Neither Suzy nor Joohyuk disputed his words.

"I'll never be able to keep my fingers out of business, yet I want to enjoy my travels. I couldn't do that if I was fretting about what was going on at the office." He paused as if he expected one of them to contradict him. "I believe I've come upon a solution. As of this afternoon, Joohyuk, I'm handing the reins to you. You will assume my position as chairman of the board. I realize this is sooner than we discussed, but the time is right and I hope you'll agree."

"But, Woohyun—"

"Halabeoji—"

Woohyun held up his hand. "I've thought about this long and hard," he said confidently. "I find Joohyuk's honesty unquestionable, his loyalty certain and his intelligence keen. He's shrewd, perceptive and insightful. I can think of no better man, and there's no better time."

Suzy noticed that Joohyuk seems uncomfortable with the praise. "Thank you," was all he said.

"A share of this company will belong to you someday, Suzy," Woohyun said next. "Do you have any objections to this appointment?"

She opened , but nothing came out. Of course she approved. What else could she do? "Whatever you decide is fine with me."

Woohyun turned his attention to the other man. "Joohyuk, do you accept?"

Although their acquaintance had been brief, Suzy knew instinctively that it took a lot to fluster this man. But her grandfather had managed to do so.

Joohyuk continued to stare at him as though he couldn't quite believe what he was hearing. But when he spoke, his voice was well modulated, revealing little emotion. "I'm honored."

"For the next few months, we'll be working closely together, much as we have in the past, but with a difference. No longer will I be showing you the ropes. I'll be handing them to you."

The first course of their lunch arrived, and after that, the conversation flowed smoothly. Her grandfather made sure of it. He was jubilant and entertaining, witty and charming. It would have been impossible not to be affected by his good humor.

When they'd finished the meal, Joohyuk looked at his watch. "I'm sorry to leave so soon, but I have an appointment."

Suzy took a last sip of her coffee. "I should be leaving, too." She reached for her purse and coat, then slid out of the booth, waiting for her grandfather to join her.

"If neither of you objects, I'm going to linger over my coffee," Woohyun said, nodding toward his steaming cup. 

"Of course." Suzy leaned over to kiss him goodbye.

Joohyuk walked out to the street with her. Before he left, he shook her hand. "It's been a pleasure, Ms. Bae."

"You're sure?" she teased, unable to stop herself.

"Yes." His eyes held hers and he smiled. She walked away feeling oddly excited about their meeting. Joohyuk wasn't an easy person to know, but she suspected he was everything her grandfather claimed and more.

☆*: .。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆

Halabeoji's mood remained cheerful when he got home later that evening. Suzy was in the library sipping herbal tea with her feet tucked under her as she watched the local news.

Sitting in the leather chair next to her, Halabeoji crossed his legs and chose one of his cigars. Suzy shook her head affectionately as he lit it; she loved her grandfather dearly and wished he'd stop smoking, though she no longer bothered to express that wish. He was the kind of man who did exactly as he chose, got exactly what he wanted. He was obviously pleased with the way their luncheon had gone, and she wondered briefly if Joohyuk had said anything about her afterward. Somehow she doubted it.

"Well," he said after a moment, "What do you think of Joohyuk Nam?" He blew a steady steam of smoke at the ceiling while awaited her answer.

All afternoon, Suzy had prepared herself for his question. Several complicated answers had presented themselves, clever replies that would sidestep her true feelings, but she used none of them now. Her grandfather expected the truth, and it was her duty to give it to him.

"I'm not sure. He's a very . . . reserved man, isn't he?"

Woohyun chuckled. "Yes, he is, but I've never known you to walk away from a challenge. The boy's a little rough around the edges, but on the inside, he's pure gold."

Suzy hadn't thought of Joohyuk in those terms—a challenge. Honestly, she doubted there'd be much reason for her to have any future contact with him. Halabeoji and Joohyuk would be working closely together, but she had almost nothing to do with the business.

"I've earned his trust, but it took time," Halabeoji was saying now.

"I'm glad you've decided to retire," she said absently, half listening to the weather report.

"Joohyuk will change," her grandfather added.

He had her full attention now. "Halabeoji," she said patiently, holding in a laugh. "Why should he? He's achieved considerable financial success. Everything's looking good for him. What possible reason could there be for him to change?"

Woohyun stood and poured himself a liberal dose of whiskey, swirling it slowing in the bottom of the glass. "You're going to change him," he said after a thoughtful moment.

"Me?" Suzy laughed outright. "I'm going to change Joohyuk Nam?" she repeated in wide-eyed disbelief. That would be the day!

"Before you argue with me, and I can see that's what you're dying to do, I have a story I want to tell you. A rather sad one as it happens."

Suzy picked up the remote control and snapped off the television. She'd often listened to her grandfather's parables. "So tell me."

"It's about a boy, born on the wrong side of the world to an alcoholic father and a weak mother. he never had much of a chance in life. His father was abusive enough for the state to remove the boy and his younger sister. He was barely eight and subjected to a long series of foster homes, but he refused to be separated from his sister. He's promised her he'd always take care of her.

"Once, there wasn't any alternative and the two were sent to separate homes. Beside himself with worry for his sister, the young boy ran away. The authorities were in a panic, but three days later, he turned up two hundred miles away at the home where they'd placed Julie."

"He probably felt responsible for her."

"Yes. Which made matters much worse when she drowned in a swimming accident. He was twelve at the time."

"Oh, no." A pain squeezed Suzy's heart at the agony the boy had suffered.

"He blamed himself, of course," Woohyun said softly.

"The poor kid."

"This boy never seemed to belong to anyone after that," Halabeoji said, staring into this whiskey. "He never quite fit in, but that wasn't entirely his fault." He paused to take another puff of his cigar. "His mother died a month after his sister. They were the only ones who'd ever truly loved him. He lost contact with his father, which was probably for the best. So his family was gone and no one seemed to want this troubled, hurting boy."

"Did he turn into a juvenile delinquent?" It made sense to Suzy that he would; she'd dealt with a number of troubled teenagers through her volunteer work and was familiar with the tragic patterns that so often evolved in cases like this.

"No, I can't say he did." Halabeoji dismissed her question with a shake of his head, more interested in continuing his tale then getting sidetracked by her questions. "He drifted through adolescence without an anchor and without ever being allowed to enjoy these formative years."

"Halabeoji—"

He raised his hand to stop her. "When he was eighteen, he joined the military. He did well, which isn't surprising, considering his intelligence and the fact that he had little regard for his own well-being. There was no one to mourn if he died. Because of his courage, he advanced quickly, volunteering for the riskiest assignments. He traveled all over the world to some of the most dangerous political hot spots. His duties were often top secret. There's no telling how far he might have gone had he chosen to remain in the armed services, but for some reason, he resigned. No one understood why. I suspect he wanted to start his life over. This was when he opened a business-supply company. Within a year, he had my attention. His methods were aggressive and creative. I couldn't help admiring the way he handled himself and the company. Within five years, he'd become one of my most serious rivals. I saw a strength in him that age has stolen from me. We met. We talked. As a result of these talks we joined forces."

"Obviously you're telling me about Joohyuk's life."

Woohyun smiled and slowly sipped his whiskey. "You noticed his remoteness quickly. I thought knowing all this would help you. Joohyuk's never had the security that a caring home and family provide. He's never really experienced love, except what he shared with his sister, Julie. His life has been a long progression of painful experiences. By sheer force of will, he's managed to overcome every obstacle placed in his path. I realize Joohyuk Nam isn't going to win any Mr. Personality contests, but by heaven, he's earned my respect."

Suzy had rarely heard much emotion in her grandfather's voice. "Joohyuk told you all this?"

Woohyun's laughter echoed through the room. "You're joking, aren't you? Joohyuk has never spoken of his past to me. I doubt he has to anyone."

"You had him investigated?"

Halabeoji puffed on his cigar before answering. "It was necessary, although I'd guessed early on that his life hadn't been a bed of roses."

"It's all very sad, isn't it?"

"You're going to be very good for him, my dear."

Suzy blinked. "Me?"

"Yes, you. You're going to teach him to laugh and enjoy life. But most important, you're going to teach him about love."

She hesitated, uncertain of her grandfather's meaning. "I don't think I understand. I realize Joohyuk and I will probably see each other now and then since he's assuming your responsibilities with the company, but I don't see how I would have any great impact on his life."

Halabeoji smiled, a slow lazy smile that curved the corners of his mouth. "That's where you're wrong, my dear. You're going to play a very big role in Joohyuk's life, and he in yours."

Suzy was still confused. "Perhaps I missed something this afternoon. I thought you made Joohyuk the chairman of the board."

"I did." A lazy swirl of smoke circled his head.

"I don't understand where I come into the picture."

"I don't supposed you do," eh said softly. "You see, Suzy, I've chosen Joohyuk to be your husband."