The touch

Last Christmas

On the next day, Sowon’s mom was exhausted, probably because of her little incident the previous day. Sowon made breakfast for her and asked her to rest on the couch and not move around so much, the woman wasn’t even remembering what happened yesterday and her little trip to the hospital. Eunha had told her that it was happening often, the more the crisis were intense, the less her mother was remembering those moments.

 

Sowon was feeling so powerless as she looked at her mother. The woman wasn’t that old, she retired only 3 years ago and as she should be enjoying herself and enjoy her old days to come, she was fighting for her life.

 

Tears came to Sowon’s eyes. It was so unfair, she only had her mother in her life, Sowon never knew about her dad, she never got the chance to meet her grandparents as her mother lost them at a young age. She was feeling like she was losing her only family. Sowon loved her mother so much and seeing her like this was really painful for her.

 

Sowon brushed away her tears and put on a small smile as she brought some food to her mother. She helped her to eat and stayed by her side till the woman fell asleep. Then Sowon decided to go groceries, she didn’t know when Eunha was supposed to pass by, if she would still do it as Sowon was here now and more especially since she was mad at Sowon after their little talk at the hospital.

 

Sowon sighed, she checked on her mother one last time and wrote down a little note that she left on the coffee table in case her mother woke up while she was out. Then she took her mother’s keys and went out. The car was in the garage, her mother didn’t use it since she’s sick. As she looked at it Sowon remembered how many times she used it to drive her friends around and she smiled. She wanted to see them all again but after leaving without a word she wasn’t sure the girls would sincerely like to see her again. Sowon wasn’t even sure what Eunha told them all, she was sure she was the villain in the story and she felt like she deserved it anyway.

 

Sowon started the car, it didn't work on the first time nor on the second but it finally started, the battery may be weak as it didn't work for so long. Sowon drove out of her street and went to the mall. As she passed in town, she saw the flower shop and Eunha that walked out to pick up some flowers that were exposed on the outside for a client. Sowon hesitated but stopped a little away in the street and parked her car before walking to the shop.

 

She wasn’t really sure what she would say to Eunha but she already missed her and was feeling bad for making the short girl angry. She was right, Sowon didn't have any right to come back and tell her how she should live her life.

 

As her feet walked in the direction of the shop Sowon felt nervous, she wasn’t sure what she would say to Eunha. As she arrived, she stopped in front of the door and waited, she turned around to leave. Maybe it wasn’t such a good idea but damn she needed to see the girl.

 

Sowon sighed loudly, her back facing the shop hesitating even more when she felt a hand on her lower back, she closed her eyes recognizing Eunha’s hand and her way to touch her so softly to get her attention. Sowon turned around and faced Eunha who looked at her shyly.

 

“What are you doing here?” asked Eunha, a bit confused. “Is your mom okay?”

 

Sowon nodded, “Yeah she’s okay, a bit tired but fine… I was just.. I wanted to apologize, I went too far yesterday, I wanted to help you but it wasn’t the right way to say it or anything…” blurted out Sowon as she looked down and Eunha giggled.

 

“It’s okay, I’m sorry too, I had a bad day and I was quite worried about your mom at that time so I kinda reacted a bit too excessively…” said Eunha sincerely. “I’m glad that you still care about me and my dad enough to try to find a way to help us… sincerely but it’s too late now.” she said and Sowon nodded.

 

They stayed silent for a moment then Eunha looked at a woman entering the shop. “Did you come only for this or you need something else?” she asked and Sowon shook her head.

 

“No, I just wanted to apologize, I won’t bother you anymore.” she said quickly and Eunha smiled.

 

“You never bother me.” she told her softly, “Do you want me to pass by with some groceries after work?” asked suddenly Eunha and Sowon shook her head again.

 

“No no, don’t worry, I will go buy some stuff right now so you don’t have to do it.” she said then she saw Eunha looked down a bit sad, so Sowon quickly put her hand on Eunha’s shoulder to get the short girl attention, “But you can pass by and help us cook, mom miss you a lot…” said Sowon and Eunha face brightened.

 

“Okay, I will.” said Eunha more happily. “Well I have to go,” she said pointing to the woman inside the shop waiting, “I see you tonight then.”

 

Sowon smiled back and nodded. She looked at Eunha as she walked back inside the shop then Sowon finally walked back to her car more happy than ever.

 

Sowon did some groceries and went back home, her mother was still sleeping on the couch so she put everything in the fridge and cleaned around a bit trying not to make any noises so her mother could rest well.

 

The rest of the day was calm, Sowon kept taking care of her mother and they spend some time together chatting, Sowon’s mother asked about her life in the big city, how was it and Sowon told her about everything that happened to her there, how she got lost many times, how it was impressive to work in a big company even if she was just treated like a secretary, how the school was great, her professors were liking her and believed in her, she was one of the best student in her class.

 

“I’m so proud of who you are.” said Sowon’s mother smiling at her daughter and Sowon felt tears coming to her eyes. “I’ve always been so proud of you, you were an amazing girl and now you are a wonderful woman.” she said sincerely and Sowon took her in her arms hugging her strongly, tears now running on her cheeks.

 

“I love you so much mom…” she sobbed into her mother’s arms and the old woman hugged her as tight as she could.

 

“I love you too Sowon honey, always had and always will…” she said and Sowon hide her face in her mother’s neck not wanting to let her go. She was thinking about her mom’s reaction if she knew about her feelings, if she knew Sowon liked girls… but Sowon chased this thought away and let go of her mother.

 

Suddenly they heard the door open and Sowon saw how happy her mother was as she was seeing Eunha enter the house. A bright smile appeared on the old woman and Eunha smiled back, coming to give a hug to Sowon’s mother.

 

“So how are you?” asked Eunha nicely and the woman smiled even more.

 

“Better now you are here too, I couldn’t be more happy as you are both here with me.” she said and the girls looked shyly at each other before Sowon stood up.

 

“Well we should start cooking then.” she said and they both helped the old woman get into her wheelchair before Eunha pushed her in the kitchen so she could watch and assist them a bit while they prepared dinner.

 

As the girls washed their hands, their shoulders brushed against each other and they looked at each other again.

 

“I could have been here sooner but I needed to check on my dad.” said Eunha and Sowon nodded.

 

“Of course, how is he?” she asked and Eunha bit her lips together.

 

“For now, good, you know he has ups and downs, so there's weeks where he barely eats and doesn't leave the bed, and weeks like recently where he does some gardening, fixes stuff around the house and even goes out to do groceries.” explained Eunha. “But after a good period there’s always some down period following so I try to be careful.” she said sincerely and Sowon nodded while giving Eunha the towel to dry her hands.

 

“You really are one of the bravest person I know Eunha…” said Sowon as she sighed, she realized how hard it must have been for Eunha to take care of her father, and also her mother, Eunha had such a big heart and was so sweet, she was always helping other people and doing her best to take care of the people she liked.

 

Eunha put down the towel and turned to the kitchen counter. “So what are we making?” she asked and Sowon took out some food she bought.

 

“It’s been a long time since I didn't eat this.” she said pointing to the food ingredients and Eunha smiled.

 

“Of course, your favorite dish.” she smiled and they started cooking. 

 

Cooking with Eunha was so natural and easy, they were so much in sync, both paying attention to what the other was doing and helping each other without any words spoken, they would pass each other’s utensils without asking for it. It was like a very well choreographed dance but they executed it without any learning, it was just their minds and bodies instinctively reacting to each other.

 

Eunha would often put her hand on Sowon’s lower back to pass behind her or move around her, signaling her she was just there and Sowon loved this feeling. Eunha's hand was softly brushing her, it was a simple gesture but it brings Sowon back to the days they were not conscious about feelings or anything and would freely be themselves around each other, touch, hug, hold hands… Sowon missed those days, she missed the innocence of their teenage years where those gestures were natural and no one would read more into it than friendship love.

 

“Sowon?” asked Eunha as she saw Sowon zoning out and Sowon jumped out as she got back to reality and cut her finger. 

 

The short girl immediately took Sowon’s hand in hers and held the injured finger. “I will take care of this.” said Eunha looking at Sowon’s mother who looked worried at her daughter. “It’s not that bad, just a small cut but she is bleeding so we better put something on it.” informed Eunha softly and the old woman nodded.

 

Eunha took Sowon to the bathroom, Sowon looked at Eunha as she took her injured finger and passed it under the water then cleaned it. Every move Eunha was doing was so soft. Then Eunha looked around and grabbed the little box with bandages. She opened it and put it on Sowon’s finger gently.

 

“Here you go.” said Eunha sweetly. “You will survive.” she joked and Sowon looked at her in the eyes, holding her gaze longer than she should have.

 

Sowon had been with some guys at the beginning of her days in university, all her classmates were dating and she was wondering if she could develop feelings for a nice guy and erase the ones she had for Eunha but no matter how hard Sowon tried, it didn’t work. No matter how intimate she went with those boys, it was so far away to feel as nice as Eunha’s presence… It couldn’t compare and Sowon closed off, distancing herself from everyone for years, giving up on finding someone that would make her feel as good as Eunha was.

 

“Thank you.” breathed out Sowon and Eunha nodded shyly. Sowon couldn’t remember the last time someone took care of her, someone held her hand or just touched her this softly. Eunha's touch was healing her, warming her heart and making her feel like she could fly.

 

Sowon’s hand reached Eunha’s face, and she put back some of Eunha’s hair behind her ear. Eunha looked down but didn’t move away. Sowon looked at her and swallowed hard. Eunha was just so pretty, she caressed her hair and let her hand rest on Eunha’s shoulder.

 

Eunha looked up and their eyes met again. Sowon’s heart was beating so fast, she was sure that Eunha would see her chest explode if they stayed like this one more second. But Eunha turned around.

 

“The food will burn,” said Eunha quickly as she walked away from the bathroom. Sowon exhaled loudly as she was alone in the bathroom now, she rested her back against the wall and looked at the bandage on her finger.

 

Sowon took some minutes to compose herself and went back to the kitchen too.

 

“Does it hurt?” asked her mother and Sowon shook her head as she showed her finger to her mother who kissed it. “Eunha is a good doctor.” she said smiling and Sowon looked at Eunha who looked back at her. Sowon looked down and turned to face her mother to hide her blushing cheeks to Eunha.

 

“Yeah she is,” said Sowon as she kissed her mother on the top of the head. “So should we set the table?” she asked. While Eunha focused on finishing the cooking, Sowon set the table and they started eating.

 

“Eunha,” said Sowon while they were eating, “Do you still talk to the girls?” she asked knowing Eunha knew who the girls were.

 

Eunha nodded. “Yeah of course, well SinB you saw her, she’s a paramedic.” started Eunha, “Umji is in university, she’s going to be an english teacher, she’s planning on coming back once she graduates and teaches english here.” she explained and Sowon smiled, she wished she could see Umji again. “Yerin is a lab assistant, she finished her studies and works at the water lab behind the mall, they treat all the city waste water and test it.” 

 

“Wow that’s great for her, she has always wanted to work in a lab.” said Sowon proud of her friend. Yerin graduated high school at the same time as her, they had many classes together in high school and bonded quickly as Yerin was quite playful but a very good friend that Sowon trusted a lot.

 

Eunha nodded. “And Yuju still doesn't know what she wanna do, she’s at university and took 2 different courses, one in literature, the other in history. She also went away to study, but she came back every vacation.”

 

Eunha looked at Sowon then hesitated, “When you left a lot changed, we kinda parted ways to focus on our future but we still kept in touch and supported each other all those years.” explained Eunha and Sowon felt guilty, she had ghosted all her friends and completely disappeared from their life suddenly.

 

“You should try to spend some time with your friends as you are around too this year.” said Sowon’s mother and Sowon hesiated, she really wasn’t sure any of the girls wanted to see her again, and even if SinB seemed happy to see her again, she probably said they should catch up just to be polite.

 

“We always organize one night together when the girls come back, you should join us this year, they will be happy to hear from you again.” said Eunha to Sowon who nodded but was still quite unsure it was a good idea. “Yuju will arrive next week and Umji will arrive in a few days so we will probably see each other next weekend. I will let you know so you can try to join us.” Eunha said nicely and Sowon nodded again but stayed silent. 

 

They finished eating while chatting about more light topics, Sowon’s mother kept laughing with Eunha as they talked about all the silly stuff they did together and Sowon looked at them smiling, it was crazy how her mother and Eunha were so close. Sowon knew that Eunha loved her mother as she lost hers at a very young age but they really shared a strong bond too and Sowon was happy, the women she loved the most were getting along so well, it was like Eunha was a part of the family, her mother treated her like her own daughter and even if Sowon wanted to be a bit jealous she couldn’t, she was just too happy to see them both laughing together.

 

As they kept talking they decided to start decorating the house, the next day would be the first day of december, it was the perfect time to start decorating around.

 

“I will come over tomorrow morning, I don’t work so I can help you.” said Eunha as she put her hand on Sowon’s mother’s shoulder and smiled at her.

 

“My Eunha, why don’t you sleep over, we can even watch a movie tonight.” said the older woman and Eunha smiled but shook her head.

 

“Sowon’s room isn’t free anymore, I don’t want to bother you.” she said politely but Sowon’s mom frowned.

 

Seeing this Sowon insisted too. “You can have my room, I can sleep on the couch.” she said and her mother frowned even more at her.

 

“Come on you girls, that bed is huge and it won’t be the first time you share it.” she said not understanding what was going on.

 

Sowon swallowed hard and looked at Eunha who looked embarrassed too. “You can’t force Eunha to stay if she doesn’t want mom.” said Sowon but the woman hit her.

 

“I’m not forcing her.” she complained then she looked at Eunha with soft eyes. “right Eunha, you don’t feel like I’m forcing you?” she asked and Eunha shook her head.

 

“No no of course, I will stay over then.” she said shyly and the old woman seemed satisfied. 

 

“It’s getting late, it better if you stay over, you can’t walk back home in the dark, your dad would kill me.” said Sowon’s mother laughing.

 

“I could drive her mom, I’m back,” said Sowon but her mother slapped her arm again.

 

“She said she wanted to stay, I barely saw her this week so don’t make her go away.” she hissed, making both girls giggle at her cuteness.

 

“So what movie should we watch?” asked Eunha as she stood up and started cleaning the table. 

 

Sowon got up too and helped her, as they were both in the kitchen side by side facing the sink, Sowon sighed. “I’m sorry about my mom, she really cares about you.” she said and Eunha bumped her shoulder in Sowon’s.

 

“I know you dummy.” answered Eunha smiling.

 

Sowon smiled back. “For the bed, you really can have it, once she will be asleep I can go on the couch and leave you alone.” explained Sowon and Eunha nodded.

 

“As you wish.” she said before walking away and helping Sowon’s mother to go into the living room.

 

As Sowon joined them, Eunha already helped the old woman sit on the couch. She covered her with a blanket and took out the movies. Eunha was the one choosing the movie and they started it. 

 

Sowon sat beside Eunha and the movie started, Sowon could see that on the other side of the couch her mother was uncomfortable. It was true that this couch was old and not super comfortable for her mother who was getting older.

 

Sowon barely focused on the movie and twenty minutes in, her mother was asleep already, her treatment was exhausting her. Sowon knew she wasn’t sleeping well at night as her head was often painful.

 

Sowon looked at her side and saw that Eunha was looking at her too. 

 

“You are not watching the movie?” asked Eunha worried and Sowon shook her head.

 

“I can’t focus on it, sorry.” she said sincerely. “I'm worried about her…” she explained and Eunha nodded in understanding. “She is in so much pain but she rarely complains, she acts like everything is fine but I can see it…”

 

“She’s in pain, but she’s very happy to have you here with her.” said Eunha and Sowon sighed again.

 

“I doubt that, she really missed you, I think she would be fine without me as long as she has you.” said Sowon but Eunha slapped her thigh.

 

“Don’t say such silly stuff, your mother loves you so much, you should have seen her before, she was always talking about you, she’s so proud of you…” said Eunha sincerely and Sowon felt tears coming to her eyes, she turned away from Eunha and wiped them away.

 

She heard her mother cough and looked over at her.

 

“Well I will take her to bed, we can finish the movie tomorrow.” quickly said Sowon as she got up and went closer to her mother. Eunha stopped the movie and helped Sowon take the woman into her room. They laid her in the bed and covered her.

 

Sowon went into her room and Eunha followed her. The tall girl opened one of the closets and looked around.

 

“I thought there was another blanket in there.” she said irritated. “I will use the small one on the couch.” she said as she took her pajama and walked out but Eunha took her arm and stopped her.

 

“Are you sure?” asked Eunha, looking at Sowon with puppy eyes. “We can both sleep here.” she said but Sowon looked at the bed then at Eunha and shook her head. 

 

“No, we’re not teenage girls anymore, we need some intimacy.” said Sowon and Eunha nooded.

 

Sowon walked away, she showered and changed into her pajamas before laying on the couch and covering herself with the tiny blanket they used to cover themselves while watching a movie. Sowon looked at her feet that were not covering because of the short size of the blanket and she sighed. It would be a long night but not worse than having to share a bed with Eunha especially after this weird moment in the bathroom earlier. It was better that way though Sowon before trying to sleep.