CHAPTER 4

The Kwons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Before Jisoo could even express her shock at the statement, or even ask any further questions, two hands were placed gently on her shoulders, causing her to flinch.

"Seunghoon, why don't you take Jennie to her room." Jisoo heard her father's calm and collected voice immediately, it managing to sooth her like honey.

Seunghoon, who was already stood besides the aforementioned girl in concern, carefully dragged away a crying Jennie from the scene, putting an arm around her to try and comfort his upset friend.

When the two were completely gone, Jiyong sighed heavily before sitting down beside Jisoo.

The girl couldn't help but feel annoyed at his presence, every time she gets close to interesting information he keeps taking it away from her, like taking away candy from a baby. And Kwon Jisoo is not a baby.

But before she could pour out her frustrations at him, Jiyong gave her the look for a few moments before speaking.

"Look, I know you're curious, but, you can't go around asking sensitive questions like that. I get that you don't remember who Bobby is, but you're friends do. His death hit them very hard, and it's still a sensitive topic for them. If you want to know something, just ask me and I'll tell you everything I know. Deal?" He turned towards her, not mad like Jisoo expected him to be, and was instead wearing a neutral expression.

Jisoo glared at him for a few seconds, not really trusting that he'd tell her everything.

"Fine... so did you catch the killer?" Jisoo asked instead, being unable to hold the question back.

"No. I hired my best investigators on this case, they were working on your disappearance as well as the murder but there was zero progress in both cases. You disappeared without a trace, and Bobby's murderer left little evidence behind. All we got were the bullets, which belonged to me, so all we know is that whoever killed Bobby used one of my guns. But this is a mafia house for crying out loud, getting access to guns is extremely easy and no one would bat an eyelash seeing someone here carrying a gun. Either one of the mafia members killed him, or someone snuck in and stole one of my guns and killed him, which is very unlikely as security here is hard to bypass. So other than that, we have no leads. I'm tempted to close the case, but I can't do that to Chaerin, she's Bobby's mom, and mine and Dara's best friend. I just don't know what to do." Jiyong sighed heavily, putting his head between his hands in distress.

Jisoo sat in silence with her arms crossed, not really knowing what to say. She doubts anything she would have to say would be helpful anyway.

Jiyong suddenly straightened up again and turns towards Jisoo with a small artificial smile.

"How are you feeling then?" He asks.

"What do you mean?" The girl furrowed her eyebrows, feeling confused at the sudden question and change of topic.

"Are you feeling overwhelmed yet?" He elaborated, looking at his daughter in concern.

Jisoo however just shrugged, making Jiyong sigh heavily once more.

"Back then, you never told me anything too, I don't know why I thought you might open up now. It's not like you've changed, you're still Jisoo." He rambled.

Jisoo stayed quiet again, not really in the mood to share anything.

"Has Jennie told you about your fiancée yet? When I spoke to her she was really excited to tell you about him." He suddenly asked, genuinely shocking Jisoo to the point she couldn't hide it like she usually does.

"My what!?" She gasped, her eyes as wide as Chanyeol's when he played the 'screaming in silence' game.

"She didn't tell you yet?" Jiyong questioned, looking completely baffled.

"No, you showed up before I could find out!" She glared at him.

Jiyong scoffed.

"Sure, just blame it on your old man." He remarked sarcastically.

"I don't believe you, as if I had a fiancée." Jisoo sneered at him in disbelief.

"It's true, I even have photos of your engagement party." Jiyong whined in annoyance.

"I can't even imagine myself in a normal relationship, do you expect me to believe I voluntarily wanted to be tied down to one man for the rest of my life?" Jisoo ridiculed him, convinced that he was lying to her.

"Think whatever you want, but everyone will tell you the same thing I did. You were engaged to someone before you disappeared, he was really worried about you. That night, he took a massive hit, losing his brother and fiancé in one night." Jiyong shook his head at her in dismissal, the last sentence making Jisoo widen her eyes in shock.

"I was engaged to Bobby's brother!?" She exclaimed.

"That you believe?" Jiyong burst out laughing.

"Bobby has a brother?" She decided to ignore his statement, causing Jiyong to roll his eyes.

"Yeah, you'll get to meet him once he's back, him and your brother, as well as a few others, are out somewhere at the moment. They'll either be back tonight or tomorrow morning, depending on how quickly they'll get the job done." He explained.

"What job?" Jisoo asked nonchalantly.

"And why would you want to know that?" Jiyong raised his eyebrows.

Jiyong never liked the idea of Jisoo being involved with what the mafia do, his whole life he had took it upon himself to make sure she knew as little as possible when it came to the inner workings of the mafia. That being said, the father took a lot of action to make sure she knows nothing of what goes on behind the scenes, to control what she hears and sees, and to dictate what the mafia members can and cannot speak about. Sure, he thinks that he is being a bit selfish, and kind of unreasonable, however, he thinks that it's all for a good cause. After all, being clueless of the world around you and how it works will do Jisoo a lot of good, will it not?

Of course it will, since Jiyong is certain that Jisoo will never leave these four walls he caged her in.

Although ironically she did manage to do just that the night she disappeared.

Jiyong mentally winced at his monologue with the narrator, once he had realised that it made him sound like such a dictator, when in fact he is just a bit too overprotective. At least, that's what he tries to convince himself of.

"Geez, I'm just curious." The girl rolled her eyes.

The adult beside her chuckled in fondness before putting his arm around her shoulders, Jisoo glared a bit at the contact but didn't do anything.

"Even though I already have to put up with your brother's moody , I'm glad to have you and your teenage hormones back Sooya. It hasn't been the same without you, ya know?" Jiyong turned to her with a mischievous grin.

Before Jisoo can come up with a funny remark, Dara came up behind the two, placing her hands on both her husband's and her daughter's shoulders.

"What are you two doing out here? Come inside! We made your favourite food Sooya, let's go before the food gets cold!" She nagged in her motherly voice, causing both Jiyong and Jisoo to laugh heartily.

***

That evening Jisoo had deemed that she needs a break from reality and so retreated back into her room, where she put on her dark blue silk pyjamas and got comfortable on her bed. This is definitely a big upgrade from her bed where her and Nayeon lived, a person she has yet to tell of everything that has happened today. Jisoo can't help but feel guilt thinking about how Nayeon must be worried sick wondering where she is right now, and so she grabbed a hold of the photo album on her bedside table to distract herself from all the racing thoughts inside her head. In moments like these, Jisoo desperately wishes there was a way to flick an off switch on her brain.

Jisoo was looking through the photo album she had seen earlier, it was quite thick and worn down, meaning it must've been pretty old, containing printed pictures inside. Some were old, some were new, some were embarrassing, some were a little inappropriate (to the point that Jisoo secretly hopes that she is the only person who knows about this photo album) and some were meaningfully sweet.

The photo album started off with photos from Jisoo's childhood, some of her favourite's being one where she was with Jennie, Bobby and Seunghoon, where they were all having breakfast together around a coffee table, perfectly accommodating to their miniature size. One where Jisoo and Jennie had put on their mother's high heels, trying their best to strut their stuff as their mothers

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter