Introduction

Hanahaki Strings

"er, how dare you stab me on my back?!" Seungcheol furiously exclaimed as he violently pushed his classmate when they reached the back of their building.

 

The poor boy trembled in fear as he frantically sat. "I'm s-sorry! I didn't mean it! I swear, I didn't!"

 

Seungcheol's gaze turned darker at the response, "I'm sorry? You didn't mean it? How the hell would it compensate for the grade I lost?" He leaned down to grip the boy's collar, "I know you ing hate me, everyone ing does! But I know you are aware of how important my grades are for me and that I never kid around about it! So why the ing hell would you ing do that?!"

 

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I didn't mean it! I just didn't believe it when you asked me to be your partner because you never talk to me about it! So I thought you're just messing around with me!" The man cowered in fear as he desperately tried to explain to the furious man holding him, "everyone in our class told me to ignore what you said! They told me you can handle it alone and that I was just your next target because I accidentally hit you so you asked me! I'm s-sorry!"

 

Seungcheol closed his eyes in an attempt to calm himself down. He could sense the sincerity in the boy's voice. He let go of the boy's collar in a rather harsh way. The man quickly crawled backwards, still trembling while avoiding his eyes.

 

"You…" Seungcheol trailed off, "I will let this pass just this once but if you ever do that again, I swear I'll break your limbs."

 

"I-I understand."

 

"Do something about my grades," Seungcheol added with a menacing gaze directed to the poor man, "if you won't, I'll make sure you won't ever walk again. Do you ing understand me?"

 

The man nodded frantically, "Y-yes! I understand, I'll t-talk with Ms. Kim."

 

With one last glare, Seungcheol strode away with heavy footsteps.

 

Everyone who would come across Seungcheol would immediately move or give way. He's wearing his murderous look that scares everyone off. They wouldn't want to mess up with Seungcheol with that kind of look on his face.

 

Seungcheol went inside the restroom, banging the door loudly, not caring for the other male students who's using the restroom. He went straight to the sink to wash his hands thoroughly, as if he caught a bacteria.

 

The other people inside seemed to be annoyed by Seungcheol's nonchalant, arrogant action. But they chose to stay silent as they saw he's not in the mood to give to everyone who wants to beat him.

 

When he finished washing his hands, he shot a piercing glare towards the others who's staring at his every move. They looked away immediately while Seungcheol just rolled his eyes and went out.

 

As soon as he reached his dorm room, he slumped himself in his bed and closed his eyes.

 

He has no roommate. He was alone and no one wants to share a room with him because they are all scared of him. All his previous roommates would go to the head's office to complain and would be asked to change rooms. The head grew tired of all the complaints so he decided not to give Seungcheol a roommate.

 

But despite his image that everyone had seen on him, he hates being alone, although he's literally alone. He wants to have a roommate too, who he can have late night talks with, who he can worry about when it's already past curfew yet he still wasn't back, who he can confide with what's happening to him.

 

He has no friends. His parents separated when he was just a child and they're just supporting his financial needs. He was all alone.

 

But he can't do anything about it. Everyone's scared of him and no one wants him near them.

 

He finds them pathetic and stupid. He always thought about how stupid they are for believing the rumors about him beating people up when he wants to. Just because someone who had witnessed him beating up a group of boys who cornered him spread a false rumor, everyone else sees him as a delinquent. Where in fact he was just defending himself from those people who tried to put him down.

 

It was absurd being labelled as a delinquent, yet he couldn't find it in himself to deny the rumors nor to defend himself. He let them believe it and because of it, he was naturally isolated from the other students, as if there's an invisible barrier between him and the others.

 

He was avoided, ignored, and feared. No one dares to approach him for the almost six years of his stay in their freaking school. If there's anyone who would, it wasn't a pleasant approach.

 

He couldn't even experience dating because no one wants to befriend him nor get too close to him.

 

So he spends his everyday life alone, away from those people. 

 

He's spending his everyday life, wishing for his soulmate to show up.

 

Because he believed that once his soulmate shows up, he won't be alone anymore. Someone would understand him, would believe him, would stay by his side.

 

He may be a delinquent in other people's eyes, but he is also a human who longed for love and care which he never received.

 

He's just a poor, lonely boy who seeks for love and company.

 

Yet everyone else sees him as a freakin' delinquent.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"AAAAAAAAAH!"

 

Jeonghan suppressed his laugh as he tiptoed his way out of the teacher's office.

 

When he was sure he's safe to go, he quickly ran and stopped at the stairways. There he let out his laugh he's been suppressing.

 

He looked like a psycho as he laughed endlessly. He would stop for a moment to wipe the tears in his eyes but laughed again as he remembered what he just did to their physical education teacher.

 

"That was lit, Yoon Jeonghan! You're so great man!" He complimented himself and laughed once again.

 

When he finally regained his composure, he made his way to his dorm room and went straight to their mini-fridge to drink some water.

 

"Ah, my poor throat," he uttered before he drank one bottle in one go.

 

He then slumped himself in his bed. He was tired because he prepared that prank on his teacher for two hours and waited in the teacher's office for one and a half hours. He hasn't eaten anything yet because he's busy pranking his teacher who gave him zero on their physical activity earlier on in their class.

 

He hates that teacher for underestimating his capabilities in sports because he has a low stamina. He hates being underestimated in general. So he did what he did to get himself out of his anger to his teacher since he doesn't want to have lingering anger whenever they're having class.

 

And pranking people who he believed had wronged him or annoyed him is his way of removing his anger and releasing his stress because he didn't want to prolong his anger or it will just turn out bad.

 

He then remembered his classmate who also mocked him when their physical education teacher told him he's zero in their activity. It was the famous Kwon Soonyoung of the dance troupe in his academy, who's known to be such an annoying fellow along with his two younger friends. They would tease everyone whenever they had the chance. They love teasing and annoying people as much as Jeonghan loves pranking others. But unlike Jeonghan, they weren't hated. They were loved because their antics were funny and harmless. 

 

And that boy specifically loves teasing Jeonghan. They're not that close, but he would always tease and annoy him and remembering it right now has given Jeonghan an idea of what to do next.

 

He clapped his hand excitedly as he laughed at his own thoughts.

 

Just you wait, Kwon Soonyoung , he thought. I'll make sure you'll embarrass yourself on your own. You dare to pissed me off, huh?

 

He was interrupted in his thoughts when the door of their room creaked as it was opened by his Chinese roommate— Wen Junhui.

 

Jeonghan sensed something was off with him. Junhui was bright and bubbly. He would always greet him when they're in their room but now, he's walking slowly towards his bed with his head hung low.

 

Jeonghan immediately approached him, "Jun, what's wrong?" He asked directly, holding both of his shoulders to make the latter face him.

 

Junhui heaved a deep, long sigh before raising his head to look at Jeonghan, "Jeonghan..."

 

"What is it?" Jeonghan asked.

 

"I failed two of our exams earlier," Jun uttered in a low voice, his face looked so sad.

 

Jeonghan sympathetically looked at his roommate. He knew how important it is to Jun to pass those exams to pass the qualifications of the scholarship examination.

 

His friend, Jun, was broke for his parents were in China and would just send him money once a month. Jun would want to work, but he's studying in a boarding school where they can only leave the campus premises every weekend. Luckily for him, he passed the scholarship, with the help of Jeonghan, so his stay here in their school was quite nice because everything was free. 

 

But he needs to pass the exam in order for him to pass the qualifications to have a test for the scholarship he applied for for his college. And he's having a very difficult time passing it. He just got lucky that Jeonghan found him a tutor to help him back then.

 

Jeonghan then lifted Jun's chin, and gave him a soft smile, "I'll help you find a tutor again, alright? Since I'm not smart enough to tutor you and I'm too lazy to read books, the least that I can do is to help you find someone who can tutor you. I knew so many smart people anyway. It won't be that hard."

 

Jun's eyes brightened up for a moment, but he realized something and his shoulder fell once again, "But I don't have enough money to pay for their service," he mumbled.

 

Jeonghan jokingly punched his shoulders, "Leave it on me."

 

"You won't pay for it in behalf of m—"

 

"No, no. Just leave it on me, okay? Trust me. All you have to do is focus on your retake while I'll search for some possible tutor."

 

Jun just nodded and he flashed a wide smile, sighing in relief, "Thank you so much, Jeonghan! You don't have an idea how helpful it is to me if I found myself a tutor. I'm kinda struggling in Korean Literature and some Science stuff. I really need some help on that."

 

"Anything for you," Jeonghan ruffled the younger's hair and went back to his bed.

 

Jeonghan may be a prankster but when he started to care for someone, he would care selflessly . 

 

He would listen to their problem without hesitation, no matter how long it takes for them to open up.

 

He loves helping as much as he loves pranking. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Hey Josh!"

 

Joshua immediately turned around to see his classmate, Jo Sooyoon, who's calling for him.

 

The boy smiled shyly at him, "Uh, I just want to ask if you finished our homework yesterday?"

 

"Ah, yeah. I finished it all last night. Why? Do you want to copy it?" Joshua offered innocently.

 

The boy, Jo Sooyoon, prevented himself from grinning as Joshua offered him his assignment. He knew so well that the innocent man would say it and so he decided to approach him in that way. 

 

Sooyoon smiled and nodded, "If it's alright for you..." he said, acting all shy.

 

"Of course, why not," he said as he rummaged through his bag and gave his homework to Sooyoon.

 

"Thank you! I'll give it back immediately," Sooyoon said and Joshua just smiled as he left. He quickly turned back to the book he's reading, not noticing his homework which was passed along the whole class.

 

It was so chaotic as they were fighting over his notebook. Joshua didn't bother to hear what was the cause of the noise as he was used to it and it became normal for him.

 

He continued reading silently. It's a vacant time for their supposed teacher who was absent and fortunately, didn't leave any activities which is why they are all chaotic. He had no more to do since he already finished the homework given by their next teacher.

 

While Joshua's too preoccupied, someone sat beside him and stole the book he's reading. He was about to whine when he saw who it was.

 

"And I thought you'll sleep in the garden?" he asked his friend, Jeon Wonwoo , who was the one who stole his book.

 

Wonwoo returned the book after skimming through it. Joshua closed it to face his friend.

 

"There's a couple making out there. Almost like ing each other," Wonwoo said nonchalantly.

 

Joshua's eyes widened and he immediately slapped Wonwoo's arm, "What the— what was that for?" Wonwoo asked, surprised.

 

"How can you say that so nonchalantly? You're so blunt! Someone might hear you," Joshua scolded the younger one.

 

Wonwoo rolled his eyes, "I forgot you're a saint."

 

"I'm not. It's just inappropriate for our age."

 

"Yeah, yeah, whatever," Wonwoo said.

 

Just then, they heard a familiar voice yelling from behind. They both turned around and saw their friend— Lee Jihoon — holding Joshua's notebook that he lent to Sooyoon.

 

"What's wrong with you, Jihoon?" Sooyoon asked in a very annoyed tone.

 

Jihoon glared at him, causing the latter to step back a little.

 

"You sick bastard, you're putting Joshua in trouble!" Jihoon yelled at him.

 

Joshua and Wonwoo quickly went to Jihoon to stop him. Wonwoo had an idea on what's happening while Joshua was completely clueless.

 

"Jihoon, what's happening here? And why are you holding my notebook?" he asked Jihoon.

 

"Why did you lend your homework to this bastard? He's sharing it to everyone! Mind you, it wasn't just homework, Joshua!" Jihoon said.

 

Joshua's eyes slowly glanced at Sooyoon who shook his head, then he turned back to Jihoon.

 

"It's not like that, Jiho—"

 

"Let me guess, you offered your homework, didn't you?" Jihoon cuts him off.

 

"Yeah, because he nee—"

 

"And why would you do that?!"

 

"Because Sooyoon is my friend." Joshua answered, "seriously, what's with you, Jihoon?"

 

Jihoon laughed sarcastically while Wonwoo remained silent. Joshua's forehead creased, confused as to why his friend is laughing.

 

"Seriously, Joshua Hong? You thought he thinks of you as a friend? He's just taking advantage of your kindness and generosity, for pete's sake!" Jihoon blurted out.

 

Joshua's eyes widened, "what do you mean?" he asked, very confused.

 

Jihoon was about to answer him when their next teacher entered. They all quickly went to their own seats while Jihoon secretly gave Joshua his notebook before going to his seat. Meanwhile, Joshua was still confused by what Jihoon just said.

 

What was that supposed to mean? He thought as he walked to his chair.

 

All throughout the class, Joshua is thinking of what Jihoon blurted out. He was really confused. For Joshua, he and Soo yoon are friends since Sooyoon would often talk to him and ask him about his assignments.

 

Little did Joshua know, what Jihoon said was right.

 

When the bell rang indicating the class ended, the teacher immediately left followed by the students. Joshua immediately went to Wonwoo and Jihoon who's sitting beside each other.

 

"Hey, Lee Jihoon. You've got some explaining to do," he told Jihoon who just rolled his eyes.

 

"You're really dumb, Josh,” Jihoon spat.

 

"What th—"

 

Jihoon cuts him off immediately, "Why can't you differentiate the people who're treating you genuinely and those who're just taking advantage of you?" He asked, his tone was clearly annoyed.

 

Joshua's lips parted. He didn't know what to say. He had no idea what Jihoon was implying.

 

Jihoon sighed in frustration and was about to yell it in front of Joshua when Wonwoo stopped him. He signalled Jihoon that he'll explain it, which the latter just agreed. It's better for the calm Wonwoo to explain it rather than the hot-headed Jihoon. He might end up yelling at Joshua if he continued.

 

Wonwoo then faced the clueless Joshua, "Listen, Josh. Jihoon was mad earlier because of Sooyoon. He was mad because that er took advantage of your innocence once again. He knew you'll offer your own homework and so he asked you. He shared it with his friends like he always does when you lend your homeworks to him. It annoyed Jihoon— and me that you're so dense of the people around you, using your kindness to benefit them. Do you understand it, Joshua? They're all not genuine in befriending you, they're using you."

 

Joshua didn't answer. Again, he didn't know what to say.

 

The two let out a sigh as they ruffle Joshua's hair in frustration. They knew Joshua didn't fully understand what Wonwoo explained, and they decided to just let him be. 

 

"You know what? It's pointless to explain it to you. Let's just go. We'll just have to handle it anyway," Jihoon said and walked out of the room, leaving Joshua and Wonwoo behind.

 

Wonwoo then patted Joshua's shoulder, "Don't think about it anymore. Let's just go ahead," he said and walked away from Joshua..

 

Joshua sighed and followed his friends. He decided not to think of what they told him since aside from he couldn't get it, he didn't want to think ill of his classmate.

 

He put Wonwoo and Jihoon in a headlock as soon as he reached them, "You two, you're giving me a headache!" He said.

 

Jihoon easily shoved him away which Joshua just chuckled at, his other arms remained on Wonwoo's shoulder, tiptoeing a bit to reach it.

 

"Shouldn't we be the one to say that? You're such a baby when in fact, you're the oldest among us three. We always need to keep an eye on you," Jihoon fired back, rolling his eyes.

 

"Hey! When did I become a baby?" Joshua whined.

 

"You're a baby. Big, dumb, innocent baby," Wonwoo .

 

They went on their way as Jihoon and Wonwoo continued teasing Joshua while he would whacked their head teasingly from time to time.

 

Joshua's too innocent for his own good. He never looks at the bad side of people because he believes kindness would always overpower it.

 

Yet despite all of that, he knows how to be very playful if he wants. In a considerate way, since he never wanted to go overboard with his jokes and unintentionally hurt other people's feelings.