Waiting for You

Running for You

Wonyoungs POV

Wonyoungs foot taps anxiously on the marble floor. The cold hospital air bites at her skin. The row of chairs that she was sitting in was adjacent to a large window, the sun blazing on the horizon as it slowly sank below the coastline.

"Ms Wonyoung?" A nurse taps her shoulder. "Ahn Yujin is ready to see you."

.

.

.

"Yujin!" 

Wonyoungs own voice continuously echoed in her ears as she attends her lectures that day. Despite her growing concern, she had forced herself to be focused. She knew Yujin was in good hands and assured herself not to worry too much. However, she anxiously half-listened her way through every class, and the second her final lecture ended at three, she rushed out of the room and b-lined to the hospital, the only place on her mind ever since she had seen Yujin towed away in that ambulance earlier in the morning.

She hurriedly approached the front desk and asked if they had a patient registered under the name 'Ahn Yujin'. 

"Let me see..." The nurse looked at her monitor "Yes, she was checked in a few hours ago through the ER. However, I'll need you to take a seat for a while. I'll inform you when the doctors give her the green light for visitors." The nurse smiled kindly at her, and Wonyoung tried her best to emulate her mood. However, she wearily sat down and felt her facade crumble. Anxiousness chewed away at her as she remembered how beat up Yujin looked on the field. 

I doubt it's life-threatening. I'm sure she'll be fine... But... She frowned Didn't one of the students mention something about a game? 

Wonyoung mulled over the implications. Ahn Yujin, the football team's star player, and a big game.... presumably missed? 

Oh no... thought Wonyoung. She felt horrible for Yujin. She knew how hard she worked for football. Having to sit out a big game would be devastating for her. 

Wonyoung suddenly had an idea. Sitting up, she made her way to the hospital's Au' Bon Pan.

"Two cream cheese bagels, please. Yup. Thanks."

As she picked up her order and made her way back to her seat, Wonyoung felt less on edge. She knew the food would cheer Yujin up a little, and she hoped it would take Yujins mind off things, namely, the game, her team... everything she had been working for thus far, to try and make it feel less overwhelming. 

As Wonyoung waited, she nibbled through her bagel to try and pass the time. Slowly, she felt her appetite grow and nearly devoured her bagel within minutes. All her worrying that day had left her hungry without even noticing it since the anxiety had almost eaten up all her other senses.

Wonyoung settled in her chair and scrolled on her phone, trying to calm her nerves. An idea popped into her mind. She thought about sending Yujin a message, in case she wasn't able to visit her in the end. As she scrolled through her Instagram, she stopped abruptly after realizing a crucial fact.

Oh... I don't even have Yujins contacts yet.

But rather than feeling disappointed, Wonyoung made a mental note to herself to get Yujins account details as soon as possible. It felt as if she had known the girl for years, and it felt empty to not be able to message her.

--

Waiting... waiting... the clock ticked in a metronome beat as the waiting area cleared out bit by bit. The drone of an aircon filled Wonyoungs ears, and a few hours became an eternity. The sun had started setting lazily behind the horizon, and Wonyounbg laid slumped on her chair out of pure boredom. 

"Ms Wonyoung?" A nurse taps her shoulder. "Ahn Yujin is ready to see you."

Wonyoung snapped to attention. Finally! But... how would Yujin react to her being there?

Yujin never let anyone see the weak side of her, and after the accident, she would be especially adverse. Would Wonyoung be overstepping? 

Shaking her head of such thoughts, she responded to the nurse. "Yes, thank you so much! I'll be right there."

She picked up the neatly folded food beside her and rushed behind the nurse, following her to the lift.

As they walked, the nurse glanced at her clipboard before addressing Wonyoung. 

"I have some bad news. When Ahn Yujin was admitted, her sporting Coach asked us about her condition in the foreseeable future. Apparently, he wants her up and running by this weekend. However, she's in no condition to even walk for the next three to four weeks, most likely on crutches for the majority of that. After about three weeks, we'll check on her injuries. Luckily, she didn't break any bones, just a few bad twists and turns."

Wonyoungs face fell

"Everything's more for precaution, really, so she should be good to go in no time. In fact, she'll be out of the ward tonight, by the looks of the scans. Please make sure to notify her so she can book an appointment."

Wonyoung could not help but frown sadly, despite the good news.

"Ok.. i'll make sure to pass the message on."

They made their way through several wards before finally arriving at the private rooms.

"Here we are. I'll leave you guys be. Please press the service button if you need anything." The nurse smiled and left, leaving Wonyoung alone at the door. 

Dread, fear, and anxiousness overran her mind. Yujin... surely she wasn't too badly hurt, right?

Wonyoung was scared. But she knew she had to face whatever was about to come, for Yujins sake.

Opening the door, she was met with a large, dimly lit room. Closed blinds on large windows lined the side of the room. A TV lay on the centre wall, and a squat couch sat next to the door where Wonyoung was standing. In the middle was a large hospital bed was hooked up with several computer looking machines stacked on top of one another, with tubes and wires snaking towards one person. Wonyoungs eyes landed on an unmoving figure in the middle of the bed. She slowly made her way over, unsure of what to expect.

Ahn Yujin lay peacefully on her back, and Wonyoung let out a breath she had been holding. 

She's ok.

But upon second inspection, Wonyoung noticed her left and arm ankle were clad in a cast. The side of her hospital gown was lifted slightly to reveal a rib splint, a flat square object attached to her side. Bruised and battered, Yujin looked far from any condition for everyday activities, let alone sports. 

Her demeanour shifted as Yujin let out a deep sigh in her sleep. Wonyoung now faced unrealized exhaustion as the weight of the world lifted from her shoulders. The hours spent waiting and worrying had left her with only a few drops of energy to spare. Laying down her belongings on the bedside table, Wonyoung pulled up a chair and lay her head on the edge of Yujins bed. She glanced up at the sleeping girl one last time, and let relief wash over her for the first time that day.

I'll just close my eyes for a second... Just a second...

--

Wonyoung eyes fluttered open as she felt shifting next to her head. The rustling of blankets and Yujins voice broke the silence.

"Wonyoung?" Said Yujin groggily. "What are you doing here?"

Wonyoung lifted her head to meet Yujins eyes. 

"Yujin I-" Wonyoungs eyes prickled with sadness. "I was so worried. I saw the accident on the field... I'm so sorry."

Wonyoung lightly placed her hand on top of Yujins, and Yujin immediately started distractedly twiddling with Wonyoungs fingers. 

"The nurse told me to tell you that you're gonna be out for the next three to four weeks... I'm really sorry Yujin" Wonyoung softly squeezed her uninjured hand.

Yujin looked like she was having a hard time digesting this news.

God, she must be so exhausted. Wonyoung realized. 

Yujin suddenly sniffled. This caught Wonyoung off guard.

"But then, what should I do, Wonyoung? My teammates, the game, everything I-" She choked, her eyes full of tears, sleep, and vulnerability. 

"Yujin." Wonyoung says softly but sternly. "Don't blame yourself. There's nothing you can do now but rest." She paused, an idea making its way into her head. "And I'm going to make sure you get just that." She picks up the bagle she bought for Yujin hours earlier and pushes a piece in before Yujin can let out any more sad sobs.

Yujins tears seemed to catch themselves in her eyes, and the sadness and tiredness seems to suddenly diminish in her posture. She lets out a tear-filled but relaxed sigh from her nose as she chews the food. "Did you buy this for me?" She mumbles "You're too much... How did you know this is my favourite flavour?" Her eyes look at Wonyoung gratefully. 

She lets out another content sigh before resting her chin on Wonyoungs shoulder. Her arms loosely hang around Wonyoungs back as she snuggles her while they both sat on the bed. Wonyoung smiles as she leans her head onto Yujins, and slowly rubs her back in circles and her hair. Yujin was reminding her very much of a big, adorable, and sad puppy. They sat there in silence as the sadness seemed to melt off of both of them bit by bit, relaxed breaths and a sleepy atmosphere taking its place.

A knock on the door interrupted them a few minutes later. They quickly broke apart as a Nurse opened the door, pushing a wheelchair. 

"Ahn Yujin? We're ready to see you now."

--

The drive home was quiet. After the nurse had brought them down to the doctor, Yujin had been filled in about her circumstances, and they sat there doing all the necessary paperwork. After what seemed like forever, Wonyoung was pushing Yujin out of the hospital in a wheelchair. Making their way down to the carpark, Wonyoung loaded Yujin into the backseat and her wheelchair in the boot, finally ready to head home.

It was well into the night as they drove. Wonyoung checked the rearview mirror to see if Yujin was sleeping. But she just seemed to stare out the window, her mind somewhere else.

--

It was about 2:00 am by the time the pair arrived back at Yujins house. Wonyoung parked her car before taking an understandably tired Yujin up to her apartment.

She pushed Yujin in on the wheelchair and the light. Her house was small but relatively neat and cosy. But the messy state of dishes, messy workout equipment, and dusty belongings did not fail to catches Wonyoungs eye.

This will not do. She thought, and made a mental note to clean them up later. Huh...? Later?

But before Wonyoung could mull the implications of her becoming a domestic busybody permanently integrated into Yujins life, Yujin spoke.

"Sorry about the mess" She smiled sheepishly. "I wasn't really expecting any visitors. I'm not really busy other than training, so...' Yujin mopingly explained, her demeanour once again sad.

"I'm so sorry for dragging you into this, I honestly feel terrible. You've done more than enough, you can head home and don't worry about me..."

But instead of giving in to the sad atmosphere that Yujin tried to create, Wonyoun spun Yujin around on her wheelchair totally catching her off guard. "Whoah! I- Wait!"

Wonyoung did not hesitate. "You really think I'll just leave you here like this huh, huh? I know for a fact that you're all beaten and bruised up, just look at yourself! No more Mr Tough guy, Yujin. Look where that ended you up." Yujin looked like a kicked puppy.

Wonyoung pursed her lips. "And those dishes. They have to go." Yujin gapped at Wonyoung, lost for words. "I swear, you only have, like, two forks, one of which is bent." Wonyoung shook her head. "You can barely look after yourself when you're well, but like this? You literally could not survive without me."

Wonyoungs sass at 2 am in the morning was bit much for Yujin to comprehend. "Are you serious? I- I could never, I'd just be bringing you down-"

But before Yujin could finish answering, Wonyoung stifled a very obvious yawn. Yujins eyes met hers, her change in demeanour evident. Her eyes were instantly less worried and much softer.

"Hey. You wanna stay here tonight? I have a spare toothbrush and clothes you can use."

Wonyoung was honestly too tired to complain. She nodded her head. "Sounds good. I'll go get changed. Will you be ok on your own?"

Yujin let out a small smile, the first mood that hadn't been mopping over her injuries since Wonyoung had picked her up. "I'll be fine. My bathroom's that door there. Feel free to use."

--

As Wonyoung exited the bathroom, she wore an oversized T-shirt and shorts, similar to what she wore the first day she and Yujin met. Wonyoung could not help but note, with a skip in her heart, how they smelled like Yujin. 

The room was totally dim. She could make out Yujins figure from the bed.

She slowly made her way over as Yujin patted the spot next to her. Wonyoung silently complied and slumped onto the bed.

She turned to face Yujin as she pulled the blanket closer over her shoulders, the warmth making her eyes feel heavy. Yujin suddenly mumbled "Arnt you cold? Here, let me try this." Yujin grinned as she enveloped Wonyoung into yet another hug, but much closer than before. Wonyoung could swear that Yujin must feel her heart beating from her chest. But somehow, she still felt relaxed as ever. She let her head slump onto Yujins chest as Yujin lazily her hair, a calm and inviting feeling. 

"I feel like I haven't told you a lot about myself, Wonyoung." she said with a sigh. "It feels like we've known each other forever." Yujin paused. "The game meant a lot to me. And I just- I just thought if I'd keep pushing through, I'd make it." Wonyoungs eyes listened kindly and attentively. "But... no one on my team knows how nervous I am. After finally escaping the cycle of being poor my family held on for decades, I know I had to be the very best at football. This is my big break. Our big break." She paused. "But I was doubting myself. I had my entire family's hopes riding on me. If I had put up with the pressure of winning the Semi-Finals, you know, the game that was upcoming, I became afraid I'd falter in the finals from all that pressure. Imagine the star player miserably failing the team... that'd be it for me." 

Wonyoung speaks next to Yujin. "You know, Yujin. I have something you'd like to hear, and I think it'll help you. While I was in Korea, I was a well-known actress. A lot of people knew me, Yujin, and I felt I couldn't fail no matter what. But I started to struggle, and I had no idea what I was doing wrong. I thought I was imperfect. I thought I was weird for not wanting to kiss boys in movies..." She paused. "But I realized after taking a break, that's just me. And nothing can change that." She looked Yujin in the eyes. "You made me realize who I truly am. And so I want to help you too. Breaks are ok, and they're healthy. Don't think of this as a punishment. Take this time to get to know yourself better, and prepare your mind for the Finals in a month's time. I know you can do it. I believe in you, Yujin. You have a good heart, and your intentions are right. Don't forget that, ok?" 
"Anyways, it's nearly 3 am, Yujinie." Yujin let out a yawn of understanding. 'Yeah, let's go to bed" she mumbled, her lips slightly swollen. Wonyoung cuddled into Yujins side once again as Yujin adoringly hugged the girl next to her, drifting off into a peaceful sleep. 

.

.

.

.

.

A/N

I'm terribly sorry for the late update guys, since I know some of you might have been looking forward to this chapter. School never lets up T-T . Assesment after assessment. So far, I've published every chapter at 12-1am, since it's the only free time I have... sigh... anyways, look forward to the next chapter! Something big will be happening, don't worry. it's regarding Wonyoung this time time. Juicyyyy. Look forward to it!