Chapter 1

Dear, Irene
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was the day. 

 

Irene would finally start reading the letters Wendy had written her. She doesn't even know when the younger had managed to, considering that Irene was with her every second that she was able. Still, clutching the envelope in her hand, she takes a deep breath, knowing the onslaught of tears that will come the moment she starts reading. 

 

Taking one more moment to compose herself, she opens it.

 

Dear, Irene.

 

When I first saw you, it was love at first sight.


 

 

 

 

Senior year, graduation.

 

"Unnie, do you believe in love at first sight?"

 

No matter how many times I saw you, I fell in love everytime our eyes met, or when you talked the way you do. Every time I was near you, my heart felt like it was gonna explode.

 

Irene stared at the figure in front of her, her heart beating rapidly inside her chest. "No." She replied. Irene watched as the girl reddened a little, clearly out of embarrassment; but the girl didn't retract her words.

 

"Really? That's a shame, because I do." She continued. "Because I think I've liked you since freshman year."

 

The older one let out a little huff, looking away. The girl shyly shifted in her place before suddenly offering Irene a bouquet of carnations, red ones, Irene noticed. Irene recognized them almost immediately, she’s good at pretty much everything she’s told to do. She has a photographic memory, eloquence, and the looks to match it all. But there were things her books or her research couldn’t cover, and that was things like receiving gifts, or having a blushing, small, hamster looking girl in front of you. 

 

“You’ve never escaped my mind since, unnie.” She declared.

 

Beat.

 

There were a few seconds of complete silence, the only sounds were the distant voices of the school. They stared at each other, before Irene sighed. 

 

“Wendy, you’ve told me this exact monolog 369 times over the past year. I’ve memorized it by now.”

 

“Did it work this time?” Wendy replied with enthusiasm, watching Irene with excited eyes. The latter becomes confused.

 

“What worked this time?”

 

“Did my words reach you this time?” Wendy said. Irene’s shoulders lowered, not finding amusement in the girl’s pep. For all the times Wendy had recited the words she had just said, she’s sure that Wendy has also memorized her response every time.

 

“No.”

 

Wendy pouted. “Darn.” She mumbled, sulking. She looked incredibly bummed out by it, but by Irene’s hunch, Wendy was gonna bounce back and start clinging to her again, as she always did. And with the way Wendy’s eyes narrowed, seemingly discouraged eyes lit up once again, she knew she was right. 

 

“I guess I’ll try again next time.”

 

“As you always do.” Irene replied in her monotone voice. She always pretended like she didn't like it, but the red hue of her ears said otherwise. Wendy grinned at her cheekily, their eyes meeting. The breeze that swept them off their feet felt nice, and Irene swore she felt a tingling blooming in her chest when Wendy’s smile met her eyes, and she laughed that hearty laugh of hers, so full of life and warmth.

 

“Unnie, the flowers,” That was what took Irene back to real life, looking at Wendy’s stretched hands, wordlessly taking them in hers. 

 

Red carnations…. Sweet, total admiration for someone.

 

“You like the color red, right, unnie? That’s why I picked them for you myself. The owner told me to give them to someone really special, and it just reminded me of you.” Irene had to hide her snicker. The giver didn’t even know the meaning of what she was giving. Well, she shouldn’t have expected much - while not a bad student, Wendy is average in academics, scoring Cs and Bs at best. 

 

“They’re pretty.” 

 

And every time you said something or complimented what I had done, I felt happy. It would light my day up. And it was nice. No matter what, when or where we were, I was happy. Cause I was with you.

 

“Just like you.” Wendy said boldly, staring in awe as the dark haired beauty admired the blooming red flowers.

 

Irene smiled, turning her gaze to Wendy.

 

And when you smiled at me…. God, I can't even describe it.

 

“Thank you.” Irene took a step closer to Wendy, making Wendy seize up, suddenly nervous to have her crush in closer proximity. “You’re very pretty too.” Wendy could feel her entire body heat up at the compliment, but before she could reply, she heard someone call for Irene. 

 

“Gotta go.” It was for a split second, but she swore she saw Irene’s face change. A few moments earlier, it was like she was finally getting Irene to lighten up. But the sudden call back to duty had gotten Irene’s walls back up. Before Wendy could call out to her, Irene was gone. And a frown returned to her lips. Irene just had to be super freaking smart and become valedictorian, didn’t she?

 

But as blissful as our moments together were, you had a knack for disappearing often.

 

Wendy sat with the rest of her classmates in front of the huge stage. Wendy hadn’t been paying that much attention to anything, showing mild awareness on occasion whenever a teacher, or the principal would step up to the stage and start their disquisition. She looked around, immediately noticing Irene as she sat with the rest of the honor students, a little jealous that they could converse in the middle of this boring, dragged out graduation of theirs. Why couldn’t the teachers just say a few things, a few thanks, then call Irene? Now there would be someone she’d be willing to actually listen to.

 

The girl beside her, Nayeon, laughed along with a friend of hers, who Wendy recognized as Momo. Looking to the other side, the person sitting next to her, Wheein, was talking to someone else too. She felt a little invisible being in the middle and yet still seeming so unseen. She was by no means a loner, but the undivided attention she’d showered Irene had created a small wall between her and her other classmates, except for a few, who’d drilled her walls down and made a hole shaped in their frame. 

 

“Wannie!” 

 

In this case, a Seulgi shaped hole. 

 

Wendy turned to the hushed whisper, finding her best friend frantically waving at her, before being slapped on the shoulder by the person she was sitting with. It was Joy, the girl Seulgi was always with if she wasn't with her. They’ve been some sort of trio since Wendy had gotten to know them, but she knew that Joy had feelings for her dense bear like friend; with this knowledge, she’d decided to stay just right in their orbit, close, but not too.

 

When Wendy had turned back, about to look at Irene, she realized that the little greeting with Seulgi had made her completely ignore that Irene was already called on stage. Her posture straightened up as the mic picked up Irene clearing a little, already feeling super inspired when the valedictorian had said nothing.

 

“Good afternoon.” Irene started, scanning the entire vicinity with hawk-like eyes. "I would like to start my speech by thanking the school administration, for upholding the rules and regulations of this fine establishment…” There was a moment when Wendy started to daydream, Irene’s voice becoming a muffled noise as she stared at the valedictorian. She sighed dreamily, resting her chin against her palm. Those past thoughts that she'd pay very close attention once Irene came up had made her a little silly for being so silly when it came to Irene.

 

As Irene towered over everyone on her small w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter