Meeting Min Yoongi

What's In A Name

The Shower in my tiny hotel room barely spits out water, but it's enough to wash away the grime of the dust and the sweat from the day.  It just feels good to take off work clothes and put on something more feminine and I put on a short skirt and a loose top untucked. 

I can only towel dry my hair so I put it back into the loose bun. I take a little time to put on some make up, a little mascara and lip color. I don't want to look like I'm trying too hard, but, I kind of like the idea of meeting someone, maybe forgetting the day with friends. 

I walk down the stairs and out onto the street, teeming with life. The entire village must be out walking tonight and it's more crowded than I expected. 

The bar is just on the other side of the hotel so I walk in the door, half expecting a bunch of strangers to turn and stare at me as I enter just like in the movies, but I am happy to recognize many faces from the production. 

I scan the room for the make up women I spoke to on the bus and I see them over at a small table in a corner. I move through the bar to join them and take a seat across from them with my back to a small group of men they had just been speaking to before I walked up.  Sang Hee,  hands me a drink smiling at me broadly. I take a big sip thanking her.

"I can't stay out late, I want to be ready for tomorrow. Although nothing could be as bad as today was! I'm so glad not to have to see Agust D again," I say perhaps too loudly. One of the women buries her face in her hand laughing, and Sang Hee's mouth drops open. She looks behind me as a man with short dark hair turns toward us and looks at me. 

"Yeah, that guy is the worst!" he says and his two friends laugh and hit each other behind him at the table. 

"I'll drink to that," I say, realizing my glass is now empty as I look up into his kind dark eyes. He smiles and indicates to the bartender 'two more'. The drinks are immediately placed in front of us. He hands drinks to the other women at my table as well. They smile and seem to be laughing and hiding from him a little embarrassed. The man leans closer to me while his two friends watch us.

"So you didn't like Agust D?" His friends are laughing and I'm not sure why but they look familiar so I assume they must have been on the crew set as well. Maybe everyone secretly dislikes Agust D and he's a jerk to everyone, not just to me. I shake my head 'no'.  "Was he that bad?" he asks.

"I'm almost positive he tried to get me fired today. Were you there?" I ask.

He nods as his friends behind him continue to laugh, almost snorting they're trying unsuccessfully to stifle the laughter. I shoot a curious look in their direction and he turns his chair around to face me and draw my gaze away.

"Yes, we all were, but I'm sure he wasn't trying to get you fired."

"He did seem nice at first, but then as soon as I let him know I didn't know who he was he got really annoyed and started trying to make me mess up the focus."

"Oh, is that it?" he says, almost to himself. He shoots a look back to his friends. "I'm Min Yoongi," he introduces himself, and the women behind me laugh. I think he might have winked at one of them but I can't be sure. Maybe they know each other well. I gulp my drink and smile boldly at him. 

"I'm Emma. I'm a camera assistant." He nods.

"This is Jin, and Jungkook, they were on the market set today." I nod and bow in a greeting to them.

" I didn't see that set, I was with his 'royal highness' in the palace courtyard." 

He stands up and moves toward our table, almost as if on cue, the make up women stand up and move to join his table to sit with Jin and Jungkook, leaving Yoongi to join me alone in the corner. He motions for two more drinks and sets them down in front of me. I thank him.

"Last one though, I need to be fresh for tomorrow," I say and he smiles and nods as though he understands. 

"I'm sure he wasn't trying to get you fired," he repeats himself, but after the quick drinks I'm feeling very bold. I shake my head.

"Don't stick up for him, he told me he was going to make it hard on me, and then I did mess up. Once. It was terrible." I shudder thinking about that moment when he smiled at me knowing I messed up.

"But if it was only once I'm sure everything was fine in the end," he reassures me.

"It will be much better tomorrow. I feel better just being able to talk about it actually." I sigh deeply like I'm releasing all the tension of the day. I smile up at him studying his face, wondering if I saw him on set. 

"Why are you in Korea Emma?" he asks, and I let the third drink loosen my tongue as I tell him about the boyfriend I followed to Korea and then decided to stay on after we broke up. 

"It's been two months, I'm much happier to not be with him, he was always very jealous and I work a lot with actors and performers so there was always a fight about which actor gave me his number or who hired me on a job."  He nods, tilting his head close to me, listening. 

"I can see that might be a problem, but do you see him still?" I shake my head 'no'. 

"I just wanted to be out of Seoul and travel for a bit. I've been traveling around for a few weeks. I have to return soon but I don't think we are likely to run into each other again."

He smiles, "Oh, you live in Seoul, so do I," he says and I hear more laughter from his friends behind us.  There is something so warm and friendly in his smile, but something familiar. I'm sure I must have seen him on set and didn't realize. I was probably too negatively focused on Agust D to notice there was a nice guy right there all along. 

His friends get up to speak to some other people in the bar, followed sometime later by the girls from set. "Will you be OK if we leave you here with Min Yoongi?" Sang Hee asks. 

"I'll make sure she gets back to her room safely," he promises. They smile up at him and wave goodbye. He moves closer to me, laying his hand close to mine. "Did you like the music today, even if you didn't like the artist?" he asks, and he seems somewhat nervous.

"Yes, I really did, I mean he's very talented, apart from being very mean and rude," I say confidently. He laughs and puts his hand on mine, letting his fingers wrap around mine as I feel his body move closer. 

His eyes almost sparkle as they look at me. I feel really warm and comfortable with him, and I don't think it's just the three drinks making me feel that way. Maybe it's having a real connection with someone that I've been craving. But I'm glad to stop at three drinks because I know there is a lot of work on set tomorrow. I don't really want to say goodnight to him but I know it's best if I do. I excuse myself to  leave and he stands with me, holding my hand. 

"I'll walk you to your room," he says, and I guess he's likely staying at the same hotel since he takes me right to the door. I lead him to my room door and turn to face him, just for a moment considering inviting him in, but deciding I shouldn't. I don't know if he could tell by my pause what I was thinking but he starts speaking quickly.

"Emma, it was wonderful to meet you tonight, and to spend time with you," he begins. His eyes drop, looking down at my lips. He pauses and I notice he wets his soft lips and in that moment I give in to my urge and I lean in and kiss him softly, feeling his smooth skin and his warm breath. I pull back and search his eyes for a reaction. He smiles a big gummy smile that seems familiar and so comfortable.

"I'm glad we got the chance to get to know each other," I say. He lifts my hand to his lips, kisses it slowly, before releasing it as he backs down the hallway away from me. 

"I can't wait to see you tomorrow," he says, smiling. He disappears around the corner. 

I stand at my closed door, one hand on the doorknob, one hand still hanging in the air where he left it. I smile to myself and go into my room, falling down onto my tiny bed in a heap of delight. And I can't wait to see him tomorrow! Tomorrow will be different. Tomorrow there will be no Agust D to annoy me, and Min Yoongi will be there. I sigh deeply, happy with how the day has ended and I fall asleep in my clothes across my still made bed.

I wake in the morning feeling refreshed, despite still being fully dressed and even wearing my shoes. It's still early but I'm hoping to get to set early. I'm actually looking forward to it. Yesterday was difficult but last night was great. I met someone with the sweetest smile and kind eyes and he seemed really interested in me. And I kissed him! I throw my arm over my face ashamed at my boldness, but his lips were so soft and he tasted so good.  

I blush with embarrassment even though I'm alone in the room. I could have so easily invited him into my room, but I'm glad I didn't. I tend to judge people too quickly and sometimes I think they're right for me when they aren't. Just like I thought Agust D was really nice and caring at first. And just like I thought my ex boyfriend could stop acting jealous of every actor I worked with. I need to take this slow and just see how he feels about me, and how I feel about him.  

Oh but he lives in Seoul...I say in my head. I might be able to actually see him again. I sigh and decide I need to shake off this infatuation and focus on doing my job today, and we will see where the day takes me. 

I get ready quickly and meet the bus running back and forth to set. It would be really nice if he happened to be on the bus, but he isn't. The bus ride is short and I don't recognize the people on it, but the crew is bigger today because we are doing car stunts. When I get to set I have a lot of cleaning of cases to do because the first shot is a car doing donuts in the dirt and they had to ship in the dirt and it seems to be everywhere. This gives me work to distract me from fantasies about men I've only just met, and I get cases ready and make sure the camera is wrapped and the lenses are cleaned and protected. 

Our first shot is the stunt driver doing the donuts and so much dust is kicked up that we have to stop to clean the lenses again. The crew takes the extra time to reset for another take and I'm busy working when I hear someone get out of the car and come up behind me.

"Emma?" I hear a familiar voice, I turn to see Yoongi walking toward me. I'm confused as I look at him. He's in street clothes, but he has a scar over his eye, in the same spot Agust D had a scar yesterday. "I'm happy to see you again." He smiles and reaches out to my cheek. He notices I'm surprised. 

"Yoongi, I - I didn't realize you were an actor," I say looking back at the car and the other actors standing around it. "You seemed so down to earth, I just assumed you were on the crew like me," I tell him.  "It's ok if you can't talk to me today, I don't want you to get into any trouble." He laughs, leaning close to me.

"It will be ok, don't worry. I wanted to ask if you would have dinner with me after the shoot tonight?" he smiles timidly, waiting for my answer. 

"But I will probably have to stay later, it's our last night so I have to make sure everything is packed up properly," I warn him.

"I'll wait for you, just say you want to have dinner with me." He seems more confident. I smile leaning in close to him to whisper.

"Yes, very much," I tell him. He quickly kisses my cheek before anyone else notices and walks back to the stunt car. The second unit camera operator places a mounted camera on the side door of the car as Yoongi leans out of the window for the next take. The camera is in fixed position so I'm not needed on this segment. I go to prep the next set up while he works.