Realization

Running for You

Wonyoung's POV

 

Wonyoungs eyes flutter open to the morning sun. The distant chatter of birds made its way into her room as the trees calmly rustled outside. Rolling over onto her side, she checked the time on her bedside table. It was currently 8:00. Wonyoungs first ever Uni classes started at nine. Nervous but excited, Wonyoung sat up from her bed to start making preparations for the day. 

On the floor, she saw her handbag and clothes strewn into a pile, reminding her of the hectic night before. The running, laughing, all the new people she had met, and... well, everything.

A small smile made its way onto her face. After Yujin had dropped her off, Wonyoung had entered her room and felt all her energy leave her soul. Taking about five seconds to get changed, she slumped onto her bed and proceeded to sleep like a rock. Funnily enough, Wonyoung felt wide awake. So wide awake in fact, that the second she walked into the bathroom, it only took a split second glance at herself in the bathroom mirror to realize that she had lipgloss smeared all around her lips. And it wasn't hers. The realization dawned on her like she was walking out of a haze. She had kissed Ahn Yujin... And she had liked it.

But why?

Staring herself in the eyes, Wonyoung forced herself to reconcile with the problems plaguing her life. The countless uncomfortable advances boys made on her, the kissing scenes she dreaded filming and the close proximity she had to share made her believe she hated being touched. But, Wonyoung realized, she was misled and fundamentally lying to herself. Years of unreconciled agony on becoming more and more unconventional lead to her hating her job and her life. But she now realized her anger was just a reflection of her inability to be true to herself. Growing up famous had taught her that deviating would not be tolerated. Not realizing she was trying to define herself by her ability to act, Wonyoung desperately wanted to embody the girl people thought she was. But this only split her down the middle even more. It's all she could focus on. Every waking hour was spent dreading her job. Stress and anxiety took over her personality. It felt like she was desperately trying not to drown. So she turned her back on all of it, concluding that she was unfit to continue acting.

But being with Yujin last night made her realize that perhaps her verdict was incorrect. Yujin made her feel comfortable. Yujin made her heart flutter. This is exactly how she was told to feel with boys, how she should have felt on set. But this time... it was a girl. Painful memories of denied childhood crushes flashed in front of her eyes. How they pushed her away once she failed to understand how her feelings wouldn't belong in a friendship. This fundamental lack of understanding of her own feelings led her down a dark and depressing path. But now... Wonyoung raised her head to meet her gaze in the mirror. She knew. 

I, Jang Wonyoung, like another girl.

The second she admitted it to herself, she felt the world lift from her shoulders. All her troubles finally made sense. Her mind felt empty, as if... nothing mattered. For the first time in a long time, Wonyoung felt free. She could pick her own path instead of forcing herself into a box, and she would not let her previous path of acting define her anymore. 

This feeling of relief made her hold her eyes to new horizons, and a future no longer so dreary.

 

--

 

Taking a deep breath in, Wonyoung made her way onto the University campus for the first time ever. The grounds, filled with plants, statues, and buildings, now had flocks of students roaming around the massive area as the day began. Wonyoung smiled to herself.

With not a worry in the world, she lifted her head and giddily made her way towards her first lecture. Dressed casually, she wore a white shirt tucked into black shorts, a pink cardigan hanging over her shoulders.

No matter where Wonyoung went, she would attract eyes. She doubted they would know who she was, though.

This was America, not Korea.

But who cares? Wonyoung thought. I don't care who sees me. This is my life and I'm going to live it to the fullest. 

Just as she approached the first building towards her lecture, Wonyoung saw a crowd gathered around the football pitch. As she curiously approached them, their mumbles became clearer.

"Wow... Isn't that their star player? She's definitely injured. She probably won't be playing in the big game next week, then."

"It's so terrible... I can't even look."

"Agreed. Hey, what did you say her name was again?"

A moment of silence enveloped the two as the person tried to remember. Suddenly, they answered a popped up like a balloon exploding in front of Wonyoungs face.

"Ahn Yujin."

Wonyoung felt her heart drop. Pushing her way through the crowd, she grew more and more frantic as she fumbled through the sheer density of people. Breaking out through the front, she stands there in shock, taking in what lies before her. An ambulance stood on the field with several players scattered around its proximity. Her eyes then landed on the stretcher with a girl lying on top. Wonyoung could easily make out the figure from where she was standing. Yujins head moved slightly, and her eyes met Wonyoungs. A single tear fell from Wonyoungs eye, shocked at the state of the girl in front of her. She opened before she could think, yelling the only thing on her mind across the field. 

"Yujin!"

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

-------

AN:

Thanks sm for reading this week's chapter >< Sorry for it being a little short :( But i think I got what I needed to get across for WYs arc/character development.

Wow, so Wonyoung has come to terms with her uality (or at least, liking YJ).  And whatever will happen to Yujin? Find out~