Chapter 5

The Blood Moon

The safe house, as it turns out, is an abandoned building on the outskirts of Seoul, at least on the outside, but inside is a fully furnished house, freshly cleaned, and stocked with food and blood. As soon as the van stops, Namjoon and Jin hop out to go check the area to make sure no one has messed with the house except for Special Forces before they give all clear to let ONEUS into the house.

“This .” Dongju flops down on the couch in the living room area, crossing his arms as Geonhak sighs, standing next to him, rubbing the back of his neck softly. The elder sees the imprint of his teeth in the back of Dongju’s neck and grimaces at the imprint, wondering how he’s managed to make such an impression, and worried that he’s not quite as human as his parents have claimed. Normal humans don’t make imprints with their teeth into other human’s flesh. Far as he knew, no one in his family had any supernatural lineage, but he doesn’t recall really seeing much of his extended family growing up.

“We’ll get through this.” Youngjo promises, coming in with some blood packets for Hwanwoong and Seoho, both on the other couch in the room, Hwanwoong laying in Seoho’s lap as the elder rubs through the younger’s hair. Both look worn out, and Geonhak’s heart flips at the sight.

Keonhee’s sitting in a chair across from them, a thoughtful look on his face as he stares at the coffee table, saying nothing for once, and the silence between all of them is a little unnerving.

“So, the plan for now is to have you all stay here tonight, we have a house we’re getting set up on the outskirts of town for you to lay low in for the Blood Moon, complete with extra blood and groceries for the Turning.” Namjoon comes in, startling Keonhee and the younger lets out a squeak before slapping a hand over his mouth, eyes wide.

Dongju giggles softly at Keonhee’s surprise before straightening up, looking up at Namjoon. The rest of them also stare at the BTS leader with solemn eyes. Youngjo clears his throat. “Thank you for taking care of us during this.”

“We didn’t expect you to be targeted like this.” Namjoon admits, “Though there was a possibility, since Hwanwoong was the most recent assault victim. My best guess is, whomever the perp is, was told not to leave any victims alive and is trying to rectify the situation.”

“So, I’m a really big target right now.” Hwanwoong sighs, slinking down into the couch further, having sat up when Namjoon came into the room.

“Unfortunately, yes.” Namjoon nods as his phone rings. “Oh, it’s Suga.” It was habit for him to use code names while in the safe house, even though he knew they were safe for the moment. “How did it go?” He puts the phone on speaker for everyone to hear.

“We managed to get the barrier removed safely, and I was right. They ed with the blood supply in the fridge. Not sure if the barrier had a time limit on it, but if it had faded and they’d drank any of it, likely they would have been poisoned and could have died. Since we don’t have a freaking lab right now to send it to, I’m going to assume it’s nightshade with how bad it stinks.” Yoongi’s voice says into the room.

Namjoon’s face blanches. “We’ll add it to the list. We’re at safehouse number 7, and we’re going to get one of the alt houses ready for them to stay at during Blood Moon.”

“Sounds good. Jimin and I are going to round up some food for us and we can help set up the alt house while you guys figure out the plan there. We’ll need to sleep at some point, do we want to set up plan 4 for the guard duty?”

“Sounds good to me.” Namjoon agrees, already seeing Hwanwoong perking up in interest. He knows this could be a good training time for Hwanwoong, but with him being the main victim and priority number one amongst his group to protect, they’ll have to be extra careful with procedures this time around.

“Ok. Hanging up.” Yoongi replies back, and before Namjoon can agree, the phone clicks and a dial tone is heard. Namjoon hangs up his end, looking at the group.

“Get some rest. We’ll start dinner in a couple hours if you like? If any of you like to cook, Jin probably would appreciate the help.” Namjoon smiles. “The rest of us are in the kitchen, well, except for Jungkook and Suga.”

Geonhak smiles, raising his hand. “I’m usually the one to cook for us, so I’ll help him out.” He offers.

“Good. We’ll probably do something simple like kimchi fried rice since it’s simple enough.” Jin comes into the room. “It’ll be fortified with the supplements for you and Xion though, so be prepared to learn how to cook with them.”

Geonhak nods. “Keonhee taught me how to use them in cooking but learning how to add them in for Xion and I would be good so we can build up our tolerance easier over the next few days.”

“Sounds good.” Jin nods.

“V says the alt house is secured and they’re going to send the location to the others.” Namjoon says. “Rest well until dinner, then we’ll set up a guard schedule and talk how we’re going to move you tomorrow to the new location. For now, we’re going to go patrol the perimeter of the outside to make sure no one followed us from the apartment.”

With that Namjoon and Jin leave them. Dongju stands up. “I’m going to go take a nap until dinner, anyone else?”

Seoho blinks and pushes at Hwanwoong, “I’ll join you. 2 panic attacks today have worn me out.” He says, standing up once Hwanwoong moves.

“Hwanwoong, you should go lay down too.” Youngjo encourages. “You took a good hit earlier when J-Hope flew into you.”

Hwanwoong yawns as he stands up, surprisingly not arguing as he nods. “I still don’t feel good after that hit, might be a good idea to lay down for a while.”

“Maybe a group nap wouldn’t be a bad idea.” Dongju suggests.

“Even though we had one earlier?” Geonhak asks, an eyebrow raised.

Dongju shrugs. “I mean, it’s been one hell of a day, we all could use the rest, and at the very least, we can all dog pile into the bed and even if you don’t nap, cuddling would recharge you.” He suggests, seeing how Youngjo seems conflicted about joining for the nap verses staying up to mull over how the day has gone so far.

Jin finds Geonhak later in the center of the pile of ONEUS, holding loosely onto Dongju, his face buried into the youngest’s neck, snoring softly and while he normally doesn’t have the heart to wake up anyone sleeping like that, he knows that Geonhak needs the lesson in cooking.

**

“So, we add this much here for the kimchi and this much here for the fried rice.” Jin says later, as Geonhak watches the elder werewolf take a jar of what looks like spices and sprinkle a tablespoon over each pot, adding more into one of them over the other. “We’ll let those simmer for 15 minutes before we combine the two.”

“That makes sense.” Geonhak nods. “I’ve tried making this dish before for the others, and never could get the ratio of the supplement down for each portion. I over supplemented the rice, and under supplemented the kimchi.”

“Kimchi takes a lot more of the supplement than you think.” Jin tells him, setting the jar aside, lid firmly in place to prevent it from drying out. “If you are cooking with kimchi, add 2 times the amount you think you need to it, it will absorb about half of it, and the rest will be perfect.”

Geonhak nods as he commits the information to memory. Jin stirs the food, and they wait in comfortable silence for a few minutes.

“How attached are you to Xion?” Jin asks suddenly.

“What?” Geonhak blinks, taken aback.

“Earlier when I went to wake you, you were curled around Xion, your nose was in his neck.” Jin says casually, stirring the rice. “I noticed he has a slight raised mark on the back of his neck. He’s not claimed by a wolf, is he?”

Geonhak sighs. “I’ve apparently been biting him in my sleep during nest nap times this week.” He admits, thinking of Dongju and how his teeth marks are imprinting on the back of Dongju’s neck. “The others said I drew blood this morning when I bit him when they tried to separate us.”

“You don’t have any werewolf DNA in your history?” Jin asks.

“None that I’m aware of.” Geonhak admits. “But I’m also not close with my family. I was kicked out of my family when I moved to Seoul to go to college instead of taking over the family business.”

“Anyone in your family that you can recall getting kicked out when you were younger for being different? Or did they just stop showing up to events?” Jin asks, frowning.

Geonhak thinks for a moment, then shakes his head. “No. My parents tended to keep me away from family functions until I was a teenager, said they didn’t want me to be exposed to a lot of the family until I was old enough to handle things on my own. But by then I didn’t want to be around them as I was more interested in school than I was going to family functions and missed them due to extracurricular activities. I think they were happy about it in the end until I said I wanted to go to college to be a teacher.”

“How many family functions did you end up attending?” Jin raises an eyebrow at him.

“I think 2?” Geonhak admits. “The first one I recall some of the cousins that were much older got into a fight about one of the businesses not doing so well, and they had to be separated because they were drawing blood….wait…now that I think of it, they weren’t using any weapons, just their hands…”

Jin grins. “Bingo!”

Just as they are finishing dinner, Hwanwoong comes out into the kitchen, yawning, rubbing at his stomach. “Hyung.” He whines, going to Geonhak and latching onto the human, leaning up to press his nose into the elder’s neck. “mm…getting hungry.” He mumbles against his skin.

“I know baby.” Geonhak wraps his arms around the younger, holding his future mate close as the vampire scents him.

“Wish I could drink from you.” Hwanwoong sighs fitfully, not caring that Jin is in the room as he digs his nose into Geonhak’s neck, lulled by the scent of his hyung and yet the scent of his blood bringing his senses alive, as well as the sharp scent of gunpowder. “Gunpowder?” He pulls back, eyes wide, confused as Namjoon bursts into the kitchen, panting.

“Gather the others and RUN.” He stumbles.

“What’s going on?” Jin stops immediately.

“We’ve got intruders heading this way.”

“They’re here already.” Hwanwoong pushes Geonhak behind him, towards Jin. “I can smell them from here. Its gunpowder scented.”

“Leedo, go to the nest area, stay there with the others.” Jin orders. “Don’t let anyone in unless we call all clear.”

Geonhak makes a noise, untangling himself from Hwanwoong and dashing towards the room where they’d all been sleeping, knowing there isn’t any use to arguing with the werewolf when he’s barking out orders like that.

He barges into the room where everyone else is just starting to wake, shutting the door, and locking it. Seoho startles. “What’s going on?”

“RM spotted intruders coming.” Geonhak breathes, back against the door. “Jin said not to let anyone in until they said so.”

“Where’s Hwanwoong?” Dongju’s voice rises up in slight panic.

“Out there with them.” Geonhak jerks his head back behind him. “I think he intends to help fight.”

“Damn it.” Youngjo swears. “He’s the target, he should be in here with us, not trying to fight them.”

A shout is heard from outside the room, they can’t tell who it is, and footsteps and thumping noises, and then a white-hot blaring sound permeates the air, and they all drop to the floor, hands covering their ears, eyes slamming shut in pain. Geonhak curls in on himself as the alarm seems to penetrate his skull, the noise echoing in his head over and over again until he passes out, the pain overwhelming him.


Happy pre-ONEUS comeback eve!!!