Beach Together

Running for You

Yujin's POV

Yujin glanced nervously at the time on her bedroom wall. Exactly 6:50. Yujins felt jittery, reminded of her plans to meet with Wonyoung. Her head moves to observe her outfit in her full-length mirror. She has opted for a casual look. A blue hat and an oversized white T-shirt stylishly tucked into faded ripped Jeans. Looking herself over one more time, she walks over to the entrance of her apartment. A faint smile appears on her face as she unlocks the door. Every time she thinks about tonight's party, her heart flutters a little, her every thought drifting back to spending time with Wonyoung. Quickly realizing her goofy grin, she frustratedly shakes her head to rid of any thoughts. "Let's just enjoy ourselves, Yujin. But let's not be distracted."

Before leaving, Yujin sighs as she takes one last look around her messy apartment. It was cramped and only housed Yujin herself. To say Yujins situation is difficult was an understatement. Yujin could barely afford to feed herself after paying rent, her father's hospital bills, and supporting her Mothers living expenses back in Korea, despite working multiple part-time jobs. Yujin inhales deeply as she remembers how much is riding on her to succeed. She refuses to admit that perhaps Wonyoung is the only reason she's allowing herself to be distracted attending this party.

Opening the door, she leaves her apartment. The temperature is cool, but not cold. A warm, relaxing sea breeze hits her face. She smiles as she walks down the footpath to Wonyoungs apartment, where they had met previously. Yujin waits around the door for a few minutes, playing games on her phone to pass the time. Little does she know that Wonyoung has already left her apartment, and is creeping up to her. Before she can react, Wonyoung lets out a "Boo!" and nearly gives Yujin a heart attack. Not sure why she's so on edge, Yujin lets out a startled yelp before composing herself to greet the girl.

Wonyoung wears a beige ed cardigan with fashionably large buttons over the top of a cropped green spaghetti-strapped singlet, and causal jean shorts frayed at the hems. A Chanel handbag with a gold chain hangs off her shoulder.

"Well, should we get going then, Yujin?" Yujin internally smacks herself for not saying anything earlier. "Yeah, of course! Uhm, if I'm not mistaken I think we turn right up here..." While Yujin tries to coordinate the two, Wonyoung lets out a secret smile as she sees Yujins face scrunched in concentration, her lips slightly pursed with her eyebrows furrowed.

--

The two make their way towards a neon bar located on a busy street at the beachfront. Neon lights light up the bar's name. "So this is Eleven, huh?" Yujin smiles as they finally find their meeting spot. "Looks nice! I can't wait to meet my teammates- ah, that reminds me." Yujin clicks her fingers. "I'll definitely introduce you to them, so you'll have plenty of people to talk to." Yujin grins as she grabs Wonyoungs wrist as they walk inside. Wonyoung feels her heart take a fleeting leap.

The two are instantly met with the sound of loud chatter and the smell of food and alcohol. After surveying the room, Yujin steers them to a table with a group of girls laughing loudly. "Yujin!" A girl with two-toned hair greets them. "I didn't expect to see you tonight!" The girl's friendly gaze moves to Wonyoung. "And who's this? Your new friend?" Yujin grins, showing her dimple. "Hi, Yena Unnie. And yeah, I didn't think I'd be here either, but well" she shrugs "Sudden change of plans. Ah! And this is Wonyoung. She's also Korean." Yujin gestures to the two "Wonyoung, this is Yena. Yena, this is Wonyoung" Wonyoung gives a friendly wave, and Yena returns it. "She's a Junior like me, and she's studying Fashion and acting, I believe."

Yena pulls her impressed face. "Fancy!" she exclaims. "As for me, I'm a senior at Lions, and on the same Football team as Yujin, so we get to see a lot of each other" She laughs, while Yujin punches her shoulder in a friendly manner. "I'm also studying dance, composing music, and-" She grimaced. "Economics... Had to make my old man happy somehow." She playfully rolls her eyes. "Anyways, why don't you two sit down? There are empty seats besides Chaeyeon." Yujin points them over to a girl with sandy blonde hair, who waves in their direction.

They both take a seat, and both Wonyoung and Chaeyeon introduce themselves. Wonyoung learns that while Chaeyeon is also a Senior majoring in dance, she is not on the Football team like Yena ( "I keep trying to convince her, she's a great athlete" Yena muses over the table). Chaeyeon talks about her boyfriend, and how she plans to work at One Million dance studios back in Korea once she's graduated. Wonyoung is enamored. She's amazed by how independent and cool this older girl is. Chaeyeon must have caught her stare of cute admiration because she grins and ruffles her hair.

"How old are you, Wonyoung?" She asks.

"Nineteen" replies Wonyoung politely.

"Sounds about right." Chayeon stands up from her chair. "How do you all feel about some drinks?!" Chayeon shouts enthusiastically over the table. The other girls respond with cheers. "Twelve shots, please," Chaeyeon tells a passing waiter.

Wonyoung looks at Yujin after she hears the proposition of alcohol. "I've never drunk before... is it any good?"

Yujin responds to her question honestly. "Actually, I've never drunk before either... just never had the opportunity" She laughs. "But how hard could it be, am I right? It's just a drink."

During their conversation, a tray of shots is delivered to their table. "Heads up!" Yena yells excitedly. Already downing her first shot, the two girls stare in shock at the duckie-lipped girl. Chaeyeon rolls her eyes before telling Yena to slow down before she accidentally blacks out.

Yujin turns her head back to Wonyoung. "Do you wanna try it together?" Wonyoung nods her head in anticipation. They both grab a shot glass. With grins on both their faces, Yujin counts them down.

"Three, Two, One...!" They both down the shots at the same time. An instant later, both girls are left spluttering from the painful burn the drink leaves in their throat. "Ugh, what is IN this?!" Exclaims Yujin with a grimace on her face. Chaeyeon lets out an addictive laugh. With an amused look in her eye, she tells them that the alcohol content was at 70%.

"Oh, so rocket fuel then." Yujin says sarcastically.

Wonyoung holds in a grin. Her mood since getting here had improved immensely. She also felt giddier after the drink, boosting her extraverted mood and pushing any bothersome thoughts into the back of her mind. "Hey Wonyoung." Yujin nudges her arm. "I'm done with drinking, considering I've lost trust in anything these girls decide to serve up." Wonyoung giggles, less aware of her surroundings than before. "I actually brought some sparkler candles... I was wondering if you'd like to try some down at the beach?" Wonyoung stares into Yujins bashful puppy eyes, and decides that she would indeed like to play with Yujin at the beach.

"Of course! What are we waiting for? Let's go!" Wonyoung grins as she gets up from her seat, followed by an excited Yujin.

They make their way down onto the cold sand, and darkness envelopes them the closer they step towards the water. Yujin opens her backpack and pulls out two packs of Sparklers. She gives one to Wonyoung and pulls out a lighter. One after another, they start to burn through their packets of sparklers.

Yujin playfully taps Wonyoung and yells playfully "Catch me if you can!" Wonyoung, realizing she'd been challenged to a game of tag, lights up another sparkler.

"Oh, it is ON!"

They both chase each other with Sparklers while their laughter fills the air. A childish game that filled their hearts, running with their full might across the sand while their lungs fill with the cool night air.

After what felt like hours of fun, both girls decided to forfeit the game after they had finally run out of sparklers to burn. Yujin flopped down onto the beach, completely exhausted. Wonyoung sat down next to her, a tired grin plastered on her face. "I had a lot of fun tonight," Wonyoung says breathlessly. Yujin, now aware of their proximity, sheepishly grins. "Me too, Wonyoung. Thanks for playing with me." After a moment, Wonyoung, opting for silence, leans her head against Yujins shoulder. Yujin, while nervous, suddenly felt at home. Like all the good memories of being with her family resided with Wonyoung. The comfortable and calm atmosphere she adored fell on both of the girls as they settled into comfortable science, watching the waves crash onto the shore.

Wonyoung waits a moment before breaking the silence. "Say, Yujin... How did you know you wanted to be a Football player?" Yujin glances down at Wonyoung, before staring at the ocean. She lets out a thin smile. "Well, it's a sport I've been involved in since I was young. I always knew I was good. So, I guess it just went from there." She hesitates before continuing. "I was always the best wherever I went, and I was scouted as a prospective player the second I made it onto the junior leagues. But once I got into high school, I was hit with the reality. I was poor at academics, and my family was struggling financially and needed any money I could possibly make." Her shoulders slumped. "My father was far from any position to provide for our family, and both my parents left to Korea since the health care he needed is too expensive here. So once I got accepted to Lions on a scholarship, I knew this was my one shot, to leave my poor life and provide for my family. The ability to shine on one of the countries best College teams is something I cannot give up. I will work my off to achieve what I need to." She firmly states.

Wonyoung looked up at Yujin with wide eyes. She realized how Yujins mindset reflected onto her acting career. Yujin knew why she needed to play. For passion, but also her family. So what was the reason Wonyoung couldn't bring herself to act anymore? What clouded her passion?

Yujin met Wonyoungs gaze. "Enough about me" She lets out a small smile. "What was Korea like before moving here?"

Wonyoung hesitates before answering. A flurry of thoughts fills her mind. If she doesn't know, why should I tell her? Should I be honest?

Wonyoung takes a deep breath, her head still leaning on Yujins shoulder. "Well... while I was in Korea, I did a lot of acting. I also did it since I was little, like you did with football. Every producer I've worked with said I had 'A Spark'. But as I got older, I was cast into more roles I just... I don't know. That I didn't like?" She paused, and Yujin nodded for her to continue "Towards the final months before my break, nearly every role thrown at me were Rom-Coms. I felt pressured to meet this new standard for myself, but I honestly felt uncomfortable, to the point where I hated acting."

A clouded look enters her eyes. "There was this time I... it was actually the last time I acted before going on this sudden break. I was on set - I had to film a scene where I played the high school sweetheart to the lead character. He and I were supposed to..." A long pause follows. "....Kiss".

She starts to talk faster. "I knew it was just acting and I knew it wasn't a big deal but with all those eyes around me, I felt like I was somehow in the wrong for my unwillingness to kiss him. Like somehow I would disappoint my family and hurt my career if I said "no" because no one around me understood my hardships, which means I'm the odd one out, right? And I just feel so wrong. It's as if I had lost 'The Spark'. It was so overwhelming. But even after so much doubt and the whole damn set crew staring at me as if I was an alien, I still knew that I did not want to kiss him." Her eyes glint in the moonlight. "I don't know why. I just feel like my life has slipped between my fingers." An overwhelmed and sad expression adorned Wonyoungs doll-like face.

"Yujin... have you ever had a boyfriend?" Wonyoung asked suddenly. "How did you know that you loved him?". Yujin shook her head, silently feeling nervous "I've never had a boyfriend. Family first you know..." She glances around. "Or at least, that's what I keep telling myself..." She pauses, and Yujin feels like a blossom of petals has made its way into her heart as she softly connects her eyes with the girl on her shoulder. Could it be? Thought Yujin. She widened her eyes in surprise as if she had realized something after a very, very long time. Yujin continued with more determination. 

"But Wonyoung... after talking to you, I can't deny that I've felt like I've had to kiss a boy at some point, despite never wanting to. I've always been too busy studying, working, or providing for my family. That's always my excuse. But I... I don't think there was a time when I wanted to in the first place, if you know what I mean. I never thought I'd find someone I relate to so much." Yujin gazes softly into Wonyoungs eyes.

Wonyoung suddenly voices a thought that had been weighing on her mind since the begging of her encounter with Yujin. 

"That scene I was talking about. We were actually sitting in the exact same position as now. But with you, Yujin, I don't feel so uncomfortable."

Wonyoung lifts her head from her previous position and places her hands on Yujins shoulders, turning her body so that their proximity is much more intimate. Yujin feels her heart clatter in her chest. Her eyes slowly drift down from Wonyoungs eyes to her lips. Could it be? She leans in slightly before catching herself. But before breaking her position she breathes out. "Wonyoung, I-"

Suddenly, Yujin feels a pair of soft ghosting hers, as Wonyoung nearly closes the distance. Closing her eyes, Yujin leans in but-

Wonyoung pulls back with a grin plastered on her face. Yujin stares at Wonyoung completely flustered. Wonyoung starts to stand up. "It's getting dark. Plus, we have school tomorrow, right?". Yujin had totally forgotten. She smacked herself internally. Tomorrow was the first day of College! Trying to compose herself, she dumbly replies. "Uh.. yeah. College, right College..." She mumbles. This seems to amuse Wonyoung more than anything, as she leans in for once the last kiss. Yujin fees a stupid grin grow on her face. Standing up, Wonyoung ecstatically tells Yujin "Catch me if you can!" and runs off down the beach.

Yujin, quickly dusting herself off, runs after Wonyoung before she can get too far away. A squeal leaves Wonyoungs lips as Yujin bear hugs her from behind. A squirming Wonyoung struggles between her arms. "Yujin!" she giggles madly "Let me go! We have to go home, remember!" Yujin grins. "We live around the same area, don't we? I'll walk with you to keep you safe from any bad guys." Wonyoung tilts her head around to meet Yujins "My Prince charming. What would I do without you?". Yujins chest puffs up in childish pride. "I'll protect you, Princess Wonyoung." Putting on a more adult tone, she laughs and links her arm with Wonyoung. "Let's walk home, shall we?"

--

 

After dropping Wonyoung off at her apartment, Yujin strides to her block as if she had won the lottery. She certainly felt extremely lucky that night, her every thought filled with Wonyoung.

But despite this, she felt unsure about how she was going to approach her the following morning. Yujin was slightly confused and apprehensive about how to label what had happened between them. But Yujin felt happy. And that was all that mattered. Giddlly unlocking her apartment door, she flopped down on her bed, too tired even get changed. Lazy tucking herself in, she replayed that night's events through her head tirelessly. Sighing contently, Yujin let sleep wash over her. With a full heart, Yujin drifted off into a deep sleep.