Chapter VII

Queen Of Hollywood

“I got this gig for you in New York if you are interested.” Yuri took a seat at the table.

“Yul, you do know I am not planning to be on any work. A year off, remember?” Jessica responded. Both of them were having breakfast at the hotel’s café.

“Yeah I know. But just hear me out.” Yuri said excitedly.

“Hm okay.” Jessica said before she took a sip on her coffee.

“Is there by any chance you know the play ‘Big Apple: The Musical’? Yuri asked with a smile.

“Hmm yeah, everyone knows Big Apple The Musical. But what does a play in Broadway has got anything to do with me?” Jessica asked back weirdly.

“Eh wait, where’s Sooyoung?” Yuri looked around the café.

“She went home last night.” Jessica said.

“She went home? Am I sensing trouble here?” She asked.

“No Yul. She’s on her way here now.” Jessica assured her.

“Hm okay. Anyways, where was I.. Yes, Big Apple. Guess what, the Creative Director reached out to me asking if you are interested to be part of the cast.” Yuri revealed.

“What? You are joking right?” Jessica paused herself as she had never heard something that unreal in her life.

“I am not Jess.”

“You are saying that a play in Broadway, wants me to be part of their cast?”

“Yes. Production starts in 3weeks time. But the part is not the main but your character will be having its own scenes in the play.” Yuri smiled widely.

Jessica stood up from her chair as she still couldn’t believe what she heard. She was still trying to grasps the idea of herself performing on Broadway.

“So what do you say..” Yuri stood up from her chair.

“Oh god, I might need to do a bit more reading on this, but yes! A thousand times yes!!” Jessica exclaimed excitedly and went to hug the woman in front of her.

“Not bad for a re-hired manager huh?” Yuri laughed as she returned the hug.

“God, how on earth did you manage to pull this off. I seriously can’t believe this..” Jessica was still in shock.

“Can’t believe what?” Suddenly someone interfered. Both of them immediately released themselves from the hug and turned towards the person. Of course, it was Sooyoung.

“Babe! You wouldn’t believe this!!” Jessica grabbed the girl’s arm and pulled her closer.

“Hmm?” Sooyoung looked at the woman.

“Yuri just got me a gig in Broadway!!!” She revealed the news.

“Broadway in New York.” Yuri interrupted the conversation.

“I know where Broadway is.” Sooyoung said seriously as she stared at Yuri. Then she turned her head towards her girlfriend who seemed so happy.

“That’s great.” Sooyoung forced a smile. Jessica went on to kiss her on the lips and hugged her tightly.  

“Alright, I’ll leave you two to go through the good news together.” Yuri smiled. “We’ll talk some more about this okay.” Yuri then looked at Jessica before she gave the woman a hug in front of Sooyoung.

“Yes please.” Jessica smiled. Then she waved her manager goodbye. Sooyoung took a seat in front of the woman. “Broadway huh?” She mumbled.

“I couldn’t even believe myself.” Jessica said. It was certainly the best news that she had heard in her life.

“Why would Yuri got you this gig when she knows you will be on a one-year hiatus?” Sooyoung asked.

“Things happen when you least expected it. The play will start production in 3 weeks’ time.” Jessica informed with a smile.

“3 weeks?”

“Oh god, I really don’t know how to process this. This is so surreal.” Jessica couldn’t contain her happiness.

“I thought you wanted to spend time with your family and me.” Sooyoung braved herself to say it.

“We will baby.” Jessica held on Sooyoung’s hand that was on the table.

“You just said production starts in 3 weeks.” Sooyoung reiterated.

“Can I get you coffee or tea?” Suddenly they were interrupted by the waitress.

“No thanks, I’m just about to leave.” Sooyoung said as she stood up from her chair.

“Babe..”

“I’m just going to take my stuff and head home.” Sooyoung said seriously before she left. Jessica let out a sigh before she followed the girl.

As soon as Sooyoung entered their hotel room, she straightaway took her luggage bag and started to pack all her stuff.

“Baby..” Jessica called out for her. No response as the girl kept on packing her stuff. “Sooyoung..” She called out again but still she was being ignored.

“Please make me understand why you are being like this? The fact that you just left me last night..” Jessica vented out her frustration.

“I guess I should be relieved that at least you noticed that I was not around.” Sooyoung mumbled in sarcasm which frustrates Jessica even more. “Soo, can we please just have an adult conversation? I am so so tired.” Jessica said.

“It’s always going to be about you.” Sooyoung said as she stopped packing and stared at the woman.

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“I bet you only started to realize that I wasn’t around right before you went to bed right?” Sooyoung asked. “Who am I kidding here.. I am a nobody. You just needed someone to be with you every day after your busy schedule. That’s been the routine for the past 6months. That could actually summarized our entire relationship.” She said.

“Is that what you think of me?” Jessica asked back,

“I really really love you. As much as I think that this is going to work, I don’t think it is.” Sooyoung said with a tear came down her cheek in which she immediately wiped it away with her hand. “You valued Yuri and your career even more than I am.” She said.

“What makes you think that..” Jessica said softly. “I am so very much in love with you. You are my priority.” She said.

“Hyo told me something crazy last night, she asked me to go the press conference room because she said you would be revealing to the press about me. And I went so eagerly. But found out you re-hired Yuri and apparently would be spending time with her during your one-year hiatus. Then I stood there like an idiot looking at my own girlfriend confessing her profound love for her manager in front of the world.” Sooyoung said with a crack voice.

“Last night was about you. You deserved to celebrate and share the success with Yuri and your glamorous celebrity friends. I didn’t take it to heart or whatsoever because I knew you worked so hard to be where you are. But I was just so exhausted and really felt suffocated that I just wanted to leave. And I didn’t leave with Tiffany. I was just being stupid I thought if I mentioned Tiffany, you would feel jealous and call me right away. But yeah, who was I kidding... I am a nobody, why would you, the fabulous Jessica Jung of all people would come running to me.” She added with more tears running down.  

“Then, there’s Broadway. It saddens me that you decided to accept the part without talking it out with me. I thought we had plans. We would be meeting your parents, then travel around the US and Canada, and so many other things that you have laid out for us.” She said. “But yes, Broadway is huge. Something that you just can’t pass. I understand why you accept it right away.” She nodded her head as she looked down.

“We will still be with each other despite the change of plans. I want us to get a place in New York, you me together in the big city.” Jessica said softly.

Sooyoung let out a sigh and wiped her tears with the sleeve of her shirt. “Jessica Jung, I am sure, you yourself know, how I am not needed here.” She said.

“That is not true.” Jessica responded and this time around, her tears were falling down.

“You will have Yuri with you, and I am certain she would be guiding you, holding your hands throughout your new journey.” Sooyoung smiled. Jessica went silent as tears were running down her face.

Sooyoung then zipped her luggage bag and checked the whole room if there was anything else. She then made her way to the door. Before reaching the door, she turned to look at the woman.

“If I were to ask you to choose between me or Yuri, what would it be?”

“That is not fair Soo. She just got me Broadway.” Jessica said.

“Right. Of course. If that’s the case I’ll leave instead.” Sooyoung said. She had made up her mind.

“Sooyoung, please don’t go.” Jessica pleaded.

“As your creative coordinator for the last time, I just want to say that there is nothing I wanted more than to see you successful. I know one day you would conquer the world. That has always been the aim ever since I started working for you 4 years ago.” She said.

“Goodbye Jessica.” She mumbled before she left the hotel room with tears running down her face.

*****

2 Years Later

“With 3 Broadway shows the past 2 years, you have taken the world by storm. So, what’s next for Jessica Jung?” A questioned being asked by a reported.

“Well, I am sure you have heard the rumor that I have just opened a recording company in LA. Broadway has been rewarding for sure. But the goal here is to be back on my roots. I am planning in releasing an album in the fall.”

“LA huh? We will have a new Queen of Hollywood people!!” The reported exclaimed which resulted a laugh from Jessica.

“Let’s take things one step at a time. The final show of Big Apple: The Musical is tonight. So do cheer for us.” Jessica ended the interview gracefully. Life had been a rollercoaster for Jessica the past 2 years. It was indeed an experienced that she wouldn’t trade for anything else. Being on Broadway had skyrocketed her popularity. She was known as the next global star.

Big Apple: The Musical had been an ongoing Broadway Show for the past 2 years and that night would be its final show. As sad as she was, Jessica felt that it was time for her to move on. She missed singing, performing on stage alone.

“Hey, are you okay?” Suddenly she felt a hand on her shoulder which startled her.

“Oh hey. Yes yes I am. A bit emotional tho.” She smiled. She was just done with her makeup. The show would be starting in 30mins time.

“To be honest I am too.”

“Who wouldn’t right? 2 years just passed by so fast. Didn’t expect myself to be doing this at all.” Jessica chuckled. “Are you heading to Boston after the show?” Jessica then asked.

“Hmm I will stay a bit for the AfterParty. The flight is an hour past midnight.”

“Nervous?” Jessica asked.

“Oh god, you have no idea.”

“Didn’t expect the amazing Kwon Yuri to be nervous.” Jessica laughed.

“It’s my first time meeting her parents, what do you expect.” She said nervously. Yuri had been in a relationship with a woman she met a year ago. The woman was one of the PR for the play.

“You’ll do just fine.” Jessica smiled.

“Well. For the last time, break a leg!” Yuri wished her before she went out of the dressing room.

The show ended an hour letter. It was indeed a success. It was full house. Before the afterparty, there would be a quick fan signing with the rest of the casts and that would last an hour. Only then she could enjoy and celebrate with everyone on the success of the show.

The line was a bit longer that night. But it was expected considering that it was the last show. “Yep, let’s brace ourselves.” Jessica said to one of the fellow actors as they looked at the long line of fans waiting for them.

“JESSICA JUNGGGG, YOU WERE INCREDIBLE!!!!!’
“JESSICA WE ADORE YOUU”
“WE HOPE THAT YOU WOULD BE NOMINATED FOR A TONY AWARDDDDD”
“JESSICA JUNG PLS MARRY MEEEEE”

Jessica loved every bit of interaction that she could get with the fans, no matter how exhausted she was. She knew that she wouldn’t be here without the support from the fans.

“To whom should I make this to?” She asked the fan in front of her before signing the show’s playbill.

“Choi Sooyoung.”

Jessica felt her heart just skipped a beat and she immediately looked up towards the person. And there she was. it was indeed Sooyoung. Her Sooyoung.

“Soo..” She stood up from her chair as she was shocked to her very core to be seeing the girl after 2 years. She really didn’t expect Sooyoung to be there in New York, standing in front of her looking back at her.

“Hi.” Sooyoung smiled.

“Hi..” Jessica held her chest with both her hands. She was speechless, starstruck.  

“Hmm why, how..” Jessica lost for words. She didn’t even know where to start.

“I am so sorry to surprise you like this. I didn’t know how to get in contact with you. And thank god, I could get a ticket to the show which I had to pay a fortune on Ebay because it was sold out everywhere. I had a feeling that the person scammed me but yeah whatever. You were really amazing by the way. I mean of course you would, why wouldn’t you be.” Sooyoung started to ramble. She was also all over the place.

Jessica fully scanned the face that she had been missing all these years. She could see the girl was thinner, seemed tired with her puffy eyes but she was still beautiful as she could still remember.

“I really didn’t expect to see you here.” Jessica mumbled softly.

“I really didn’t expect myself to be here either.” Sooyoung smiled. “You were really really brilliant in the play.” She added.

“Thank you. I really couldn’t believe you are really really here.” Jessica said.  

“Mam, we need to keep the line moving.” Suddenly the security guard came to her. “Oh I’m so sorry. Yes yes of course.” Sooyoung nodded her head.

“Good to see you again Jessica.” Sooyoung smiled after Jessica handed her the playbill that was signed.

“Do you have anywhere to be in the next 40minutes?” Jessica quickly asked.

“Ah yes. The airport actually. It’s my last night in town.” Sooyoung revealed. Jessica’s heart skipped another beat after hearing the remarks.

“Sorry Mam, we really really need to keep the line moving.” The security guard appeared again.

“Goodbye Jessica.” Sooyoung smiled before she walked away from the signing table. The same last words came out from Sooyoung the last time she saw the girl.

Everything happened so fast, one minute the girl was in front of her but then she disappeared. Jessica couldn’t contain her feelings, she just stood up from her place and went back to her dressing room. She didn’t know why but tears were falling down on her face as she paced back and forth feeling restless.

A few minutes later, there was a knock on her door.

“Jess, what happened?” Yuri appeared looking worried. Jessica had never stormed out of a fan signing before.

“I saw Sooyoung. She was in front of me. She was in front of me Yul.” Jessica explained while her heartbeat was beating so fast.

“Sooyoung? As in Choi Sooyoung?”

“Yesssss! Choi Sooyoung! My Choi Sooyoung!!!”

“Okay okay. Calm down.” Yuri asked her to sit.

“Please Yul, I need to speak to her.” She begged her manager.

“What do you want me to do Jess? I don’t know how to find her.”

“For god sake Yul! Please do something!!!! She’s only in town till tonight!!!!!!” She exclaimed out loud.

“Yes I will. I will.” Yuri immediately said just to keep the woman comforted. She then excused herself to make a few phone calls. Jessica landed her back on the couch and covered her face with her hands. She really couldn’t explain how Sooyoung could still have this affect on her.

Yuri came back to her dressing room 20minutes later.

“She’s working as an Assistant Head in the Creative Affairs Department for KBS. They had a drama production shooting just outside New York and that’s the reason why she’s here. She was already in town since Monday.” Yuri started to inform on what she could gather from some of her friends in the entertainment business back in Seoul.

“And yes, her flight back to Seoul is tonight.”

*****

“Mum, I’m at the airport already.” Sooyoung informed her mother over the line.

“Let me know once you have boarded.”

“I will.”

Sooyoung ended the call with her mother a few minutes later. She then looked around the airport to look for something to eat. It had been a long day for her. The drama production started around 4AM and ended at 6PM. Thank god she still managed to drive in to the city from Port Washington to see the play on Broadway. It took her almost an hour of driving. At the time, she was still in the same clothes as this morning.

Work certainly had been hectic for her for the past 2 years. She landed the job in KBS from an acquaintance that she knew back in the days when Jessica was promoting on KBS stages. It was indeed an experience to be able to work in television. The job was different to what she had with Jessica, but she was up for the challenge.

The time was 11PM and it was still early. Her flight would be in 3hours. At least she could have the time to rest her body. She was physically exhausted. After meeting with Jessica earlier, her emotions were affected as well.

She sat near the departure gate with a bun and coffee, and finally got the chance to check the playbill that Jessica signed for her. She flipped the pages and had a smile on her face the moment Jessica’s photo appeared under the ‘Production Cast’. She was really outstanding in the play. Her voice was still divine as how she could remember. Jessica was really suited for Musical Theatre. Well, there was nothing the woman couldn’t do.

At the very last page, she finally saw what Jessica had signed and written for her.

Dearest Sooyoung,
After all these years, your presence still lights up my world.
I love you.

Even things ended abruptly between them, her feelings for the woman was still the same. Not even a day passed by, she didn’t look for updates on the woman through the internet. Deep down she knew she would never stand a chance to be with the woman again. Their lives were too different and Jessica had a new life here in the US.

She then folded the bill and put it insider the pocket of her jacket. She sipped her hot coffee and ate the only bun she could find in one of the marts at the airport. She started to feel lightheaded at the time. Due to her tights schedule since Monday, she couldn’t even barely count how many hours she slept.

She was in her own world at the time. Meeting the woman of her dreams after 2 years really took a toll on her. Sooyoung couldn’t shake the fact how graciously beautiful the woman now. She was radiant.

“You should have asked for her number Soo..” She sighed to herself.

“6150346514” Suddenly a voice interrupted her.

Sooyoung startled and turned to look at the person and of course we knew who the person was. “Hmm..why..how..” Sooyoung stuttered. She was speechless beyond words.

“Are you going to save the number?” The woman asked again before she sat next to her.  

“Hmm yes yes of course.” Sooyoung stuttered in shocked. She took her phone and typed it in. “6153465114” She recalled.

“No Sooyoung.” The person took the phone from her hand and saved it for her. Then she handed the phone back to her.

“Thank you.” Sooyoung mumbled as she took the phone. “What are you doing here?” She went on to ask straightaway.

“I am here to ask you something.” Jessica replied.

“Oh okay.” Sooyoung looked at the woman weirdly.

“Have you eaten?” Jessica asked.

“You left the fan signing event, to come all the way to the airport to ask me this?” Sooyoung replied with a question. “You could have just passed the message to the security earlier.” Sooyoung smiled.

“There’s a follow up question to that one by the way.”

“Ah okay.” Sooyoung laughed softly.

“If you haven’t eaten, then I would love to take you out now for a late dinner.” She continued,

“Jess, my flight is in..” Sooyoung was about to answer when Jessica interrupted her again.

“And I was also hoping that you could spend another night in New York. With me.” She went on to ask. There was really nothing to lose for her.

“I am so sorry. I don’t think I can.”

******

“Mum, I just landed.” Sooyoung called her mother as soon as she was at the baggage claim. It was indeed a long 21hours flight for her with a 6hours layover in Seattle. Sooyoung blamed KBS for this. For being inconsiderate. A direct flight would only take 14 hours. Unnecessary layover caused her time.   

“Oh finally, I was so worried. Please go back and rest now! You don’t have to drop by here.” Mrs Choi said. Sooyoung had gotten her own place which was nearby to her office. She was earning a bit better now so she could afford to pay for the house she bought for her mother and rent a place at the same time.

“Hmm okay. I was thinking of grabbing lunch with you.” Sooyoung said. She was beyond exhausted.

“I have already eaten lunch. Please just go home now.”

“It’s 11.30am. You had an early lunch already?” Sooyoung asked weirdly.

“Yes yes. Go home now.” Her mother instructed.

“Hm okay.”

She reached the basement parking of her studio apartment a half an hour later. Before going up to her apartment, she sat there inside the car with her thoughts drifting back to Jessica. The woman she had been in love with for so many years and still was. Was she stupid for rejecting? Although it was not what she wanted, but it was indeed the right thing to do. Jessica was her short-lived past and it’s best to leave it only at that.

She then let out a long sigh and exited the car. She quickly made her way up to her apartment. At the time, there was nothing she wanted more than a hot shower and 12hours sleep.  She was sensing like a fever might be revisiting her. So, it’s best that she could take a pill and sleep this off quickly.

DING

She pulled her luggage and made her way to her apartment. Suddenly she saw someone from afar standing in front of her apartment looking at her. She stopped. She felt like her heard just dropped on the floor.  

She bravely carried her heavy feet and went closer to the person whom she did not expect at all to be seeing there.

“How did you know that I live here?” She asked. The were standing a few steps away from each other.

“Your mum.”

“Oh no wonder she was being all weird just now.” Sooyoung recalled.   

“What took you so long? I took the next flight after you and could still reach here earlier than you did. 4hours earlier in fact.” The person said softly.  

“Had a 6hours layover in Seattle.” Sooyoung informed.

“I could have gone to Seattle.” She chuckled.

“Jess, why are you here?” Sooyoung asked again.

“I am here because there’s nowhere else I’d rather be. Meeting you again after 2 years really hit me that I couldn’t let you go again.” She started to speak. “I just couldn’t.” She added. “I was an idiot for letting you go the first time because I was so selfish.” She continued.

“You know any of this was not your fault. I was the one who gave up.” Sooyoung replied.

“You had every reason to give up. And I didn’t do anything to win you back. I just let you walk away.” Jessica stated. Sooyoung then grab something inside the pocket of her jacket and took out the playbill. She turned to the last page, and show it to Jessica. “You still love me?” She asked.

“Always have. And always will.” Jessica replied softly.

Sooyoung felt a tear fell down her cheek in which she quickly wiped it away. She didn’t expect any of this to happen. “It’s been 2 years Jess and your life is in the States now.” Sooyoung said.

“My life is not in the States. My life is wherever you are. That is only if you will have me back of course.” She said.

Sooyoung walked closer to the woman and stared at the face intently. “I don’t want to do long distance.” She said.

“Not asking you to. I can make a living anywhere.” She assured.

“I hate Yuri.”

“I know you do. She’s happily engaged to an American woman.”

“I don’t want her interfering in any of the decisions regarding your personal life.”

“She has not been doing it for close to 2 years already.”

“I want myself to be included in any discussions or decisions involving us.”

“You will be the first person to know.”

“And please don’t leave me again. I don’t know what will I do if that happens again.” Sooyoung mumbled. “I love you too much” She added.

Without any warning Jessica dashed in and hugged the girl tightly. “I am not going anywhere now. I am so so sorry for what happened before. I should have said this to you 2 years ago.” Jessica was in tears as well as she planted kisses all over the girl’s face.

“Will you forgive me?” Jessica looked at Sooyoung.

“I was never mad at you. How could I?” Sooyoung replied back with teary eyes.