teaser ii. KenOpSia

K-OS (케이오스) — an idol's coming of age. apply open!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

KenOpSia
teaser ii

April 2021

Droplets of water rained like bullets, creating a soothing sound along with the gentle pitter-patter of Haedam’s footsteps splashing in the rain. The sky was bleak and grey as the buildings around him were, but no matter how much Haedam tried to recall where he is exactly, his memories refused to cooperate. Is he in Seoul, or is he back in his hometown? How long has he been running again? Only whoever is up there will know.

Heaves of pants emitted from the boy, hands resting on his knees as he catches his breath. It feels like he’s stuck in a loop—no matter how much he ran trying to find a familiar place or shelter, no one was around for him to ask. It’s as if he was stuck alone in this empty town, and nobody knows how he got here.

Haedam cautiously approached one of the shops and peeked inside the glass windows, not sure what he’s even trying to find, but it’s as empty as he expected. Displays of bread and sweets stocked full as if they’re just opening this morning, but no trace of humanity. The scent of petrichor and damp air is too overpowering that he couldn’t smell the freshly baked bread that’s supposed to come from bakeries, the smell of floral perfume from a nearby department store; it’s as if everything got drowned in the shallow puddles created by the heavy rain.

He’d never have thought that he would have to experience this feeling himself—what was it called again, kenopsia? Yeah, it’s what his English teacher just taught the other day. The eerie feeling of seeing a place that you’re used to seeing with lots of people, now being empty and abandoned. Haedam thought scenarios like these only happen in apocalypse movies, is the day finally happening now? He honestly wouldn’t be surprised if zombies started spewing out of the stores at any given time.

Chills started running down his spine in combination of fear and coldness, the rain ruthlessly bombarding the earth as the cold wind leads it into the town. Haedam’s acute ears caught the sound of an engine rushing towards his spot, followed by a spotlight to his direction—

“Hey!” Haedam tried to shout as loud as the deafening storm would allow him. “Help me! Right here!” The car’s stoplights were blinding, but a sign of life gave Haedam hope for whatever-this-is to end. He waved his arms to get the car’s attention, but the stoplight grew brighter and brighter, speeding towards him—

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter