The decision

Last Christmas

The trial was long and difficult, the factory lawyer was well prepared too, he worked his case to perfection and found some way to dismiss some good points Sowon hoped would work on them and make them look bad. But what they couldn’t fix was the mistake they made in the first place, they underestimated the people they fired. 

 

They never thought this case would be so hard and well prepared too, after their first win some years ago and seeing how none of them could defend themself or pay any good lawyers, they thought this time would be easy too but Sowon was fighting hard and didn’t give them any chance to win.

 

In the end she was destroying their defense and making everyone see how bad they were and how they used fake excuses and abused poor employers.

 

As the trial was almost over the judge took some time to make his decision. They all took a break and went out to get some fresh air. Sowon quickly walked to Eunha but got stopped by her teacher.

 

“You did such a good job Sowon, I can already say you will be an excellent lawyer.” said her teacher and soon some more people came to talk to her, some family members of the other people the factory fired and they all thanked her and talked with her about the case and how she did great. They all said they hoped she would have been here some years ago to defend them since the beginning. As it calmed down Sowon looked around but Eunha was nowhere to be found, she couldn't see any of her friends either and she sighed.

 

She felt a hand on her shoulder and turned around, she smiled as she saw Eunha’s dad smile at her.

 

“You okay?” he asked and she nodded. They both sat down on a bench in the corridor. “You did so good in there.” he said sincerely and Sowon nodded.

 

“I did my best, we all worked hard for this, I had to make sure all our hard work would be seen and that we would be heard.” she explained and he nodded back.

 

“You are an amazing woman Sowon, your mother would be so proud of you, she raised you to become so strong and smart but also so compassionate and loving.” he said and Sowon felt tears fall from her eyes.

 

She brushed her tears away. “I’m not, I keep hurting and disappointing the people I love, I’m a coward… I focused all my energy on this trial kinda hoping it would erase all my mistakes and make me feel better but now it’s almost over I feel way worse than before…” she said looking down.

 

“Don’t be so hard on yourself Sowon, we all make mistakes, we all are scared and while some of us face their problems by jumping into it, others tend to run away but that doesn’t make them cowards.” he said sincerely. “We all try to protect ourselves, the most important thing is to understand how we are and what our strength is and how we can become a better person.” he explained with all the wisdom of the old man he was becoming.

 

“What if we always make the same mistakes and never become a better person…?” asked Sowon, looking at him.

 

He smiled a bit. “All the mistakes make us grow, you maybe don’t see it right now but it does. You have to believe in yourself and reflect more on what's different from the last time you made that mistake.”

 

Sowon swallowed hard. The last time she hurt Eunha she ran away without telling her, she didn’t tell Eunha about her feelings, and lied to her to push her away. This time was indeed a bit different and Sowon realized she had grown up a bit from last time. She told Eunha about her feelings, she talked to her mother, she faced her fear of her friends finding out with the help of Umji. Things were different and she needed to act differently too. She wouldn't leave without talking to Eunha this time.

 

“Thank you.” smiled Sowon as she took the man in her arms. “Eunha is so lucky to have you as her dad, no wonder she’s such an amazing person, she got all this from you.” said Sowon and the man smiled.

 

“Of course she got all this from her daddy.” he teased back with a wink.

 

Sowon giggled but soon they got called back in. The judge would announce the final decision.

 

Every seconds it take from everyone to walk in, sat and for the judge to arrive too sit and do a little speech before announcing his decision made Sowon so nervous, maybe not as nervous as when she confessed her love for Eunha to her mother or when she opened her heart to Eunah but she was still very nervous and excited, she had that little voice inside her telling her they won, that obviously the good guys always win in the end but their enemy was powerful and rich and you can’t really know what can happen in those cases.

 

She took a deep breath, the judge looked around, then smiled as he announced the factory lost and had to pay a big indemnity to all the workers they fired with fake excuses.

 

Everyone on her side jumped in happiness, Eunha’s dad was so happy he took Sowon in his arms thanking her, all his previous co-workers were happily celebrating. Sowon smiled as she looked behind her, she did it, she helped honest people get their revenge, get their names clean. She made them all happy, her eyes met Eunha’s and Sowon felt something inside herself instantly calm down. Eunha hugged ther friends and then her dad joined her and they hugged strongly.

 

Sowon turned around to gather her files and as she looked up the factory lawyer was facing her.

 

“You did a very good job,” he said, offering his hand, “our law firm would be lucky to have you working with us.” he said as Sowon shook his hand. He took out a visit card and offered it to her.

 

Sowon took it.

 

“Call us.” he said and Sowon nodded.

 

“I will think about it.” she said politely and he nodded before walking away.

 

Everyone was walking out and Sowon needed to talk to Eunha, she needed to apologize and make things clear, she needed to talk, she wouldn’t repeat the same mistakes over and over, she was done with all this.

 

She quickly walked out through the people that were walking out too, she had a hard time making room to go out fast enough but she did it just on time, Eunha was beside her car with SinB.

 

“Eunha!” called Sowon as she rushed down the tribunal entrance stairs. 

 

Eunha turned around as Sowon approached.

 

“What do you want again…?” asked Eunha as she tried to open the door but the car was locked. “…” she mumbled as she looked into her bag.

 

“I want to talk to you… just give me some minutes…” almost begged Sowon and Eunha sighed.

 

“You always talk but when you need to prove something to me, you run away.” said Eunha coldly. “I’m tired of this Sowon…” she added more sadly.

 

Sowon looked around, SinB was standing on the other side of the car looking at them and behind her was Yerin, standing beside her car with Umji and Yuju, Eunha’s dad was also looking at them as she walked down the tribunal stairs to join his car, parked beside Eunha’s.

 

Some other people from their neighborhood were there as they came to support them or the other workers. Sowon felt like all the city was looking at her right now. Eunha’s dad arrived beside his car and looked at them as he was standing beside his car some meters away.

 

“What’s going on?” he asked and Sowon looked around, more eyes were on them, wondering what was happening. She felt even more shy now.

 

“I don’t know, Sowon wanted to talk but suddenly she’s silent, maybe she will run away again, I don’t mind anymore.” said Eunha as she took out her car keys. “I was hoping this time she would be brave and show me how much she loves me but it seems like she never really loved me like I thought she was…” continued Eunha as tears came to her eyes now.

 

Her dad looked at Eunha sadly then at Sowon. “Sowon…?” he asked and the tall girl blushed. “What is she talking about…?”

 

“I… I…” started Sowon confused, “I want… I want to make it better and not make the same mistakes…” she said sincerely and Eunha looked at her as she opened her car door.

 

Sowon didn’t know what to say to stop her from leaving this time and it looked like no words would fix it so she decided not to run away but to act and show Eunha how much she loved her how much she always loved her, and that she wasn’t ashamed of her or ashamed of who their were. She took a step closer to Eunha, pushed the car door closed, put her hands around Eunha’s face and she kissed the short girl.

 

She kissed her softly with love, she hoped Eunha would feel how much she loved her with this kiss. As soon as their lips touched everything around vanished, Sowon wasn’t thinking about all the people that could see them about what they would think or say, all she could focus on was Eunha.

 

And Eunha was kissing her back, more pationaly, so hard that Sowon slowly pushed her away to break the kiss and regain some air. She was breathless as she looked down at Eunha.

 

“I love you… always have.. I hope you know that…” she said as her forehead was resting against Eunha’s.

 

“That is what I was always hoping for Sowon…” answered Eunha and Sowon smiled. They moved away a bit and she realized a lot of people around were looking at them, then their friends started clapping happily and the people followed them happily.

 

Sowon blushed and looked down before looking around again and meeting eyes with Eunha’s dad.

 

“Humm… I hope your dad won’t kill us for what I just did..” whispered Sowon as the man walked around his car to get closer to them. Then with a serious face he took Sowon in his arms again.

 

“I’m proud of you.” he whispered to her and Sowon hugged him back.

 

He let go of her and smiled.

 

“You knew…?” asked Sowon and he shook his shoulders.

 

Eunha hit his arm. “Don’t act like you are the coolest dad, you didn’t have this happy face when I told you about us some time ago.” said Eunha and he looked at her before hugging her too.

 

“I just never thought about you two like this before you told me…” he said honestly. “I’m from the old generation, I never imagined you would love a girl… I always imagined you marrying a guy and starting a family…” he said before looking at Sowon kinda sorry.

 

Eunha smirked before looking from her dad to Sowon. “He said he’s so relieved I’m loving you because in the end he realized, no guy could ever live up to you.” she said and the man glared at her.

 

“I’m flattered.” said Sowon and the man smiled at her.

 

“Of course, my baby girl is in love with the most charming, smart and amazing girl I had to meet so I could only be happy for her and I’m also happy for you too Sowon, you are like a daughter to me, and I’m glad if you two can make each other happy.” he said sincerely.

 

SinB interrupted them as they kept talking and teasing each other. “Maybe we all could go get a drink to celebrate the winning case and also our favorite couple?” she asked and the other girls jumped happily.

 

“That’s a great idea.” said Yuju and Sowon looked at Eunha.

 

“Okay, you guys can go first, I need to talk with Eunha before, then we will join you all.” said Sowon and they all nodded. SinB hesitated but Eunha’s dad made a sign to her to come with him so she went into his car and soon everyone left, leaving only Sowon and Eunha facing each other, standing beside the short girl’s car on the now empty parking lot.

 

“Don’t you feel relieved?” asked Eunha and Sowon nodded.

 

“More than ever…” she said honestly. “But it also was the scariest thing I ever did in my life too…” continued Sowon. “I was really worried about your dad, scared to disappoint him…I didn’t know you talked to him…”

 

Eunha smiled a bit. “Disappointed? He would have been more disappointed with me if I had introduced him any guys, he loves you so much no wonder he took it kinda well when I told him I loved you.”

 

“How did you tell him?” asked Sowon curious.

 

“He told me again just after christmas that I could have any guys and stuff like that and it kinda came out, I was so tired of hearing about things like that and this time it was just after you confessed and we kissed so I just couldn’t keep it inside any longer.” said Eunha. “Honestly he was kinda shocked at first but he quickly accepted it in the end. I asked him to keep it for himself as you had a difficult time and we never really put any words on what our relationship was…”

 

Sowon smiled then she became more serious. “There is one more thing I need to tell you, I will leave in a few days, I have to go back to school, some exams are coming and I want to finish my last year.” explained Sowon.

 

“You were about to leave again without saying goodbye?” asked Eunha frowning.

 

“No… I mean maybe I didn’t know, you were so mad and I was confused about what to do, leaving or not, I’m still confused honestly. I’m wondering what will happen next, when I finish my studies then what? there’s a lot of things I have to think about and I’m not ready to take any decision right now. It's too soon, between our relationship, my mother, the case and how my teachers seem to think I will do so great and all…

 

“Hey..” said Eunha putting her hand on Sowon’s shoulder calming her with her reassuring touch. “We have time to think about it later, Sowon.” said Eunha gently. “You don’t have to take all the decision right now, take some time, go back to school, pass your exams and see how it goes, I’m here if you need to talk and I won’t go anywhere, you can come back anytime and we will call each other and stay in touch this time right?”

 

Sowon nodded. “Of course we will.. I just can’t imagine being away from you for so long… I was wondering this past few days about dropping out of school and staying with you but at the same time I worked so hard for this and sacrificed so much time away from my mom for this that I couldn’t just run away again…” explained Sowon as all her doubts came out honestly.

 

Eunha smiled. “I never realized you were such an anxious person, you used to keep all this inside but now you know that you can tell me when you are in situations like this. I don’t have all the answers but we can work on them together… and our friends can help too.” said Eunha and Sowon smiled.

 

“Life would have been so much easier if I had voiced all my feelings and fears to you way before…” said Sowon and Eunha hugged her.

 

“We are together now, and we will always support each other and help each other, you are not alone and soon things will be very clear and you will know what to do but for now, you were so good in that tribunal and also quite y I must admit…” said Eunha with a smirk and Sowon giggled before kissing the short girl again.

 

They broke apart and Eunha made a sign to Sowon to get in the car. “Our friends and my dad are waiting for us.” she said and Sowon went in the car.