The Object of Envy

Love Me Another Way
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun is still out filming a commercial one Tuesday evening and the four of them finally has the chance to gather around, drinking and chatting while celebrating the release of Seungwan's solo album that came out the day before. 

 

"Was it during filming the MV when you two had to kiss each other?" Sooyoung asks, wiggling her eyebrows.

 

"We didn't kiss." Seulgi answers lazily, drinking more of her beer so she can use the can to cover the blush that is threatening to appear on her face.

 

"But Joohyun-unnie said it was a year ago while Monster happened in early May. What happened a year ago?" Yerim wracks her brain, trying to come up with the exact moment Seulgi developed feelings for their leader.

 

"Was it a specific moment, though?" Seungwan jumps in. "I mean, if unnie treats me the way she treats you, I'd probably fall for her at some point too."

 

When Sooyoung giggles at Seungwan's words and Yerim fakes a cough while saying "teacher's pet", Seulgi looks around confused. "What do you mean?"

 

"What do you mean what do you mean?" Sooyoung looks at her like Seulgi has just said something incredibly offensive. "Unnie, you do know that she treats you differently, right?"

 

Seulgi furrows her eyebrows and Yerim once again calling her teacher's pet while faking another cough. "Shut up! She's nicer to me because I'm nicer to her and I treat her with respect, unlike you." She spats jokingly to the youngest person in the room.

 

"Hey, I'm very nice to her and I treat her with the utmost respect too." Seungwan protests.

 

"And she favours you too!"

 

"No, no, no, no, we're not the same, you and I." Seungwan wiggles her finger teasingly.

 

The girls then go around sharing small and big things that they consider as proofs of Joohyun's favoritism towards her. Seulgi is sure they are just teasing her at first, but the more she hears, the more embarrassed she is that her ears turn red, resulting in her getting teased even more.

 

"Remember that Beyoncé LP that she won that she gave to you in the end?" Yerim pulls yet another receipt when Seungwan and Sooyoung are finally out of ammunition. "I watched her waiting for you to go shower so she could secretly put it in your room." Yerim giggles at the memory.

 

"The one where you begged for it on broadcast but she didn't want to give it to you?" Seungwan questions with agape. When Seulgi nods, she shakes her head. "I don't understand her sometimes. She doesn't even care about Beyoncé. It's obvious she would have given it to you but why did she have to make it a secret instead of giving it to you in front of the camera? It'd be seen as a sweet gesture and your fans would certainly eat it up."

 

"I think we've established that Joohyun-unnie is a tsundere. That's just what tsunderes do." Yerim chuckles.

 

"Honestly though, I think Joohyun-unnie likes you that way too." Sooyoung says with a serious face.

 

"Sooyoung, don't be crazy." Seulgi sighs at the idea, picking up a cushion so she has something to hug.

 

"Her behaviour is just unexplainable. I've noticed this since a long time ago but I never pointed it out because it seemed absurd. However, after knowing that you actually feel that way towards her, it doesn't seem so impossible now." Sooyoung says, swirling her can of beer like it was a glass of wine.

 

Seungwan can't help but nodding her head agreeingly while Seulgi is doing the exact opposite, shaking her head profusely. "It is impossible."

 

Sooyoung continues without paying her any attention. "You two act like a couple sometimes and I have to admit that you actually look good together. I think everybody agrees; all the oppas and unnies, our fans, even the company. We have always known that there is something really special between you two."

 

"Yeah, like when we're all together but they're busy in their own world, it's kinda adorable yet annoying both at the same time." Seungwan chuckles. "It's also cute that they're very different people but they clicked so well."

 

Seulgi wishes she could believe them but the reality isn't all rainbow and unicorn as how her friends imagined. "You have no idea how quick she just shut me down when I first told her. The first thing that came out of was asking me if I was drunk even though I wasn't drinking. That was how ridiculous she thought of it."

 

Sooyoung raises one eyebrow. "Maybe she was panicking?"

 

"No, she was really calm the first time. Like she was talking to a child who wasn't making any sense." Seulgi tries to recall their conversation that day. "And then the next day when we talked again, it was almost like she was pitying me. You know, when you have to reject someone you care about but has no interest in?"

 

Sooyoung shrugs while still trying to convince her. "Well, the reality is that she sees you like you hung the moon and the stars in her sky."

 

Seulgi rolls her eyes at the exaggeration. "But her actions says otherwise. If she really feels the same way why would she reacted that way? She was actually angry when she found out that I still have feelings for her all this time."

 

"Angry how?" Seungwan asks, with sympathy and curiousity.

 

"No, not really angry that way, she was really kind and understanding about it from the start, but there was this moment when she got really frustated, I think. Not her fault though, I've probably crossed a line." She sighs. 'Fix this, Seulgi.' Joohyun's cold voice still hurts her. If only she knew how to fix her feelings.

 

She must have looked really pathetic that Seungwan caresses her head gently. "Don't feel too bad about it. If there's one thing I'm sure about in this life is that Joohyun-unnie loves you. She might lose her cool sometimes, but she can never really be angry at you."

 

Yerim nods her head agreeingly while Sooyoung apparently hasn't given up yet on her conspiracy theory, now being more serious than teasing. "What if she's just trying to be responsible, as the leader of the group and also as our unnie. She wants to protect us, protect you and protect herself. Who knows, she might have been repressing her feelings for you this whole time too, we all know how good she is at masking her feelings."

 

Hearing that, Seungwan takes a deep breath and exhales loudly. "If it's true then I couldn't imagine how torturous it must have been for her. To have to keep it all a secret all this time and not be able to reciprocate even if she feels the same."

 

Seulgi wishes they would stop talking because she can feel her head spinning and it makes her want to vomit. 'What if?'

 

"Listen Unnie, I just want to put this out there. If she feels the same about you and you two want to date, you have my full support." Sooyoung suddenly says with a smirk on her face. The smirk is annoying, but her eyes look genuine.

 

Seulgi snaps her head, looking at her in horror. "Park Sooyoung, what are you talking about? No one said anything about dating. Are you crazy?"

 

"I agree." Seungwan smiles at her. "I have to admit that it'll be weird at first, but who cares, as long as you two are happy."

 

"Are you two being serious right now?" Yerim looks at them like the two have just committed murder. "Dating within the group is never gonna work. Can you imagine how awkward it would be if they broke up?"

 

"They've been acting like a married couple since forever. Haven't you watched their reality show?" Sooyoung stifles her laugh. "I honestly think you two can last a long, long time as a couple, Unnie."

 

Yerim shows her displeasure but the other two don't care.

 

"Yeah, I also trust that you two are mature enough to not let personal things affect the group." Seungwan adds with a supportive smile.

 

"Unnies, seriously?" Yerim tries again. "Have you already forgotten how unhinged Joohyun-unnie was that night?"

 

"Right, that was so weird." Sooyoung comments excitedly, totally ignoring Yerim's point for bringing it up. "But it just further strengthens my suspicision that she is indeed in love with you. She was so worried about you and was ready to slap the out of all of us because poor Ddeulgi was alone and has no one to talk to. Boohoo." She mocks with an annoying aegyo.

 

"Shut up, Park Sooyoung!" Seulgi pushes her away and throws a cushion at her, it bounces back to her lap. 

 

"Why don't we.. you know, like give her hints or something that we're okay with this?" Seungwan suggests when Sooyoung is done laughing maniacally.

 

Seulgi whines at the idea. "Seungwan, no! I have no intention to-"

 

"I'm not okay with this." Yerim interjects.

 

Sooyoung grabs the cushion from Seulgi's lap and throws it at the maknae. "Kim Yerim, what is it with you? Why do you despise love?"

 

"I told you it's weird-" Yerim doesn't get to finish her thought as they hear the sound of the digital door lock beeping.

 

All four of them stretch their necks to see Joohyun making her way into the house. She takes off her shoes, putting them in the rack and helps tidying some of the girls' shoes that are scattered messily on the floor. She then walks further into the house and sees the four of them sitting in the living room, looking at her with suspicious faces.

 

"Are you guys talking about me?" She asks calmly as she keeps walking. When met with nothing but silence, Joohyun stops on her track, looking at them amused. "I was just joking but it seemed like you guys were talking about me."

 

"Unnie, we're not talking about you." Seulgi quickly steps up. "I was just sharing things with them.. about.. that."

 

She gives a small chuckle. "Okay. I'm glad you did." She then looks to the other three. "Just don't gang up on me, okay?"

 

They laugh and immediately plegde allegiance to her playfully.

 

"Unnie, join us." Seungwan asks.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter