Falling Flowers

Hanahaki Strings

As soon as the bell rang indicating it's lunch time, Joshua took out his phone to text the man named 'Jun' who he agreed to tutor. He doesn't have any problem with it because just like what he told Jeonghan, he's free. He doesn't have any other things to do so being a tutor isn't that bad.

When he saw the number Jeonghan had put in his phone, he immediately sent a text on it.

 

Joshua:

Hey, is this Jun ?

 

Almost immediately, the guy replied.

 

Jun:

Yes, it's me! I assume you're Joshua? The one Jeonghan asked to tutor me?

 

Joshua:

Yeah. I just wanted to ask where you want to study? Jeonghan told me your retake is in three days and so you have to start as early as possible.

 

"Who are you texting?" Wonwoo approached Joshua and tried to peek on Joshua's phone but the older instinctively avoided him. When he realized it's just Wonwoo, he heaved a sigh.

Joshua smiled, "Jun."

Wonwoo, and Jihoon who just reached where they are, frowned, "Jun? Who's that? Is he an admirer of yours?" Jihoon asked.

Joshua blushed at his question, "H-he's not!"

"Then who is he?"

"A Chinese man that I'll tutor," Joshua said.

"What?" Wonwoo exclaimed while Jihoon raised an eyebrow.

Joshua was about to explain when his phone vibrated, and so he signalled the two to wait as he read Jun's reply.

 

Jun:

Jeonghan and I shared the same room. Is it fine for you if we'll study there?

 

Joshua:

Sure. I'm fine with anything. Just tell me your dorm room and I'll go there after class.

 

Jun:

Room 013, 4th floor .

 

Joshua:

Alright then.

 

Jun:

Thank you sm Joshua! You don't know how much help it'll be for me.

 

Joshua:

You're welcome ^^ I'm glad to help .

 

Jun:

<3

 

Joshua smiled as he pocketed his phone and turned to his friends who's waiting for him to explain.

He sighed, "Don't be mad, okay? It's just that, I don't have anything to do so I agreed to Jeonghan's favor.”

Wonwoo and Jihoon's eyes widened, "Wait—what? Jeonghan's favor?" Wonwoo asked.

Joshua nodded, "I know what the two of you are thinking but I assure you, he didn't do anything to me and he seemed like he really needed it. Why else would he approach me, right?"

No one answered, and so Joshua continued, "So earlier after I finished my breakfast, I met him at the restroom. He asked if I could tutor his Chinese roommate who's struggling to pass the tests for the qualifications of scholarship exams since he was a Chinese student. And so I agreed since I have all the free time in the world."

"But what if he's jus—"

"I don't know why, but I'm sure Jeonghan's not planning anything. So don't worry, okay? I can handle myself." Joshua cuts Jihoon off with what he was about to say.

Jihoon and Wonwoo glanced at each other and sighed. They can't do anything if Joshua's firm with his decision. They're aware of that.

"Fine. But call us if something's suspicious or you need help, alright?" Wonwoo stated which Joshua just smiled upon and nodded.

Then they all made their way to the cafeteria to have their lunch.

It was crowded inside and they struggled to find a place to sit in but Joshua saw vacant seats in the far corner of the cafeteria where Seungcheol usually eats alone.

He nudged Wonwoo's shoulder, "There's a vacant seat there." Joshua said and pointed in Seungcheol's direction.

Wonwoo turned to where Joshua was pointing and he immediately glared at the older.

Joshua frowned, "What?"

"Are you insane? Didn't you see Seungcheol sitting there?"

"What's wrong with Seungcheol sitting there?" Joshua asked with his forehead creased.

Wonwoo also frowned, then he nudged Jihoon who's just silently looking for a table to sit in.

"What?" Jihoon asked.

"Talk to your friend here. He must be really crazy." Wonwoo said and pointed at Jisoo who's pouting a bit.

"I'm not crazy! Ya, Jeon Wonwoo! I'm still older than you!" Joshua whined and hit Wonwoo's arms lightly.

"Yeah, you're older yet you're acting like a kid." Wonwoo said.

"I'm not!"

"Yes, you are!"

"I said I—"

"Joshua?"

The three of them turned around only to see Jeonghan holding his silver food tray with his forehead creased.

"Uh..." Joshua looked at his two friends who didn't seem to know what they're going to do, before turning back to Jeonghan, "We're looking for a table to sit in. The cafeteria seemed full."

Jeonghan then smiled at him, "Then sit with us. My friends are already there and there's still a vacant seat next to us since no one would approach us." He pouted.

Joshua was reluctant to agree since he knew his friends weren't comfortable around Jeonghan knowing his nature but he didn't want to look rude seeing that Jeonghan was just offering.

And besides, his stomach was already growling in hunger.

He smiled, "Sure. Where is it?” he responded.

Jeonghan let out a bright smile, "Follow me! Jun's also there, you can talk to him about the favor I asked you!" He said and walked ahead of the three.

Joshua followed, and so did the other two.

Jihoon then whispered to Joshua, "Why did you agree?"

"Aren't you hungry? Cause I am. Besides, there's no other place to eat at and you don't want to share a table with Seungcheol for God knows why," Joshua answered.

The two just sighed and fell silent as they followed Jeonghan.

Jeonghan stopped in front of two handsome yet foreign looking men who's talking to each other.

"Hey there disgusting lovebirds, scoot over and someone's going to eat with us," Jeonghan said as soon he stopped in front of the two.

They both turned to Jeonghan, "Who?" Minghao, his younger Chinese friend asked.

Jeonghan then smiled at Jun, "Hey, Jun! Joshua's here to eat with us since all the other seats were occupied already. You won't mind sharing with him and his friends right?" He asked.

Jun smiled brightly, "Of course! Right, Hao?" He turned to the younger male which the latter nodded at.

Jeonghan turned around and he motioned the three to sit down.

Hesitantly, they sat down. Wonwoo sat beside Jun while Joshua and Jihoon sat beside Jeonghan.

"Are you Joshua?" Jun asked Wonwoo who sat beside him.

Wonwoo immediately shook his head, "Uh, I'm Wonwoo."

"Jun, this man beside me is Joshua," Jeonghan chuckled.

"Really? I'm sorry!" Jun quickly apologized to both Joshua and Wonwoo.

Joshua softly chuckled, "It's fine."

"And he must be..."

"Jihoon. Lee Jihoon." Joshua answered since Jihoon was too shy to introduce himself.

Jun bowed at him lightly, which he returned shyly.

"Nice to meet the three of you. Also, this man beside me is my boyfriend, Minghao. Xu Minghao. We're both Chinese," Jun said with a smile.

Minghao smiled at the three new faces, "Nice meeting the three of you."

"You all know me, right?" Jeonghan butts in, making all five men turn to him before they can even say something to the other two.

"Who wouldn't know you?" Minghao retorted.

"Hey, I'm nice. It's just that, pranking is my way of relieving my stress," Jeonghan defended himself.

The younger one just rolled his eyes.

"Sorry for that. Don't mind what Jeonghan said," Jun quickly said to the three.

Wonwoo and Jihoon were too shy to interact with the three, and so Joshua mustered up some courage to speak up, "It's fine. He seemed nice to me."

"See?" Jeonghan smugly turned to his friends.

"Whatever. Anyways, is it really fine for you to tutor me?" Jun asked Joshua who nodded immediately.

"Of course."

"It might get hard for you to tutor me since I am..."

Joshua quickly interrupted him, "No, it's fine, really. Jeonghan already told me before I agreed."

Jun smiled widely, "Thank you so much! Also, I've heard from Jeonghan that you were a top student, and so I felt relieved."

Joshua shyly smiled and glanced at Jeonghan who's already munching his food, then turned back to Jun, "Uh, thank you I guess, and you're welcome." He just replied.

The lunch continued with Jun and Minghao initiating a conversation with Wonwoo and Jihoon who slowly loosen up. In the end, the four of them comfortably conversed.

On the other hand, Joshua was silently eating his food since he doesn't really like talking while eating, same as Jeonghan.

When they finished eating, Minghao was the first one to bid goodbye since he needed to finish his unfinished activity.

The rest walked altogether to their building since their room was just beside each other, except for Jun who's room is below them.

In the middle of the conversation, Joshua excused himself to the restroom.

"I'll go with you," Jeonghan then said after Joshua excused himself.

The other three turned to Jeonghan with a questioning look, especially Jihoon and Wonwoo who's still suspicious of Jeonghan.

Jeonghan then frowned at them, "What's with the look?" He asked.

Joshua noticed it too, and so he said, "Wonwoo, Jihoon. I told you, Jeonghan is nice."

Jeonghan realized what Joshua just said, making him pout as he turned to Joshua's friends, "Do I look that bad?"

The two immediately felt guilty so they averted their gaze on Jeonghan. The latter chuckled as he tapped Jihoon and Wonwoo's shoulders, "It's fine. I understand. But I really need to pee right now. So if you don't mind, we'll go now." He said and turned around along with Joshua who smiled at his friends.

Jeonghan wasn't the type to care about what others see of him, but that made him feel sad for a moment, knowing that they find it hard to trust him.

Is my image of being a prankster that scary? he thought. But I don't do that just because I want to. Hmp.

Other than that, he was also surprised to see that Joshua's friends seemed scared of him. They looked more intimidating than him. Are they scared I'll prank them too?

"Sorry about that, Jeonghan."

He averted his eyes to Joshua who's looking apologetically at him, "For what?" He asked.

"For my friends. They're just too protective towards me which I really can't understand why. I'm weak, yes, but no one's harming me though," Joshua uttered absent mindedly.

He really is naive and innocent, isn't he? Jeonghan asked in his mind while staring at Joshua.

"Don't worry, I understand them. You do really need protection from someone,” Jeonghan said, making Joshua confused.

"And why?"

"Because you're so naive... and innocent."

"I'm not naive or innocent. And even if I am, why do I need protection?" Joshua asked with his brows furrowed in confusion.

Jeonghan sighed as they entered the restroom, "Because too much innocence can be bad, you know." He said.

Joshua was about to say something to defend himself but stopped on his tracks when they saw Seungcheol leaning on the walls with his knuckles bleeding.

Jeonghan and Joshua looked at each other, like they're both asking in their minds what happened to the man in front of them.

Seungcheol noticed their presence, "If you're not going to do anything aside from staring at each other, leave me alone here." He said, making the two look at him.

"Hey... uh, your hand is bleeding..." Joshua spoke.

Seungcheol looked at his hand and chuckled without humor, "Don't mind me."

"But it might b—"

"I said don't mind me," Seungcheol said in a hard tone, making Joshua who was about to approach him step back.

Jeonghan then butts in, "Hey, he was just worried."

Seungcheol frowned, "Did I ask for it?"

"No, but you don't have to scare someone who's just concerned about you," Jeonghan fired back.

Seungcheol halted upon Jeonghan's words.

It struck something inside him but he decided to dismiss it. He doesn't need any of it right now, he needs to do something more important than to treat his hand or appreciate others' concern for him which is very unusual for Seungcheol.

"I don't need anyone's concern," he uttered blankly and walked past the two, brushing his shoulders harshly against Jeonghan, making the latter step back and hit Joshua who's behind him.

"Hey! You—" Joshua held Seungcheol's wrist before he could even leave but as soon as his hand came into contact with Seungcheol, all three of them fell down as they held their chest.

They can feel the abnormal fastening of their heart beat as it felt like it was being squeezed inside. They knelt down as they held their chest while clenching their teeth to minimize the pain but it didn't lessen a bit.

The rapid increase of their heartbeat made it more painful for them. A tear escaped from Joshua's eyes as he closed his eyes tightly. Jeonghan was gripping the sink while his other hand remained in his chest, while Seungcheol hit his chest repeatedly but to no avail.

In the end, they're all kneeling on the floor, screaming from the unexplainable pain that's going on in their hearts.

Meanwhile...

Jun, Wonwoo and Jihoon were just talking about some stuff in Jun's classroom on the second floor. For some reason, they felt comfortable talking with each other despite the short time they just met.

"Is Jeonghan really what other students said he is?" Wonwoo suddenly asked, making Jihoon nudge him but he ignored it.

Jun smiled at Jihoon, "It's alright," he assured the man before turning to Wonwoo who's waiting for his answer, "Anyway, to answer your question... yes, he's what the other's said."

Wonwoo and Jihoon fell silent.

"But..." Jun immediately said, "He's really kind to the people he's close with. Like what he said, he's doing it to release his stress. He just doesn't prank anyone just because he wants to. He does it to release his anger or stress on that person who has done something wrong to him."

"But he does pranks on teachers too," Jihoon said.

"He may be wrong on pranking teachers but I honestly can't stop him. He once told me that he's doing it to the people who're acting unreasonable on him," Jun said, "But I assure you, he's really nice. He cares so much for the people he loves to the point he's becoming selfless. It doesn't look like that, right? But I've seen it many times.”

"I honestly don't trust him that much because of his image but seeing that Joshua trusts him, I guess I should too," Wonwoo blurted out.

"How about Joshua then? What is he like?” Jun asked in pure curiosity.

"He's naive and innocent. Also, he's kind too. Really, really kind. To the point of people taking advantage of him and he won't even realize it." Jihoon said.

"What do you mean?" Jun's forehead creased.

Wonwoo sighed, "There's a lot of students who're taking advantage of his naiveness. May it be girls or boys. That is why we're always looking out for him although he's older than the two of us."

"But he can be very, very playful too," Jihoon added.

"I can see that he's nice. But playful? I can't seem to imagine him to be one. He looked so innocent."

Wonwoo and Jihoon chuckled.

"We thought of that too when we first met, but as time goes by, he's slowly becoming playful. The type of playfulness you won't ever be pissed off because despite that, he's considering if he'll hurt others with his playfulness. That's how kind Joshua is.” Wonwoo said.

"But to—"

"Tae, Tae! Look outside!"

"Wh..what the is that?"

"Jin, tell me I'm hallucinating."

"No, Kook. It's true..."

Jun, Wonwoo and Jihoon exchange glances for a second, before running outside Jun's room to follow his classmates and other students who're staring outside the window of the hallway.

Their jaws dropped upon the sight they're witnessing.

It's raining... of flowers.