☆*: .。. o(≧ 5 ≦)o .。.:*☆

But First, Marriage

"You think this is intentional, don't you?" Joohyuk demanded. "It's obvious you're the one running after me. You found the note I slipped under your door and-"

"I checked out just before midnight so I couldn't possibly have read your note," she said angrily. "And furthermore I left a message for you."

"I didn't get it."

"Then there's been a misunderstanding."

"To say at the least," Joohyuk muttered. "A misunderstanding..." His tone was doubtful, as if he suspected she'd purposefully arranged to fly home with him. She launched into an indignant protest.

"Excuse me, please."

The interruption was from an uniformed airline employee who was leaning over the counter and waving in an effort to gain their attention.

"May I have your ticket and passport?" she asked Suzy. "You're holding up the line."

"Of course. I'm sorry." The best thing to do, she decided, was to ignore Joohyuk completely. Just because they were booked on the same flight didn't mean they had to have anything to do with each other. Evidently they'd both panicked after their encounter in the garden. He was as eager to escape as she was.

Okay, so she'd ignore him and he'd ignore her. She'd return to her life, and he'd return to his. From this point forward, they need never have contact with each other again. Then they'd both be satisfied.

The airline clerk punched something into her computer. "I can give you your seat assignment now," she remarked, concentrating on the screen.

Standing on tiptoe, Suzy leaned toward the woman and lowered her voice into a whisper. "Could you make sure I'm as far from Mr. Nam's seat as possible?"

"This flight is booked solid," the attendant said impatiently. "The only reason you and your...friend were able to get seats was because of a last-minute cancellation. I'll do the best I can, but I can't rearrange everyone's seat assignments just before the flight."

"I understand," Suzy said, feeling foolish and petty. But the way her luck had been going, Joohyuk would end up in the seat beside hers, believing she'd purposely arranged that, too.

They boarded the flight separately; in fact, Joohyuk was one of the last passengers to step onto the plane.

By that time, Suzy was settled in the second row of the first-class section, flipping through the in-flight magazine. Joohyuk walked past her, intent on the boarding pass clutched in his hand.

Pretending she hadn't seen him seemed the best tactic, and she turned to gaze out the window.

"It seems I'm sitting here," Joohyuk announced brusquely, loading his carry-on luggage in the compartment above the seats.

Suzy had to bite her tongue to keep from insisting she'd had nothing to do with that. She'd even tried to prevent it, but she doubted Joohyuk would believe her.

"Before you claim otherwise. I want you to know I didn't arrange this," he said, sitting down beside her.

"I know that."

"You do?"

"Of course," Suzy told him. "The fates are against us. I don't know how my grandfather arranged our meeting at the airport or the adjoining seats, any more than I know why I stumbled on you my first day at the Inn. We might never have crossed paths. But somehow, some way. Halabeoji is responsible." That didn't sound entirely reasonable, but she thought it best not to mention their stroll in the moonlight.

"So you're not ready to unleash the full force of your anger on me?"

"I don't see how I can be upset with you--or the reverse. Neither of us asked for this."

"Exactly."

Suzy yawned loudly and covered . "Excuse me. I didn't sleep last night and now it's catching up with me."

Her yawn was contagious and soon Joohyuk's hand was warding off his own admission of drowsiness. The flight attendant came by with coffee, which both Joohyuk and Suzy declined.

"Honestly, I'd be more interested in a pillow," Suzy said, yawning again. The attendant handed her one, as well as a blanket, then offered the same to Joohyuk. He refused both, intending to work on some papers he'd withdrawn from his briefcase. The minute the plane was safely in the air, Suzy laid her head back and closed her eyes. Almost immediately she felt herself drifting into a peaceful slumber.

She stirred twice in the long hours that followed, but both time a gentle voice soothed her back to sleep. Sighing, she snuggled into the warmth, feeling more comfortable than she had in weeks.

She began to dream and could see herself walking across the moors, wearing Scottish dress, while bagpipes wailed in the background.

Then. on the crest of a hill, Joohyuk appeared, dressed in a button-down shirt with a black vest and a Black Watch kilt; a set of bagpipes was draped over his shoulder. Their eyes met and the music ceased. Then, out of nowhere, her grandfather appeared in Korean traditional clothing, standing halfway between the two, looking displeased. he cupped his hands over his mouth and shouted to Suzy. "Is this romance?"

"Yes," she shouted back.

"What else do you need?"

"Love."

"Love," Halabeoji repeated. He turned to Joohyuk, apparently seeking some kind of assistance.

Joohyuk started fiddling with his bagpipes, avoiding the question. He scowled as he concentrated on his task.

"Look at the pair of you," Halabeoji called. "You're perfect together. Joohyuk, when are you going to wake up and realize what a wonderful girl my Suzy is?"

"If I do get married, you can be sure I'll choose my own bride," Joohyuk hollered.

"And I'd prefer to pick out my own husband!"

"You're falling love with Joohyuk!" Halabeoji declared, obviously elated.

"I-I-" Suzy was so flustered she couldn't complete her thought, which only served to please her grandfather more.

"Look at her, boy." Halabeoji directed his attention to Joohyuk again. "See how lovely she is. And think of what beautiful children you'll have."

"Halabeoji! Enough about babies! I'm not marrying Joohyuk!"

"Suzy." Joohyuk's voice echoed in her ear.

"Keep out of this." she cried. He was the last person she wanted to hear from.

"You're having a dream."

Her eyes fluttered open and she saw Joohyuk's face close to her own, her head nestled against his chest. "Oh..." she mumbled, bolting upright. "Oh, dear... I'm sorry. I didn't realize I was leaning on you."

"I hated to wake you, but you seemed to be having a nightmare."

She blinked and tried to focus on him, but it was difficult, and to complicate matters her eyes started to water. She wiped her face with one sleeve. Then, straightening, she removed the pillow from behind her back and folded the blanket, trying to disguise how badly her hands were trembling.

"You're worried about what happened after dinner last night, aren't you?"

Suzy released a pent-up breath and smiled brightly as she lied. "Nothing really happened."

"In the garden, when we kissed. Listen," Joohyuk said in a low voice, glancing quickly around to ensure that no one could overhear their conversation, "I think it's time we talked about last night."

"I... You're right, of course." She didn't feel up to this, but she supposed it was best dealt with before she had to face her grandfather.

"Egos aside."

"By all means," Suzy agreed. She braced herself, not knowing what to expect. Joohyuk had made his views on the idea of an arranged marriage plain from the start; so had she. In fact, even her feelings about marriage based on love weren't all that positive at the moment. Brian had taught her a valuable lesson, a painful lesson, one she wouldn't easily forget. She'd given him her heart and her trust, and he'd betrayed both. Falling in love had been the most shattering experience of her life, and she had no intention of repeating it anytime soon.

"I'd be a liar if I didn't admit how nice kissing you was," Joohyuk said, "but I wish it had never happened. It created more problems than it solved."

Suzy was exactly flattered by his remark. Keeping egos out of this was harder than it sounded, she thought ruefully. Her expression must have revealed her thoughts because Joohyuk elaborated. "Before I arrived in Scotland, we hardly knew each other. We met that first afternoon over lunch-with Woohyun-and talked a couple a of times, but basically we were strangers."

"We had dinner one night," Suzy reminded him, annoyed that he could so casually dismiss it.

"Right," he acknowledged. "Then we met at the Inn and, bingo, we were having dinner together and walking in the moonlight, and before either of us knew how it happened, we were kissing."

Suzy nodded, listening quietly.

"There are several factors we can take into account, but if we're going to place blame for that kiss, I'm the one at fault."

"You?"

"Me," he confirmed with a grimace. "Actually, I'm prepared to accept full responsibility. I doubt you were aware of what was going on. It didn't take me long to see how innocent you are, and-"

"Now just a minute," Suzy snapped. Once gain he was taking potshots at her dignity. "What do you mean by that?"

"it's obvious you haven't had a lot of ual experience and-"

"In other words I'm so incredibly naïve that I couldn't possible be held accountable for a few kisses in the moonlight?"

"Something like that."

"Oh, brother," she muttered.

"There's no need to feel offended."

"I wasn't exactly raised in a convent, you know. And for your information. I've been kissed by more than one man."

"I'm sure you have. But we're getting sidetracked here-"

"I'm sorry you found me so inept. A man of your vast worldly experience must've been sorely disappointed by someone as unsophisticated as me, and-"

"Suzy," he said firmly, stopping her. "You're putting words in my mouth. All I was saying is that we-I-let matters get out of hand and we can't blame your grandfather for what happened."

"I'm willing to accept my part in this. I can also see where this conversation is leading."

"Good," Joohyuk said. It was clear that his composure was slipping. "Then you tell me."

"You think that because I enjoyed spending time with you and shared this mildly romantic evening and-"

"Mildly romantic?"

"Yes, you did say egos aside, didn't you? I'm just being honest."

"Fine," he said, tight-lipped.

"You seem to think that because you have so much more experience than I do, there's a real danger I'll be swooning at your feet." She drew out the word, enjoying her silliness, and batted her eyelashes furiously.

"Suzy, you're behaving like a child," he informed her coldly.

"Of course I am. That's exactly what you seem to expect of me."

Joohyuk's fingers tightened on the armrest. "You're purposely misconstruing everything I said."

"Whatever you're trying to say isn't necessary. You figure we had a borderline interest in each other and now we've crossed that border. Right? Well, I'm telling you that you don't need to worry." She in a deep breath and glared at him. "I'm right, aren't I? That's what you think, isn't it?"

"Something like that, yes."

Suzy nodded grimly. "And now you think that since you held me in your arms and you lost your control long enough to kiss me, I'm suddenly going to start entertaining the thoughts of the M word."

"The... M word?"

"Marriage."

"That's ridiculous," Joohyuk said, jamming the airline magazine back into the seta pocket in front of him.

"Well?"

"All I mean is that the temptation might be there and we should both be aware of it."

"Oh, honestly, Joohyuk," she said sarcastically, "You overestimate yourself."

"Listen, I wasn't the one mumbling about babies."

"I was having a dream! That has absolutely nothing to do with what we're talking about now."

"Could've fooled me." He reached for the same magazine he'd recently rejected and turned the pages hard enough to rip them in two. "I don't think this discussion is getting us anywhere."

Suzy sighed. "You were right, though. We did need to clear the air."

Joohyuk made a gruff indistinguishable reply.

"I'll try to keep out of your magnetic force field, but if I occasionally succumb to your overwhelming charm and forget myself, I can only beg for your forgiveness."

"Enough, Suzy."

He looked so annoyed with her that she couldn't help smiling. Joohyuk Nam was a man of such colossal ego it would serve him right if she pretended to faint every time he glanced in her direction. The image filled her mind with laughter.

Joohyuk leaned his head back and closed his eyes, effectively concluding their conversation. Suzy stared out the window at the first signs of sunrise, thinking about all kinds of things--expect her chaotic feelings for the man beside her.

Some time later, the pilot announced that the plan was approaching New York International Airport. Home sounded good to Suzy, although she fully intended to have a heart-to-heart talk with her grandfather about his matchmaking efforts.

Once they'd landed, she cleared customs quickly. She struggled with her two large pieces of luggage, pulling one by the handle and looping the long strap of her carry-on bag over her shoulder. Joohyuk was still dealing with the customs agent when she maneuvered her way outside into the bright morning sunlight, joining the line of people waiting for cabs.

"Here," Joohyuk said, from behind her, "I'll carry one of those for you." He'd managed to travel with only his briefcase and a garment bag, which was neatly folded and easily handled.

"Thank you," she said breathlessly.

"I thought we'd agreed to limit our expressions of gratitude toward each other," he grumbled, frowning as he lifted the suitcase.

"I apologize. It slipped my mind."

Joohyuk continued to grumble. "What'd you pack in here, anyway? Bricks?"

"If you're going to complain, I'll carry it myself."

He muttered something she couldn't hear and shook his head. "Once we get a cab-"

"We?"

"We're going to confront your grandfather."

"Together? Now?" She was exhausted, mentally and physically. They both were.

"The sooner the better, don't you think?"

The problem was, Suzy hadn't given much though to what she was going to say. Yes, she intended to challenge Halabeoji but she'd planned to wait for the most opportune time. And she'd hoped to speak to him privately. "he might not even be home," she argued, "and if he is, I'm not sure now would really be best."

"I want this settled once and for all."

"So do I," she said vehemently. "But I think we should choose when and how we do this more carefully, don't you?"

"Perhaps..." His agreement seemed hesitant, even grudging. "All right, we'll do it your way."

"It isn't my way. It just make sense to organize our thoughts first. Trust me, Joohyuk, I want this cleared up as badly as you do."

His reply was a little more than a grunt, but whether it was comment on the weight of her suitcase or her tactics in dealing with Woohyun, she didn't know.

"And furthermore," she said, making a sweeping motion with her arm, "we've got to stop doubting each other. Nobody's following anyone and neither of us is in any danger of falling in love just because we were foolish enough to kiss."

"Fine," Joohyuk murmured. He set her suitcase down as a cab arrived and the driver jumped out.

"How is it that we always seem to agree and yet we constantly find ourselves at odds?" she asked.

"I wish I knew," he said, looking weary in body and spirit. The cabdriver opened the trunk, storing her suitcases neatly inside. Joohyuk threw his garment bag on top.

"We might as well still share this taxi," he said, holding the door for her.

"But isn't the Financial district in the other way?"

"I do need to talk to your grandfather. There's some estimates I need to give him."

"But can't it wait until tomorrow? Honestly, Joohyuk, you're exhausted. One day isn't going to make any difference. And like I said. Halabeoji might not even be at the house."

Joohyuk rubbed his eyes, then glanced irritable in her direction. "Honestly, Suzy," he mocked, "you sound like a wife."

Biting her tongue to keep back her angry retort, Suzy crossed her arms and glared out the side window. Indignation seeped through her with every breath she drew. Of its own accord, her foot started an impatient tapping. She could hardly wait to part company with this rude, unreasonable man.

Apparently Joohyuk didn't know when to quit, because he added, "Now you even act like one."

She slowly turned to him and in a saccharine voice inquired, "And what's that supposed to mean?"

"Look at you, for heaven's sake. First you start nagging me and then-"

"Nagging you!" she exploded. "Let's get one thing straight, Joohyuk Nam. I do not nag."

Joohyuk rolled his eyes, then turned his head to look out the window on his side.

"Sir, sir," Suzy said, sliding forward in the seat. She politely tapped the driver on the shoulder.

The middle-aged man glanced at her. "What is it, ma'am?"

"Sir," she said, offering him her warmest, most sincere smile. "Tell me, do I look like the kind of woman who'd nag?"

"Ah... Look, ma'am, all I do is drive cab. You can ask me where a street is and I can tell you. If you want to do to uptown, I can take you uptown. But when it comes to answering personal-type questions, I prefer to mind my own business."

"Are you satisfied?" Joohyuk asked in a low voice.

"No, I'm not." She crossed her arms again and stared straight ahead.

The cabdriver's eyes met hers in the rearview mirror, and Suzy tried to smile, but when she caught a glimpse of herself, she realized her effort looked more like a grimace.

"Me and the missus been married for nearly twenty years now," the drive said suddenly, stopping at a red light just off the Twins Street exit. "Me and the missus managed to stay married through the good times and the bad ones. Can't say that about a lot of folks."

"I don't supposed your wife is the type who nags, though, is she?" Joohyuk made the question sound more like a statement, sending Suzy a look that rankled.

"Amy does her fair share. If you ask me, nagging's just part of a woman's nature."

"That's absurd," Suzy countered stiffly. She should've known better than to draw a complete stranger into the discussion, especially another male who was sure to take Joohyuk's side.

"I'll tell you the real reason me and the missus stayed together all these years," the cabbie continued in a confiding tone. "We never go to bed mad. I know I look like an easygoing guy, but I've got a temper on me. Over the years, me and Amy have had our share of fights, but we always kiss and make up.

Suzy smiled and nodded, sorry she'd ever gotten involved in this conversation.

"Go on," the cabbie urged.

Suzy's puzzled gaze briefly met Joohyuk's.

"Go on and do what?" Joohyuk wanted to know.

"Kiss and make up." The cabbie turned for a moment to smile at them and wink at Suzy. "If my wife was as pretty as yours, mister, I wouldn't be hesitating."

Suzy nearly swallowed her tongue. "We are not married."

"And have no intention whatsoever of marrying," Joohyuk added quickly.

The driver chuckled. "That's what they all say. The harder they deny, the more in love they are."

He turned off Broadway and a few minutes later pulled into the circular driveway that led to Suzy's house. As the talkative cabbie leapt from the car and dash for the trunk, Suzy opened her door and climbed out.

Apparently, Joohyuk had no intention of taking her advice, because he, too, got out of the cab. It was while they were tussling with the luggage that the front door opened and Mrs. Matthews hurried outside.

"Suzy," she cried, her blue eyes lighting up with surprise. "What are you doing back so soon? We weren't expecting you for another two days."

"I missed your cooking so much, I couldn't bare to stay away any longer," Suzy said, throwing her arms around the older woman in a warm hug. "Has Halabeoji been giving you any trouble?"

"Not a bit."

Joohyuk paid the driver, who got back in his cab, but not before he'd wink at Suzy again. "Remember what I told you," he yelled, speeding off.

"How much was the fare?" Suzy asked, automatically opening her purse.

"I took care of it," Joohyuk said, reaching for his garment bag and the heavier of Suzy's two suitcases. He said it as though he expected an argument from her, but if that was the case, Suzy didn't plan to give him onw.

"Is Halabeoji home?" Suzy curved her arm affectionately around the housekeeper's waist as she spoke.

"He went out early this morning, but he should be back soon."

"Good," Joohyuk mumbled, following them into the house.

"I imagine you're both starved." Mrs. Matthews said, heading toward the kitchen. "Let me whip up something for you that'll make you both glad you're home."

Left alone with Joohyuk, Suzy wasn't sure what to say to him. They'd spent almost twenty-four hours in each other's company. They'd argued. They'd talked. They'd laughed. They'd kissed.

"Suzy-"

"Joohyuk-"

They spoke simultaneously, then exchanged nervous smiles.

"You first," Joohyuk said, gesturing toward her.

"I... I just wanted to say thanks for everything. I'll be in touch," she said. "By phone," she assured him. "So you don't need to worry about me dropping by the office unannounced."

He grinned sheepishly. "Remember, communication is the key."

"I agree one hundred percent."

They stood facing each other in the foyer. "You wanted to say something?" she prompted after a moment.

"Yes." Joohyuk exhaled sharply, then drew a hand along the side of his jaw. "What that cabbie said is true—even for us. I don't want us to part with any bad feelings. I shouldn't have said what I did back there, about nagging. You don't nag. and I had no right to say you did."

"I overreacted." The last thing she'd expected from Joohyuk was an apology. His eyes, dark and tender, held hers, and without even realizing what she was doing, Suzy took a step forward. Joohyuk met her and she was about to slip into his arms when the sound of the front door opening drove them apart.

"Suzy," Woohyun cried, delighted. "Joohyuk. My, my, this is a pleasant surprise." He chuckled softly as he removed his coat. "Tell me, was your tryst on the moors as romantic as I hoped?"