[END] Chapter 10 : Love, parties and the dream

Logryeon : the unsinkable ship a Penthouse AU

April 15th, around 11pm.

 

Su-Ryeon’s eyelids are heavy from sleep and her mind is in a fog but it seems to be forever since she felt that comfortable and warm. She rubs her eyes and opens them slowly. The room she is in is dimly lit and she can hear people breathing peacefully around her. She is tucked under heavy covers. She turns her head around toward Logan, who propped on an elbow, is trying to fight sleep. He blinks a few times before opening his eyes wide.

“You…you’re awake ? Are you alright ?” Su-Ryeon nods.

“Where…where are we ? Where is everyone ?”

“After you collapsed we were brought to a cabin. Yoon Hee is sleeping just above our couch, and Yoon Chul and Junki are in the next row, don’t you hear them snoring ?”

Su-Ryeon smiles weakly.

“Everyone is safe…what a relief”

She has trouble sorting her thoughts and fully believing they made it alive through that terrible nightmare.

Logan raises.

“Are you hungry ? you missed dinner but we managed to sneak some for you” He busy himself peeling fruits for her while she looks at him quietly.

“Here, you need to eat something” he hands her an orange with a smile. She notices his hand tremble slightly.

She isn’t hungry at all, although it has been hours since she last ate. But something in his behavior tells her she should accept it.

“Thank you” she says, taking it with a smile. Observing him better he looks really pale and black circles are visible under his glossy eyes.

“Say…how long did I…stay asleep ?” she asks, eating an orange quarter. Logan looks up as if trying to remember.

“We climbed aboard the Carpathia around 8am ? so…almost 15 hours, maybe ?”

“And I bet you didn’t rest at all in the meantime ?”

“You have no idea how scared I was, how could I think of resting or sleeping ? I almost lost you there” Logan thinks, rubbing his eyes.

“I am not tired,” he answers, forcing a smile. Su-Ryeon gobbles her orange in a hurry.

She gulps down the cup of water he hands her in a hurry.

“Look, I ate, I am fine, right ? so now you rest”

“Like I said I…” She wraps her arms around his neck.

“Then let’s say I am and I want you to lie down next to me ?” Logan sighs against her hair.

She snuggles against him when they lay down. He caresses her hair.

“I was…We were really scared earlier when you suddenly fainted. They had to empty that cabin and we had to wait…but you didn’t even shift the whole time, there was this commotion all around but you, you were so still…I…”

She tightens her arms around him.

“I am sorry, you must have been so worried…but now I am fine, so you can relax and rest, right ?”

She has many things she would want to tell him but nothing comes to mind. His breathing becomes regular and she guesses he has fallen asleep.

“You are cute, so stop frowning like that” she whispers.

She smooths down a line on his forehead with her finger but he doesn’t move an inch.


 

April 16th, in the morning.

What strikes her the most when they are waiting in the line for breakfast in the third class dining room is the quietness. Only muffled chatters and clinks of cutlery can be heard in the gloomy atmosphere. Yoon Hee hugs her when she joins them at their table.

“Unni…I am so relieved you are finally up” Su-Ryeon ruffles her hair.

“I am glad you boarded safely too”

Junki leans in and speaks in a low voice.

“Apparently the ship changed its course, it will go back to New York instead of Rijeka like it was initially planned”

“That’s a relief, we have to think about what to do once we arrive” answers Yoon Chul.

Su-Ryeon is only half listening, her eyes fixated on the double door while eating her breakfast. In normal circumstances, the fruits and toasts she is eating would overjoy her, but right now it’s like she is munching on paper and cardboard. She swallows her orange juice with a grimace.

What if that man made it too and tries to seek them aboard ? Her stomach churns and she releases her toast on its plate. She spots Mr. Jo, who is eating a few tables away from her group, his head lowered.

“Su-Ryeon-ssi, Su-Ryeon-ssi ?” Su-Ryeon snaps out of her thoughts. Everyone is staring at her with worry.

“Oh…I am sorry, what were you talking about ?”

“You look pale, are you still unwell ?” asks Logan, his hand on her forehead.

“I am perfectly fine. I was just distracted, sorry”


 

While they are walking on the promenade deck in the afternoon, her suspicions are proven right. Su-Ryeon clenches on Logan’s hand who is busy chatting with Yoon Chul.

“Naive…naive, why am I not surprised ?”

“Logan…he is here” she whispers, her voice rushed. Logan turns toward her.

“Who ?”

Logan looks in the direction she is pointing.

Dan Tae is climbing down the small stairs separating him from their decks.

“That jerk…” grits Logan between his teeth.

“I don’t want to see him…I don't want to see him” repeats Su-Ryeon. Logan throws glances around him.

“Let’s go over there” he grabs Yoon Chul by the arm.

“Come here you all” he whispers, gesturing to others to follow him.

“What’s wrong ?”

Logan opens a door and the group all cram into a small storage room. Logan and Su-Ryeon peer into the porthole.

“Joo Dantae, you punk…I can’t believe it” curses Logan.

“Why did he come here ?” asks Junki in a low voice.

“He probably came to check if Su-Ryeon-ssi made it, obviously”

“We saw how he managed to secure a place in a lifeboat…he pretended to have a child. He is despicable !” answers Yoon Chul.

“Spineless piece of sh*t !” Logan slams his hand on the wall.

Su-Ryeon stays silent, studying Joo Dan Tae with piercing eyes as he stops passengers on the deck. Dan Tae rushes toward a young brown-haired woman and makes her turn around.

He keeps searching around for additional minutes before turning back. This is one of the last times she ever saw Joo Dan Tae.


 

Su-Ryeon watches the whole day passing in front of her eyes as if she was watching a movie. Something is clutching on her chest and her heart is heavy. Logan noticed she seemed out of it, but each time he asks her what’s wrong, she simply smiles and answers that everything is fine. During dinner, something releases a fork on a plate and all chatter stops suddenly.

A middle aged woman, hunched over her meal, is crying. All faces turn gloomy and Logan grips on his fork nervously. The rest of the dinner is spent quietly.

 

“I know that lady. We saw her when we boarded the Carpathia” starts Junki after they go back to their cabin. They are all seated on their respective beds. Logan’s arm is wrapped around Su-Ryeon’s shoulders. Logan crosses eyes with him, shaking his head slowly. But Su-Ryeon sees their secret gesture.

“What is it ?”

Yoon Hee’s chin trembles slightly and Logan forces a smile.

“It’s nothing, you don’t have to know”

“Why ? are you all…trying to act like nothing happened to protect me or something ?”

“Unni, it’s nothing like that '' says Yoon Hee, lifting her hand. Yoonchul is sipping his liquor silently, his gaze distant.

“I see…I got it now. We are back to the fragile flower who needs to be preserved, huh ?”

She shrugs off Logan’s hand from her shoulder and stands up.

“I was here too ! I have the right to know what happened during the time I was unconscious !”

Logan grabs her hand, heaving a sigh.

“We got it, so don’t be angry, we will tell you, so come sit down, okay ?”

Junki clears his throat and begins talking.

“There isn’t much to say. A doctor began to attend to passengers. While we were waiting for your turn on deck, people were still waiting for the last passengers to board the Carpathia. I never…I swear you could hear nothing at all, everyone was silent and everything was still.

Then came the last lifeboat, Lightoller’s was it ?”

Logan nods in agreement and Junki keeps on talking.

“That’s when all remaining hope to see their loved ones come back safe and sound died for all these people. If they weren’t on that lifeboat, they would have perished. That hard fact hitted them and us all at once. But nobody cried, they…we all kept staring in bewilderment. Nobody could believe it at first”

“Then they started to move again. They went to the officers, begging them, there had to be some kind of misunderstanding. There has to be another lifeboat or maybe they were rescued by another ship ?” continue Yoon Chul.

“I was mainly attending to you with Yoon Hee, so we didn’t see everything, but around 9am, another ship approached. We don’t really know what went on exactly, but it was decided that the Carpathia would head back to New York.” says Logan.

Su-Ryeon stays silent the whole time, listening to her friends and Logan recounting the events while sipping their liquor.

“I think they held a small service somewhere, I heard people talking about it,” adds Yoon Hee.

“The ship made a small circuit around the sinking area, some were brave enough to lean on the railing and they claim they saw bodies floating. But we wouldn’t be sure, there was a lot of ice and debris floating in the area…” says Yoon Chul.

“The woman you saw crying earlier, she…she saw her son in there. It was a young man, probably around our age. He was lying on his side, with his lifebelt on. It looked as if he was simply asleep…” add Logan. Su-Ryeon covers , tearing up.

“Goodness…this is…”

“And here, amongst the dazed silence, there was this heart-breaking shriek…this pure wail of agony. And soon others joined her. It was…terrible. Dang I never heard something like that before.” whispers Junki, his voice breaking. A heavy silence falls upon them. Logan chuckles nervously.

“See ? We told you everything now. Shortly after, you were brought inside and a doctor checked on you. In the meantime, some first class passengers moved out of their own suites to let women and children in their own quarters. Some community rooms were converted into dormitories. We insisted on staying all together so we landed into a third class cabin”

“Thank goodness the passengers are really supportive, leaving their own suites, giving clothes to survivors…The crew is very nice as well” concludes Yoon Hee.

“Give me a glass too, I want to drink with all of you” says Su-Ryeon.

“Unni, it is pretty strong, I almost breathed fire” Logan pours her a glass silently and hands it to her.

“Let her, she is more than capable of drinking it” Su-Ryeon takes a mouthful, the strong beverage burning her inside on its passage like liquid fire.

“What is this horror ?” she mumbles, her hand on to suppress a gag. Her friends laugh while Logan caresses her back. She shakes her head vigorously.

“Give me another one” Logan arches an eyebrow.

“Really ?” Su-Ryeon nods, her gaze determined.

Junki roars with laughter.

“She is something. Give me your glass”

They keep chatting, with more drinking and soon the alcohol settles in her with a nice buzzing feeling. She can temporarily put aside the tragedy in a corner of her mind.


 

April 17th, 1912

 

The Carpathia crew began to list passengers from the Titanic after lunch. A fine rain has started to pour, dampening their hair and they are about to head back inside when an officer approaches them.

“May I have your name, please ?” After Junki, Yoon Chul and Yoonhee, it’s their turn.

Logan's mind is racing with thoughts.

“How was that guy called again ? Sven something…was it Anderson or Gunson, Gunderson…” he fiddles with his jacket’s button, trying to come up with something.

“I know…I should take his name…”

“I am…Jaehwan Lee” the officer scribbles down his name with a smile and turns toward Su-Ryeon.

“I am Su-Ryeon Lee”

“Thank you very much” the officer takes his leave after saying goodbye to the group.

Yoon Chul shares a glance with Logan.

“You remembered…”

Jaehwan was one of their friends who died of tuberculosis one year ago.

Yoon Hee and Junki are gawking at them both.

“Now we need some explanation, what was that ?” Logan and Su-Ryeon grips each other’s hands. One doesn’t wish people to know he even boarded in the first place, while the other absolutely wants to avoid people knowing she survived the disaster.

“As for me, I never boarded the Titanic. I won a ticket with poker….” says Logan, scratching his head. Yoon Chul nods.

Su-Ryeon’s gaze grows distant and definite.

“Shim Su-Ryeon died that night of April 15th. I am a new person now”

“Doesn’t make any sense, but makes a lot of sense at the same time” says Junki.

Yoonhee covers .

“Unni…but still, that family name…” Su-Ryeon gasps, finally understanding what it implies.

“No…this is. This is not what you think at all”

“Of course, unni, of course” Su-Ryeon turns back and walks toward their deck’s entrance with quick steps.

“Unni, wait !”

Logan stares blankly at his two friends. He points his finger at them, heat rushing to his face.

“Shut up”

They both lift their hands.

“We didn’t even say anything dude”

They snicker once he turns his back to them.

“Look at him being all embarrassed just cause she used his name, he is cute after all”

“True, true. He is so red… He look like he stole chick make-up”

Logan clears his throat.

“I can hear you just fine, you are just like cackling old hags who have nothing better to do”

“Don’t pout like that, you are even cuter” says Junki.They wrap their arm around his shoulder nonchalantly. He shrugs them off.

“Let go of me, you are so annoying”

“Aren’t you happy…it’s almost like your first class goddess proposed, how lucky” says Yoon Chul, looking up with a smile. Logan gives in and grins.

“Oh…you think so ?” Junki elbows him.

“She definitely did…you two are lucky bastards…I am a third wheel here”


 

Few hours later

 

Su-Ryeon approaches the bow of the ship with slow steps. Fascinated, she observes the dark water bubbling and splashing below as the hull cuts through the waves. Why did she come here and why can’t she look away ? She leans in further, her chest almost hanging into the air when someone calls her from behind, making her jump.

“Su-Ryeon-ssi !”

The spell is broken and she spins around. Logan is breathing heavily, staring at her with round eyes. He rushes to her and grabs her by the shoulders.

“What are you doing here ?” he asks, searching for her eyes. She opens and closes without saying anything. His fingers tightens around her.

“Tell him…this is a misunderstanding. You weren’t trying to jump…he is scared…tell him, quick, idiot” she scolds herself. She put her hand on his chest.

“I am sorry to have worried you, I had…I had to think about some things”

“What’s wrong ? Are you still hurting somewhere ?”

“I am fine…I…”

She pushes him away gently. He looks hurt by the gesture but doesn’t release her shoulders. She lowers her gaze toward the ground. How is she supposed to pour what she has in her heart when he is peering in her soul like this ?

“No but I can, I asked to be able to talk to you again like this…what’s wrong with me ?” she thinks. She looks up again, taking a deep breath.

“You know what went through my mind yesterday, on that debris ?” Logan looks up, trying to come up with an answer.

“I thought I deserved it, totally. I mean I tried to jump, remember ?”

“How can you…” she stops him by raising her hand.

“No…you listen to me this time. This is the truth, I tried to escape. I didn’t cherish life enough. I was only indulging in self-pity…all these people who..are gone. I thought about it, did I deserve to be saved ?”

Su-Ryeon twists her fingers as she keeps talking.

“That was what went through my mind, but only for a short moment. As I was about to give in, it was all about you…is he okay ? is he warm ? and why didn’t I tell him how I felt when I had the time ?”

Logan takes a step toward her.

“Haaa…it was so simple. “I love you” and yet I didn’t tell you because I am a coward” she keeps on. Logan looks away, pursing his lips. She cups his cheek and his smile widens.

“I love you, here I said it. Simple. So no, I wasn’t trying to jump before you came here”

“This is crazy,” he answers, pulling her into his arms.

“You definitely told me you love me, I wasn’t dreaming, right ?” he adds, holding her close.

“I definitely said it” she laughs, tightening her arms around him.

Her body already feels lighter when they break away from each other and they reach for each other's lips. She touches his cheeks once they break away.

“You’re so cold, and your hair is dripping wet, what are you doing ?!”

“Are you scolding me ? Now ?” He chuckles, covering her hands with his.

“Let’s hurry inside”


 

April 18th, 1912 (day of the arrival to New York)

 

Su-Ryeon is back at the bow of the ship again with the group. A gentle breeze is tousling their hair gently. They are not alone, most passengers are standing next to them, all eyes in the direction of the Statue of Liberty, who keeps growing bigger as the ship gets nearer to the harbor. Soon, they will step on solid ground, finally after 8 long days and a tragedy that will stay engraved in their mind until their last breath on earth.

Her hand into her pocket, her fingers graze the cold stone.

She found out that the coat that Dan Tae gave her came with an additional present.

Yesterday, she considered discarding it but Logan joined her and she lost her chance. This piece of jewelry still makes her feel uneasy.

 

The brouhaha and chatters coming from the passengers snaps her out of her thoughts. Beside her, Logan takes her hand. The group share a smile and Su-Ryeon releases the Heart of the Ocean, taking her distance from its icy grasp.

A new chapter in their life is about to take place…she is finally free from her chains…


 

April 12th, 1997.

 

“And this is how our journey at sea ended after the infamous Titanic sinking” Voices of passengers fade in her mind, the warmth of Logan’s hand too and she opens her eyes, transported back to the present instantly. In front of her, her audience has tear-ridden faces.

“I didn’t know…that you, grandpa, auntie and my uncles met during that tragedy…how did you manage to hide it for 84 years ?” says her grand-daughter while shaking her head.

Despite her wrinkled marred face, Su-Ryeon's eyes are as keen as 85 years before. A gleam of mischief is dancing in her eyes when she replies to her grand-daughter.

 

“You know…we often say that a woman’s heart is as deep as an ocean…guess our men’s hearts were as inscrutable as the skies above” she says with a small laugh.

Su-Ryeon glances toward the mural clock.

It’s already 4pm. But she managed to tell her story. Thankfully because she can feel it deep in her heart, she is out of time.

 

“We never found any records of them boarding on the Titanic. The only ones were yours, Su-Ryeon” says the treasure hunter Brock Lovett.

“There wouldn’t be. Yoon Hee was employed illegally by my aunt. Logan and Yoon Chul boarded with tickets won at poker. Junki was an immigrant as well”

“It must have been terrible at first, I didn’t know you had such a past” Su-Ryeon’s smile turns slightly melancholic at her granddaughter's words.

 

“It was hard…At the very beginning we were all living crammed in that minuscule, decrepit apartment. The walls were thin as paper, covered with mold. God have mercy on you if there was a strong wind… we had to huddle together in front of a single stove. Thankfully we only lived there for 3 months” She pauses, her smile widening.

“But. I remember entire nights chatting while playing cards and games…laundry day with Yoon Hee and other women of the tenements, laughing while jumping in the ice cold basin of water. Cooking that awful food on the stove and eating together while recounting our equally horrible day at work. Our little dates with your grandfather…the rest you know already.”

 

“Did you ever encounter your family or your former fiance…Joo Dan Tae ? Do you know what happened to him ?” asks Brock

Su-Ryeon looks up before answering.

“I never saw my aunt again... About Joo Dan Tae…You know he built that huge apartment complex. A massive tower called Hera Palace. But the stock market crash from 1929 made him lose everything. Back then it made headlines…he was found dead in the hall’s fountain.”

“I managed to find records of newspapers from back then. It was ruled as suicide right ? But I found something interesting, some articles were talking about a possible murder, and his wife, Jin Bun Hong was it ? she was suspected for a while”

Su-Ryeon tilts her head with an enigmatic smile.

“Who knows what happened…but is that truly important ? Joo Dantae’s way of life, every small choice he made led him to that demise. Whether he ended his own life or his wife did, at the end of the day, he brought it upon himself”

The group nod, their stare both filled with a hint of contempt and pity for the man’s tragic fate.

“This is true” concludes Brock Lovett.

 

“Even that statue he was so fond of didn’t bother to catch him when he fell from the 100th floor” thinks Su-Ryeon before clapping into her hands, trying to chase off her ex-fiance from her mind.

“I think I told you enough for today, right ?”

 

April 14th, 1997, minutes before midnight.

 

Back in her cabin after dinner, Su-Ryeon brushes her hair in front of the mirror. Apart from a few dark brown streaks, her hair is almost fully white. She puts down her brush and playsabsent-mindly with her wedding ring, a gold ring with a stunning sunstone, which seems to glow in the dim-light. A beautiful orange glow, like the candle light that evening she posed for Logan on the Titanic. With this memory coming back, her eyes stop on the pictures she brought with her. A Logan surrounded by their friends in their prime seems to smile brightly at Su-Ryeon and her heart fills with tenderness, not without a tinge of sadness tightening her chest, each time she reminisces about her love who left first…

“I miss you…I miss you all. I only have something remaining to do and I will join you soon…wait for me” She stands up and wraps a woolen cardigan over her thin nightgown before stepping out.

 

On her way to the back of the ship, she can hear the sound of laughter with notes of music coming from the deck. The crew and her grand-daughter are having a party for the last night on the Keldysh.

She has almost reached her destination but the projection room makes her stop in her tracks. She has to go there, she has to see it one last time. She tries the door and thankfully it’s not locked.

 

The only light source coming from the screens casts a bluish light in the room .She stops in front of a screen displaying the wreck and contemplates it silently.

“Oh…” she lets out a gasp when a rusty gangway door appears in front of her eyes.

The dread she felt when she crossed one of these doors, 85 years before, she can still feel it fully. But now that she is looking at that desolate shipwreck plunged in darkness, destined to crumble years after years before it gets devoured whole by the ocean and its inhabitants she actually pity it.

.

“I, too, didn’t understand you after all”* she says out loud, her voice trembling as she recalls the horrible creak akin to a cry she heard just before the ship made her final plunge.

Her hand reaches for the screen, and the image looks so clear it’s almost as if she could touch what is behind the screen.

“Goodbye…”

 

The wooden floor on the deck creaks under her feet when she finally steps outside. She grabs the cold metal railing and she hauls herself to gaze at the ocean a few meters below her.

“I know what you would say if you saw me like this…don’t do this…it’s dangerous”

Her lips curl into a smile.

“I promise I won’t do anything too dangerous this time…” She reaches for her pocket and seizes the Heart of the Ocean. Again she is captivated by the gorgeous deep blue stone and it's cold-as-ice glints under the moonlight.

“Many times I was tempted…”

One day she stopped just at the doorstep of a pawn shop, but she managed to turn back and leave.

“But I made it. I didn’t use you to save us or to gain wealth…Some could say what I did was worse, but I don't think so. I made it without Dantae’s dirty money and it’s all that matters…” She raises her hand in the air.

“Now that I said goodbye to the Titanic, it’s time to bid farewell to you too…go back to where you belong” She opens her hand and the heavy necklace slips out of her hand and lands in the water with a small splash, vanishing in the darkness almost instantly.

She immediately feels lighter. She heads back to her cabin, her hand stopping on the doorknob leading to her bedroom. She glances in the direction of the party that is still ongoing with a bitter-sweet feeling.

“Goodnight my sweet grand-daughter…”

 

The members of the crew start to head back to their room, some staggering, holding onto equally dizzy companions while humming songs cheerfully. Tomorrow they will finally get back to terra firma, they will join their families and friends, so everyone bid goodnight with joy.

While Brock Lovett and Su-Ryeon’s grand-daughter Nara takes a last glass of wine, sharing their hopes and disillusion for Brock, and tidbits of her life and childhood for Nara, Su-Ryeon slips under her warm covers in her cabin. She closes her eyes and Logan’s voice echoes into her mind, making her smile as she slips out of consciousness.

“...As an old lady, surrounded by kids you watched grow…”

 

April 15th 1997, a few hours into the night.

 

Su-Ryeon, whose beauty is akin to a goddess, is standing in front of the clock where her husband, Logan Lee, invited her to a party, 85 years ago. Her glossy brown ringlets dance on her back as she turns around when a voice that she hasn't got to hear in a long time calls her.

“Mr Andrews ! and Mr. Murdoch” She says cheerfully, her face brightening up. The two men stop at the end of the glossy wooden staircase.

“Miss Su-Ryeon, long time no see…” answers the two men with a smile. She climbs down the stairs separating her from the two, her white dress flowing around her legs.

“Are you ready for the party ? Everyone is waiting”

“A party ? everyone ?”

Intrigued, Su-Ryeon follows them.

Su-Ryeon notes that there is almost no one present on their way as they progress on the promenade deck outside.

“Why isn’t there anyone ? Where is that “party” isn't that supposed to be held here ?”

Mr. Andrews turns his head toward her with a chuckle.

“In the first class ? No one is having a party in the First Class now”

“That dream is very strange”

Mr. Murdoch shares a glance with Mr. Andrews and both smile mysteriously.

“A dream ? Let’s leave it at that for now” adds Mr. Andrews.

Su-Ryeon doesn’t question his cryptic answer and keeps on following them, but memories come flashing back in her mind as they climb down a series of stairs.

 

Her, coming back to her cabin after releasing the Heart of the Ocean and going to bed.

The feeling of exhilaration and lightness as she flies outside her cabin, then that irresistible wish to go into the water, as if she was “called” from the depth of the Ocean. Then a dazzling, encompassing light surrounded her. A light so pure and comforting she felt totally at peace. When she opened her eyes again she was standing in front of the gangway, on the footbridge of the Titanic, in her former glory. And she somehow found her way to the staircase, persuaded that she would find him there.

“Then does that mean…I am…”

“I am dead” she concludes in her head. It should make her feel something. Her long life has ended. But she lived this life fully, surrounded by people she cared for deeply and doing things she wanted to do. She has no regrets. She is truly at peace.

“We will meet again, my dear children, right ? you will understand me, right ?”

 

The two men stop in front of a double door and Su-Ryeon snaps out of her reverie just in time before she crashes into them.

They turn toward her, their hands on the door.

“Miss Su-Ryeon…Madam Lee, this is way better than a mere dream, you will see”

Mr. Andrews and Mr. Murdoch gestures to her to enter with a wave of their hand.

 

Notes of Irish music welcome Su-Ryeon when she steps into the packed room and she cracks into a smile.

“Of course, real parties are there”

As she makes her way through people dancing together, her body is almost itching to join them. She recognizes many that she thought she would not see ever again.

Mr. Jo nods politely at her before turning back to his dance with a lady. Suryeon notices pearl embroidered dresses and fancy hairdos, three piece suits and slick pulled back hair amongst more simple outfits in the crowd. As she glances toward the tables in the corner, she gasps.

Mr Lowe is playing cards with Colonel Gracie and another man. Su-Ryeon chuckles when she recognizes him.

That man tried to flirt with her when she came for the party in the third class. At the other end of the table, the heavy laughter of Kang Mari almost covers the music while she is telling jokes to passengers, with Mr. Astor seated next to her. Mugs of beer are clinking and a heavy puff of smoke coming from their cigars rises in the air.

“No way…all classes are here ?”

“Miss Su-Ryeon, you said it yourself. “Real parties are there”” answers Mr Andrews.

 

The music reaches a standstill and so does Su-Ryeon when she spots an ashy haired man that she would recognize amongst millions. Leaning on a wooden balustrade above the crowd, laughing heartily with his friends.

"Logan, Yoonhee, Yoonchul and Junki…you were all here, together…Were you waiting for me ?”

Su-Ryeon doesn't move immediately, a flow of emotions washing over her.

“Logan, my love, my friends…” An hand pushes her lightly on the back.

“What are you waiting for Miss Su-Ryeon, go to them, go to him”

Su-Ryeon nods to Mr. Andrews and Mr. Murdoch who smiles encouragingly.

As she approaches the stairs separating her from the group, Logan and their friends finally turn toward her and they cross eyes. He extends his hand, their friends smiling brightly as she closes the distance between them.

“Welcome back…My butterfly”

 

THE END


 

Author’s notes :

  • For the ones who didn't see it, Jaehwan is Eunseok's character name in the show

  • “I, too, didn’t understand you after all”* In the movie, while Brock is talking to Rose’s grand-daughter, he says he didn’t understand the Titanic, it was a small reference :)

  • Logan and Su-Ryeon had 4 children <3 Who.were they ? It's too obvious of course. For the record, Nara is Seol Ah's daughter <3

  • In the Titanic movie, for the ones who saw it, there are people who think it's a "dream" and she see him every night (and the lyrics looks like it could be the case) and other (I am in that group) thought she died and joined him in Heaven, so I kept that version, which for me is better. Spending eternity with your loved ones rather than 85 years looks like a pretty good deal to me :)

  • By these 2 hints, can you deduce whom Junki married ?

  1. Brock : “Did you ever encounter your family or your former fiance ?” Su-Ryeon : “I never saw my aunt again…”

  2. Brock : “...and his wife, Joo Bun Hong was it ?”

If you guessed who it is, why do you think she is missing from the pictures Su-Ryeon brought with her or from the ship at the end ?

I considered adding a small Dantae scene, but it didn’t really fit with the mood of the ending scene.