The Pawn

The Other Side of The Moon 2

Someone knocked on the door. Moonbyul quickly put on her pyjamas and answered the door.

“Why are you here?”

 

“Oh well. I had some work and stopped by to ask if you are comfortable here,” Hanabi coyly replied. “Can I come in?”

 

“It’s lat-“

 

Hanabi slipped in the room and thanked Moonbyul. She looked around the room, then walked over the window to admire the view. “I chose the room with great view of the city. Do you like it?”

 

“Shouldn’t you be working?” Moonbyul asked.

 

Hanabi shook her head, “Who works till this hour? You sound like you want me to leave.” She pouted and moved closer. Clenching on Moonbyul’s shirt, she placed her forehead on Moonbyul’s chest. “I missed you. I thought I would never see you again.” She lifted her head and stare at Moonbyul with teary eyes. “I know where to find you but I was scared you would run away from me.”

 

Moonbyul did not utter a word. She looked at Hanabi grabbing onto her shirt. “Did you hear something?”

 

Hanabi let go of the shirt and rolled her eyes to stop the tears. “No.”

 

“I think someone is at the door.” Moonbyul turned around to get the door.

 

Hanabi pulled Moonbyul by her wrist and hugged her. “Do you hate me? Why are you treating me like this?”

 

“I don’t understand-“

 

“I have liked you since the day I saw you. I did everything you asked me to do. But you never gave me anything. After you left, I was dying to see you again. As much as I want to be with you, I even made a deal-“

 

There was this faint knocking sound again at the door. Hanabi angrily growled, “Out of all the time.”

 

“I will get it.” Moonbyul freed herself from Hanabi’s hug. Hanabi pushed Moonbyul aside and went to open the door. As soon as she did so, Solar fell towards her and fainted right on her arms. Hanabi stared at Moonbyul with disbelief. “What is this?”

 

Moonbyul quickly pick up Solar and move her to the bed. She gently put Solar down and requested Hanabi to leave. “I will meet you tomorrow at work.” Hanabi could not believe her eyes and ears. She scowled at Solar who was laying on the bed and hesitantly left the room.

 

Moonbyul tugged Solar in her embrace and steadily transfer her energy. She could feel Solar’s warm breath on her chest. She softly the brown hair and kissed Solar’s forehead.

 

The next day.

 

“Unnie, are you okay?” Whee-in asked Solar, who has been sitting beside her without a single word.

 

“Yes.”

 

Whee-in doubtly looked at her and turn to Moonbyul. Hye-jin nudged Whee-in to signal the tension developed within last ten minutes since they arrived at the studio. The younger members were used to the fights among the members but this time they could sense a storm coming.

 

Hanabi walked in with a smile and remind everyone their schedules. The members were to filmed at a mall for a promotion. The managers picked up their stuffs and were ready to go. Solar immediately stood up and followed their managers. She walked pass Moonbyul and Hanabi without even betting an eye.

 

Moonbyul quickly followed her and pulled her aside to talk. She got that Solar was angry and suspects that the reason would be Hanabi. And as expected, Solar questioned her why Hanabi was in her room late at night and what they were doing there.

 

Moonbyul explained everything, leaving out the part Hanabi confessed. Solar has not talked to her since the morning and the guilt would be heavier for breaking Solar’s heart again. The loneliness would storm towards her if Solar refuse to talk to her.

 

Solar kept glaring at Moonbyul and did not utter a word. Her jealousy for Hanabi was slowly turning to hatred, but she could not bring herself to be the reason for the end of someone’s good relationship, if it is, and an opportunity for their career.

 

“I don’t like her,” Solar sternly informed Moonbyul. “You can talk to her, hang out or whatever. As a friend.” She turned away not being able to maintain eye contact with Moonbyul. “But I can’t bear the way she looks at you. I want no one to come between us.”

 

Moonbyul Solar’s stiff shoulders and lower herself to match their eye level. “I am sorry….I am sorry for making you feel that way. She would never come between us. No one will.” She cupped Solar’s blushed face and lift it up, “Now, will you please look at me?”

 

“Can you hurry up? We will be late.” A staff member interfered.

 

“Yes, we are coming.” Moonbyul hold Solar’s hand and walked together to their van.

 

It was hard for Solar to watch Hanabi make her moves to Moonbyul. Though she could see Moonbyul trying her best to ignore Hanabi’s obvious signs and keep peace with everyone, Solar could not bring herself to accept Hanabi. It felt like ages working there.

 

Hanabi would always be around wherever there is work and Moonbyul was running out of excuses to escape from her. Hanabi was obsessive of Moonbyul, but Moonbyul could feel something was odd. It has never been this intense before. Hanabi would leave her alone most of the time and when she was in the mood, would only she mess around with Moonbyul. However, there was a leap of change in her behaviour. She kept her eyes on Moonbyul 24/7 and frequently make plans to be with Moonbyul alone.

 

The working days passed by fast for some and in slow pace for the agitated. Solar wanted to leave as soon as it ends. But Hanabi had a plan for their parting gift.

 

“It’s gonna be fun. We need a break too.” Hyejin tried to convince the older members.

 

“But we have more things to do back at home. And we can have a vacation once everything is over.” Solar replied.

 

It was indeed exhausting to work non-stop and their bodies were not able to keep up with their schedule. This trip to an island for three days was a perfect timing to take a short break and bring back their stamina. The prefect time and perfect place.

 

Whee-in spoke up,” It is only three days. And we don’t have to do anything. They have arranged everything. They are doing it for us. Why can’t we just enjoy for once? Unnie, can you please put down your guards? We know. I mean we get it that you don’t like Hanabi, but please this have nothing to do with her.”

 

Solar has no words to say and looked at Moonbyul. Moonbyul caressed her arm and assured her that it would be alright. “Come on. It will be just four of us. You need to relax your body.”

 

“I don’t know. I don’t like this….but FINE!”

 

The younger members excitedly jumped in for a group hug and their laughter filled the room. “Let’s go!”

 

>>>

 

The members board on the boat and the engine started to drift towards their destination. The sea was calm and the sky was blue. The breeze was blowing against their faces as they enjoy their ride. Solar stood by the border and watch the rippled water.

 

“Here.” Moonbyul passed a bottle of juice. “Are you still worried?”

 

“Everything is so calm and the day is going too perfect. It’s scary.”

 

A soft chuckled from Moonbyul and she opened the bottle cap, passing the bottle to Solar. She patted Solar’s head, messing her hair a bit. Solar pulled her head back and quicky tidy up her hair. “Don’t do that. I spent the entire morning for this.”

 

>>>

It was a small island with resorts; peaceful and beautiful. The members were guided to their rooms where they had to share. Moonbyul and Solar were in the same room while Whee-in and Hyejin were together. From their window, they could see the shore where people were strolling by and the sea extending till the horizon.

 

The members came out for a walk at the shore to witness the sunset. There was finally a smile on everyone’s face. The red sun has also set and the habitat part of the island were lit up. Whee-in proposed that they should grab a drink at the bar and so they entered the bar, occupying a table. The drinks were ordered and the members were having the best time after their hectic schedule.

 

“Hello ladies!” that familiar voice stung Solar.

 

Moonbyul lower her head, rubbing her temple. She should have at least got the hint that Hanabi would be there considering she was the one who planned the trip.

 

“Mind if I join?” Hanabi sat down between Hye-jin and Solar.

 

The atmosphere suddenly changed and everyone was silently sipping their drinks. Hanabi called the waiter and ordered more drinks for the members. Solar put down her glass and stood up. Using the washroom as an excuse, she quietly left the bar and headed for their room. There was no point to make a fuss and thought it would be wiser for her to just take a good sleep. If the night allows her to.

 

She flopped down on the bed and lay there staring at the ceiling. Her mind was blank yet those tears gathered and slowly rolled down her cheeks. She pulled the blanket over her head and shut her eyes tightly, clenching the tip of the blanket.

 

It was taking long for Solar to return and it made Moonbyul to worry. She told the others to continue while she goes and look for Solar. Hanabi grasped Moonbyul’s wrist wondering why she should worry for a grown woman who just went to empty her bladder. Besides, she was not even drunk to passed out.

Moonbyul pulled her hand away from Hanabi’s grip, “I need to check if she is okay.”

 

It was like her heart was ripped off multiple times. Hanabi clasped on her drink so tightly that the glass broke, spilling the drink and the glass pieces cutting her palm. Whee-in and Hye-jin gasped in complete shock. If expression could kill, Hanabi’s bitter face was it.

 

All of a sudden, there was an explosion outside and the wall of the bar came crushing down. People in the room panicked and started to rush out. Whee-in and Hye-jin too joined the crowd. Hye-jin saw Moonbyul standing there staring towards the destruction. She tried to drag Moonbyul out and her eyes fell on Hanabi who was still angrily sitting at her place.

 

Whee-in and Hye-jin were in shock. Everyone has escaped and they did not know what was happening. But Moonbyul could clearly see it as the day. The Rus staring right back at her.

 

“Why are you making me do this?” Hanabi started to weep. Moonbyul glared at Hanabi with her eyes wide open.

 

>>>

 

The knock on the door alerted Solar. She quickly wiped off her tears and stiffened herself. She did not want Moonbyul to think that she was acting like a child.

 

She opened the door and apologised, “I am sorry, I was-“.

 

Right there, a chill ran down her spine.

 

“How are you, my lady?” Lucifer smiled.