The reality

Last Christmas

As the girls started eating Eunha explained to Sowon the situation, she told her about the day she found her unconscious in the house, then the multiple trips to hospital to do exams and find out what was wrong, then the verdict. 

Then Eunha told Sowon about the therapy, how it was hard for the woman and tiring, how much energy it was asking and in this state she didn’t have enough energy, she also explained how every time they hoped the tumor was reduced they discovered that a smaller one grew instead.

 

“That's when I started to insist that she call you, I tried but you never answered.” explained Eunha. “But months were passing by and I knew she still didn’t have the courage to call you, she kept telling me she didn’t want to put that burden on you and I did insist so much for her to still let you know…” said Eunha looking down sadly.  “After some time they just decided there was nothing more to do, your mom couldn't handle more therapy and more operations. So I insisted again, everyday, but she kept refusing to involve you in this. Then recently the doctor said her state was only becoming worse and that it was maybe her last christmas, he’s not sure she will survive the year so I didn’t let her the choice, she couldn’t lose her chance to spend her last christmas with her daughter so I insisted again and I took her phone, and called you then put the phone in her hands before leaving hoping she would really tell you this time.” 

 

Sowon swallowed hard, she was mad at Eunha for not letting her know before but the girl actually tried her best to contact her and was the one forcing her mom to call her… 

 

“I know both of you would regret it, I didn’t have the choice but to force her,” said Eunha. “She mentioned the other day you would come back for christmas but I didn’t really thought you would arrive that soon, it's not even December yet.”

 

Sowon looked up. “Thanks to you I’m here then… I can’t believe she didn’t want to let me know.” said Sowon thinking about everything Eunha told her. “But who decided it was over for her?” Asked now Sowon. “Maybe we can try a new sort of therapy, I know they test new ways to heal tumors.” said Sowon hopeful. “Maybe if I talk to her doctor we can do something.”

 

“Sowon.” said Eunha, taking Sowon’s hand in hers to get the tall girl's attention. “Your mother and her doctor made that decision, you have no right to arrive and decide for her…” said Eunha frowning.

 

“You can’t ask me to just give up.” answered Sowon.

 

“You have no idea what she went through already, she suffered so much they did everything they could Sowon, there’s nothing you can do now…” insisted Eunha more softly and Sowon took her face in her hands to cry.

 

“I just can’t believe it..” sobbed Sowon and Eunha stood up to hug Sowon.

 

“Here, it’s okay, you are by her side now, you will be there for her last christmas it’s everything she’s dreaming of, being with you and create new good memories before leaving…” said Eunha caresing Sowon’s hair and keeping her close while Sowon gripped Eunha’s arm while crying.

 

“This is really what she wants?” asked Sowon sobbing and Eunha nodded.

 

“Yeah she keeps talking about how much you both love christmas and that she wants the perfect holiday to celebrate with you.” said Eunha and Sowon nodded while not letting go of Eunha. It was so peaceful in the short girl's arms, so relaxing and reassuring. 

 

“She wanted us to decorte before your arrival but you arrived so early that we didn’t start yet.” said Eunha calmly and as Sowon calmed down Eunha let go of her, they both looked at each other and blushed. Eunha cleared and sat back on her chair.

 

“Maybe I can come back tomorrow after work so I will help you decorate.” said Eunha hopeful and Sowon nodded.

 

“That’s a good idea.” she said and Eunha smiled at the tall girl. 

 

They kept eating when Eunha sighed. “Sowon…” she started and the tall girl looked at her. “Don’t you think we should talk…”

 

“We just did.” answered Sowon but Eunha looked up at her.

 

“I mean about us…” she added and Sowon swallowed hard.

 

“It’s not the right time Eunha…” said Sowon looking up at Eunha who nodded seeing how Sowon was already worried about her mother.

 

They finished eating and Eunha helped Sowon clean up the table and the kitchen. The short girl was way more comfortable in the kitchen and Sowon realized that she must have spent many hours cooking here with her mother. 

 

Before leaving Eunha gave Sowon some more advices for this night making sure Sowon would be prepared for a crisis or anything. When she finally left Sowon went closer to her mom and sat in the living room to be around when her mother would wake up.

 

On the next morning when Sowon opened her eyes, her mother wasn’t on the couch anymore, she had a blanket on her shoulders and the sun was so strong that it blinded her. Sowon took her phone and realized she slept late, it was almost noon. 

 

She got up and brushed her eyes, her mother was in the kitchen, warming the left over from yesterday. Sowon greeted her and smiled seeing her mother seemed to be doing better than the day before.

 

“Did you sleep well?” asked the older woman and Sowon nodded.

 

“Like a baby.” she said getting closer and helping her mom who thanked her and went to sit back in the wheelchair a bit. “It’s been a long time since I didn't get a full night of sleep like that.” explained Sowon and her mother opened her arms so Sowon didn’t hesitate and went to hug her.

 

“What is that?” asked Sowon pointing to a backpack on the table.

 

“Oh, Eunha passed by this morning before work, she dropped this.” said the woman taking the bag to open it. Sowon recognized the bag as it was the one Eunha used in high school. “She brings her christmas movies, we usually do a christmas movie marathon all december till christmas.” explained the woman and Sowon smiled, it was really like Eunha to do something like that.

 

“That’s great, I love all those christmas stories.” said Sowon and her mother smiled.

 

“Wanna eat?” asked the older woman and Sowon nodded as she prepared the table while her mother brought the food.

 

As they started eating, Sowon looked up at her mother. “Where is Eunha working?” she asked and her mother smiled.

 

“She’s working at the flower shop.” 

 

Sowon nodded. “The one between the bar and the library?” she asked, remembering the little flower shop they would pass by while coming back from school everyday. Eunha would always stop and admire flowers.

 

“Yes, that same flower shop.” explained her mother. 

 

Sowon nodded and frowned. “Isn’t she studying business or something, that was what she wanted to do after high school.” said Sowon remembering her long talk with Eunha about their future and their dreams. “She always dreamed of opening her own shop.”

 

The old woman looked down. “She started university but after six months in, her father lost his job at the factory… He couldn’t afford to pay for her studies or even for the house so she came back and started working there to help him pay for everything.” explained Sowon’s mother.

 

“What happened to her dad, it’s not normal, he’s been working there since he’s a teenager, he’s only some years away from retirement…” said Sowon not understanding. “He has rights, the factory is supposed to pay something to him.” she said knowing the laws quite well.

 

Her mother shook her head. “They had an assigned counsel, he couldn’t do anything and told them to let go and agree with the factory, he got fired for serious fault, so they don’t pay anything to him.”

 

Sowon frowned, how was that possible? Eunha's father knew this factory better than anyone else, he’s been working there for so many years, he couldn’t make any serious mistakes. “Are you sure?” she asked her mother again and the woman nodded.

 

“Yeah Eunha was so sad and bothered at that time but she accepted it and worked hard to support her dad.” said the old woman. “He can’t find any job, he’s too old and not certified for anything else than the factory job he did all his life… This is really horrible…”

 

Sowon nodded but it was really bothering her, she told herself to ask Eunha more about all this and find out how something like this could happen.

 

Her mother finished eating while Sowon barely touched her plate. “You aren’t hungry?” asked Sowon’s mother and Sowon shook her head.

 

“Not really, I just woke up, I still feel sleepy.” she answered and her mother nodded. 

 

They cleaned a bit and Sowon felt her mother taking her hand. “Honey, can you do something for me?” asked the woman taking Sowon to the bathroom. “The lights died the other day but Eunha is too short to reach it, I didn’t want her to stand on a chair and it’s too small in there to bring the stepladder.” explained the woman and Sowon nodded.

 

“I will do it,” she smiled as her mother opened a drawer and took out a light bulb. Sowon took it and looked at it. “It’s a new one?” she asked but her mother shook her shoulders. “It seems old, not sure it will work.

 

As the ceiling of the bathroom wasn’t that high, Sowon could change the light bulb easily but it wasn’t working either.

 

“I bought some new one the other day with Eunha but I can’t remember where they are.” said the old woman as she started to look around to find them. 

 

Sowon helped her look around but they couldn’t find anything. “Are you sure you didn’t use them already?”

 

“No I didn't, we got them the other day.” said Sowon’s mother, quite frustrated. They kept looking around till Sowon saw her mother holding her head.

 

“You okay?” she asked, coming closer.

 

“I feel dizzy, I need a glass of water.” said the woman and Sowon ran to the kitchen.

 

As she came back with the glass, it was too late, her mother was vomiting. Sowon panicked, she rushed to her and patted her back slowly. “Come sit.” she said bringing the wheelchair and helping her mother to sit down. “You’ve been standing for too long.” she said as her mother was clearly in pain.

 

“My head hurts, bring me my pills.” she said pointing to the kitchen. Sowon went there and looked around, Eunha told her the day before her pills were in the drawer under the table but as she opened there were many different pill boxes.

 

“Which one?” asked Sowon but she didn’t get any answer. She quickly looked through the pills and found the one for the head. She ran back to her mother but the woman was unconscious. 

 

Sowon took her phone and dialed the emergency assistance, and they immediately sent help.

 

Sowon looked at them as they carried her mother in the vehicule and followed them to the hospital. They took her mother in a room and Sowon waited in the corridor. 

 

A doctor came out and came closer to her. “It’s okay, your mother is okay, she fainted because of the pain in her head. Her crisis seems to be stronger so I will give her stronger medicine but it won’t make it go away, it will only calm the pain.” he explained and Sowon nodded. “Luckily you were here and sat her down, she can really hurt herself if she faint while no one is around to catch her or anything.” said the doctor, “We will keep her some more hours and see how her crisis goes then if it calms down she can go back home before tonight.” he said and Sowon nodded. “You can go see her, she’s awake.”

 

Sowon thanked him and went into the room to see her mother. She immediately hugged her, tears running down her cheeks. “I was so scared….” she sobbed and her mother hugged her back. 

 

“So honey, can you change the light bulb in the bathroom?” asked the woman as if nothing happened.

 

“Mom, you are at the hospital, you fainted.” said Sowon calmly and the woman looked around.

 

“Oh… really…” she said as she still didn’t realize what happened. “I’m tired.” she said and Sowon nodded before letting her mother rest some more. She caressed her mother’s forehead slowly as the woman closed her eyes. Sowon stayed there for a few minutes then she left the room. She walked to the entrance and found the coffee machine, she sat on a chair with her drink when she saw Eunha pass the doors.

 

“Eunha?” she asked standing up and Eunha turned to look at her immediately. 

 

“What happened? how is she?” Eunha asked, worried.

 

“She’s fine, she fainted because of the pain in her head…” said Sowon. “Luckily I sat her down just as her crisis started so she didn’t get hurt.” she explained then she looked at Eunha who relaxed knowing the woman was fine. “But what are you doing here?” she asked her frowning.

 

“I’m… I’m her emergency contact.” just said Eunha before sighing, “I’m glad she’s fine, will she stay here for the night?” she asked the tall girl.

 

Sowon shook her head, “I think not, they will check on again but she should be allowed to go back home.” said Sowon sitting back on the chair and Eunha sat beside her. “There’s nothing they can do to really help her anyway…” she said sadly as she drank her coffee.

 

Eunha put her hand on Sowon’s thigh and squeezed it softly. “Your mom is strong, I’ve seen her fight during 2 years now, she won’t miss her christmas with you, she waited for you to finally comeback and now that you are here I’m sure she will use all her strength to celebrate with you.” said Eunha nicely and Sowon brushed away her tears before nodding.

 

“If only I came back sooner…” said Sowon sadly.

 

“It would change nothing,” whispered Eunha. “She would still be sick…”

 

Sowon looked at her, “But I wasted so much time away from her, I could have spent more Christmas with her and been there for her those past 5 years. It’s all my fault, I should’ve come more often, visited her and checked on her more often...” said Sowon feeling guilty for not being by her mother’s side all this time.

 

“It’s not your fault, your mom is quite stubborn too,” said Eunha, “I kept telling her to let you know about her condition since the beginning, but she had hope the therapy would cure her so she wouldn’t need to bother you, and recently even when it got worst she kept refusing to let you know, she didn’t want you to worry and let down all your hard work to come take care of her.” said Eunha.

 

“And she had you.” whispered Sowon.

 

They stayed silent for a moment then Sowon looked up at Eunha. “I hope you didn’t miss work because of this?”

 

Eunha smiled. “No don’t worry, I was on my way home when I got called, I finished early today.” she explained and Sowon nodded.

 

“How’s work?” she asked and Eunha looked at her confused. “Well my mom explained what happened to your dad and how you ended up working at the flower shop.” said Sowon and Eunha nodded without answering. “You know, I have a hard time believing what happened to your dad, I mean the factory fired him just like this?” she asked and Eunha nodded again.

 

“I know they used him and made all this not to pay him what he deserves but we couldn’t fight them, we didn’t have a lawyer and the consultant taking care of us didn’t want to bother with our case and made my dad agree with their terms.” explained Eunha. “It was hard at the beginning, like giving up my studies and all but now I like my job, the new boss there is young and very nice.”

 

“And your dad?” asked Sowon. “How is he?”

 

Eunha swallowed hard, “It’s more difficult for him…” she said in a low voice. “He has ups ad downs, some days he’s in a sort of depression, he doesn’t leave the house, he feels useless and got rejected so many times while applying for jobs that he doesn’t even believe in himself anymore…Some other day he will work around at the house and be able to go out of a house a bit, like for groceries…” continued Eunha, clearly sad about the situation.

 

“Maybe if you both explained to me what exactly happened I could help you take them to court,” said Sowon determined, “I worked with lawyers, I studied to become one, I know the laws, I’m sure we can sue them.” said Sowon but Eunha frowned and stood up.

 

“Listen Sowon, you can’t just come back after 5 years and mess with our life, a lot has changed since you left and you can’t fix everything just like that with nice words.” said Eunha a bit mad now. 

 

Sowon stood up too and took Eunha’s arm to stop her. “Wait, I’m sorry…” said Sowon sincerely. “I’m just… I want to help.” she added but Eunha shook her head and freed her arm.

 

“It would have helped if you didn’t run away and disappeared like you did 5 years ago.” she said sadly, then she calmed down and sighed. “You remember SinB? she is working as a paramedic, I will ask her to drive you and your mom back with the ambulance.” she said before leaving.

 

Sowon walked back to her mother’s room and found her talking with the doctor, he turned to Sowon and smiled at her. 

 

“Well you will be allowed to go back home in some minutes, I will sign the papers and it will be all good.” he informed them and a nurse came to help Sowon’s mom to get up and ready to leave.

 

As promised SinB was down with the ambulance waiting for them. Sowon recognized her immediately, the girl didn’t change at all, they would hang out often but as Sowon left she lost touch with everyone, she didn’t want to talk to see anyone that would remind her of Eunha.

 

“Long time no see.” smiled SinB as she helped Sowon’s mom into the truck. “How have you been?” she asked Sowon.

 

“Good, busy with my studies and work…” said Sowon, “What about you?”

 

“Great, I just got certified, it was long and difficult but I’m doing a job that is helping others.” said SinB passionate about her job.

 

Sowon got into the ambulance too and SinB drove them to their house. As they got there SinB helped the old woman to get down while Sowon ran inside to get her wheelchair. When she came closer to the truck, both SinB and Sowon helped Sowon’s mom to sit comfortably.

 

“Here we are.” smiled SinB. “It was nice seeing you again, we should hang out often and catch up, I’m sure we have a lot to talk about.” she said and Sowon nodded.

 

“Yeah we should do that.” answered Sowon then SinB went back in her ambulance and left. Sowon pushed her mother inside the house and installed her in her room.

 

“I will bring you some food, don’t move.” she said to her mother before going to the kitchen to prepare some soup.

 

Her mother was waiting for her half sitting in the bed. Sowon put the soup on the nightstand and sat at the end of the bed. “How do you feel?” she asked to her mother who took the soup and started to drink it.

 

“Good honey,” just said the woman. “Oh did I tell you that Eunha passed by this morning?”

 

“Yes mom, she brought some christmas movies.” said Sowon and the woman smiled.

 

“I can’t wait for us to start our marathon.” she said happily but Sowon looked down, thinking about her encounter with Eunha and how the short girl was mad at her, Sowon wanted to help her and Eunha was all on the defencive.

 

The older woman looked up at Sowon and frowned. “Are you mad honey?” she asked her daughter but Sowon forced a smile. 

 

“No I’m fine, and I can’t wait too.” she said and her mother seemed satisfied. That night, when her mother was asleep, Sowon went into her room and lay down in her bed looking at the ceiling. Seeing SinB and having Eunha around kept reminding her of her high school days...