Little Secret

STARDUST
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1] Little Secret:  [/CONTENTID1]

 

[CONTENTID2]

Boredom at its peak. That's the way to describe how Yuri felt these days. She felt so uninspired. Everything in her life uninterested her. She had a roller coaster of emotional days and it started a week ago…

Yuri slowly crept out of the room into the living room. The dim light behind the curtains indicated the morning had just begun. And it explained the lack of activity in the house because everyone was still sleeping. It's the perfect time to sneak out without explanation or make excuses about where she wanna go.

Just a little more, and she'll reach the front door... Yuri slid in the key and heard a click coming from the door knob, as if giving her the freedom she had been waiting for when a deep voice startled her.

"Where are you going?" Mr. Kwon was sitting in the dark living room, sipping his favorite black coffee.

Crap. Yuri forgot that her father had this kind of creepy habit of getting up early just to drink a cup of sugarless coffee and smoke a cigarette before going back to sleep. 

"Um… there's something I need to do," Yuri squirmed under her father's intense stare.

"This early?" Mr. Kwon raised his eyebrow. "What are you holding?"

"Nothing," Yuri tried to hide the paper on her hand.

"Are you going to see the publisher again? Seriously Yul, are you this desperate?" Mr. Kwon asked in a displeasing voice.

"Dad…"

"Yul aren't you tired? Why don't you just give in to your stupid fantasy."

"This isn't some stupid fantasy. This is my dream." Yuri had never cut her father's word, she nearly never argued with her father. But this time she felt upset. It's insulting.

"A dream that will never come true. My daughter, don't you ever think that probably this is just not your destination. You don't need to try so hard to get a career. Now that you are married, just focus on being a good housewife." Mr. Kwon said, but Yuri didn't respond. She knew whatever came out from would cause her trouble.

"Why don't you and Siwon think about having kids soon?" Mr. Kwon pressed on.

"I will never give up on my dream. This is the best thing that makes me truly happy. This is my passion," Yuri said while holding back her tears.

"You'll only get hurt because of your high expectations." 

"I'm ready to get hurt."

Mr. Kwon sighed as the last puff of smoke from his extinguished cigarette faded in the air. "I don't want to argue with you. Now go back to the kitchen and make me breakfast."

"Dad, please..." Yuri pleaded.

"You heard what I just said," Mr. Kwon said with a sense of finality before stretching and slowly walking to his room, leaving Yuri rooted in her place, feeling devastated.

Yuri stood transfixed in her place, she was in cross road but right now her head isn't really thinking clearly. Hurt from what her dad said, or perhaps from what people around her always telling her, drove more passion inside her already burning heart.

Taking a deep breath, she knowing whatever she did next would cause trouble as reached the knot of the door and jolted out of the house.

Upon hearing the noise, Mr. Kwon walked back to the living room. 

"Yuri, come back!" roared Mr. Kwon but Yuri had run away from the house.

 

Mr. Kwon was not someone you could mess with. Once he is angry, he'll make sure you regret it. And he was really angry when Yuri came back that day. He didn't need to scold Yuri, he just needed to give her cold treatment and Yuri already cowered in the corner.

And a week after that, Mr. Kwon still won't talk to Yuri. He punished Yuri by forbidding her to leave the house for a week and even confiscated Yuri's pc, the only device Yuri used to write.

Yuri felt miserable, she couldn't write down her ideas like she always did. And on top of it, she and Yoona hadn't talked to each other for days. It may be curious why the latter also matters, in fact it bothered her the most.

She kept glancing at her phone, and out of her insanity she started to wonder if Yoona was chatting continuously, would she feel this miserable? Did she expect too much from the younger girl?

After all, Yoona said she will text her from Twitter, yet the girl hasn't sent a text.

Checking Yoona's twitter account has been her daily routine now, and the fact that Yoona was active on Twitter, but doesn't text her, annoyed her more than she wants to admit. 

She considered whether she should text Yoona first, in case Yoona forgot her promise to text her first.

The thought that Yoona had forgotten about her hurts, even though she had no reason to feel that way. Yes they never met in person, and they barely knew each other, but for Yuri, Yoona had become more than just acquaintances to her. But is her feeling reciprocated?

The sound of the bell from the front door ended her thoughts. Siwon had just left for work and her parents were attending worship at church, so with heavy shuffling steps, she strided over to the front door to see who was coming. 

 

"Yo! Kwon Yuri, What about that sad face?" A petite girl with blonde hair was standing at the door. She is wearing a grey sweater and black jeans, with sunglasses tucked in her t-shirt.

"Taeyeon ah, you are back," Yuri squealed in delight as she lunged forward and hugged her best friend.

“Yah Yuri! You are strangling her,” Sooyoung appeared next to Taeyeon with a smug smile. 

Yuri released her embrace before slapping Taeyeon's arm

"Yah Kim Taeyeon! How come you never visited us in two years?"

"You know I can't do it. The distance makes it difficult for me to travel and visit," Taeyeon rubbed her arms defensively. Her body swings a little as she speaks, indicating that she still feels jet lagged.

"How come you didn't grow an inch over two years?" Yuri mocked as she stared at Taeyeon from head to toe.

Sooyoung joined the laughs. Together they could be a pair of devils sometimes but Taeyeon is used to it.

"I will take it as I love you," Taeyeon said instead.

"Come on," Yuri said as she pulled Taeyeon's hand towards where Sooyoung's car was parking instead of her house.

"Where are we going? I came here to visit you," Taeyeon shouted, barely keeping her pace.

"You'll find out soon enough," answered Yuri shortly as she instructed Sooyoung to get in the car as well.

 

 

"Yul, I don't think this is a good idea," Taeyeon said to Yuri who was sitting next to her in the passenger seat. Sooyoung was driving in front of them.

"Why not? She hasn't seen you in a long time. She'll be delighted," Yuri cheered, a rush of excitement filled her all of sudden. 

"I don't think she will be," Taeyeon hesitated.

"Oh Tae, cheers up! It's been two years, she must get over it already," Sooyoung encouraged, her eyes fixed on the road. They were driving toward Tiffany's office.

Taeyeon sighed, as she looked out of the windows, watching the cars passing by. Worried consumed her but despite the reluctance, she couldn't hide the excitement of seeing the one she missed the most. "Fine, let's try."

 

 

Tiffany got her interior design license last year, and now started her glimmering career by purchasing an office studio on the 10th floor of a large office building in the center of Jinhae.

"Good morning Sunny," Yuri approached a short haired girl dressed in a pleated skirt once they walked into Tiffany's studio room. Sooyoung and Yuri had been here so often they had gotten used to the sophistication of the studio.

The walls was painted in bright white, while every furnishings are all in pastel colours, with sage-green sofas teamed with pink and beige cushions, and matching tables and chairs in the room. The boldness of the studio spoke Tiffany's personality, yet also showed her professionalism.

"Good morning Yuri." Sunny looked up from the papers on her desk and showed her half moon smile. She was Tiffany's personal assistant.

"Is Fany here?" Yuri asked, Sooyoung and Taeyeon followed behind her.

"Yes, she's in her room," answered Sunny, pointing at the door that leads to another room. "Do I need to notify her?"

"Oh no need," Yuri waved her hand off dismissively. "This was supposed to be a surprise anyway. Thank you Sunny," she said as she entered the room without even knocking.

The wall of Tiffany's room was made mostly of glasses, and the girl was leaning back into her office chair, her face turned toward the glass window, watching the cars that sped by on the highways as she made a call.

"Yes, the sample of furniture will be here today," she said to her phone when someone opened her door with a bang and walked in.

She sighed.

"I'll call you back later," she told the person on the other line before ending the call and wheeled her chair around to face her guests.

"Kwon Yuri! Choi Sooyoung! How many times have I told you to knock-" Tiffany's voice trailed off, her words dried away on her lips when she recognized another face entering the room. A face she hadn't seen for such a long time, a face she wished she could completely for

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter