The tree

Last Christmas

On the next morning when Sowon opened her eyes she groaned, it was so bright in the living room compared to her room, she rolled herself in the blanket and suddenly realized her feet were covered, she sat down and saw her blanket, the one from her room. She got up and looked around, everyone was still asleep. She walked to her room and knocked lightly not wanting to wake Eunha’s up but still wanting her to hear if she was awake.

 

She heard a soft “Come in.”

 

Sowon opened the door and saw Eunha sitting up in bed. She was covered with the smaller blanket but as she was smaller it was covering her better.

 

“Did you exchange them during the night?” she asked as she brought the blanket with her and walked to the bed to cover Eunha with it.

 

“I went up to drink some water, saw you all curled up in that tiny blanket and I pitied you.” smiled Eunha and Sowon glared at her.

 

“Well thanks.” said Sowon as she smiled back.

 

“You girls are up already?” asked Sowon’s mother as she was standing with difficulty at the door frame.

 

“Yeah,” said Sowon walking to her mother to help her, “How do you feel this morning?” asked Sowon to her mom who smiled.

 

“I’m fine honey.” answered the old woman and Eunha got up to follow them in the living room. The short girl took the wheelchair and prepared it so Sowon could sit her mom in it. Even if she could walk, she was losing her balance more and more. Sowon saw her many times this week walking in the house while touching the walls or furniture to keep her balance. So it was safer for her to be in her wheelchair.

 

Without a word Sowon and Eunha prepared breakfast and they all sat down at the table to eat.

 

“I was thinking about going to buy the tree this morning.” said Sowon and her mother nodded. “I wanted to know if your dad still had his big car?” asked Sowon to Eunha who nodded. “Like that, mom can accompany us and we can carry the tree and the wheelchair.” explained the tall girl and Eunha nodded.

 

“It’s a good idea,” she said, “I need to go check on him anyway so it’s a good thing we stop by to take his car.”

 

“He won’t need it today?” asked Sowon but Eunha smiled and shook her head.

 

“No don’t worry, maybe if he’s motivated enough he will agree to accompany us,” said Eunha, her voice suddenly sounding sad.

 

Sowon’s mother put her hand on Eunha’s shoulder and looked at her. “I’m sure we can convince him to join us.” she said and Eunha nodded.

 

They finished eating and cleaned around, then Sowon helped her mother get dressed while Eunha showered. It had been a long time since Sowon’s mother left the house and she was ahpy to be all pretty to go out with the girls today. 

 

Once they were all ready, Sowon took out the car from the garage and Eunha pushed the wheelchair to the entrance but there were some steps. Sowon parked just in front of the house and ran out to help Eunha. Sowon went to help her mother stand while Eunha rolled the empty wheelchair down the 3 steps. Sowon held her mother so she could walk down the steps then she sat on her back and pushed her to the car.

 

Here again Sowon helped her mother into the passenger seat while Eunha put the wheelchair in the trunk with difficulty.

 

“Umm it’s not fitting.” said Eunha as the trunk wasn’t closing. Sowon finished to help her mother put on her seat belt, then she closed the passenger door and went to help Eunha.

 

“We will leave the trunk open, I will drive slowly.” said Sowon, seeing they couldn’t make it fit.

 

Eunha nodded and went to the back seat, from there she extended her arm behind and held the wheelchair in case it moved and fell from the car.

 

Sowon drove slowly till Eunha’s place. Eunha got down first and went inside to see her dad. Some minutes later Eunha came out followed by her dad. Sowon smiled as she saw him, he didn’t change much, he only got more grey hair, he smiled at them and walked to Sowon.

 

“It’s so nice to see you again.” said the man sincerely before he waved at Sowon’s mother, who was still sitting in the car.

 

“It’s nice seeing you again too.” said Sowon and he extended his arm, showing her the car keys. His car was longer, had more seats and a big trunk, it also had a car roof track so they could carry the christmas tree on top of the car easily. Sowon remembered the time he would let her borrow it to drive the girls around. 

 

“Here.” he said and Sowon took the keys.

 

“Thank you.” said Sowon and he patted her arm nicely before going to help Eunha with the wheelchair. 

 

Sowon went to help her mother out and walked her to the other car. She sat her while Eunha and her dad put the wheelchair in the trunk and this time it was fitting without any problem, there was even some free space left.

 

The man walked around and went to sit on the backseat. Eunha got closer to Sowon. “He doesn’t drive much since he doesn’t work anymore but he still loves his car so much and wouldn’t let anyone drive his car.”

 

Sowon looked surprised, “But he would often let me borrow it…”

 

Eunha smiled. “You always were the only one he would trust enough to drive his car.” she said and Sowon smiled.

 

“I kinda knew I was his favorite all this time.” she said, teasing Eunha who slapped her arm playfully.

 

“Stop saying nonsense and let’s go.” she said as opened the back door and went to sit beside her dad.

 

Sowon smiled and entered the car too. She started it and drove away. As they arrived they could see a sea of Christmas trees. Sowon’s mom was looking at the window and Sowon put her hand on her mother’s thigh, squeezing it gently.

 

“Feeling nice to get some fresh air?” she asked as she knew her mother hadn't left her house for some months as her body was becoming weak. The woman nodded and smiled.

 

As Sowon parked Eunha and her dad got out first and took out the wheelchair, Sowon got down and helped her mother, they sat her and Eunha’s father insisted on pushing her around as he was happy to feel useful again.

 

Eunha looked at him and smiled, he seemed so happy. “It’s been a long time I didn’t see him smile like this.” she said to Sowon who was standing beside her.

 

“My mom looks happy too.” she said then she locked the car and they walked behind following their parents.

 

As they walked through the place, Sowon wasn’t really looking at the tree, she was worried about her mom. Each day that passed Sowon could see her mother becoming weaker. She knew it was bad and that her mother was tired of fighting but Sowon wasn’t ready to let her go, she wasted so much time away and now that she was back she knew she would have to say goodbye for good soon.

 

Eunha took her arm. “You okay?” she asked softly and Sowon sighed.

 

“Not really…” she said honestly as they stopped walking and Eunha faced her.

 

“What’s going on in your head?” she asked and Sowon looked at her in the eyes.

 

“My mom… I’m worried, she’s not going well, she’s more and more tired, and more and more weak…” said Sowon and Eunha hugged her.

 

Sowon hugged her back, she needed that, it was so cold outside but Eunha’s hug warmed every part of her body. A sweet and warm feeling traversed her body and Sowon felt her muscles relaxing instinctively.

 

“She’s happy.” whispered Eunha. “She’s happy to have you around right now. You granted one of her biggest wishes, you are here for Christmas with her.” said Sowon. “She probably doesn't mind the pain as you are with her everyday.” she explained and Sowon nodded. “So don’t think too much, enjoy the time that you have with her and you will deal with the sadness later…” she said and Sowon nodded. “And remember that no matter what I will be by your side, she’s like a mother to me too.” added Eunha and Sowon hugged her tightly.

 

A man stood beside them and they slowly let go of each other but Eunha took Sowon’s arm in hers, staying close to her as they now faced the man. Sowon eyed him as he looked familiar but she didn’t say anything.

 

“Did you make your choice ladies?” he asked with a smile. Sowon looked around.

 

“Not yet, we will continue till we find the good one.” she said to him politely and he nodded.

 

“Okay, you can find me over there when your choice is made.” he said and Sowon nodded.

 

“Thank you.” said Eunha as they turned around and continued walking, they spotted their parents in another alley, facing a tree.

 

“Excuse me.” told them the guy, stopping them from leaving yet. “I think I know you, we were in the same english class in high school.” he said to Sowon who looked at him and nodded as she recognized him but wasn’t sure she remembered his name correctly.

 

“Yes, I was wondering why you looked familiar, but this town is so small.” she smiled at him. “It was such a long time ago.” she told him and he nodded.

 

“Well don’t hesitate to find me if you need anything.” he told her nicely and Sowon nodded.

 

The girls joined their parents and Sowon’s mother looked at her daughter. “Sowon honey, I was thinking that we should celebrate all together this year like before.” she said looking at Eunha and her father.  

 

“I won’t go see my mother this year, my brother and his kids will be there and I don’t want to see them.” explained Eunha’s father as they were not in good terms for years and so the years they were not visiting Eunha’s grandmother, they would spend it with Sowon and her mother. But since Sowon left, Eunha and her dad only celebrated with her once, the years they were not at Eunha’s grandma’s place Sowon’s mom was at the hospital so she really wanted some sort of normality while Sowon was back.  

 

“That’s a good idea.” said Sowon and Eunha smiled. “So it looks like you both made your choice?” asked Sowon pointing to the tree they were all standing in front of. Sowon’s mother nodded.

 

Sowon looked around and spotted the guy that talked to them before. “You both stay here, Eunha and I will get someone for the tree.” said Sowon and Eunha followed her, they waved at the guy as they walked to him.

 

“We made our choice.” said Sowon and he nodded, he turned to his coworker.

 

“I will take care of this cute couple, can you finish the paying with that old man over there?” he asked him and the other man nodded while walking away. “I’m all yours ladies.” he smiled and Sowon blushed as he referred to her and Eunha as a cute couple and hesitated to let go of Eunha’s hand but the short girl didn’t and Sowon must admit she was feeling good as they were holding hands. Sowon turned around and they all walked to the tree they chose.

 

The guy noted it and Sowon went to pay while the other followed the team that carried it to their car. Sowon stopped at the little cabin and waited to pay, the man entered the number of the tree in his machine and Sowon handed him her credit card.

 

“I will give you a 10% discount, as a thank you for the old good time, I know we were not friends or anything but I remember one day, you took my defense in class when some started annoying me and taking my notebooks.” he said and Sowon nodded remembering this moment, it was true that they never interacted but she hated this kind of attitude, and she hated the bullies so that day she stood up and took back the notebook to give it back to the guy, warning the other kids to leave him alone. She was quite tall and a good student, it surprised everyone to see her standing up to face the bullies but it seemed to scare them as they stopped annoying other classmates.

 

“Thank you.” said Sowon once it was done, the man smiled at her.

 

“You’re welcome, and a merry christmas to you and your girlfriend.” he said and Sowon blushed again.

 

“We actually aren’t together.” she said and he looked at her surprised.

 

“Oh I’m sorry, I really thought you were…” he said embarrassed. “I hope I didn’t offend you.” he said and Sowon shook her head. “It’s just that there were already some rumors about you and your friend when we were in high school so seeing you all close and all I thought it was official now or something.” he said and Sowon frowned.

 

"Rumors?" she asked him and he hesitated.

 

“You didn’t know?” he asked back and Sowon shook her head. “Some people were talking about you two, as you were super close, saying you were secretly dating and stuff like that.” he explained and Sowon sighed, she had no idea that there was rumors about her and Eunha in high school, it would have freaked her out if she had knew.

 

“Well we learn stuff everyday.” she told him and he seemed embarrassed, he apologized again and Sowon told him it was nothing, then she left.

 

As she arrived at the car her mother was sitting comfortably, the wheelchair was in the trunk and the tree tied on the roof of the car. Sowon took out the keys and Eunha and her dad entered the car.

 

Sowon drove back to her house, Eunha’s dad helped her carry the tree inside the house while Eunha helped Sowon’s mother to walk in then sat her on the couch. The woman was clearly exhausted from her little trip out, it was maybe a lot for one day. Eunha’s dad went to take out the wheelchair and bring it inside. Sowon took her mother and walked her to her room to make her rest some more.

 

She walked back to Eunha and her dad waiting in the living room.

 

“She’s so exhausted I think she will sleep all day…” she said and Eunha caressed her arm.

 

“She needs some rest, so we can decorate the house during that time.” she proposed and Sowon nodded. 

 

“You guys wanna eat with me, it will soon be lunch time.” she said and Eunha nodded.

 

“Go check the decorations in the garage while I prepare something to eat.” said Eunha and her dad followed her in the kitchen.

 

He sat at the table looking at his daughter cooking. After some minutes he spoke to his daughter. “You would make any man happy to marry you,” he said, “Your mother would be so proud of you.” he added sincerely. “You became an amazing woman even if I wish you could stay my little baby forever.” 

 

Eunha turned to him. “I will always be your little girl dad, and I’m not planning on marrying anyone, you know it, we already talked about that.” said Eunha and he nodded.

 

“But you deserve happiness and love.” he told her and Eunha sighed.

 

“Dad, please, don’t start with this.” she almost begged him and he nodded, not saying anything more.

 

Sowon who was back with the only box she found in the garage heard the discussion but didn’t want to interrupt, she waited a bit then walked to the kitchen putting the box on the table.

 

“Bad news, I only found those old decorations…” she said looking inside the box disappointed. “I really wanted to decorate the house beautifully for my mom.” she said and Eunha’s dad looked at Sowon.

 

“Why don’t you go buy some new ones?” he asked and Eunha nodded.

 

“He got a point, we could go this afternoon so we can let your mom rest.” she said and Sowon nodded.

 

“That would be perfect,” she said, putting away the box and joining Eunha in the kitchen. "Need a hand?” said Sowon looking at what Eunha was doing, she cleaned her hands and helped the short girl, Sowon really liked cooking with Eunha, if she was honest she loved doing anything with Eunha, Sowon loved it as long as she was with Eunha, as long as the girl was by her side. She took out a plate for Eunah to put the vegetable in and thought about what the guy told her earlier. There were rumors about them in high school. She wondered if Eunha was aware of them or not, if their friends heard about it or not and why she never heard of it herself…

 

“Careful.” said Eunha as Sowon was cutting some more meat. “Remember last time what happened to your finger.” smiled Eunha and Sowon nodded blushing a bit as she remembered their moment in the bathroom. She kinda wanted to cut herself again so Eunha would take care of her like the last time but she shook her head and focused on the cooking.

 

They set the table and started eating.

 

“Dad, you want to come with us to buy the decorations?” asked Eunha as she filled her dad’s plate again. She was very happy to see her dad in such a good mood and so outgoing, he lost contact with all his previous coworkers and friends once he lose his job and except for Eunha he wasn’t seeing anyone anymore, so seeing him with Sowon's mother today and interacting with Sowon was making her very happy.

 

Sowon looked at Eunha and saw how happy she was to be here with her dad.

 

“I don’t think I will come, I’m tired too and I don’t really like doing shopping.” he said laughing as Eunha rolled her eyes.

 

“It’s not like real shopping, it’s for christmas.” she told him and he shook his head.

 

“Knowing you, you will want to see everything and take so much time looking around, just like you do with clothes, always trying on everything and then at the last moment changing your mind and wanting to try something else.” said the man and Sowon giggled.

 

“He’s right, shopping with you is like hell Eunha, I remember how you would try many things, finally choose some clothes then as we were about to pay and leave you would change your mind, put down everything and look for something else!” said Sowon and Eunha’s father nodded agreeing with Sowon.

 

“Exactly Sowon, that’s totally Eunha, she was driving me crazy.” said the man and Sowon laughed some more with him while Eunha crossed her arms on her chest and pouted.

 

“Aww don’t be like that.” said Sowon standing up and going behind Eunha’s chair before hugging Eunha from behind in a big hug. “We still love you even if you take age shopping.” said Sowon and suddenly she froze realizing what she said, she let go of Eunha and cleared before taking the empty plates and bringing them to the sink. 

 

“So we drop your dad home, we take back my mom’s car and we go Christmas shopping?” asked Sowon from the kitchen as she was waiting for her cheeks to be less red. Sowon used to tell Eunha she loved her but she stopped saying it when she realized her feelings changed, Eunha would still say it but Sowon knew it was friend love while she was feeling a stronger love and she felt weird to say it. And right now it was still weird saying she loved Eunha, because she was still loving her in that way she shouldn't, and because their relationship was still a mess and they needed to talk but Sowon didn’t have the heart to face this right now.

 

Being close to Eunha again was making her so confused. She was feeling all those feelings so strongly again and her mind and heart were going crazy making her do crazy things.

 

Eunha walked to her with the other plates and put them in the sink. “You okay?” she asked Sowon who nodded…

 

On their wait at the mall Eunha looked at Sowon and hesitated. “You know, you just bought the tree so I can help you buy the decoration if you want.” she said and Sowon frowned.

 

“That’s okay, I got a discount on the tree because of that guy that knew us, and I saved some money.” she informed Eunha but the short girl insisted.

 

“Seriously Sowon, I love your mom a lot and I would be glad to help and participate in making her Christmas amazing…” said Eunha sincerely.

 

Sowon parked in front of the mall and turned off the engine, she looked at Eunha and sighed. “Well if you insist we can share the expenses.” said Sowon, “But you don’t have to if you don’t want to.” she added and Eunha hit her arm.

 

“I just told you I wanted to help.” said Eunha and Sowon smiled at her.

 

“You already helped her so much that I can't even think about a way to thank you.” said Sowon sincerely.

 

Eunha looked down and hesitated. “There’s actually something…” she said shyly and Sowon swallowed hard, waiting for Eunha to tell her what she was thinking about. “I thought about what you told me about my dad’s job at the factory. I talked about it with him and what affected him the most isn’t the money even if he’s feeling guilty I dropped out of university to help him, but it’s his reputation, he never made any mistakes in his job and he hate that they made him agree to this agreement and putting the fault on him when he did his job right all his life.” explained Eunha.

 

“You want me to help him fight the factory in justice?” asked Sowon unsure and Eunha nodded.

 

“Maybe not all the way, many people still work there and I don’t want the factory to close if a good lawyer can prove they messed up but I want to give my dad what he deserves, clearing his name in some sort of way.” said Eunha sincerely, “And I was hoping you could help me. I mean I know I got mad at you when you talked about that last time but it was so sudden and we kinda just met again and-”

 

“Of course I will help you Eunha,” cut Sowon with a big smile, “I would do anything for you or your dad.” she said and Eunha seemed reassured.

 

“Thank you.” said Eunha, relieved and Sowon took her hand in hers.

 

“You don’t have to thank me.” she told her and Eunha looked up at her with a smile, their eyes met and Sowon felt her breath taken away. Eunha was just so beautiful, she wondered how she did to spend so much time away from the short girl, how she could be so sweet and lovely to her knowing she hurt her in the past. She felt so lucky to see that Eunha was putting all this behind them for now and was doing her best to give Sowon’s mother a good moment.

 

Sowon wanted to talk to Eunha, apologize for her mistakes, for leaving like that, for running away from her feelings but she wasn’t sure how to explain all this, she was scared to ruin what they were sharing right now, this friendship they created again. The tall girl wasn’t sure she could risk it all again after getting back close to Eunha. Of course she knew that they would need to talk at some point but Sowon hoped they would push this conversation away as much as possible and enjoy the moment they were living in the present.

 

But something was still bugging her and as they were walking in the mall, choosing decorations, Sowon thought about Eunha’s talk with her dad.

 

“Eunha?” asked Sowon while the short girl was puting some nice light garlands in their shopping cart.

 

“What?” asked the short girl as she continued to look at the decorations.

 

“Can I ask you a personal question?” asked Sowon and Eunha turned to look at her.

 

“Yes,” said Eunha, a bit unsure.

 

Sowon hesitated. “It’s just that I heard you tell your dad earlier… I heard that you didn’t want to marry anyone.” started Sowon and Eunha bit her lips together. “And it hit me that you were single, and I was wondering how it was possible…” said Sowon and Eunha looked at her.

 

“So you were spying on us?” she asked and Sowon felt embarrassed suddenly.

 

“What no no, I just heard you as I walked back from the garage.” immediately explained Sowon and Eunha giggled. 

 

“I was teasing you Sowon.” said Eunha and Sowon relaxed.

 

“So… did you date anyone all these years?” she asked shyly and Eunha looked down.

 

“I did date some people, like everyone. I guess I experimented in university and all but I was not in love with them.” said Eunha as she turned back to look at the decorations and put another one in the cart.

 

Sowon felt a by sick to hear that Eunha had been with some people, she was a bit jealous but she new she didn’t have the right to be, it wasn’t like Eunha was hers, she abandoned her a long time ago and Eunha’s dad was right she deserved love and Sowon started to wonder if the short girl didn’t deserve someone way better than her.

 

“You are lost in thoughts again.” said Eunha as she stood beside Sowon. “I used to wonder what was going on in your mind when we were younger, you would zone out often and I knew a lot was happening in there.” she said patting Sowon’s head softly. “I wanted to read your mind and help you clear your thoughts but you never let me in, you never really told me about the important stuff annoying you at that time…” said Eunha a bit sad then she walked around and Sowon sighed.

 

How could she share her thoughts with her best friend when all the thoughts were about her…

 

Sowon followed Eunha, she wanted to tell her that she wished she could have shared her thoughts at that time but suddenly Eunha’s phone rang. The short girl took the call with a worried expression.

 

“We are coming immediately.” she said before hanging up and looking at Sowon. “Your mother, she’s at the hospital.” said Eunha and they left the cart before leaving the mall to drive quickly to the hospital.