Chapter 6

All's Well That Ends Well
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaeyoung's blonde hair glimmered under the dim yellow light, her brown eyes carrying so much sincerity –

 

"Unnie, let me take care of you."

 

And that soft, warm smile – the wordless understanding as Chaeyoung patted Suzy’s head.

.

.

.

.

.

"Earth to Suzy?" her manager waved a hand over Suzy's face, breaking her staring contest with the wall.

 

"Huh?" Suzy snapped out of her reverie. "Sorry, unnie, what were you saying?"

 

Jihyun stared at her with equal mix of exasperation and amusement. "Geez, I've been blabbering about your new commercial offer for an hour already, and you weren’t even listening! What got you so distracted anyway?"

 

Chaeyoung, Suzy inwardly groaned. Chaeyoung got me distracted.

 

Her fever was gone days ago, but the way the blonde took care of her was now permanently imprinted in Suzy’s mind, playing like a broken record on repeat.

 

The fever definitely fried her brain.

 

"Are you daydreaming about your girlfriend again?" Jihyun teased.

 

“Girlfriend? Chaeyoung and I are just friends!"

 

"Interesting that you thought of her when I didn’t mention any names" Jihyun grinned at how Suzy fell right into the trap. "So you guys are friends now, huh? It's been a long time since you called someone that – well, aside from me of course."

 

Suzy playfully rolled her eyes at her manager. Although admittedly, she was also surprised by herself.

 

Friendship – that's what Chaeyoung offered so willingly.

 

And despite her initial plan to keep Chaeyoung at a distance, the girl has slowly but surely seeped through Suzy’s wall.

 

Frankly, Suzy is lost. She was never good with keeping people – be that platonic or not – and a time bomb is already ticking in her head when this relationship would end.

 

Suzy's phone lit up with an incoming message. She opened it while Jihyun went on about the contract –

 

Chaeyoung: Unnie, look at this handsome boy I’ve met today!

 

The second message showed a photo of Chaeyoung hugging a golden retriever, grinning from ear to ear while the puppy her cheeks. Her eyes were twinkling, and the excitement was palpable through the screen.

 

Suzy’s lips tugged upward at the photo.

 

"Hello? Are you even paying attention?" Jihyun sighed, already giving up on getting Suzy's attention. "Never mind, just sign this contract. I've reviewed all details beforehand anyway."

 

Suzy took the pen, a faint smile still adorning her face. Jihyun noted this with interest, "you look happier by the way."

 

"I do?"

 

Jihyun hummed, and the actress let her thoughts wander. It’s true that she hasn't felt this light for the longest time.

 

Suzy is still hesitant, but Chaeyoung – she makes it easier.
 

 


---------------------

 

 



"Lisaaa" Chaeyoung whined, giving a patented pout that could have made any fangirl or fanboy faint. Unfortunately, her best friend was immune to it.

 

"No Chae, that won't work on me! Stop it!" Lisa covered her eyes while turning away.

 

"I'm really sorry that I stood you up a few days ago, something urgent came up. Stop giving me the silent treatment please."

 

"Apology not accepted, Chae. You know how excited I was about trying that new Korean barbecue place!"

 

"I know! Let me make up to you, let’s go today. Forgive me, please?"

 

"Uh" Lisa rolled her eyes, and Chaeyoung knew that she already conceded. "What happened anyway? It's unusual for you to suddenly go missing."

 

"Umm..." Chaeyoung faltered, images of how she took care of Suzy flashed in her mind. She even spent the night there – cooking a hearty breakfast for Suzy after making sure that her fever has subsided.

 

"You're hiding something" Lisa's squinted at Chaeyoung, then her eyes suddenly widened. "Did you go on a date!?"

 

"W-what?"

 

"Oh my god, you did go on a date!" Lisa shouted. "Who was it? Is it someone from your new drama? Don't tell me you had a date with Lee Min Ho!"

 

"With Minho oppa? No!"

 

"Huh" Lisa tilted her head, and the blonde felt like a suspect being interrogated. "If not Minho…then who is it?"

 

"There’s no one!"

 

"Wait. It's Suzy, isn't it?"

 

"Suzy? Pffft – that's so funny!" Chaeyoung attempted to act nonchalant, but ended up with an awkward high-pitched laugh instead. "Umm –"

 

"It's totally Suzy!"

 

"No, we didn't go on a date! I just took care of her because she fainted, okay?" Chaeyoung blurted out. She then frowned as she remembered Suzy’s pale face, making a mental note to force the actress to take more breaks so it won’t happen again.

 

"Aww, our Chaeyoung is such a caring girlfriend."

 

"Lisa, we're just friends! Nothing happened!"

 

"But I know that look" Lisa smirked as she gestures up and down. "You wish something did, don't you?"

 

"Th-that didn't even cross my mind. I was too worried to think of anything else..." Chaeyoung stammered out.

 

After a moment, she added in a sad voice, "plus unnie is not interested on me like that."

 

Sensing Chaeyoung's mood dipped, Lisa stopped joking and placed a comforting hand on her best friend’s shoulder. "C’mon, you won't know until you try right?"

 

"Nah, she only sees me as a hubae. And honestly, I'm okay with it! I’m already contented that I get to spend more time with her.”

 

"Chae, what did we say about being more confident?"

 

"No Lisa, this is different. We don't even know if she likes girls or not, let alone be interested in me. What unnie needs now is a friend, and I can be that."

 

“Still –”

 

“It’s alright, Lisa.”

 

"Okay..." Lisa stayed mum, looking worriedly at her best friend who always loves so freely. After a few seconds, she suggested, "tell you what, why don't you invite Suzy to dinner with us?"

 

"What, why?"

 

"Nothing, I just want to see Nation's first love in person" Lisa shrugged. And make sure she won't hurt you, went unspoken.

 

"Uh, I'm not sure if unnie will like that..."

 

"Just try it! I promise we'll be super nice and she'll have a good time! I’m sure Jennie and Jisoo wants to meet her too, especially since you’ve been gushing about her since day one.”

 

"Hey, I don’t gush about her! I was just explaining how amazing she is –"

 

“That means the same thing. Plus, don't forget that you still owe me one after standing me up."

 

“But –”

 

"No more buts! Invite Suzy to dinner now or you'll be demoted from my best friend to a mere acquaintance!"

 

Lisa then grabbed Chaeyoung's phone, threatening to delete her own number and leaving no room for discussion.

 

"Fine. But I'll only try once. If she’s not free, then we'll give up."

 

Lisa nodded enthusiastically while Chaeyoung searches for Suzy’s number. She pressed the dial button and gripped her phone tightly. Please don't pick up, please don't pick up, please don’t pick up –

 

"Hello?"

 

Even through a device, Suzy's voice still made Chaeyoung’s heart felt like it could burst right through her chest

 

"Unnie! Uh, sorry for calling you suddenly, are you busy? I can call you again later if you are."

 

Out of the corner of her eyes, she saw Lisa stifling a laugh at how much of a nervous wreck she’s being.

 

"No, we can talk."

 

"Oh okay, umm, great! I was just wondering if you would like to go out with me?"

 

There was no response on the other line, and Chaeyoung began to panic at how her question sounded like.

 

"Uh, I mean, go out as friends! Like with my friends too! It's just, the other members of Blackpink wants to meet you too, since I've been talking about you nonstop – uh,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter