Chapter Four

Umber Eyes

Hyukjae opened the refrigerator, the bright light glowing on his translucent skin as he grabbed a bottle of beer off the shelf and shut the door. 

"Could you get--" 

Every light in the dorm shut suddenly off, leaving the room in absolute darkness. 

"--get me one too...?" Donghae concluded, sighing loudly. 

"I will, and you should be happy that it's still cold." Hyukjae's voice carried deeply in the blackness, sending chills down Donghae's spine. 

"Of course the power goes out when I still have math homework to finish." The blonde scoffed and ran a hand through his hair, turning on his phone to see a text from Siwon. Donghae didn't get a chance to adequately read the message he had received because Hyukjae had somehow moved across the black room without any sounds and yanked his phone out of his hands, placing a cold beer in Donghae's grasp in return. 

"H-hey..." The shorter man got up from his chair in an attempt to retrieve his belongings, but Hyukjae couldn't be seen at all with the lack of light. 

"Relax, Hae. I'm using it to find a candle we can light or something." 

Donghae, appalled by the pet name, set his drink down and grabbed blindly in the dark to accidentally touch what Donghae realized was Hyukjae's built chest. He jerked his arms down to his sides in surprise, unsure if he should apologize, but he could almost feel Hyukjae smirking in the darkness.

"Oh, moving quickly, aren't we?" Hyukjae whispered playfully, ending up handing Donghae his phone in slight defeat. He wished he could've toyed with him more.

Donghae sighed, acting slightly more annoyed than he was. He his phone, finally reading Siwon's message as it stated how much he loved him, and how he couldn't wait to call him after football practice. Instinctually, Donghae smiled wide and eagerly typed back, telling him to be careful with the apparent power outage on campus. 

Hyukjae's lanky form loomed over Donghae once again, taking his phone by surprise and making Donghae gasp. 

"Stop scaring me." 

"Not my fault that you're so jumpy. Where do you keep the matches?" The vampire inquired. 

"I'm not going to tell you until you give me my phone back." Donghae challenged, turning to where he thought Hyukjae's voice was coming from in the dark.

"Feisty." Hyukjae caved and handed the phone back to its owner, and Donghae spun around to enter the kitchen. He had his arms extended, feeling around for the cabinets and drawers.  Donghae's back was exposed just long enough for Hyukjae to creep up behind him, breathe down his neck and grasp his hand firmly onto Donghae's waist. Donghae let out a small yelp, freezing in place as Hyukjae gave a firm squeeze. 

"Which drawer are the matches in? I'd be happy to help." He spoke in a soothing tone, his breath hot on Donghae's neck. Donghae swallowed, his throat like sandpaper. 

"That doesn't feel like helping."

He wasn't entirely sure why, but Hyukjae's touch felt far different from Siwon's, and for some reason unknown to Donghae, the blonde liked it. He liked the attention he was being given. Hyukjae's hands were consistently hot and igniting, though his skin always seemed freezing to the touch. Hyukjae released his hand, patting Donghae lightly on the , and his roommate didn't even need the aid of light to know he was smiling seductively. The shorter man was thankful for the blackout, because then his roommate couldn't see the furious blush that formed on his face.

Donghae didn't say anything, but instead grabbed the box of matches from the drawer, and made his way to the living room to light a small candle. The mild fire illuminated select parts of the room, but it was better than complete darkness. Donghae sat on the couch, ignoring Hyukjae as best as he could, puzzled by his feelings toward him. 

Should I just ask for a new roommate? Why is he making me feel this way? How is he even capable of making me feel this way? 

Thoughts bombarded Donghae's mind, but somehow all of them ended in an incomprehensible desire to keep Hyukjae as a roommate. The feeling of not being safe around him was almost addictive, and Donghae realized that. It wasn't a good addiction, though. It was painful and fever-inducing. But no matter how hard the vampire's victim tried, he couldn't bring himself to get rid of thoughts of him and the temptations Hyukjae made him feel. Being around him felt like indulging in forbidden fruit, and the consequences alone were enough for Donghae to continue to be interested in tasting it.

He felt wrong for wanting Hyukjae to touch him and give him his undivided attention, but Donghae needed it. He wasn't getting much quality time from Siwon other than two sentence love letters in the form of a text, or the occasional shirtless selfie with the caption "I miss you". 

The tiny candle flickered, its vibrant oranges turning Hyukjae's face in the dark into something inhuman. 

Maybe Donghae was doing this for survival. 

 

"Can we watch a movie together today? I know you were planning on going to the gym, but I haven't seen this movie yet, and--" 

"Of course. What movie?" Hyukjae interrupted, spinning around in his desk chair. 

"Twilight.

Hyukjae stopped spinning in order to face his roommate and visibly scrunched up his nose, disgust painted all across his face. 

"Really?" 

"Yeah. I've never seen it before. I thought it looked interesting." Donghae settled down onto the couch, wearing his own clothes and not his boyfriend's for once, which to Hyukjae's despair, properly fit him around his nice torso. 

"Don't tell me you actually went out and bought a copy of that stupid waste of film." Hyukjae got up, his words reaching irritability. 

Donghae peered over the couch at his roommate with large puppy eyes as he held up the movie, the pale actors on the DVD case in close proximity to each other and it made Hyukjae cringe. 

"Alright. If you really want to." 

"What do you have against it, hm?" Donghae playfully asked. 

Hyukjae let out an exasperated sigh as he sat next to Donghae on the couch, making sure to place himself where Siwon normally sat. 

"It's far from a realistic love story. And the vampires in this movie are all glittery and prissy. It doesn't work that way." Hyukjae crossed his arms. 

"How would you know that, exactly?" Donghae pondered, almost teasingly.

Hyukjae scoffed. 

"If you'd believe it, I once took a course about paranormal creatures in high school. We spent an entire month learning about vampires and their origins. I know a thing or two." Hyukjae lied smoothly, shrugging. 

"I want to watch it." 

"I said okay." 

"Then don't sulk the entire time." Donghae retorted, finding himself subconsciously inching closer to the vampire in an attempt to challenge him.

"Wow, you're enforcing the rules around here? Hot." Hyukjae smirked, taking the DVD case from Donghae's hands and getting up to place it into the DVD player. Donghae got himself prepared, grabbing a blanket and draping it over his lower half. 

"You don't want any popcorn or something? I'll make some." 

Donghae shook his head and patted the surface of the couch, invitingly.

"No, I'm alright. Come have a seat." 

Once Donghae hit play, the lights were switched off, and Hyukjae propped his feet up on the coffee table. Some time after the beginning of the movie, Donghae had made a mental note of exactly how many times Hyukjae had groaned, complained about how the movie didn't do vampires justice, or facepalmed when the vampire love interest, Edward, started sparkling in the sunlight. 

Donghae was actually enjoying the movie and its cheesy romance tropes despite Hyukjae's numerous "annoyed" comments. He realized that Hyukjae actually had a lot in common with Edward Cullen, with his incredibly transluscent skin, soft dark hair and piercing eyes. 

Donghae thought about it further, and noticed that he felt the same way Bella felt about her vampire lover: frightened but constantly intrigued. Donghae shook his head, ridding his brain of such thoughts and comparisons, until he felt Hyukjae gradually shifting closer to him on the couch. He kept his eyes glued to the screen, watching as Edward would protect Bella in different situations, and careful not to focus on the oncoming man next to him. 

Hyukjae bit his swollen bottom lip, surprised that the blonde did not seem to inch away or call him out for acting so strange. Instead, it was almost as if Donghae was testing how close he could get; flirting with the idea of being dangerously intimate.

The vampire proceeded close enough to Donghae's neck to get a slight whiff of the blonde's overwhelming sweet and musky scent. It was intoxicating to the vampire, and it took every ounce of strength he contained not to bite into his skin right then and there. Donghae gripped the blanket into his fingers, his hands becoming shaky as he waited in prickling anticipation for the taller man's next move. 

Hyukjae breathed in sharply, and out slowly, his mouth open and barely pushing hot, tickling air onto Donghae's skin. Donghae shivered, goosebumps forming on every expanse of his body and he honestly didn't want him to stop. Honoring his unsaid command, Hyukjae continued breathing down the side of his neck, smelling his pheromones and then suddenly brushing his thick lips lightly against Donghae's soft neck. Donghae made a small sound of fear, and he quickly bolted out of his seat, which made Hyukjae fall onto his face on the couch. 

"I-I'm gonna...make some p-popcorn..." Donghae stumbled over his words, a fierce blush rising on his cheeks. Hyukjae sat up straight, and fixed his hair. 

"I thought you said you didn't want any." The vampire reminded, smirking boldly. 

Donghae's face got even redder as he placed a popcorn bag into the microwave, covering his face with his hands and praying his heart would stop pounding in his ears. 

 

Donghae tugged on a well-fitting black blazer, looking over himself in a full length mirror. He tilted his head in thought, reaching his fingers to his neck, deciding to the first two buttons on his crisp white dress shirt. He nervously stuffed his hands into his pants pockets, biting his lip and chewing it.

He was overwhelmed with anxiousness to meet Siwon for their first proper date in weeks, and he wasn't sure why. 

"You look nice." 

Donghae abruptly spun around, getting a glimpse of Hyukjae, who hadn't changed out of his sweatpants standing closely behind him. Donghae felt his cheeks instinctually flare up, the blush coloring his face with embarrassment. 

"Thank you." 

"Like I said...Siwon's a lucky guy." Hyukjae complimented, tangling his rough looking fingers into his bed-head, making it stick up in strange angles. The blonde had to look away in order to get his heart rate to slow down. Donghae stifled a laugh, and met his reflection in the mirror again, finally giving a last look over his appearance before taking his keys in his palms. 

"It should be refreshing to be able to see him again." Hyukjae offered, shifting his weight on his feet. 

Donghae felt his heart jolt, the thought of greeting Siwon's kind eyes, sweet smile and dimples made the blonde's stomach turn somehow. He had never been this nervous with him before.

"Yeah." Donghae breathed, his eyes darting around the dorm in apprehension. 

A hard knocking at the door pushed Donghae out of his fantasy world into harsh reality, and he put on a heartwarming smile as he swung open the door to greet his boyfriend.

Siwon was stunned.

"You look...amazing. Almost too good for even this fancy place I'm taking you to." Siwon reeled Donghae into him by the small of his back, his large hands cradling his smaller body in his. 

Hyukjae stalked from a distance, his eyes hooded by his sharp, dark eyebrows. As Siwon pressed light kisses to Donghae's ear, Hyukjae was astonished to see the shorter man take a few steps back to cut the attention short. 

"I'll be back later on, okay Hyukjae?" 

"Maybe you should stay at my place tonight, baby. It couldn't hurt." Siwon whispered, just loud enough for Hyukjae to hear.

Hyukjae suddenly flared up, walking into full view of the well dressed couple. 

"Actually Siwon, that's not such a good idea. He's got class at 8AM tomorrow, and finals are next week." He reasoned, trying to avoid whatever Siwon was implying. 

Siwon chuckled, clearly amused. 

"Well, it'll be hard to let you go when you look this good. But, I guess your roommate has a point." Siwon flashed a white grin, pulling Donghae out the door with a short wave in Hyukjae's direction. 

The vampire stood in the lack of daylight, swiping his tongue across his teeth and gums, flicking the points of his incisors. His insatiable desire to feed was becoming insurmountable, his fangs consuming every respectable aspect he possessed. He needed blood.

It was turning him into an animal, and he paced around in the suddenly very small dorm room, like a starved tiger in its cage. He hadn't tasted human blood in ages, it seemed. For months, he had been relying on feeding on stray animals in the late hours when Donghae was asleep to stay healthy, but it was nothing compared to human blood. The police had been on his trail pretty heavily following the kidnappings, which caused Hyukjae to stop hunting people. But the lack of rich, thick, flavorful liquid was certainly taking its toll on the vampire. 

He sighed, trying to tide himself over with boring, mind-numbing television until he could adequately feed on something. 

 

Swirling around the dark red liquid in his stemmed wine glass, Donghae dreamily let his mind roam about, pondering about things that he probably shouldn't have been thinking about. Siwon had been nonstop talking about football, and what techniques he needed to master before the championship game, but his words slipped right into one of Donghae's ears only to pour out unheeded through the other. 

Truth be told, Donghae's mind was filled with images of Hyukjae's seemingly fragile skin, rosy lips and black holes for eyes. He knew it was wrong, but wrong was all Donghae felt like was right. 

"And Coach told ME to sit on the bench! Can you believe that? It was ridiculous." Siwon noticed Donghae's glazed over stare as soon as he finished his story, humbling himself to ask if his boyfriend was okay. 

"Yeah, I'm perfectly fine. Just tired." 

Siwon didn't truly buy Donghae's excuse, but he acted like he did by putting on a dazzling smile and enveloping Donghae's hand in his own, massaging the skin on top like he knew Donghae loved. 

Donghae fell out of his myriad of thoughts, glancing up into Siwon's big eyes instead of the wine in his glass. Donghae remembered how much he adored the simple action, sudden butterflies in his stomach multiplying each time the dark haired man would rub his thumb across his knuckles in the most gentle fashion. 

Guilt and shame overtook Donghae's body, holding him hostage. In that moment, Donghae's confused mind curved into an expression of desperation, a cry for help to do the right thing. But what was right?

He his lips, savoring the leftover taste of an expensive cut of steak and bitter vegetables. 

"You don't seem like yourself. I've noticed how different you've been acting." Siwon honestly said, squeezing Donghae's hands and searching for an answer.

"I'm okay. Maybe it's just the fact that we haven't been spending as much time with each other." 

"Well, if this is the result of taking a break, then I slightly regret it. But you know, Coach was right, my stamina has gotten a ton better." Siwon bragged, taking a long sip of wine as Donghae hid an eyeroll from him.

"I'm really alright. You don't have to worry." Donghae painted on a smile, reassuring his boyfriend as much as he could. 

"You're perfect, you know that?" Siwon lovingly sighed. 

 

Siwon finally bid his boyfriend goodnight, walking him to his dorm room, and placing a warm kiss on his hand before leaving. Donghae slumped against the door, shivering at the freezing breeze blowing through the hallway. His mind corroded with thoughts and feelings for Hyukjae caused an uproarious rebellion; his love for Siwon  suddenly less important. Donghae never imagined himself thinking that way. He coughed, shuddering at the frigid temperature as he turned the key to enter his dorm. 

Hyukjae was laying leisurely on the couch, cuddling a throw pillow in his arms as he jumped up, extremely pleased to see Donghae. 

"How'd it go? Refreshing?" He questioned. 

Donghae cleared his throat. A long silence set in.

"Tell me why it wasn't everything I needed it to be." 

"Sorry, what?" The vampire narrowed his eyebrows at the blonde. 

"This feeling I had...it wasn't like me at all." Donghae mumbled, for once fiercely staring at Hyukjae without backing down or surrendering. 

"Donghae, I'm not sure what you mean." 

"You're doing something to me. Why did I think about you the entire time, huh?" Donghae said rather angrily, forcefully pushing Hyukjae away from him. 

Hyukjae tried to breathe calmly but failed, poorly controlling his animalistic needs as he advanced forward, even closer to Donghae than he'd ever been before. Just then, he drove Donghae up against the wall, the shorter man hitting his head on the hard surface all while holding a fixed glare at his roommate. Due to the suffocating proximity, Donghae laid a curious hand on Hyukjae's chest, tenderly pressing his fingertips into his skin, practically burning a hole through the cotton of his shirt. Hyukjae glanced down in surprise at his touch. 

"Kiss me." Donghae commanded.

Hyukjae happily obliged. 

He drove his entire body forward, pressing Donghae's form against the wall. The friction causing the blonde to quietly moan as his innocent touch on Hyukjae's chest turned into a desperate fist, clutching his shirt in his fingers to crash his lips onto his own. 

Their mouths moved quickly, hungrily tasting the other and fufilling desires that had been laying dormant for far too long. Hyukjae deepened their kiss by turning his head to the side, grasping the back of Donghae's head and threading his fingers in his golden hair. 

Once he needed air, Donghae pulled away gasping, and the sight alone of his now reddened and abused lips and hazy gaze was enough to send Hyukjae over the edge. He was unable to control the overwhelming urges any longer. 

"Hyukjae...please." 

With one hand in Donghae's thick hair, he used the other to swiftly pop buttons on Donghae's dress shirt, aggressively ripping off his blazer altogether. He needed to see skin. Donghae was breathless, but willing, his mouth open wide in shock and arousal in an attempt to get air into his lungs. Hyukjae grunted as he pulled Donghae's shirt open, letting it drape over his shoulders, exposing Donghae's neck and delicious looking collarbones. 

The vampire pulled his victim's hair back, causing Donghae to groan in half protest as his thick neck was shown off even more. Hyukjae held a tight grip on his prey with his other hand on Donghae's waist, steadying him against the wall. 

Hyukjae opened his mouth, his fangs razor-like as his lips ran back across his gums, and his eyes blending into a deep scarlet. Obsessive hunger overtook him, and he brutally pierced his teeth through Donghae's soft, honey colored skin, his neck soon aching with shooting pain. 

Donghae cried out, grabbing hopelessly onto the wall for stability as he panted wildly between weak screams. Hyukjae began to bite harder, Donghae's breathing harsh and shallow. He couldn't believe what was happening. Donghae's cries in excruciating pain were soon silenced as Hyukjae removed his incisors from Donghae's neck to look him dead in the eyes, his rounder nose ticklishly brushing against the blonde's straighter one. Donghae gasped, his frightened eyes wide open, noticing a small trickle of his own dark red blood at the corner of Hyukjae's lips. 

"Shh...you don't want someone to hear us, right?" Hyukjae coaxed deeply, caressing his victim's hips before eagerly diving in again, this time his lips latching onto Donghae's neck, the blood clean from his veins. 

Donghae quieted down obediently, his doubts and fears of Hyukjae's teeth and glowing red eyes subsiding as a numbing feeling began setting in from his head to his feet. It was unlike anything he'd ever felt before; more pleasurable than even the most violent he'd ever experienced. His mind was unable to think about anything other than how amazing his roommate's mouth felt.

Hyukjae moved his lips and tongue perfectly, causing the experience to become more enjoyable to Donghae, even as his knees fell weaker and weaker. Swirling black spots started forming on the corners of Donghae's vision, the euphoric state he was in coming to a very brisk close. 

Hyukjae could physically feel Donghae's rapid heartbeat slowing through his skin as he the blood from his neck relentlessly. The latter tried speaking, but the delirium tackled his brain, making it useless. The blonde groaned weakly, his knees buckling as his eyesight blurred and blackened. 

He then collapsed into the vampire's arms, barely breathing as Hyukjae swallowed the last bit of sweet, hot blood down his throat with a satisfied sigh.

 

(A/N: This got a bit silly towards the middle, but I hope you all enjoy this new chapter anyway~)