Chapter 8 : Silent Movie under the stars

Logryeon : the unsinkable ship a Penthouse AU

It’s around 1.50am, The ship is losing power, as such the lights are gradually turning orange and as the water has flooded the boiler room, the ship’s steam decreases.

Water already reaches the C deck and people in lifeboats can see luxury furniture floatings in the cabins.

The crowd is stirring, but many women are still reluctant to climb into lifeboats.

 

Yoon Chul is growing anxious to not see his friend come back and is contemplating searching for him.

-“You don’t understand, even if he couldn’t climb on a boat, we don’t have time to search for him now ! can’t you see the situation ? we couldn’t find a boat for us two ! How are we supposed to find three places in this mess ?!”

-“But…”

Yoonchul stops middle-sentence when Joo Dan Tae passes in front of them with a little girl cradled in his arms. He shoves people out of his way to make his way to the deck. “I have a child ! I have a child ! let me pass goddamnit !”

Second officer Lightoller gathers the child into his arms and gives it to a lady in the boat.

“I beg you, I am the only one she has in the world” says Dantae, his gaze earnest and his tone desperate. Lightoller darts glances around him.

“Alright. But it will be the only exception”

Junki is stupefied.

“That…that jerk, it’s Su-Ryeon-ssi’s fiance, right ? We never heard he had a kid ! He is a complete fraud !”

Yoonchul is suddenly pushed in the back. A flow of men are rushing toward the boat in hope of climbing on it. Junki grabs him by the arm

“Let’s go, we need to find another way, we are out of time”

 

They cross paths with the shipbuilder Thomas Andrews, the man is waving and speaking in a loud voice, trying to cover the tumult.

“Ladies, there is no time to lose ! We don’t have the luxury of choosing our boats ! Don’t wait and climb onto lifeboats as soon as possible !” Yoonchul and Junki note that almost nobody is paying attention to the man and that dismay is clear on his face. They carry on walking, Thomas Andrews giving up behind them and beginning to gather chairs to throw it in the ocean, hoping it could save someone later.


 

Logan knew they had to do something, run the other way, but a cold fear creeps into his veins paralysing him in place.. His mind in a daze, all he can do is push Su-Ryeon behind him abruptly.

Mr. Jo seems to take forever to lift his gun toward them.

“No !” he screams, his own voice sounding foreign to him. Behind him, Su-Ryeon grips on his coat compulsively, her breath erratic.

“Please stand back” says Mr. Jo, his voice devoid of any emotion.

Logan blinks a few times, staying frozen in place before complying, his mind blurry.

Two loud bangs explode in the air with Su-Ryeon jumping into his embrace. Disoriented with his ears still ringing from the detonations, Logan loosen his arms around her slowly,

“You can get out. Now if you’ll excuse me” adds Mr. Jo, sliding open the gates. Su-Ryeon lifts her head from Logan’s shoulders, her voice only a whisper.

“Thank…thank you”

His expression remaining blank, Mr. Jo bows slightly and turns back to walk away. Tension leaves Logan’s body, with Su-Ryeon letting out a huge breath next to him, her shoulders slumping. Logan turns toward her. Her head lowered, she is staring at her feet.

“Are you…”

Su-Ryeon lands a small punch on his chest.

“Why did you do that ? idiot ! ” she says, her voice cracking. Her eyes shimmering with tears, she grips on his coat.

“I couldn’t let him shoot you, I didn’t think” he says, scratching his head.

Su-Ryeon wipes her eyes nervously. Logan wraps his arms around her, patting her back briefly.

“Here, here it’s over now”

He pulls away from her, seeking her gaze that she finally meets.

“It’s alright, I am fine, right ?” he asks, his tone soothing. She nods slowly, her eyes still glossy.

“If you feel better, we really need to go”


 

Yoonchul and Junki are making their way through a sea of people. Some are wandering aimlessly, others seem to have given up and gather in front of the orchestra who is still playing, despite water reaching the railing of the A deck.

The two friends hear static before the voice of Captain Smith rises in the cold night, covering the chaos briefly.

“"Well boys, do your best for the women and children, and look out for yourselves.”*

 

“Okay, this is becoming serious, we need to hurry,” yells Junki over his shoulders.

“But where should we go ?”

Junki pushes aside people and points to a group of people on the roof of the officer’s quarters. Crew members and passengers led by First Officer Murdoch are trying to ready two boats, fastening them to the davits.

“To our last hope of course” answers Junki.

The two men elbow their way through the crowd and finally join the circle gathered in front of the two remaining collapsibles.

Mr. Murdoch looks around him.

“We won’t have time ! we have to cut the falls, right now !”

“I need a knife ! Who has a knife ?! ” Yells another man.

The colonel Gracie who is also present hands him over his knife. Junki also gets a pocket knife out of his coat and they begin to cut into the cords detaining the collapsible A.


 

Logan and Su-Ryeon enter the First Class smoking room, and Su-Ryeon spots Mr. Andrews in front of the fireplace. His shoulders slumped, he is fixing a clock, his gaze absent.

“Mr. Andrews ! Aren’t you going to try ?”

The eyes that he lands on her are melancholic.

“I am sorry I didn’t build you a stronger ship, Miss Su-Ryeon”

 

Logan shifts his gaze between the two and the environment around them. Few rooms away from them, he hears a loud crash, probably a huge pile of plate and what was supporting it.

He swallows with difficulty, his jaw tight. Mr Andrews is a kind hearted man and is still so young and yet he could not pass the night, just like them. But they can’t stay behind any longer.

Logan places his hand on Su-Ryeon, squeezing her shoulder gently.

“Su-Ryeon-ssi, it’s going fast. We should go. I wish you the best of luck, Mr. Andrews”

Su-Ryeon’s shoulders sag under his hands. She goes over to Mr. Andrews and hugs him.

“Goodbye, Mr. Andrews” she says, her tone wobbly. Mr. Andrews stops her as she turns around.

“Wait” he takes his folded lifejacket on a table and hands it to Logan.

“Good luck to you Miss Su-Ryeon, and to you too Logan…Goodbye” he says, his smile not reaching his eyes.

The couple turns back and leaves him behind with a heavy heart, pushing open the door of the Cafe Parisien.


 

On the deck, the first notes of Nearer God My Thee are played by the Orchestra. Officer Murdoch’s crew along with Junki and Yoonchul tried to make the boats slide on oars to lower it. Their attempt was successful with the first boat, but the collapsible B fell upside down. Water up their knees, they keep busying themselves, ignoring the paralyzing cold creeping up in their limbs.

Logan and Su-Ryeon finish their ascent and reach the boat deck, with a flow of third class passengers bursting at the same time. It is around 2.00 am and the men have finally been ordered to go up.

People’s pace is frantic as they dash to the stern who keep rising in the air, with Logan and SuRyeon weaving their way between them. The cold air around them is so thick it compresses their chest, smothering each intake of air.

Out of breath, Su-Ryeon slows down her pace slightly when she is pushed aside brutally, yanking her out of Logan’s grasp. She falls on her stomach, gasping for air. The rugged wooden floor is quaking beneath her palms. Fearing she is going to be crushed mercilessly under the feet of the swarm of passengers, she rolls on her side and rises on her knees, her whole body in pain. Logan is calling for her desperately amongst the crowd above her.

A man grabs her arm and helps her up. Judging by his attire, he is a cook.

“Are you alright, Miss ?”

She forces a smile, smoothing down her dress.

“Yes, thank you very much”

Logan keeps pacing back and forth, stopping people in their tracks. When he spots her his eyes brighten.

“Su-Ryeon-ssi !”

He runs to her, wrapping her in a tight embrace.

“Are you okay ? Did you get hurt ?”

She shakes her head.

“I am okay”

He lifts her arms to check for injuries. Sharp pain shoots through her left elbow when he skims over the area. His grimace mirrors her own.

“This is no good at all,” he mumbles, biting his lips. Su-Ryeon lay her hand on his arm.

“We are out of time, this is just a minor injury, look” she says, waving her arm.

Worry still marring his features, he considers her silently before taking her hand, interlacing his fingers with hers.

“We have to stay on the ship as long as possible and we will have to run, so you don’t let go of my hand, ever,”


The last notes of Nearer God my Thee fade unnoticed. The musician Wallace Hartley lowers his violin, the ocean at his feet.

“Well, you guys. It has been a privilege to play with you tonight”

At the same time, a wave hit the deck, washing away the two remaining lifeboats and the people surrounding it. The first officer Murdoch will never reappear from the water who engulfed him.

Junki grabs the edge of the collapsible A, and manages to climb on it with other passengers, but Yoonchul is nowhere to be seen. His eyes cloudy from the salty water, he peers into the horizon, calling for his friend desperately.

Yoon Chul finally emerges from the water, struggling to stay afloat.

“Yoon Chul ! Over here !”

Yoon Chul spins his head toward his voice and swim awkwardly toward him.

He is almost at the rowboat when they hear a series of cracks followed by a rumble. The cords which were holding one of the funnels had just snapped and the huge column is now staggering in its place.

Junki grabs Yoon Chul’s hand and begins to pull him up, his gaze fixated on the chimney which is bending dangerously.

“Hurry up, dude ! use these muscles !” yells Junki as Yoonchul groans under the effort to haul himself up. Yoonchul rolls into the craft, his whole body shaken by violent coughs

“Get a grip, you’re way too soft for god’s sake” says Junki, slapping him gently in the back. His hand stops when the funnel finally breaks in two in front of his spellbound eyes, falling on several swimmers in a concert of roars and sparks akin to thunder.

Junki and Yoonchul's boat is washed away from the ship by the gigantic wave created by the fall.


 

When Mr. Jo finally crosses the last flight of stairs leading to the grand staircase, he is welcomed by screaming and agitation, with people holding onto pillars or banisters while progressing in waist-deep water. He closes the last remaining distance when the ground under him shakes violently, the tremor gaining the walls who creak all around him. He throws a glance behind him. The glass dome vibrates before it collapses, gallons of water pouring in, crushing the most unfortunate who are directly under it and sweeping away the others.

Plunged underwater, he swims desperately toward the windows which had imploded due to the shock. Despite his apparent misfortune, when he swims outside, he spots a lifeboat. He quickens his motions and breath in relief when he recognizes Dan Tae who is trying to ward off people from climbing into the boat.

“No ! you’ll swamp us !” he screams, lifting a paddle.

“Sir ! Sir !” shouts Mr. Jo, furiously beating his feet to join his employer.

Dan Tae finally notices him and he lowers his makeshift weapon. Mr. Jo places his hand on the edge of the lifeboat, ready to climb on. Dan Tae squats in front of him, breaking into a smile.

“You know, it is not personal, I really enjoyed our collaboration. I really, really like you…But what to do ? I am afraid there is no room left for you…I wish you the best of luck” says Dan Tae, his smile turning cold.

Mr. Jo eyes widen as Dan Tae lifts his paddle above his head.

“Sir…Sir…what are you doing ? ” says Mr. Jo, his voice trembling.

“Like I said. Nothing personal”

Releasing the edge of the boat quickly, Mr. Jo dives into the water, the paddle slapping the water just above him.


 

Logan and Su-Ryeon keep floundering their way to their destination, struggling against the slope, becoming steeper at each of their steps. Logan is holding onto the railings, Su-Ryeon’s hand clasped in his free hand. Some people next to them slip before hurtling down toward the ocean.

They pass in front of a priest, gripping on a banister while reciting a prayer. Several are forming a circle around him, their expression solemn and their palms joined in a prayer.

Logan places Su-Ryeon in front of him, supporting her weight while she goes up the stairs.


 

In almost total darkness, the lifeboats surrounding the ship are staring in horrified fascination, The Titanic keeps rising toward the sky, pealing like thunder into the night. The weakening lights on the ship are glowing almost flame orange, illuminating dimly the throng of people running or hanging onto whatever they can find. Some are jumping from the vessel, dark figures splashing into the water. Shrieks, notes of music, heavy crashes and shattering of glass complete the horrifying spectacle unfolding in front of their eyes.

In her lifeboat Yoonhee shut her eyes, rocking back and forth while hugging herself. Are her friends safe or are they amongst the people trapped on the ship, screaming in despair ?

“Su-Ryeon-unni…Yoonchul…everyone…please” she pleads in her mind.


 

Logan grabs the icy metal railing of the stern, holding Su-Ryeon against him. Around them people are hanging to whatever they can be it railing, other passengers or wooden benches.

“Help ! Help me please !” screams a woman, only hanging by a mere hand to a cord.

The woman finally lets go, her scream echoing in Su-Ryeon’s ear. She squeezes her eyes shut, trying to pour all her attention to the thudding of Logan’s heart against her ear.

“Thump…thump” she counts into her head, but she loses track, his heart is beating way too fast.

His chin tickles the top of her hair as he keeps darting his gaze around him, his arms surrounding her tensing as the agitation keeps intensifying, with a continuous stream of cracking and popping coming from inside the ship with everything inside sliding forward. Logan’s chest rises and falls rapidly, his breath drawing clouds of vapor into the air.

Su-Ryeon lifts her head from his chest, searching for his eyes.

“Logan…”

He shifts his gaze to her and she deplores the usual spark is missing from his eyes. He still smiles faintly.

“Yes…what is it ?”

“This is where we first met,” she says, forcing a cheerful tone.

His expression bittersweet, he presses his lips against her forehead. He hugs her close again, his fingers getting tangled into her matted curls.

“You’re right…it seems so far away now” he says.

His voice fades into the rising clamor of the other passengers as the lights definitely go extinct, darkness swallowing them whole.


 

Dread twists Su-Ryeon’s stomach into knots as the ground starts to shake under her feet, foretelling of what is about to come. A dull rumble sweeps across the ship, silencing all hollers instantly. Everyone stiffens, not even daring to breathe when an ear-shattering screech rips the air next. The Titanic is buckling under her own weight, the sound of the hull being torn apart driving all on the edge of insanity.

Logan grabs her by the two arms to switch their position, securing her between the railing and himself. He places her clammy hands onto the railing.

“Grab onto tight” he says, pressing himself against her back to hold her in place.

“But what is happening ?!”

Her words get caught into when the hull snaps in two, ripping all aboard of gravity instantly as it nosedives toward the ocean.

Cold wind rushes around and slaps her face as the scenery flashes in front of her eyes, the dark pit of water getting close way too fast, twisting her stomach to the point of nausea.

She crashes against the railing when the stern plummets into the water, crushing people under it and producing a gigantic wave that devours several swimmers instantly.

The more unfortunate on deck are thrown overboard by the shock, their scream dying in the night.


 

A long collective wail travels until the lifeboats surrounding the mutilated vessel.

“Is she going to stay afloat ?” asks a woman next to Yoonhee. Her whole body numbed and her skin streaked by dried tears, she doesn’t even turn in the direction of the voice. Her stare remains fixated on the unearthly shape almost indistinguishable in the darkness.

Water surges into the gaping fissures, engulfing the bow quickly beneath its waves.


 

Su-Ryeon's heart is trashing into her ears, the ringing muffling all surrounding sounds.

“But he is here” she thinks, feeling Logan’s arms around her, his breath shallow against her neck.

Everyone is oddly still around her apart from the massive cloud of sparks and continuous rumbling meters away from them, where the ship just broke up.

Another funnel crashes into the water, making Su-Ryeon jump.

And then the ship lifst again. Logan shifts behind her, his relative warmth leaving her to extend his arm carefully toward the flag pole.

Shrieking and wailing break around her again as the ship keeps rising toward the sky, her propellers shining faintly in the night.

“We have to move !” he says, sliding behind the railing. Her feet lose almost all contact with the ground now and the sky keep getting closer but she stubbornly clenches on the railing, paralysed.

“I can’t !”

“Of course you can, give me your hand, right now !” he urges her, throwing glances around him.

A young man next to Su-Ryeon suddenly lets go of the metal bar and hurtles toward the ocean. Shaking uncontrollably, Su-Ryeon reaches for Logan’s hand, her limbs weighing tons.

“I got you, now climb !”

His hands slip on her wrists when he pulls her up.

When he finally slides her under him, she flattens herself against the hull, gripping on the railing until her knuckles turn white.

The ship is now standing vertical, as if trying to gaze at the stars.

Logan covers her body with his own as people around them keep letting go, their bodies like dislocated puppets crashing against each other or structures, their screams of pain and their bones breaking haunting.

Her breath ragged, she shut her eyes, her whimpers dying in . But it is futile, she can still hear and see them behind her closed eyelids.

 

The Titanic rocks on her base and she opens her eyes, crossing gaze with the cook who helped her earlier. A last tremor shakes the ship, fear pooling into her stomach like acid before the final plunge begins. Logan straightens up above her, inciting her to do the same by grabbing her hand.

“This is the end !”

The ship sinks into the dark water, her speed increasing as she goes down, the sparks coming from inside akin to thunder.

“No…no…no. My god, no please” pleads Su-Ryeon, gripping on the railing. Almost like she was answering, the ship let out an agonizing creak, as if she was crying from a mortal wound*.

Logan raises his voice.

“The ship is going to us down, you take a deep breath when I say and you never let go of my hand” Her gaze fixated on the seething water below, Su-Ryeon nods in agreement.

“We are going to make it. You trust me, right ?” he adds.

Su-Ryeon finally turns toward him.

“ I trust you”

Logan smiles.

“Good, and even if I…” His next words are muted by the background noise. She only sees his lips moving, like watching a silent movie.

The water whirling just under them is deafening, and a salty fog rises from the surface, pricking Su-Ryeon’s nose and eyes.

“What did you say ?!” screams Su-Ryeon. He doesn’t repeat, he gestures to her to inhale with the water just below their feet. She takes a deep breath, Logan’s fingers secured into her own, before being engulfed by the darkness.

The clock where Logan set their first date stops, its hands fixed on 2.20am forever as the Titanic sinks into the depth of the Ocean.

 

As Su-Ryeon is plunged underwater and she gasps, fighting for air, like she was getting choked by an invisible hand, the silent movie replays in her head with sounds and colors.

Their hands get untangled and the realization of his words stab her right into her heart, the pain even more massive than the one she is experiencing in her whole body, as if it was possible.

 

“Good…and even if I don’t make it, promise you will, I want you to die as an old lady, surrounded by lots of kids you watched grow”

 


Author’s notes

  • "Well boys, do your best for the women and children, and look out for yourselves.” are apparently words the captain really said on the ship.

  • While watching the movie, I always had this strong feeling as the ship sank, it sounded like she was “crying”. Hoping I wasn’t a crazy woman, I searched around and one user on a forum recounted a testimony which is close to what I felt.

“I seem to recall one account which described a sound from the sinking ship that was similar to an "agonizing sound" as if the ship was "a large beast crying from its mortal wound"

(Source https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/community/threads/what-did-it-sound-like.9342/)

  • If you want to know what passage it is from, it’s at the 1.46min mark :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd53_7n-OlA