Back Home

What's In A Name

I'm all smiles as I think about spending more time with Yoongi. I've never actually had a relationship with an actor. Usually they just flirt with you and then ignore you when the shoot is done, and I'm experienced enough now to recognize that and not feel flattered by attention that isn't really for me. 

It is strange that I didn't realize he was an actor. He's handsome enough to be an actor, even with that scar they applied with make up. That scar startled me because he looked so much like Agust D, but I suppose that's why he was hired. I can't let myself get carried away thinking about Yoongi now I need to do a good job and get done with the day so I can meet him for dinner. Every frame must be in perfect focus.

I've spent a few hours working on the next set up with extras and I've not seen Yoongi for a while. It's starting to get dark and the courtyard is now lit with torches glowing from every area. I know it will be difficult to pull focus in the low light situation but I've been told the character doesn't move very much. How different from Agust D I think. 

Just then Yoongi is led onto the set by the arm, it's shocking to see his arms are bound, and he has a blindfold pulled down over his eyes. He's set down on his knees in the dirt. My mouth drops open as I stare over at him. I can't believe he's playing a character that gets tortured by the King, when I spent all yesterday being tortured by the King. I laugh to myself as I think 'well, that's one more thing we have in common'.

I step up cautiously toward Yoongi to get a focus mark, careful not to move too quickly toward him looking so vulnerable. As I approach quietly he tilts his head up toward me.

"Emma?" he asks looking around.

"How did you know?" I ask him softly. I pretend to be checking the measurement so I can lean in closer to him.

"Your energy. I can sense it," he tells me. "I knew it was you."

I'm a little dumbstruck. No one has ever said anything like that to me, and I don't know how to respond. "Really?" I stand there staring at him.

"Yes, that and, I can actually see through this blindfold." He bursts out laughing. It catches me off guard but I laugh too. 

"You must think I'm so gullible." I laugh at myself. He grins and reaches his bound hands up to brush against my leg.

"Yes, a little. But I like it." He smiles up at me. 

I step back toward the camera as the Director calls for playback to begin. I hear the same music, a different part, and as 'Action' is called, Yoongi immediately starts miming along with the words of the song, speaking so fast I have lost track of what he's actually saying. He doesn't miss a line though, he's very good. He moves forward and backward on his knees, almost similar to Agust D. 

I'm not sure what exactly is happening in the video between their two characters, but I never know on an MV. You never get a script, and everything comes together in the Edit Suite. I usually don't know what's going on until I happen to see the video on Youtube a month later. 

I can tell he's good though. He has a presence about him. I think he will be very successful. I try to focus on work so I can get everything in sharp focus. I don't want to make us run late and miss a chance to have dinner with him. Once we are back in Seoul, who knows if we will actually get to see each other again. I rarely get to work with the same people. It can be a lonely job in any country but particularly in a country where you are still an outsider. 

I worked on a MV last year for a K POP band BTS, and it was a great shoot. The crew were so nice and professional. I really enjoyed it. I didn't really interact with the band, but they all seemed genuinely nice and hard working. There was one man who kept speaking to me before and after takes, and I couldn't quite tell if he was flirting or just being welcoming. Sometimes people treat me differently because they know I'm a foreigner.

But then I never saw anyone from that crew again other than a camera operator I worked for once, and my friend Soo Yin who actually called me for this job. There's always a lot of down time to sit and think on a MV, which isn't always good for me, and then it's rush, rush, rush to get it all done, but the shoots end quickly and it's on to the next. 

It's fully dark when we set up for the last shot. It's Yoongi in a profile shot in the courtyard with a revolver he's aiming toward the space where the King was standing yesterday. 

I assume it ends with him killing the King, but we don't see or hear more than Yoongi pulling back out of the frame. The Director begins to clap after watching playback and announces that it's a wrap. I sigh relieved. I'm so happy to be done and eager to get everything inventoried and stored for the trip back to Seoul in the morning. I know I have an hours work still to do, but I think it's still early enough for us to meet up. I feel a hand on my arm and I spin around to see Yoongi, taking off some of his wardrobe already. 

"Can I meet you back at the hotel?" he asks. I nod. "Pack all your things, I'll give you a ride back to Seoul tonight."

"It's over an hour away, are you sure?" I ask him. 

"Definitely. There's a place I want to take you." He smiles so warmly I can't help but giggle. He leans in and kisses me on the lips, pulling me close to him. I'm so glad not to be holding expensive equipment because I would have dropped it on the ground as I melt a little into his arms. 

***

I pack up the equipment faster than I probably ever have, still being careful to inventory and label each case before it's return to the rental house. I'm eager to get back to the hotel and shower and change. I don't have much to pack, I only brought one bag and my tools for the job, but somehow I will find something I brought to make me feel feminine and comfortable being with Yoongi.

I already feel comfortable with him, but my head is spinning with the idea that he likes me, and I am really attracted to him, but I've also been dressed pretty tomboy like all day in work clothes for set, and I have also embarrassed myself already several times. I just want to make a good impression. 

It's almost 10pm when he knocks on my door, and I finish throwing everything into my bag and open the door to greet him. He stands in the doorway, one arm casually on the frame as he leans in and looks around. 

"Can I help you carry something?" he asks probably wondering where all my luggage is.

"This is my bag of tools, it's a little heavy," I warn him as he lifts it with effort.

"Ugh! it is heavy. You carry this around all day?" He lifts it up and down like a weight.

"Well, I leave it on the camera truck mostly." Suddenly. again, I feel less than feminine. I try to smile at him coyly. He grins at me. 

"Let's go." He leads me into the hallway and down the stairs to the street. There's a large black car parked right in front of the building and several local people are standing near it peering inside. When they see him come out they hurry away from the car. 

I don't know much about cars but this seems too fancy for him and I wonder if he's borrowed it to impress me. I'm already impressed just watching him work today so he really needn't have bothered. He puts my bags in the trunk and comes around to open the car door for me. 

""Yoongi, is this your car?"I ask as I get in, feeling the soft leather seats. I look up at him.

He smiles, "Of course it is. You don't think I borrowed a car to try to impress you do you?" How can he read my mind?! I laugh pretending that wasn't exactly what I was wondering. 

"Maybe," I say smiling back at him.

"Oh, would that work?" I shake my head 'no' and laugh. He gets into the car and pulls out onto the road leaving town and heading into the darkness. 

"You don't have to try to impress me, I'm already a little impressed," I admit to him. He glances over at me, grins and shifts gears, letting his hand fall to rest on my bare knee. The feel of his hand on my skin sends a tingle straight through me and I think he can hear me gasp a little at his touch. 

He has to remove his hand to shift gears again and it's as though he's left permanent heat mark on my skin in the shape of his fingers. I watch the dark scenery pass by as we merge onto the highway toward the city. I know it's late, and I haven't eaten anything in hours, but I really don't mind if we stay here in this car forever, it's so nice to be near him. 

"I'm not actually very good at talking to girls," he confesses. "I wasn't sure if you would say yes tonight, I mean I hoped you would, but I didn't know."

"But, I kissed you last night," I remind him. 

"Well, yes, that was really nice. I thought about that kiss for hours," he says dreamily, and then he snaps back to the conversation, stumbling over his words, "But, I just wasn't sure if you would still like me when you knew who I was."

I don't understand exactly what he means. "It's true I didn't know you were an actor. But it isn't a problem. I like artists. I am an artist really, I just also love working with the cameras and I'm learning to shoot projects on my own. I hope to be the cinematographer someday and work with the director to come up with the visuals."

His hand drops back to my knee again. "That's great. I'd love to see some of the things you've done." 

I blush a little. "Nothing big, but I do cut my own videos sometimes to music, images I like and footage I've shot. Maybe I'll show you someday," I say turning away a little shy about the work. 

Although we speak quite comfortably, I do notice that he hasn't told me much about his work or the projects he's done. I don't know if he's being shy or modest. But he's very happy to tell me all about growing up in Daegu and school and his hope he could really get to do great work one day. He is different, not your average guy I've met or dated, and I'm sure he will do amazing things one day. He makes me feel special just being near him.