Chapter One

Umber Eyes

The frigid air in the classroom made the hairs on the back of Donghae's neck stand straight up. He lightly poked his red pen onto the sheet of notebook paper in front of him to signal the end of a sentence. 

"Now class, why is this such an extreme problem ethically?" The professor lifted his eyebrows in expectancy, a few students raising their hands in a mixed feeling of certainty and anxiousness. 

Donghae breathed out, letting the other students take a stab at the question. After all, he'd answered almost every question the professor had asked today anyway. Donghae wrote his own well thought out answer onto his piece of paper, clicking his pen once he'd finished. He glanced around the room at his fellow classmates, all of them either paying attention to the discussion like their lives depended on it, or trying to keep their eyes open by shifting in their seats. Donghae's heart began beating significantly harder as soon as he looked past a girl with long black hair to see someone staring at him. 

It was unmistakable. 

He was gazing with his dark eyes directly at Donghae, his vision unwavering, even when the professor told the class to get out another textbook. Donghae tore his own eyes away from his stalker to reach inside his bag, fetching his heavy psychology textbook, turning obediently to page 224. This guy wasn't taking his eyes off of him, and Donghae realized that the hairs on his neck weren't standing up due to the air conditioner on full blast. 

From the quick, hopefully not obvious glances Donghae took at this guy, he seemed to be turning his head to the side in full concentration and interest, but it wasn't because of the lecture the professor was giving. Donghae swallowed nervously, taking a drink of water to moisten his dry throat, and Donghae swore he saw this guy bite his lip. 

Does he know I'm in a relationship? Donghae wondered, praying that he would eventually mind his own business. 

The professor ended his lecture, reminding the students exiting the room about the homework assignments for next class. Donghae gathered his things, placing them carefully into his backpack and slinging it onto his shoulder while tucking his longer, golden strands of hair behind his ear. He swiftly left the classroom, feeling his stalker's stare pierce into his back. 

"Siwon!" Donghae smiled, and ran into the taller man's arms. Siwon chuckled, hugging Donghae's smaller form into his own. 

"Can we get out of here?" Donghae whispered, his eyes pleading and darting around the hallway for a sign of the guy with dark hair and scary eyes. 

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" Siwon was worried, he held both of Donghae's hands as his eyebrows twisted into a concerned shape. 

"There's just..." Once Donghae happened to look past Siwon's body, that guy was there, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed across his chest, continuing to stare him down.

"What?" Siwon asked again as he guided Donghae's face with his hand to look at his own. 

"N-nothing...just a confusing class, that's all. I just want a change of scenery." He lied, shifting his eyes once again in this guy's direction, but he had disappeared. 

"Come on, I'll take you out tonight. That'll make you feel less stressed, right?" Siwon offered, leading his boyfriend out of the crowded hallway by the hand. 

"Of course." Donghae flashed a smile, forgetting all about his stalker. 

 

As he collapsed on his bed in his dorm room, Donghae sighed. Good thoughts about his date with Siwon and his boyfriend in general were suddenly corrupted by threatening thoughts about that mysterious guy and his intentions. Donghae knew very little about him; he's sworn that he's met him before, but his existence in class had been practically ghostly all semester. Not to mention this guy's skin was as close to white as a human could possibly be. 

Donghae was grateful for the absence of a roommate in his dorm as he slipped his shirt off of his body, tossing it into a dirty clothes pile by his bathroom door. He stepped onto the tiled floor, getting a glimpse of himself in the mirror. He played with his blonde hair, waving it around until the strands stood upright by themselves, and he chuckled. He turned his face to the side, gasping quietly once he saw a patch of red and rosy pink on his neck. He blushed, embarrassed, though there was no one there to see it. 

"Siwon's gotta be more careful..." Donghae breathed, admiring the mark Siwon had made on him as he the shower, waiting until the water was hot and fogging up the mirror. 

After undressing, he stepped inside, clenching his teeth at the scorching heat his bare body. He ran his wet hands through his hair, the color turning into a darker brown instead of bright gold. His mind wandered, and he tried his best to rid himself of thoughts of that stranger's almost alluring stare and infatuating face. Donghae felt guilty for thinking about him, and allowing him so much space in his brain, but somehow he couldn't stop himself. 

He's just strange. Donghae concluded, rubbing soap on his arms in occupancy. 

 

Siwon took it upon himself to personally walk Donghae to his first class the next morning, and Donghae was thankful. He wasn't sure where this stalker guy was going to show up next, now that Donghae had actually noticed him. However, Donghae kept his mouth shut about the topic in front of Siwon, he knew how protective he could get. 

As they passed many students on their way to the advanced math classroom, Donghae felt someone forcefully bump into his shoulder. He turned, his body tensing up once he met eyes with those swirling black ones. 

That guy smiled at him, conveying an "I'm sorry, but not really" look on his face followed by an perfectly executed wink. Donghae's mouth went dry and he grabbed Siwon's hand tighter helplessly, forcing their pace faster in order to get away from him. 

"Are you alright Hae?" Siwon put a large hand on the small of his boyfriend's back, pulling him closer. 

"I'm fine, some jerk just bumped into me." 

"Well, he should be more careful. Come on, I don't want you to be late for class." Siwon placed a light kiss on the top of Donghae's head, and they carried on down the hallway, Donghae only looking back twice. 

 

Exhausted from studying, Donghae fell into his dorm, shutting the door and throwing his backpack on the floor before collapsing on his bed. His eyes fluttered closed, and he honestly did not care if he slept right then and there in his current state. 

"Hey." 

Donghae's eyes shot open, his pupils focusing on his ceiling as he wondered if he actually heard something, or if it was his sleep deprived mind playing tricks on him. 

"Yeah, you heard me just fine. I know you did." 

Donghae his side to find his mystery-shrouded stalker sitting on his couch with his legs spread apart and a cocky looking expression painting his face. Donghae couldn't speak, he was afraid of the things this guy might do to him, so he blinked three times in a row in order to communicate. 

"Don't worry, I'm not a creep. I heard you needed a roommate, and I hated my other one, so here I am. Consider your prayers answered." He flicked his obsidian colored hair out of his eyes, parting his soft looking lips to smile. Donghae sat up in his bed, his fingers nervously toying with his clothing. 

"I didn't ask for a roommate." He managed to speak. Donghae knew very well if he did request for a roommate, he'd want Siwon, not this complete stranger. 

"Well, I did. I'm sure I won't cause you any trouble." He replied, stretching himself out on Donghae's couch. 

"Um...I'm Donghae." The blonde offered, getting up from his bed and extending a hand to his new roommate. 

"Hyukjae." He took Donghae's hand and squeezed it with considerable strength, and Donghae realized how much bigger Hyukjae's hands were compared to his own. 

"I'm sorry the place is such a mess, I- um...don't have people around here that much." Donghae apologized, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand. 

"It's not that much of a problem when you're so cute." Hyukjae flirted, stepping a bit closer to a cowering Donghae. 

"Sorry, thank you, but I have a boyfriend..." Donghae tried to retreat backwards, but he ended up falling onto his bed. Hyukjae stood, snickering. 

"Adorable." 

"H-he's the quarterback for our school's football team..." Donghae sat up, puffing out his chest like he had to prove something. 

"So that makes you his cheerleader girlfriend?" Hyukjae stated, looming over Donghae with a wicked glint in his eyes. 

"N-no! That's stupid. You're already on thin ice with me." Donghae, annoyed, pushed Hyukjae away and led him to a bare space in the dorm. 

"This can be your area, I'll move some things in the morning so you can actually walk around." Donghae joked, trying to make the atmosphere more friendly than uncomfortable.

"I appreciate it. Although, I have a ton of homework to finish, so I think I'll get to doing that before I sleep." Hyukjae snatched his backpack from the floor. 

"Y-you can use my desk...if you want. You know, just so you can have something to write on..." Donghae stammered, eyeing his neat and organized desk by his bed. 

"I'll take you up on that." Hyukjae smirked and sat down, the wheels on Donghae's chair squeaking softly. 

"I'm gonna...get ready for bed now..." Donghae cursed himself for being so awkward, but he'd never truly had a roommate before, and he was unsure of what needed to be announced and what could be omitted. 

Hyukjae spun around in his chair, giving a handsome smile and an exaggerated wave goodbye. Donghae mentally scolded himself, and brushed his teeth vigorously, taking a peek out of his cracked open bathroom door to watch Hyukjae and his actions. He was disappointed to see him actually getting work done, because that was not what he had expected at all. He wiped his mouth, and walked back out into the moonlit dorm room. 

Donghae took a deep breath, supplying enough courage to remove his clothes in front of this guy. He turned his back to him and began to pull his shirt off of his body until he heard a soft whistle. Donghae turned, startled. 

"Sorry, you're so distracting..." Hyukjae bit the end of his pencil while gazing at Donghae's skin as if he were a predator observing its prey. 

The uncomfortable feeling was back, and whatever courage Donghae had mustered up had run away as the blonde clutched his t-shirt in his hands, wringing it. He blushed furiously, finally throwing his shirt into a corner and climbing into bed. 

"Aw, done so soon?" Hyukjae teased, shrugging. . 

Donghae ignored his comment and shifted his body to look out his window. He his lips, admiring the silver pigments of the full moon. 

He's just flirtatious, that's all. Donghae reminded himself, closing his eyes and breathing in time to the noises of Hyukjae's pencil running across the paper.