Unexpected Starts

Running for You

Jang Wonyoung opens her eyes to the morning sun. A lazy layer of dust floats along the rays of light seeping from her blinds.

Hugged by woolly bunny-themed pyjamas, she shifts her position to glance at the time. Squinting, the clock indicates itself to be around midday. Wonyoung lets out an irritated sigh. It's the 6th time this week she's woken up at lunchtime. And it's Saturday. Go figure.  

Becoming independent and living overseas had been a huge adjustment that she felt unprepared for. Eating as she felt, sleeping as she felt, and going outside as she felt did not compliment her previously healthy lifestyle, sustained under the careful watch of experienced parents. The previously loved, sheltered, and hard-working Wonyoung felt foreign to this new, rather lazy, Wonyoung. No work, no articles, and no gossip to worry about. "It's better than any prescription I can give you" her Docter had told her before she left Korea over a month ago. Fresh air and new experiences would leave her better than ever. 

Dragging her limbs from her bed, she makes her way to her wardrobe. If there's one thing Jang Wonyoung is confident in, it's fashion. Adorned by sunglasses and a trendy new skirt, she walks through the countless reporters flashing their cameras at her. Not breaking her stride, an exclusive Tweed Jacket hangs off her shoulders almost effortlessly. A pricey mini bag swings from her arm as if it's cold, uninviting metal is the only thing to seek reassurance in within this chaos. Putting on her best smile, she turns her head to meet the press, only to find her dresser staring back. A moment of silence engulfed the room, as she realizes there is no one in there beside her. "Right..." thought Wonyoung, slightly flustered how quickly her imagination got away from her. "I'm not here to be Jang Wonyoung anymore. Not an actress, not a model, and not, whatever. Just... Wonyoung."

Collecting her mind, she closes her eyes and tries a grounding technique her Mother had taught her to use when she was nervous. "One deep breathe in... feel the space around you.... hold.... and-"

SMASH

Wonyoung whipped her head around, completely startled by this sudden intrusion into her serenity. A Football rolls to a stop by her foot. Looking up, a gaping hole in her window glares back at her, accompanied by the sight of several kids scrambling away from her apartment's vicinity. Uncertainly, she first approached the window to scope the damage. To be quite honest, Wonyoung was not concerned about the cost. After all, she is aware of the financial merits gained from her own hard work... all the more guilt for not working at this every moment. A shout from below her snaps her out of her thoughts.

"Sorry about that! I was trying... well, they were trying, those kids, I mean, to kick a football. I was trying to teach 'em, but well... I'm sure you can see where it went from there." A nervous but charming laugh left the owner's lips. Looking closer, Wonyoung observed a young college-aged girl with a wide grin and a strong build. Next to her cheek, Wonyoung could make out a dimple ("Cute", she mused), but she was unable to make out the girl's eyes because of a white hat covering her forehead. Wait a second... is that a Lions symbol on the girl's hat? Could it be? That was the mascot of her University! Finally, someone she might be able to consider her first American friend. Suddenly wide awake, Wonyoung shouted "Just a minute, I'll be down in a sec, let's talk then!".

She quickly threw on an oversized pringles T-Shirt, a pair of red shorts, and sped down the fire escape. Opening the service door, she was met with a cool breeze and ambient light spilling from the tree leaves. Wow... America could be rather quaint and charming at times. Turning around to meet the voice from earlier, she was met by a girl roughly around her age. Standing at nearly exactly the same height, Wonyoung could finally make out her eyes. They were big and cute and complimented her face shape, giving her a charmingly boyish look.

Breaking into a sheepish grin, the girl stuck out her hand. "Hi there, my name's Yujin. And sorry about your window by the way... I'll find a way to cover the costs" She moves her eyes upwards to meet Wonyoungs. Suddenly reminded that she was just standing there, Wonyoung quickly grabs her hand and shakes it. "Hi Yujin." She smiles. "My name's Wonyoung. And uh, no worries about the window by the way. I'm from Korea, and I recently moved here to attend University. I'm enrolled at Lions University, are you..." she pauses, hoping Yujin would understand the question. Yujin makes an "o" with before excitedly grabbing the top of her hat. "Yeah, I'm attending Lions too! Are you as well?" Wonyoung lets out a refreshing giggle at Yujins antics before answering "Yup. I'm studying fashion and acting. I plan to be a designer once I graduate. As for acting... uhm.." Wonyoung falters as her mind catches up to her. Painful memories flash in front of her eyes.

She remembers sitting at home, talking to her manager on the phone with one hand and with her script gripped in the other. "I just can't... I just can't do this anymore. Acting, I mean. I loved it, and I remember the joy it brought me when I was younger, but I just don't feel as passionate about it as I did before." She takes a shaky breath before continuing. "None of my roles feel suited to me anymore. It's like I'm living in the shadow of who I used to be. I can't keep lying to myself." A single tear runs down her face. "I'm an actress, but I can't keep pretending I haven't been living the past few years as a make-pretend version of me. I can't bring myself to like acting anymore. The gossip, the spotlight, it's making me miserable. I hope you understand, Manager. I don't know what else to do... I want to take a break." 

Shaking her head, Wonyoung regains her posture and slaps on her stunning smile at full blast. Yujins cheeks, now appearing tinted with pink, quickly let go of the hand she was shaking before, opting to swing her arms awkwardly at her side while her eyes drift in any direction but Wonyoungs face.

Wonyoung continues. "So, Football, huh? I guess that's why you were teaching those kids before." Wonyoung lets out a laugh which resembles the feeling of a fresh summer's breeze. "Yeah, yeah... uhm" Yujin shakes her head, looking flustered. "I'm actually aiming for the major leagues. I've played Football my whole life, it's just something I've never lost a passion for." Her eyes suddenly light up. "Every time I think about standing in front of thousands of people to show them how I shine at playing Football, it's the best feeling ever. It feels like a privilege to be paid for such an opportunity." She laughed. Wonyoung felt taken aback. In a way, she and Yujin were polar opposites. Yujin was doing everything to achieve what shes aspiring for, while Wonyoung was doing everything she could to run away from it.

"Hey, Wonyoung, there's actually going to be a thing down the beach tonight, all the Freshmen at Lions are gonna be there. It's kind of like a mixer, but for meeting new friends." She pauses, suddenly feeling nervous. "Uhm, I was wondering if I'd see you there?" She hesitates, but Wonyoung answers instantly. "Of course! Do you want to go together?" Yujin smiles like she's never been happier. "A done deal. I'll meet you out here at 7:00?" Wonyoung giggles. "Yes, of course. I can't wait. See you then, Yujin"

Wonyoung turns on her heels back to her apartment. Her hair swishes behind her as she walks with an undeniable air of confidence. Sighing, Yujin watches the girl disappeared behind the closed door. "I'm so tragic" She mumbles to herself. "Of course I had to break the window of the prettiest girl in the neighborhood." Yujins sighs wearily.

But deep down, Yujin had a feeling this might be a blessing rather than a curse.