Chapter Two

Umber Eyes

 

"So," Donghae questioned Hyukjae the next morning, stirring his oatmeal around in a ceramic bowl. "Do you need any help getting all your stuff up here?"

Hyukjae proudly shook his head with a small smile.

"No, I can move it up by myself. It's not much, anyway. Just my clothes, and there's already a bed up here." 

Donghae accepted his answer quietly. Having a new roommate was something that he knew he'd have to get used to. Being a psychology undergraduate, Donghae wondered just how much he could learn about the ever mysterious Hyukjae just by observing him.

"I'm meeting my boyfriend in the library to study this morning, by the way. I'm sure you can get everything moved in by noon." Donghae swallowed the last bite of his breakfast, placed his bowl into the sink, and headed for the door. 

Suddenly a large, cold hand gripped Donghae's wrist and pulled him back until his face was just inches away from Hyukjae. He felt him breathing lightly against his own skin, and a powerful shiver erupted from the shorter man, putting a smirk on Hyukjae's lips. Donghae's dark eyes were wide, fear written on his face. 

"Choi Siwon, right?"  His roommate pondered, his tone soft yet domineering. "Is that his name?"

Donghae swallowed hard.

"Why do you like him?" Hyukjae's voice was dangerously low, his eyes almost seeming to grow darker in color, and his solid grip on Donghae's wrist didn't recede. 

Donghae was confused, searching for an answer in the farthest reaches of his mind, but the intensity of Hyukjae's nature frightened Donghae into forgetting everything. 

"I-I...he's..." 

The younger man's mind was spinning, words unable to reach him in his fearful state. Hyukjae looked expectant for a proper answer, tilting his head to the side. Finally able to get oxygen to his lungs in order to stand up for himself, Donghae cleared his throat in sudden defiance.

"He loves me. Why do I need to give you an explanation?" Donghae raised his voice as much as he could, and Hyukjae smiled once again. He released his grip from Donghae's wrist gently, softening his glare. 

"Well," Hyukjae towered over Donghae for a short moment, and opened the door for him, waiting for Donghae to walk out of it. "Enjoy yourself."

The shorter man grabbed his backpack and left, confused out of his mind by his new roommate. 

 

"I have something to tell you..." Donghae wrung his hands together anxiously, which caused Siwon to shift in his chair so he could face his boyfriend.

"I knew something was bothering you...why didn't you tell me yesterday?" 

"It's just...God, I'm so confused." Donghae ran a frustrated hand through his tawny hair, and Siwon pulled him into a hug, rubbing his back. 

Being honest with Siwon was definitely the right call, but something deep within Donghae felt as though he wanted to keep Hyukjae a secret. He felt so weirdly entranced by his roommate, mesmerized, even. 24 hours hadn't even gone by, and yet, Donghae couldn't deny a strange attraction for Hyukjae he felt growing. 

But with the way Siwon's sweet, concerned eyes pleaded for an answer from him then, Donghae realized where his priorities should be.

"For some reason, last night a guy came into my room and claimed he was my new roommate." Donghae admitted. 

Siwon tensed up, and inhaled angrily. 

"Who is he? Did he do anything to you?" He asked desperately, proving himself to be the extremely obsessive protector that Donghae came to know and love him as.

"No, no... Don't overreact. It's nothing like that!" Donghae quickly decided that he should refrain from explaining Hyukjae's overly flirtatious actions and comments in order to save his boyfriend from an unneeded heart attack. Siwon's dark brows furrowed even further.

"Then how did he get into your dorm? I don't trust him." 

Donghae scoffed at his protective boyfriend, laying a gentle hand over Siwon's broad shoulder, carressing down his bicep comfortingly.

"He's actually in one of my psychology classes. I know him, he's...fine." 

"Fine?" Siwon crossed his arms, frowning. 

"That's not what I mean! You know that I would never let him come between us. He's just a roommate." Donghae consoled, attempting to calm Siwon's jealousy with his kind voice. 

"I suppose. He better keep his distance, or else I'll have something to say about it." Siwon ended up smiling, a dimple forming on his cheek. Donghae shook his head, blushing. 

"Whatever you say, tough guy." 

While laughing, Siwon's face suddenly shifted.

"Hey, did you happen to watch the news yesterday? Apparently, another one of those disappearances happened." Siwon changed the subject to something much more serious, and his thick eyebrows curved into interest. 

"No? What happened?" 

"Another girl disappeared on Thursday night, and the police say that it seems like the suspect has been doing this for a while. They haven't been able to find any of the bodies." Siwon finished gravely. 

"That's strange..." Donghae murmured, intrigued. 

"Apparently this person's been completely confusing the authorities. I honestly hope they find them soon." Siwon's voice trailed off as he began turning the pages of his Business 101 textbook. 

Donghae continued to get lost in his thoughts silently, and then placed a hand on the base of Siwon's spine, running it up and down his back softly. Siwon raised an eyebrow at his boyfriend's surprising touch, but of course, he invited it anyway.

"I love you." Donghae kissed Siwon's cheek quickly and pulled away, batting his eyelashes dramatically as Siwon chuckled.

"I love you too. Don't get us thrown out of here, now." 

 

Later that night, Donghae scrolled on his phone, checking social media and reading emails on his bed. He suddenly reached for his charger on his bedside table, only to realize it wasn't there. Donghae sat up, picking up everything by his bed, searching for his charger. He wondered if Hyukjae had one he could borrow for a bit.

After a few minutes, Donghae realized he had to resort to desperate measures. 

Hyukjae was in the bathroom, but what he was up to, Donghae had no idea. He could've been getting ready to shower, for all Donghae knew.

But he needed that charger.

Donghae sighed, gaining the courage to get up from bed, and step over to the bathroom door. The blonde didn't think about consequences, and yanked open the door, revealing an undressing and indecent Hyukjae. 

Hyukjae's back was turned to him, gradually becoming more exposed as his shirt was swiftly slipped off of his pale body. Donghae gasped loud enough for Hyukjae to notice, and he spun around, letting Donghae get a glimpse of his toned abdomen and sculpted chest. Donghae was at a loss for words because of him again, finding it hard to even think coherently. 

"Did you need something? Or... did you just find what you were looking for?" Hyukjae confidently toyed with Donghae, running a hand over his own stark white skin, revealing many veins on his forearms. 

Donghae observed Hyukjae's body, noticing how different it was from Siwon's. The color, the softness yet existing firmness sent Donghae's head spinning. 

His waist was skinny, and Hyukjae laughed to himself a bit as he watched Donghae's pupils bounce between his body and looking him in the eyes. Donghae swallowed, shutting his eyes for a moment before speaking.

"I...lost my phone charger...could I borrow yours?" Donghae stuttered, fighting to get words out as his face was water-colored a fresh pink and red mixture. 

Hyukjae smiled in his seductive way, and reached toward an outlet on the bathroom wall to pull a cord from it. He handed it to Donghae, chuckling. 

"It's actually yours. I hope you don't mind." 

"No...I-I suppose not." 

Hyukjae suddenly reached for his belt, undoing it and pulling it out of the belt loops all while holding a stare at Donghae. His eyes were dangerous and dark.

"You can watch if you want." Hyukjae softly purred, his hand playing with the button of his pants. 

Donghae's face got even redder. 

"No, I'm sorry, I should've asked later, I'm sorry!" Donghae awkwardly apologized, shutting the door abruptly and falling onto his bed, covering his face with his hands. Donghae swore he could hear quiet laughter coming from the bathroom, and he cursed. 

Why does he make me feel this way? 

 

Hyukjae tapped his pencil impatiently on his desk, thinking heavily about "Why on God's green earth did letters have to appear in math?" while stealing a glance at his roommate every now and then. Meanwhile, Donghae was kindly making dinner for the two of them, and Hyukjae couldn't help but think that he looked absolutely adorable in his blue checkered pajama pants, stirring some ramen on the stove. He allowed himself to become lost in his imagination while admiring how Donghae slightly swayed from side to side while stirring the noodles.

Hyukjae exhaled leisurely, shifting his eyes back to his unfinished math problem. 

Donghae walked over to a cabinet, and when he stood on the tips of his toes to reach some spices in the back, the straining movement caused his shirt to ride up and reveal two, deep dimples on the bottom of Donghae's spine. Once he noticed them, Hyukjae his lips hungrily, his body becoming possessed by a venomous being as he stalked over to Donghae and settled himself right behind him. He felt the shorter man tense up.

Hyukjae set a strong hand on Donghae's waist before he reached his free hand upward, grabbing the spices Donghae was searching for, and setting them near the stove. Donghae shivered in terror and uncertainty as Hyukjae leaned closer to Donghae's ear and neck, whispering a faint "you're welcome." 

As quickly as he appeared, he seemed to vanish once Donghae regained his natural senses and turned around to see Hyukjae at his desk again, avidly working and chewing away at a pencil. Were his teeth always that sharp? 

How...?  Donghae pondered, shaking the spice bottles into the ramen. 

Just then, his phone buzzed, signaling a text from Siwon.

Donghae excitedly opened the message and read: "Hey baby! I really want to see you tonight. How can we make that work? Dinner at my place?" 

Donghae smiled brightly at the pleasant thought of spending time with his boyfriend, and he replied: "I would love to see you too! Thing is, I'm already making ramen for Hyukjae and I. Maybe you could just come over?" 

After a long pause, Donghae received another text. 

"Are you sure he won't mind?" 

"Positive. He's busy with his homework right now, he won't notice us if we want to watch a movie or something."  Donghae typed back, looking up briefly to see Hyukjae standing right in front of him, piercing him in place with his gaze.

"So, is he coming over?" 

"Why the are you reading my texts? These are private!" Donghae incredulously retorted, clearly gaining more confidence in holding his ground. 

Hyukjae scoffed with a slight roll of his eyes and a crossing of his forearms.

"I don't mind if your boyfriend comes over. I'll occupy myself just fine." Hyukjae sighed, staring into Donghae's eyes with a hint of menace. 

Another buzz from Donghae's phone cut the stare-down short as Donghae glanced at his phone again, seeing a message that read: "Alright, I'll bring some chocolate," with a winky face. He immediately felt his face get warm. 

The taller man suddenly leaned forward to read the text, breathing hotly on the side of Donghae's neck, while the latter stood paralyzed.

"Oh wow. Guy's pretty serious. I didn't know you liked chocolate." Hyukjae whispered, wanting nothing more than to brush Donghae's golden hair off of his neck and bite through the flesh, but he controlled himself and walked away. Donghae shook his head and continued to cook the ramen, while Hyukjae sunk into his bed, sighing loudly. 

Hyukjae couldn't deny it any longer.

His vampiric needs were becoming too real, his bloodlust growing stronger each day. Hyukjae felt pain in his mouth as his incisors threatened to grow into sharper points every time he looked at Donghae. The vampire's victim was stretching in the kitchen, his shirt seeming to be too short for him because it kept getting pushed up as his arms flexed, his belly button just barely coming into view. Hyukjae closed his eyes, trying to quarantine all thoughts of Donghae's thick blood and honey skin from his mind. 

A brisk knock at the door made Hyukjae jump, and Donghae ran to it in 2.5 milliseconds, opening it and happily kissing his boyfriend while pulling him inside. Hyukjae inched out of bed and toward the door, his plump lips in envy. Donghae playfully pushed Siwon away, and gestured for Hyukjae to come closer. 

"Hyukjae, this is my boyfriend, Siwon." Donghae awkwardly introduced the two, and Siwon released his hand from Donghae's to extend it to Hyukjae politely. Hyukjae took it, shaking it firmly and raising an eyebrow. 

"I've heard lots about you." 

Siwon looked at Donghae, surprised, and the blonde chuckled. 

"I hope only the good things." Siwon said, letting his hand fall to his side. 

Donghae cleared his throat after a long minute of Siwon and Hyukjae not seeming to look away from each other, and he offered ramen to Siwon. 

"Oh no, I already ate. I did bring some dark chocolate for dessert, though." Siwon showed off his large collection of different flavored chocolate, and Hyukjae saw how big Donghae's eyes got. 

"Yeah, don't mind me, I'm just gonna sit at my desk and finish my homework for tomorrow. You won't even notice that I'm there." Hyukjae dejectedly returned to his chair, telling Siwon it was a pleasure finally meeting him, and bidding Donghae goodnight. 

Siwon raised his right eyebrow at Donghae, pulling him by the wrist to sit on the couch next to him. 

Hyukjae heard whispering, and the fact that he didn't know whether it was romantic poetry or suggestions of movies to watch bothered him. He also heard giggling, and he breathed heavily to try to calm his jealous fury. 

The television finally after what seemed like an eternity of silence and soft noises, and Donghae had popped some romantic comedy into the DVD player, allowing himself to sidle next to Siwon again, the taller man placing an arm around him. Hyukjae felt like gagging, and he suddenly became light-headed once he caught a glimpse of Siwon brushing his face into Donghae's neck, the latter laughing softly and claiming that it tickled. 

All that Hyukjae could think was "get away, he's mine", and he wondered why he was so invested in Donghae's relationship anyway. He literally was some stranger. 

But he couldn't keep his mind off of how good Donghae smelled, how he might taste...

Hyukjae was amazed by how quickly things escalated. The main characters in the movie hadn't even met each other yet, and Siwon was engulfing his boyfriend's mouth, practically laying Donghae down on the couch to get on top of him. 

Hyukjae shot up from his chair, clutching his pencil in his fist in anger. 

"I've gotta go." Hyukjae growled, stomping out the door while pulling his jacket on with jerking movements. He slammed the door, the sound making Donghae finally aware of the situation, and he pushed Siwon off of him. 

"What's wrong?" He asked, his ego a bit hurt by the interruption. 

"I just...can we watch the movie, please?" Donghae readjusted his position on the couch, sitting upright and fixing his wrinkled clothes. 

"Sure, whatever you want." Siwon sat back, away from Donghae to give him the space he wanted. 

"You know, I've always liked these pajamas on you." Siwon complimented, resting a hand on Donghae's thigh, knowing he couldn't stay away from him for very long.

"Thanks for buying them for me, then." Donghae smiled at his boyfriend and innocently laid his head on Siwon's shoulder, watching the movie with his mind swimming somewhere else. 

Is he really jealous?  Donghae thought, remembering how Hyukjae tensed up when he shook Siwon's hand. Donghae shook his head gently, nuzzling further into Siwon's shoulder as he broke apart a chocolate bar. 

 

Once Hyukjae returned, he was quite surprised that Siwon had left. Donghae was curled up in his bed, snoring gently. Hyukjae took off his jacket, and walked toward the couch. He picked up the many chocolate bar wrappers and salvaged what little bits of the candy he could, along with throwing a piece or two in his own mouth. He sighed, letting the sweetness melt on his tongue. He threw the empty wrappers in the trash, and he also washed the dishes, careful not to clatter anything for Donghae's sake. 

Hyukjae dried his hands as he was finished, not being able to take his eyes off of Donghae's sleeping body. One of his legs was hanging out from the warmth of the blanket, and Hyukjae laughed silently at him. He silently made his way to Donghae's bedside, noticing his chest moving up and down steadily. 

The jealousy Hyukjae felt confused him. 

Despite his confusion, though, Hyukjae felt like Donghae was his. At the very least, he wanted him to be. Every golden hair on his head, every inch of his soft skin, and especially the blood that gushed through his veins to give him life. 

He wanted to taste his blood. See if it had the same semisweet decadence of the dark chocolate melting on his tongue. These possessive thoughts ran rampant in Hyukjae's head, and he selfishly didn't want anyone else interfering. 

Hyukjae was the wolf, hunting and stalking his prey, a small, innocent white rabbit named Donghae. 

Hyukjae loved this little game of cat and mouse, but he continued to have real feelings of tender affection for Donghae. Hyukjae refrained from touching him, afraid he might wake up.

Maybe one day.

Hyukjae's lack of the essential need to sleep was helpful in this moment, and he sat, watching Donghae fall further into his dream state with every breath.