One

The Queen of Hades
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

At first glance, this Friday seemed as ordinary as any other day, but for Jieun, it would change everything. Her mundane life was about to get its head—the dice had been cast and the wheel of fate set into motion.

The person she had been hiding from for most of her life was about to make his first move, and Jieun was blissfully unaware of the encounter awaiting her. She didn’t see the pair of onyx eyes watching her, and neither did she feel his presence. He blended in with the crowd of students inside the university building, inconspicuous like a mere shadow as he waited for the perfect moment to reveal himself.

The loud chime of a bell announced the end of Jieun’s last class of the week. She shoved her netbook in her backpack, slinging it over her shoulder. It had been tiring to follow the professor’s long-winded explanations for hours. She was exhausted and all she wanted was to take a nap, preferably under a tree in the forest.

Jieun was the current reincarnation of Persephone, the Goddess of Spring. Thus, she was drawn to nature like a butterfly to a flower, feeling at ease when surrounded by her element. She had turned twenty-one recently, but despite her age, her mother Dahyun, the Goddess Demeter, seldom let her out of her sight.

Dahyun was cautious for a reason. Each reincarnation of Persephone was born with a curse, doomed to live in the Underworld with its ruler, the reincarnation of Hades. She was anxious about her future, refusing to spend the rest of her life in the realm of the dead with a heartless king. Therefore, she followed her mother’s advice, leading an ordinary life and blending in with people. She would do anything to assure Hades would never find her.

The young Goddess tucked a lock of her brown hair behind her ear and exited the lecture hall in a hurry, walking past many human students who had no clue about her true identity. Sadly, luck was not on her side. Instead of sneaking out undetected, her beloved fiancé, Youngjae, caught up with her. The demigod was infatuated with her, even going so far as to join her in her environmental science lectures although he chose a different major.

Dahyun had arranged the marriage about two months ago. It was a desperate attempt to prevent Hades from taking Jieun away.  She refused to lose her only daughter to a God as vile as him. Therefore, she had chosen a demigod to become Jieun’s husband in his stead. Youngjae was the reincarnation of Theseus, a son of Poseidon, and in Dahyun’s eyes, he was the perfect match for Jieun.

Jieun herself didn’t know which option was worse; marrying a man she didn’t love or being confined to the Underworld forever. No matter which road fate would lead her down, she would be miserable at its end. It seemed like she was destined to be trapped like a bird in a cage. All she wanted was to spread her wings and fly—but freedom was unattainable to Persephone.

“Jieun, wait!” Youngjae called and caught up to her, adjusting to her fast steps.

Inwardly, she rolled her eyes but she showed none of her annoyance. Her fiancé played a key role in avoiding Hades, so she hesitated to voice her reluctance for the upcoming wedding. However, Youngjae’s domineering attitude often upset her.

“Yes?” she said and threw him a questioning glance.

“Will you go on a date with me this evening? I booked us a table at a restaurant,” he smiled.

She could hardly decline when he already made a reservation for them. Her heart sank in her chest. Deep down, she wanted to make up an excuse and do something else, but her mother wouldn’t be happy if she refused. So she didn’t.

“That’s… uh… great,” she smiled awkwardly. Youngjae noticed none of her reluctance. He never did.

“I will pick you up at seven,” he decided, and she found herself nodding, barely having processed his words.

For the remainder of the afternoon, she stayed in the library, finishing an essay that was due for one of her classes. She just about made it home in time to get ready, having waited until the very last moment. Her mother was ecstatic when she heard about the date, but Jieun struggled to mirror her enthusiasm. Nonetheless, she didn’t speak her mind. Dahyun wanted the best for her, and who was she to complain? Surely, Youngjae was the better choice compared to what awaited her with Hades’ reincarnation.

 With this in mind, she forced herself to put on light makeup and made herself look presentable, donning an elegant knee-length dress in her favorite shade of green. It complimented her emerald eyes and brown hair. Knowing Youngjae, he would take her to one of the more expensive establishments in town. She didn’t want to embarrass herself by dressing too casually.

 

 

As ex

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter