Chapter 6 : First class flower and shivery lips

Logryeon : the unsinkable ship a Penthouse AU

The sinking will be perceived through Logryeon’s eyes, As such moments from the movie or from the real story will be absent.

We are around midnight and the order to uncover the boats and get ready passengers and crew on deck has just been given…

 

Logan is brought to a room on the E floor. He doesn’t oppose any resistance as he is being handcuffed to a pole. He cannot forget Su-Ryeon’s last glance and his mind is racing with thoughts.“Am I getting ahead of myself ? it was as if she was telling me : I trust you…so trust me too”

A sailor barges in the room, calling for the officer.

“Sir…there is a big mob at the Second’s class pursuer office”

Mr. Jo, who is standing quietly in the corner of the room, takes a step forward.

- “Please go…I will watch him in your stead”

- “Alright…”

The man gives the key to Mr. Jo and gets out in a hurry. Mr. Joo gets seated, his gaze impassive as it lands on his captive. Logan turns his head toward the porthole.

“Cannot expect any help from here I guess” he wonders.

 

Back to Su-Ryeon, she is following Dantae quietly as they head toward the grand staircase on the A deck.

They meet with her aunt once they reach the area.

- “My aunt…where is Oh Yoonhee ?”

- “Oh…our maid ? I asked her to go turn back on the heaters and get some tea ready when we return of course…where do you expect her to be exactly ?” her aunt answers, her tone indifferent.

- “But…”

Dantae grabs her hand, interrupting her middle sentence.

“We should go now, who cares, she will find her way if something happen”

 

Su-Ryeon’s group step outside and she can hear music in the distance. The band was probably asked to play outside in an attempt to pacify the passengers.

Su-Ryeon, Dan Tae and Ok-Gyo place themselves in line in front of a boat. Shortly after, a distress flare illuminates the sky briefly with all eyes lifted to follow the gleam of light She spots the ship-builder Thomas Andrews when she lowers her gaze and she notices his odd behavior instantly.

His expression absent, he is walking on the deck and doesn’t acknowledge her when he passes in front of her. He almost jumps when she grabs his arm to stop him.

“Mr Andrews, I saw the iceberg, and I see it in your eyes, please tell me the truth”

Mr. Andrews hesitates before answering. He pulls her slightly apart, talking in a low voice.

- “The ship will sink…” Su-Ryeon takes time to register what she just heard.

-“You’re certain ?” she asks cautiously.

-“In an hour or so...everything here will be at the bottom of the ocean…Please tell only who you must. I don’t want to cause a panic…And get to a boat quickly, don’t wait, you remember what I told you about the boats, right ?”

-“Yes, I understand”

Mr. Andrews smiles sadly at her and turns back. Su-Ryeon goes back to her group in a daze.

“What should I do ? what if…they don’t free him in time ?” she thinks, her mind in turmoil.

 


Mr Jo stands up and starts approaching Logan.

“You know… I believe that this ship can indeed sink…”

“I have been asked to give you this small token of appreciation” he continues, stopping in front of him. He punches Logan violently in the stomach, cutting his breath short.

“Compliments of Joo Dantae”

Hunched over to regain his breath and trying to ignore the radiating pain in his stomach, Logan doesn’t notice that Mr. Jo throws him a last glance before exiting the room.

 

Meanwhile, Yoonchul, Junki and some third class passengers gather in front of the metal gates, hoping that the sailors will open it soon so that they can reach the upper decks.

The tension is rising as the men plead to let at least the women and the children cross.

But at the time, the crew members didn’t receive their orders to lead the third class upstairs yet.

 

Yoonhee is still in Su-Ryeon’s suite and is getting anxious to not see her employer coming back. She keeps hearing doors opening and closing indicating that the suites are getting emptied. But she was asked to stay here and doesn’t dare to move.

 


Back to Su-Ryeon, Ok-Gyo aunt utters the words that will definitely push Su-Ryeon to her last limit.

“Will the lifeboats be seated according to class ? I hope they’re not too crowded” she says, turning toward her niece and Dantae with a carefree laugh. Su-Ryeon grabs her without warning, stunning her.

“Oh…my aunt, shut up ! You don’t understand anything, don’t you ? the water is freezing and there aren’t enough boats…Not enough by half” She says, throwing a side-way glance toward Dantae who was just joined by Mr. Jo. The two men exchange some words and Mr. Jo gives something to Dantae discreetly. She focuses on her aunt again.

“Half the people on this ship are going to die.” she concludes, releasing her aunt briskly.

For once, her aunt is too stunned to retort. Dantae let out a light laugh, which sounded especially cruel given the circumstances.

“Not the better half…obviously” Su-Ryeon turns toward him slowly.

Behind the three, Kang Mari grabs her aunt’s hand and urges her to climb into the boat. Still shocked, her aunt follows quietly.

“You know…it’s a pity I didn’t keep that stupid drawing…it will be worth a lot more by morning” Dantae adds, breaking into a cruel smile.

The flash of another flare lights up Su-Ryeon’s features as it contort with disdain and restrained anger. “You unimaginable bastard…” she says, her tone icy.

Dantae simply shrugs after her words and turns his head away toward the lifeboat. Her aunt keeps calling her but Su-Ryeon’s attention is fixated on Dan Tae.

“Come on dear…there is plenty of room for you…Su-Ryeon…you're the next sweetie, come here” says Kang Mari, holding out her hand. Su-Ryeon shakes her head, bitter.

“Farewell…my aunt. Good luck Madam Kang” replies Su-Ryeon turning her back to them.

 

“I am coming…please wait for me Logan….” she thinks, walking away. Her aunt calls her name desperately but she doesn’t listen anymore.

Dantae catches up to her near the first class entrance and makes her spin around abruptly.

“Where are you going ? To him ? “

Su-Ryeon struggles to free herself but he holds her firmly.

“So what…to be the of a gutter rat ?”

Su-Ryeon looks at him defiantly.

“I would rather be his than your wife if you ask me”

"No…I said no !” he yells, breaking into anger.

Logan’s words come to her mind as Dantae keeps shaking her.

“Aren’t you very different from yesterday ? you’re very strong”

Mustering all her strength Su-Ryeon landed a low kick on Dantae’s ankle, destabilizing him.

“Don’t mess with me dumb or I will kick your arse” she says, her tone curt.

Surprised, Dantae loosens his grip on her and she can shove away his hands. She turns around and walks away, leaving a dumbfounded Dan Tae behind her.

 

Logan throws a glance toward the porthole. The water has raised drastically and the deck he is locked in is already underwater. He tries to call for help repeatedly but to no avail.

 


 

Meanwhile, Su-Ryeon opens her aunt’s suite’s door on the go, scanning her surroundings.

“Oh Yoonhee ! Yoonhee-ah ! where are you ?”

She finally finds her friend standing straight in the sitting room.

“Yoonhee…why are you still standing there, come, we need to leave immediately” she says, taking hold of her friend’s hand. But Yoonhee doesn’t move.

-"Miss…Su-Ryeon-unni. I can’t move, your aunt asked me to wait here and get tea ready when you come back”

-“What are you talking about ? The ship is sinking !”

-“What ? It's impossible, this ship cannot sink…and I am unable to leave my position until I am ordered to do so”

Su-Ryeon sighs heavily and grabs her by the shoulders, her expression grave.

“I quite assure you it can. I saw the iceberg myself ! And more importantly, my aunt already left in a lifeboat just minutes ago, so you come with me, right now”

She releases her friend to go over her aunt’s closet to retrieve a lifejacket that she put on her friend once she comes back.

“Since my aunt departed already, you are now officially under my care, as such, you have to follow me, right ?”

Yoon Hee's gaze softens “Su-Ryeon-unni…”

Su-Ryeon smiles at her and takes her hand “Let’s go”

 

Once they are out of the suite, Su-Ryeon wanders in the corridors, trying to find Mr. Andrews. And finally she spots him in the course of another passageway. Thomas Andrews is opening suite doors one by one to check if passengers have already left and is directing people to head for the boat deck as soon as possible.

“Mr. Andrews !” The ship-builder stops in his tracks and waits for the two young women to reach him.

“Mr. Andrews, where would the master of arms take someone under arrest ?”

As soon as she asks her question she is met by two pairs of confused eyes.

-“What ? you have to get on a boat right away” Mr Andrews starts, grabbing her by the shoulders.

-“No ! I am definitely doing it with or without your help, sir. But without will take longer”

Witnessing her stubbornness, Mr Andrews gives in, sighing heavily.

 


 

Su-Ryeon thank profusely Mr Andrew after hearing the directions and grab Yoonhee’s hand again to head toward the elevators. Her friend tries to grabs her attention multiple times on the way but Su-Ryeon keeps walking briskly.

“Unni. Unni ! What is going on ? Who is locked ? don’t tell me…Logan is ? Why ? Unni !”

When they finally reach the elevator Su-Ryeon turns toward her friend.

- “Yes. He is. And like an idiot I just stood here and did nothing. So I am going to free him myself. You know the way to the deck right ? you go there and hop in a lifeboat as soon as possible, understood ?”

Yoonhee shakes her head, worried.

-“But Su-Ryeon-unni…if the ship is really sinking, isn’t that dangerous ?”

-“So what ? now please hurry, I will be fine”

She begins to push her friend while throwing a side-way glance toward the elevator.

-“Su-Ryeon-unni…maybe someone already released him…”

-“Then it’s even better. It means I will go back up faster”

Su-Ryeon is about to turn around when Yoon Hee catches her hand, holding on it tightly.

“Wait Su-Ryeon-unni”

She reaches for her collar and removes a chain from her neck before passing it over her friend’s head. Su-Ryeon looks at the pendant, puzzled.

-“A whistle ?”

-“It belongs to my mother. I hope it can keep you safe. I…you better come back with Logan quickly…and…if you can, Yoon Chul…”

Su-Ryeon hugs her friend, patting her back

“I am going on the E deck. Once Logan is freed, we will ask around. But I am sure he is already being evacuated right now, don’t worry”

Su-Ryeon is aware that she is maybe lying to her friend right now, but she has to ensure Yoon Hee leaves as soon as possible.

She rushes toward the elevator when people exit it. But the operator stops her as she tries to enter the cabin.

“I am sorry miss, but the lifts are now closed” and right here, Su-Ryeon loses her cool. She grabs the man by the collar, pushing him inside under his and bystander’s bewildered eyes. Yoonhee let out a gasp when the man crashes against the wall.

“I’m through being polite, damnit ! Now take me down !” Su-Ryeon yells, her gaze resolute. She slides the gate closed abruptly.

“To E deck. Please”

Yoonhee comes in front of the gates, grabbing the bars before the elevator departs "Su-Ryeon-unni. Please be careful…” Su-Ryeon smiles at her reassuringly until her friend disappears from her view.


 

As soon as the water reaches its destination, water fills the cabin rapidly, startling its occupants. The cold water seeps in Su-Ryeon’s shoes, like two icy hands grabbing her by the ankles. Next to her the operator is distressed and is about to start the lift again.

“No ! No !” she protests, stopping him.

Su-Ryeon opens the gate with the operator screaming behind her.

“Miss ! Come back ! I am going back up, I am going back up !”

However, Su-Ryeon has no intention of turning back. Lifting her feet to walk in the water, she tries to recall the directions Mr. Andrews just gave her. She stays focused in the long maze of corridors, getting floating obstacles out of the way as she is progressing toward her destination. But as she reaches a fork on her way, she is unsure where to go. She calls Logan out of desperation and at first, no one answers and she keeps wandering aimlessly, but finally he can be heard calling her name back in the distance. Su-Ryeon turns around, trying to pin-point where his voice is coming from. She can also hear a rattling sound two doors from her, she heads toward it.

 

Logan keeps calling for her, hitting his handcuffs on the pole he is tied to when the door opens and Su-Ryeon appears.So many expressions and emotions go through her eyes as she is walking toward him. “Logan. I am so sorry, I am sorry”

She encircles his neck to kiss him, only pausing in between to look at him as to engrave his features in her mind.

-“Dantae’s minion put it in my pocket”

-“I know. I know…I think I saw Mr. Jo giving the key to Dan Tae earlier, what are we going to do ?” she adds after they break away.

Logan points behind her. “Look in that cabinet over there”

 

“I think it’s a little silver key” says Logan behind her as she is rummaging through the cabinet.

Frustrated, Su-Ryeon snaps shut the cabinet after exploring it.“They are all brass ones”

She goes over to a desk next and opens drawers one by one.

-“You know…I was really scared you didn’t believe me at first, but just before I was dragged away…how did you find out I didn’t do it ?”

Su-Ryeon let one of the drawers drop in the water and face him.

-“I didn’t…I just realized I already knew. But just buying in their mascarade for a second….You have no idea how much I am angry at myself right now…”

-“It’s alright. You believed me and came here, that's all that matters”

She is tense and the water is chilling her to the bone but that single smile he gives her is enough to empower her at least a little. She goes over to another cabinet, but her search returns nothing. “No key. There is no key !”

Logan takes a deep breath.

“Ok. Listen to me. Try to find some help. There is probably someone from the crew who can do something” Logan is trying to be reassuring, but Suryeon can see he is tense. She kisses him quickly.

- “Wait for me, I will come back soon”

-“Got it. I will wait here” he replies with amusement.

 

Once outside, the water level rose dramatically and is now up to her waist.

When she reaches the floor above, the area is already empty and her calls for help remain unanswered, making her grow anxious. She finally spots a crew member after meandering around.

-“Thank goodness sir, I need help. There is a man trapped downstairs and…”

-“You shouldn’t be here miss, follow me”

As if he didn’t hear her, the crewmember takes her hand and pulls her behind him.

“Please listen to me. There is someone who…”

Su-Ryeon tugs on his hand but the man ignores it and keeps walking.

-“No need to panic”

-“You don’t understand, I am not panicking, but you are going the wrong way !” she replies, her voice rising.

The man’s hold on her wrist tightens as Su-Ryeon keeps protesting.

“Let go ! Let go of me ! Listen !”

But the crewmember still won’t stop. Lost about what to do, Su-Ryeon kicks him violently in the knee and breaks free. Wincing the man shoots her a dark glance.

“To hell with you”

Su-Ryeon leans on the wall once the crewmember left her to her premises. She can hear grating sounds in the distance and she reckons it’s the ship coming under strain due to the water weighing it down. The ground suddenly feels too unsteady under her feet and she momentarily yields into fear.

“No one will come to help us…what am I going to do now ?” She shakes her head vehemently.

“No, I can’t give up. Move Shim Su-Ryeon” she says out loud, forcing herself to start walking again. And that’s when she sees it : a fire axe.

She picks it up after smashing the protective case.

“I will free you myself if need be” she claims out loud, going back on her steps.


When she reaches the staircase leading to E deck, it’s already flooded. The area is almost plunged in total darkness apart from the occasional sparks from the dying lamps. Filled with apprehensiveness, she takes a small step toward the water sloshing just below her feet.

-“But he is in here…so I will go” she thinks, removing her coat. Gripping the axe with her trembling hands, she enters in the water, her breath momentarily cut-short by the gelid seawater. She keeps progressing, shaking off the growing numbness in her body.

 

Logan is shocked when he sees her coming back, her white dress sticking to her body and her loose curls wet. But the most shocking is the axe she is brandishing over her head, her gaze determined.

-“Will this work ?”

-“Guess we will need to find out, try some swings over there”

Su-Ryeon stops in front of the cabinet, her gaze focused, trying to control her shaking hands. She land her first blow and lift her arms again, bracing herself. The second hit is squarely farther to the first.

-“I won’t be able to do this…” she thinks, distressed.

-“Alright, it will be enough for practice, come on Su-Ryeon-ssi”

But Su-Ryeon doesn’t move.

“No, I need to try again,” she answers, straightening her posture.

After a few more tries, she is already slightly better, but the water level keeps going up and they can’t dawdle any longer. She stops in front of Logan who maintains her gaze. “I trust you, you can do this”

Su-Ryeon lifts her axe. The shackles smash into pieces after a single hit. There is a little moment of stillness between the two before both rejoice, falling into each other’s arms.

“I am so glad you came back for me. I thought I would never see you again.”

His lips are cold when he kisses her and he is shivering.

“No…you’re supposed to be always warm…” she thinks, embracing him tightly.

“Let’s go” he says against her hair.

 


 

Once they are outside, the passageway Su-Ryeon came from is already impraticable.

-“This is the way out” points out Su-Ryeon, disappointed.

-“We need to find another way, come on” he answers, taking her hand and going toward the other way.

 

They had to cross a succession of stairs, corridors and doors, but most were locked. As they reach the end of a corridor, they can hear muffled voices from the other side, indicating that a lot of people are behind the door. Logan tries the knob a few times but it’s locked.

-“What are you going to do ?” asks Su-Ryeon as he takes a few steps backward.

-“I am going to break it down,” he answers spontaneously.

-“Wait…I am going to help”

Su-Ryeon places herself next to him, making him grin.

-“Of course you would, you are not a first class flower after all”

-“Stop mocking me” she pouts.

Both take a run before hitting the door who finally break open after 3 tries. They stumble their way into the corridor under the bemused eyes of a crew member who starts to yell after them.

-“What do you think you’re doing ? You'll have to pay for that, you know ? That’s Hera Line’s property”

-“Shut the up !” they lash out at him in perfect unison.


The steerage deck is bustling with people from all corners of the world and generations.

Logan and Su-Ryeon cross paths with mothers holding their young children close, young men, and couples of all ages on their way. Su-Ryeon’s attention is drawn to two female passengers' conversations and she stops Logan in his tracks.

-“The gates have been opened earlier, but I don’t want to go. Isn't it dangerous to hop on these wobbly crafts and be tossed about on the water like a cockle shell in the middle of the night ?”

-“And it’s too cold outside”

Su-Ryeon approaches the two women.

-“Excuse me. I heard your conversation, you said the gates to the upper decks are open, could you tell me which way ?”

-“Of course my dear, you just go all the way to that corridor and turn right. Please wear this at least, it’s quite chilly outside. But I am afraid your husband won’t be able to cross it right now. It’s women and children first”

-“Thank you” answers Su-Ryeon warmly as the woman wraps a woolen oversized coat around her.

 


When they are near the gates, Logan recognizes two familiar faces and rushes toward them.

"Yoon Chul ! Junki !” The three men hug each other quickly.

Yoonchul throws a glance behind Logan after the three men break away.

-“Su-Ryeon-ssi…she isn’t with you ?”

-“I told her to go to the boat deck. Don’t worry, she is probably safe”

Yoonchul sighs in relief.

-“Thank goodness ”

-“Okay you guys, time out for a second” says Junki, clapping in his hands to grab the group's attention.

“No hope for that gate, look at all the men gathered in front. Just before you two came, a fight broke in because they tried to force their way. We need to try another one”


As The four find their way through the crowd of people with difficulty, Su-Ryeon grip Logan’s hand tightly. As they keep progressing, the overall atmosphere changes too : while in the other corridors people were quite calm and unwilling to rush to the upper decks, here it’s mainly men who are gathered, with people pushing and talking loudly in a climate of tension. And given the situation she witnessed herself on the decks below, the ship is already way underwater and the lifeboats won’t wait for these people, so their feelings are totally valid.

They stop a few meters away from another metal gate where another commotion is rising.

A small group of men are trying to detach a bench from the floor, probably to smash open the gates. On the other side, a steward is attempting to dissuade them but to no avail.

-“Please stop, keep your calm. Once the women and children are loaded, it will be your turn !”

-“The ship is bloody sinking and we are expected to wait here patiently until all the boats have left ?”

 

“Well the lads aren’t wrong. We can’t wait, it will be too late. Let’s go help you guys” says Junki.

The three men go to help while Su-Ryeon gestures to clueless passengers to clear the way.

“Please move, they are going to break open the gates, please move out of the way”

The men charge at the gates shouting more to motivate themselves than due to their efforts.

Once the gates are bent the passengers rush in the opening. Logan takes hold of Su-Ryeon’s hand, urging her to pass and Yoon Chul follows after. On his way, Junki punches unconscious the steward that was still protesting.

 


 

Author’s notes :

After doing some research, the claim that third class passengers were locked in the steerage was slightly inaccurate. The misunderstanding comes from the fact that the order to make women and children go to the boat deck was given around 12.30am (the first lifeboat was lowered at 12.40am) beside there were really gates, but only for sanitary regulations at the time.

But the men were indeed prevented from going up at first.

‘The stewards prevented these men from getting up when the order was passed around for the women and children.’

Many women didn’t wish to leave the ship or their husbands behind.

‘Yes, I heard two or three say they preferred to remain on the ship than be tossed about on the water like a cockle shell.

‘Steward Hart also recalls that many women in Third Class were unwilling to go to the lifeboats. Some went to the boat deck but found it too cold, some felt it was safer to stay on the ship than to get into a small rowing boat in the middle of the Atlantic on a dark night, and some did not want to leave their husbands’

Sources :

https://timmaltin.com/2019/04/23/third-class-passengers-titanic/

Besides, even though the order was women and children first, if the boats were under capacity some officers allowed men in

https://timmaltin.com/2019/04/22/titanic-lifeboat-capacity/