☆*: .。. o(≧ 2 ≦)o .。.:*☆

But First, Marriage

For a stunned moment, Suzy said nothing. "You're teasing, aren't you, Halabeoji?"

"No," he said, lighting a second cigar. He paused to stare at the glowing tip, his eyes filled with mischief—and with something else, less easily defined. "I'm serious."

"But . . ." Suzy's thoughts were so jumbled she couldn't make sense of them herself, let alone convey her feelings to grandfather.

"I've been giving the matter serious consideration for some time now. Joohyuk's perfect for you and you're the ideal complement to him. You're doing to have beautiful babies."

"But . . ." Suzy discovered she was absolutely speechless. One minute she was listening to a touching story, and the next her grandfather was telling her about the husband he's arranged for her—and even the appearance of her children.

"Once you think about it," Halabeoji said confidently, "I'm sure you'll agree with me. Joohyuk is a fine young man, and he'll make you an excellent husband."

"You . . . Joohyuk talked . . . agreed?" The words stumbled over the end of her tongue.

"Do you mean have I suggested this arrangement to Joohyuk?" Halabeoji asked. "Heavens, no. At least not yet." He chuckled as if he found the thought amusing. "Joohyuk wouldn't appreciate my blatant interference in his personal affairs. With him, I'll need to be far more subtle. To be honest, I considered making this marriage part of my handing over the chairmanship, but after thinking it through, I changed my mind. Joohyuk would never have agreed. There are other ways, I decided, better ways. But I don't want you to worry about it. That's between Joohyuk and me."

"I . . . see." At this point, Suzy wasn't what she saw, other than one determined old man caught between two worlds. In certain respects, the old ways continued to dominate his thinking, but his success in America allowed him to appreciate more modern outlooks.

Halabeoji inhaled deeply on his cigar, his brown eyes twinkling. "Now, I realize you probably find the idea of an arranged marriage slightly unusual, but you'll get used to it. I've made a fine choice for you, and I know you're smart enough to recognize that."

"Halabeoji, I don't think you fully understand what you're suggesting," she said, trying to gather her scattered wits, hoping she could explain the ridiculousness of this whole scheme without offending him.

"But I do, my dear."

"In this country and age," she continued slowly, "men and women choose their own mates. We fall in love and then marry."

Halabeoji frowned. "Sadly, that doesn't work," he muttered.

"What do you mean, it doesn't work?" she cried, losing her patience. "It's been like this for years and years!"

"Look at the divorce rate. I read in the paper recently that almost fifty percent of all marriages in this country fail. In the old country, there was no divorce. Parents decided whom a son or daughter would marry, and their decision was accepted without question. First comes marriage, and then comes love."

"Halabeoji," Suzy said softly, wanting to reason this out with him. Her grandfather was a logical man; surely, if she explained it properly, he'd understand. "Things are done differently now. First comes, love, then comes marriage."

"What do you young people know about love?"

"A good deal, as it happens," she returned, lying smoothly. Her first venture into love had ended with a broken heart and a shattered ego, but she told Halabeoji little if anything about Jinguk.

"Pfft!" he spat. "What could you possibly know of love?"

"I realize," she said, thinking fast, "that your father arranged your marriage to Halemoni, but that was years ago, and in America such customs don't exist. You and I live here now, in the land of the free. The land of opportunity."

Halabeoji looked down into his drink for a long moment, lost in thought. Suzy doubted he'd even heard her.

"I'll never forget the first time I saw my Nayeon," he said in a faraway voice. "She was sixteen and her hair was long and dark and fell in braids to her waist. My father spoke to her father and while they were talking, Nayeon and I sat at opposite ends of the room, too shy to look at each other. I wondered if she thought I was handsome. To me, she was the most beautiful girl in the world. Even now, after all these years, I can remember how my heart beat with excitement when I saw her. I knew—"

"But, Halabeoji, that was nearly sixty years ago! Marriages aren't decided by families anymore. A man and a woman discover each other without a father introducing them. Maybe the old ways were better back then, but it's simply not like that now." Halabeoji continued to stare into his glass, lost in a world long since enveloped by the passage of time.

"The next day, Nayeon's parents visited our land and gain our two fathers spoke. I tried to pretend I wasn't concerned, determined to accept whatever our families decided. But when I saw our fathers shake hands and slap each other on the back, I knew Nayeon would soon be mine."

"You loved her before you were married, didn't you?" Suzy asked softly, hoping to prove her point.

"No," he returned flatly, without hesitation. "How could I love her when I'd only seen her twice before the wedding? We hadn't said more than a handful of words to each other. Love wasn't necessary for us to find happiness. Love came later, after we arrived in America."

"Wasn't it unusual for a marriage to be arranged even then? It wasn't that long ago." There had to be some point for her to contend, Suzy mused.

"Perhaps it was unusual in other parts of the world, but not in Boseong-gun. We were a small farming community. Our world had been ravaged by war and hate. We clung to each other, holding on to our own traditions and rituals. Soon our lives became impossible and we were forced to flee our homes."

"As I said before, I can understand how an arranged marriage—back then—might be the best for everyone involved. But I can't see it working in this day and age. I'm sorry to disappoint you, Halabeoji, but I'm not willing to accept Joohyuk Nam as my husband, and I'm sure he'd be equally unwilling to marry me."

Briefly Halabeoji's face tensed with a rare display of disappointment and indignation, then quickly relaxed. Suzy had seldom questioned his authority and had never openly defied him.

"I suppose this is a shock to you, isn't it?" he said.

If it astonished her, she couldn't wait to hear what Joohyuk Nam thought! They'd only met once, but he hadn't disguised his opinion of her. He wouldn't take kindly to Halabeoji's plan of an arranged marriage—especially to a woman he viewed as spoiled and overindulged.

"All I'm asking is that you consider this, Suzy," Halabeoji said. "Promise me you'll at least do that. Don't reject marriage to Joohyuk simply because you think it's old-fashioned."

"Oh, Halabeoji . . ." Suzy hated to refused him anything. "It isn't just me. What about Joohyuk? What about his plans? What if he—"

Halabeoji dismissed her questions with an abrupt shrug. "How often do I ask something of you?" he persisted.

Now he was going to use guilt. "Not often," she agreed, frowning at him for using unfair tactics.

"Then consider Joohyuk for your husband!" His eyes brightened. "The two of you will have such beautiful children. A grandfather knows these things."

"I promise I'll think about it." But it wouldn't do any good! However, discretion was a virtue Suzy was nurturing, and there'd never been a better time to employ it than now.

☆*: .。. o(≧_≦)o .。.:*☆

Halabeoji didn't mention Joohyuk Nam or even hint at the subject of her marrying his business partner again until the following evening. They'd just sat down to dinner, prepared to sample Mrs. Matthews's delicious cuisine, when Halabeoji looked anxiously at Suzy. "So?" he asked breathlessly.

From the moment he'd walked into the house that afternoon, Halabeoji's mood had been light and humorous. Smiling, he handed her the platter of thinly sliced marinated and grilled flank steak. It happened to be one of Suzy's favorite meals. "So?" he repeated, smiling at her. "What did you decide?"

Suzy helped herself to a crisp dinner roll, buttering it slowly as her thoughts chased each other in frantic. "Nothing."

His smile faded into a frown. "You promised me you'd considered marrying Joohyuk. I gave you more time than Nayeon's father gave her."

"You have to know now?"

"Yes, now!"

"But... Halabeoji, a simple yes or no isn't an appropriate response to something as complex as this. You're asking me to decide on a lifelong commitment in less than twenty-four hours." She was staling for time, and Halabeoji had probably guessed as much. Honestly, she didn't know what to tell him. She couldn't, wouldn't, marry Joohyuk—even if he was willing to marry her—but she hated disappointing her grandfather.

"What's so difficult? Either you marry him or not!"

"I don't understand why you've decided to match me up with Joohyuk Nam," she cried. "What's wrong with Edwin?" She'd been dating Edwin casually for the last few months. Her heart was too bruised after what had happened with Eric for her to date anyone seriously.

"You're in love with that whitewashed weakling?"

Suzy signed loudly, regretting the fact she'd introduced Edwin into their conversation. "He's very nice."

"So is chocolate mousse!" Halabeoji muttered. "Edwin Goldberg would make you a terrible husband. I'm shocked you'd even think about marrying him."

"I hadn't actually thought about him in those terms," she said. Edwin was witty and fun, but Halabeoji was right; they weren't suited as husband and wife.

"I thank the good Lord you've been given some sense."

Suzy took a deep breath and finally asked a question that had been nagging at her all afternoon. "Did—did you arrange my father's marriage?"

Halabeoji lowered his eyes, but not before he could disguise the pain there. "No. He fell in love with  Stephanie while he was in college. I knew the match wasn't a good one, but Nayeon reminded me that this was America and young people fell in love by themselves. She convinced me they didn't need a father's guiding hand the way we did in Korea."

"Do you think he would've listened if you'd wanted to arrange a marriage?"

Her grandfather hesitated, and his hand tightened on his water glass. "I don't know, but I'd like to believe he would have."

"Instead he married my mother."

Neither spoke for a long time, Suzy remembered little of her parents, only bits and pieces of memory, mostly unconnected. What she did recall were terrible fights and accusations, a house filled with stifle. She could remember hiding under her bed when the shouting started, pressing her hands to her ears. It was her father who used to find her, who comforted her. Always her father. Her memory included almost nothing of her mother. Even pictures didn't jar her recollection, although Suzy had spent hour upon hour looking at pictures, hoping to remember something. But the woman who'd given birth to her had remained a stranger to her in life and in death.

"You're the only consolation I have from Steven's marriage," Woohyun said hoarsely. "At least I had you after Steven and Stephanie died."

"Oh, Halabeoji. I love you so much and I hate to disappoint you, but I can't marry Joohyuk and I can't see him agreeing to marry me."

Her grandfather was silent after that, apparently mulling over her words as he finished his dinner. "I suppose I seem like a feeble old man, still trying to live the old ways."

"Halabeoji, no, I don't think that at all."

He planted his elbows squarely on the table and linked his fingers, gazing at her. His brow was puckered in a contemplative frown. "Perhaps it would help if you told me what you want in a husband."

She hesitated, then glanced away, avoiding eye contact. Once she'd been so certain of what she wanted. "To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure. Romance, I suppose."

"Romance." Halabeoji rolled the word off his tongue as though he was tasting an expensive wine.

"Yes," she said with a nod, gaining confidence.

"And what exactly is romance?"

"Well..." Now that she'd been called upon to define it, Suzy couldn't quite put that magical feeling into words. "It's... it's an awareness that comes from the heart."

"The heart," her grandfather repeated, smacking his palm against his chest.

"Romance is the knowledge that a man would rather die than love his life without me," she said, warming to the subject.

"You want him to die?"

"No, just to be willing."

Halabeoji frowned. "I don't think I understand."

"Romance is forbidden trysts on lonely Scottish moors," she added, thinking of an historical romance she'd read as a teenager.

"There aren't any moors in the New York area."

"Don't distract me," she said, smiling, her thoughts gaining momentum. "Romance is desperate passion."

He snorted. "That sounds more like hormones to me."

"Halabeoji, please!"

"How can I understand when all you say is ridiculous things? You want romance. First you claim it's a feeling in the heart, then you say it's some kind of passion."

"It's more than that. It's walking hand in hand along the beach at twilight and gazing into each other eyes. It's speaking of love without ever having to say the words." She paused, feeling a little foolish at getting so carried away. "I don't know if I can adequately describe it."

"That's because you haven't experience it."

"Maybe not," she agreed reluctantly. "But I will someday."

"With Joohyuk," he said with complete assurance and a wide grin.

Suzy didn't bother to argue. Halabeoji was being obstinate and arguing with him was pointless. The only recourse she had was time itself. Soon enough he'd realize that neither she nor Joohyuk was going to fall in with his scheme. Then, and only then, would he drop the subject.

☆*: .。. o(≧_≦)o .。.:*☆

A week passed and Halabeoji hadn't said another word about arranging a marriage between her and Joohyuk Nam. It was a cold windy March evening and the rain was coming down in torrents. Suzy loved nights like this and was curled up in her favorite chair with a mystery novel when the doorbell chimed. Halabeoji had gone out for the evening and she wasn't expecting anyone.

She the porch light and looked out the peephole to find Joohyuk standing there, a briefcase in his hand. His shoulders were hunched against the falling rain.

"Joohyuk," she said in surprise, throwing open the door.

"Hello, Suzy," he said politely, stepping inside. "Is your grandfather here?"

"No." She held the book against her chest, her heart pounding hard. "He went out."

Joohyuk frowned, clearly confused. "He asked me to stop by. There were some business matters he wanted to discuss. Did he say when he'd be home?"

"No, but I'm sure if he asked you over, it'll be soon. Would you care to wait for him?"

"Please."

She took his raincoat, then led him into the library where she'd been reading. A fire was burning, and its warmth hugged the room. The three-story house, situated in the outer area of New York that overlooks the waterline, was a typical turn-of-the-century home with high ceilings and spacious rooms. The third floor had once housed several servants. Chan was their only live-in help now, and his quarters had always been an apartment over the carriage house. He worked exclusively for Halabeoji, driving the limousine. Mrs. Matthews arrived early in the mornings and was responsible for housekeeping and meal preparation.

"Can I get you something to drink?" she asked, once he was comfortably seated.

"Coffee, if you have it."

"I made a fresh pot about twenty minutes ago."

Suzy brought him a cup from the kitchen, then sat across from Joohyuk, wondering what, if anything, she should say about Halabeoji and his idea of an arrange marriage.

She doubted that Halabeoji had broached the subject yet. Otherwise he wouldn't be sitting there so calmly sipping coffee. He'd be outraged and infuriated, and studying him now, she concluded that he wasn't even slightly ruffled. It was on the tip of her tongue to warn him about what was coming, but she decided against it. Better that he learn the same way she had.

Intertwining her fingers together, she smiled, feeling awkward and a little gauche. "It's nice to see you again."

"You, too. I'll admit I'm a bit disappointed, though."

"You are?"

"On the drive over, I was trying to guess what you'd be wearing this time. A dress made from bread sacks? A blouse constructed out of men's socks?"

She muttered under her breath, annoyed by his teasing. He had the uncanny ability to make her feel fifteen all over again. So much for any possibility they they'd ever be compatible. And Halabeoji seemed to think he knew them both so well.

"I'll admit that an knitted sweater and jeans are a pleasant surprise," he said.

A flicker of admiration sparked in his dark eyes, something that had been missing the first time they met

A flicker of admiration sparked in his dark eyes, something that had been missing the first time they met.

In that instant, Suzy knew.

She went stock-still, almost dizzy with the realization. Not only had Halabeoji approached Joohyuk, but they'd apparently reached some sort of agreement. Otherwise Joohyuk would never have been this friendly, this openly appreciative. Nor would he arrive unannounced when Halabeoji had specifically stated that he'd be gone for the evening.

They were obviously plotting against her. Well, she had no intention of putting up with it. None. If Joohyuk and Halabeoji thought they could lure her into marriage, they had a real shock coming.

Squaring her shoulders, she slid into the edge of her chair. "So you gave in to the pressure," she said, shooting him a scalding look. Unable to stay seated, she jumped to her feet and started pacing, rubbing her palms together as she cornered her thoughts. "Halabeoji got to you, didn't he?"

"I beg your pardon?" Joohyuk stared up at her, his eyes curious.

"And you agreed?" She threw her hands and groaned, "I don't believe it, I simply don't believe it. I thought better of you than this."

"What don't you believe?"

"Of all the men I've met over the years, I would've sworn you were the type who'd refuse to be brought. I'm disappointed in you, Joohyuk."

He remained calm and unperturbed, which infuriated her more than anything he could have said or done.

"I haven't got the slightest idea what you're talking about," was all he said.

"Oh, sure, play innocent," she snapped. She was so incensed that she continued to pace. Standing still was impossible.

In response, Joohyuk merely glanced at his watch and drank his coffee. "Does your grandfather know you suffer from these bouts of hysteria?"

"Funny, Joohyuk, very funny."

He exhaled an exaggerated sigh. "All right, I'll take the bait. What makes you think I've been bought? And what exactly am I getting in exchange?"

"Technically you're not getting anything, and I want that understood this very minute, because refuse to be sold." Arms akimbo, she turned to glare down at him with the full force of her disdain. "What did he offer you? The entire company? Lots of money?"

Joohyuk shrugged. "He's offered me nothing."

"Nothing," she repeated slowly, feeling unreasonably insulted. "He was just going to give me away." That was enough to deflate the billowing sails of her pride. Stunned, she sat down again. "I thought the bride's family was supposed to supply some kind of dowry. Halabeoji didn't even offer you money?"

"Dowry?" Joohyuk repeated the word as if he'd never heard it before.

"Halabeoji's family received a cow and ten chickens from my grandmother's family," she said, as if that explained everything. "But apparently I'm not worth a single hen."

Joohyuk set his coffee aside and sat straight in his chair. "I think we'd better begin this conversation again. I'm afraid I lose you back there when you said something about cracking under pressure. Perhaps you should enlighten me about what I'm supposed to have done."

Suzy just glared at him.

"Humor me."

"All right, if you insist. It's obvious that Halabeoji talked to you about marriage."

"Marriage," he echoed in a shocked voice. His face went blank. "To whom?"

"Me, of course."

Joohyuk flung himself out of the chair, bolting to his feet. "To you?"

"Don't look so horrified! My ego's taken about all it can for one evening. I'm not exactly the Wicked Witch of the West, you know. Some men would be more than happy to marry me." Not Eric, and certainly not Edwin, but she felt it was important that Joohyuk think she was sought after. 

"Marriage between us is... would be impossible. It's completely out of the question. I don't ever plan to marry—I have no use for a wife or family."

"Tell that to Halabeoji."

"I have every intention of doing so." His face tightened and Suzy guessed her grandfather was due for an earful when he got home. "What makes that crazy old man think he can order people's lives like this?" she asked angrily.

"His own marriage was arranged for him. Trust me, Joohyuk, I argued until I was exhausted, but Halabeoji hasn't given up his old-country beliefs and he thinks the two of us—now this is really ridiculous—are perfect for each other."

"If you weren't serious, I'd find this highly amusing."

Suzy noticed that he seemed rather pale. "I appear to have jumped to the wrong conclusion earlier. I apologize for that but, well, I thought... I assumed Halabeoji had spoken to you already and you'd agreed."

"Was that when you started mumbling about a cow and a few chickens?" She nodded and her bangs fell over her eyes. Absently she pushed them aside. "For a moment there, I thought Halabeoji was offering  me to you gratis. I know it's silly, but I felt insulted by that."

For the first time since they'd entered into this conversation, Joohyuk's face softened and he granted her a faint smile. "Your grandfather loves you, no question."

"I know." Feeling self-conscious, she threaded her fingers through her hair. "I've used every argument I could come up with. I explained the importance of romance and told him how vital it is for men and women to fall in love with the person of their choice. However, he refused to accept any of it."

"He wouldn't listen to you?"

"He listened," she replied, feeling defeated, "but he disputed everything I said. Halabeoji says the modern version of love and marriage is a complete failure. With the divorce rate what it is, I'm afraid I don't have much of an argument."

"That's true enough," Joohyuk said, looking frustrated.

"I told him men and women fall in love and then decide to get married, but Halabeoji insists it's better if marriage comes first."

Joohyuk rubbed a hand over his face. "Now that I think about it, your grandfather's been introducing you into every conversation, telling me how wonderful you are."

Suzy gasped softly. "He's done the same to me about you. He started weeks before we even met."

Pressing his lips together, Joohyuk nodded. "A lot of things are beginning to make sense."

"What should we do?" Suzy wonder aloud. "It's perfectly obvious that we'll have to agree on a plan of action. I hate to disappoint Halabeoji, but I'm not willing to be married off like like..." Words failed her.

"Especially to me."

Although his low words were devoid of emotion, Suzy recognized the pain behind his statement. Knowing what she did about his past, the fact that he'd experienced only brief patches of love in his life and little or no approval tugged at her heart.

"I didn't mean it to sound like that," she insisted. "My grandfather wouldn't have chosen you if he didn't think you were pretty special. He prides himself on his ability to judge character, and he'd always been impressed with you."

"Let's not kid ourselves, Suzy," Joohyuk returned, his voice hardening. "You're an uptown girl. We're totally unsuited."

"I agree with you there, but not for the reasons you assume. From the minute I stepped into your office, you made it clear that you thought of me as some kind of snob. I'm not, but I refuse to waste my breath arguing with you."

"Fine."

"Instead of hurling insults at each other," she suggested, crossing her arms in a show of indignation, "why don't we come up with a plan to deal with Halabeoji's preposterous idea?"

"That isn't necessary," he countered. "I want no part of it."

"And you think I do?"

Joohyuk said nothing.

Suzy expelled her breath loudly. "It seems to be the solution is for one of us to marry someone else. That would quickly put an end to this whole thing."

"I already told you I have no intention of marrying," he said emphatically. "You're the one who insinuated you had plenty of men hanging around just waiting for you to say 'I do.'"

"None that I'd consider marrying, for heaven's sake," she grumbled. "Besides, I'm not currently in love with anyone."

Joohyuk laughed, if the sound that came from his throat could be called a laugh. "Then find a man who's current. If you fall in and out of love that easily, surely there's got to be at least one prospect on the horizon."

"There isn't. You're going to have to come up with someone! Why don't you go out there and sweep some sweet young girl off her feet," she muttered sarcastically.

"I'm not willing to sacrifice my life so you can get off scot-free." His words were low and furious.

"But it's perfectly all right for me to sabotage mine? That makes a lot of sense."

"Okay," he said after a tense moment. He paused, shaking his head. "That's idea's obviously not going to work. I guess we'll have to come up with something better."

"Okay, then." Suzy gestured toward him. "It's your turn."

He glared at her, seeming to dislike her even more. In all honestly, Suzy wasn't too pleased with the way she was behaving, either. She'd been sarcastic and needlessly rude, but then, Joohyuk had driven her to it. He could be the most unpleasant man.

Still, Suzy was about to say something conciliatory when the sound of the front door opening distracted her. Her gaze flew to Joohyuk and he nodded, reassuring her that he'd handle the situation.

They'd returned to their chairs and were seated by the time Halabeoji appeared in the library doorway.

"Joohyuk, I'm sorry for the delay. I'm glad to see Suzy entertained you." Her grandfather smiled brightly as if to tell her he approved and hoped she'd taken advantage of this hour alone with Joohyuk.

"We did manage to have a stimulating conversation," Joohyuk said, his eyes briefly meeting Suzy's.

"Good. Good."

Joohyuk stood and reached for his briefcase. "There were some figures you wanted to go over with me?"

"Yes." Looking satisfied with himself, Halabeoji led the way out of the room. Joohyuk followed him, with a glance back at Suzy that said he'd get in touch with her later.

Later turned out to be almost a week. She was puttering around outside, t back the rosebushes and deciding where to plant the geraniums this year, when Mrs. Matthews came to tell her she was wanted on the phone.

"Hello," Suzy said cheerfully.

"We need to talk," Joohyuk said without preamble.

"Why?" she demanded. If he was going to keep her hanging for six anxious days, then she wasn't going to give the impression that she was thrilled to hear from him.

"Your grandfather laid his cards on the table this afternoon. I thought you might be interested in hearing what he's offering me to take you off his hands."