Chapter VI

Queen Of Hollywood

After 4 hours of rehearsal at the venue nearby, Jessica finally had her alone time in her office. There was a scripted text on her desk which she needed to go through for the pre-concert press conference later that night.

That night would be the final concert for the Asia Tour and it was back in Seoul. The past 5 months had been crazy. Not just for her, but for the whole crew. They had been in multiple countries and sleeping in different hotels each week. All shows, venues, and tickets were sold out as soon as the tour was announced. With all the rehearsals, the shows, her body was just aching terribly. But deep down she loved every minute of it. Seeing the fans happy was what kept her going. And not forgetting having Sooyoung in the tour with her. Sometimes she wondered why she had not noticed Sooyoung all these years. How could she overlook this amazing girl who all this while had been under her nose?

As planned, after the tour she would be taking a well-deserved one-year break from the entertainment world. She had been working hard for the past 5 years. She deserved this break, to also be with her family and most importantly to finally be able to spend quality time with Sooyoung. Ever since they got together, the only alone time they got was after a long tiring day. During the tour, they were physically around each other, but it was all for work.

Jessica turned her attention to the scripted text which her team prepared for her when suddenly there was a knock on the door.

“Come in.” She responded with her eyes looking at the text.

“Hey.”

Jessica looked at the person and it was none other than her manager, Yuri.

“Hey.” Jessica put the text aside and invited the woman to sit opposite of her. “How’s the rehearsal?” Yuri asked softly.

“You tell me Yul, you were there.” Jessica smiled.

“Oh you saw me?”

“I’m sure you won’t miss the chance to see me in rehearsal for the last time.” Jessica said softly as she landed her back on her high back office chair. That would be Yuri’s last day as her manager as she had informed before that she would leave the job after the last concert of the tour.

“You know me well.” Yuri chuckled.

“So how was I just now?” Jessica asked as she was trying to make small talks with the woman. Their relationship had not been the best during the whole tour due to what happened. But they still kept their professionalism when it came to work.

“Amazing as always.” Yuri smiled.

“I know.” Jessica joked.

“Tonight will be the best night. You need to live it.” She said.

“You have been such a great support throughout my career.” Jessica mumbled.

“We did it together Jess.”

“I’m sorry it has to end.” She said softly.

“Sometimes, good things come to an end to pave way for better things.” Yuri said positively.

“So what are you planning to do next?” Jessica asked in concern.

“First thing first, I’m just going to catch up on my sleep. 5years worth of sleep.” She said jokingly. Both of them had a laugh. “Jess, don’t worry about me. I will be fine.” She added looking at the woman.

“I’m not worried about you Yul. I know you will do fine.” Jessica had faith in Yuri. Any artist would be lucky to have her as a manager.

“So, for my last day, is there anything with the script that you want my help with?” Yuri said enthusiastically.

“Hmm.. you know every press conference there will be a question about my personal life?”

“Jessica Jung, do you have someone special in your life? Are you seeing anyone?” Yuri acted how the press would ask during a press conference.

“I’m thinking of revealing Sooyoung.” Jessica said as she looked at the woman. “Are you sure?” Yuri straightaway asked back.

“Yes. I’m not going to hide this anymore.” Jessica said confidently.

“You must love her so much.” Yuri mumbled.

“I do. I have never felt anything so real.” Jessica said.

“When you are in this entertainment business, it’s hard to find anything real. So hold on to it Jess.” Yuri said softly. “But, I need you to consider every aspect before letting the world know.” She added.

“What do you mean?” Jessica asked.

“Sooyoung is the most reserved and private person I’ve ever known. Don’t you think by making the relationship public will affect her? and let's not even mention her mother.” Yuri had a point. 

“My advice is, think this through. Don’t rush it.” She smiled before she stood up from the chair. Jessica stood up as well and then they shared a friendly hug.

“Thank you for everything. I am sure going to miss having you around.” Jessica smiled.

“Don’t say your goodbyes yet. I’m still going to be here until after the concert. We still have the after party, tonight right?” Yuri smiled before she left the office. Jessica just let out a long deep sigh as she thought deep to herself.

*******

Jessica was looking at her phone while her make-up artist Hyoyeon was preparing her for the final show that night. But she needed to attend the press conference in 30mins before the show started.

“Can you believe it, it’s the last show tonight.” Hyoyeon said with a smile as she was applying a pink lipstick to the woman.

“I know right. 5months just passed by so fast.” Jessica responded.

“Are you flying to the US to see your family after the show?” Hyoyeon went on to ask.

“Yes, but in 4 days’ time. There’s a few things I need to settle first.” She smiled as she was looking at her phone.

“Feels good to finally have a long holiday, right?” Hyoyeone smiled before she applied another color of lipstick.

“Oh you must have heard that I’ll be on a long hiatus.”

“Yep. And you deserved it. You’ve worked so hard.” Hyoyeon replied as she went to fix the singer’s hair.

Jessica grabbed her phone and tried texting her girlfriend whom she had been trying to get in touch with since afternoon. She knew how busy Sooyoung must be during concert day as she had to oversee so many things. She was planning to talk to the woman over lunch but Sooyoung couldn’t make it because she had to settle a few things with the vendors.

Babe, where are you?
Can I see you or talk to you before the press conference?
Sooyoung, please reply to me once you can.
Can we talk now?
Baby, please call me.

She desperately wanted to talk to Sooyoung at the time. She wanted to know whether Sooyoung would be okay if she would to announce it to the press. But she just couldn’t get a hold of her.

“Aish, where is this girl.” Jessica mumbled slowly to herself while Hyoyeon was still fixing her hair.

“If you are looking for Sooyoung, she’s at the merch vendor.” Hyoyeon suddenly said out of nowhere. Jessica immediately looked towards her stylist. She was surprised actually.

“Don’t worry. Your secret is safe with me.” She smiled.

“Everyone knows?” Jessica asked.

“Hmm pretty much.” She chuckled. “We saw both of you making out at the back stage in Hong Kong.” She laughed.

“What?? Oh man..” Jessica just laughed back. “I’ll be revealing to the press about her later.” Jessica mumbled. “Seriously?? That is great!! Finally, the rumors about you with every single male idol out there will stop now.” She added.

“It’s getting annoying right? I really hope those rumors will eventually stop after tonight.” Jessica smiled.

Suddenly there was a knock at the door, and Yuri’s head appeared in between. “Hyo, is she ready?” She asked. The press conference would start in 15minutes.

“Yes boss.” Hyoyeon nodded before she did a final touch on the lips.

Jessica grabbed her phone and tried calling her girl one last time, but sadly the call was not answered. She then left her phone in the drawer and walked out of the dressing/make up room following her soon to be ex-manager.

“Have you thought this through?” Yuri asked referring to the subject matter.

“I wanted to discuss with her but..”

“You know how busy she is during concert day.” Yuri interrupted.

“Yeah. Oh god Yul, I don’t know what to do.”

“This would be our last press conference together. So as your manager for the last time, I would advise you not to rush this. You have been with her for only 5, 6 months? What if things didn’t work after the reveal?” Yuri questioned her softly.

“You will be taking a year off after this. Spend more time getting to know her outside of work. By then, I’m sure you will be even more sure about the relationship.” Yuri tried to present her points across.

“Hmm I guess you are right.” Jessica mumbled.

“For now, just answer the stupid ‘personal life’ questions like how we always do it alright?” Yuri said with a smile. Jessica just nodded her head. At that point she was grateful to have Yuri with her. It made her realize how crucial Yuri had been throughout her entire career. She always gave the best advice.

“Now go get them.” Yuri said. Jessica gathered her strength before she went out of to the press conference room.

*****

“Soo! Go to the press conference room now!” Hyoyeon exclaimed the moment she bumped into Sooyoung at the back of the stage.

“Huh? Why?” Sooyoung asked back. She was so exhausted at the time. She was practically running around the whole venue that night. She was at the cafeteria back stage getting herself a bottle of mineral water.

“Aish, just go!!” Hyoyeon smiled widely.

“Why would I have to go??” Sooyoung asked back weirdly but Hyoyeon just dragged her towards the press conference room. They went in together and they stood at the back of the room with the press crowding in front of the singer.

“She will reveal to the press about her relationship with you.” Hyoyeon whispered excitedly.

“She what??” Sooyoung was shocked. “Eh wait, you know about us?” Sooyoung asked her colleague. Hyoyeon just laughed as a response.

“Tonight, will be the highlight of the whole tour. It would be the best show of all shows.” Jessica explained to the press. “Do stick around and cheer for me, and cheer for the whole team.” She added.

“Jessica, actor Kim Soo Hyun just entered the venue for the final show of the tour. We saw him making an appearance on the last 2 shows in Jakarta and Hong Kong as well.” One of the press said. “Is he your special someone?”

“Some of my male fans have been travelling with me for the whole tour. They have made more appearance than Kim Soo Hyun. My special someone is every each and of them.” Jessica tackled the question so professionally. “Not forgetting my dearest female fans too.” She smiled.

Sooyoung smiled as she heard her superstar girlfriend’s remarks.

“Since you will be on a year hiatus after tonight, maybe it’s time for you to reveal your special someone. There have been rumors that you will be spending time with this person.”

“It is not a rumor by the way. It is true. I will be spending my time off with this person.” Jessica teased.

“Please stop teasing ussss.”

“Well, I will be spending my time with none other than my manager, Kwon Yuri who will still be with me after tonight. Today was supposed to be her last day. But I just couldn’t live without her. She has been there for me since the very beginning of my career, and she knows me whole heartedly. I would certainly be lost without her.” Jessica smiled.

Yuri was surprised. But the most surprise was Sooyoung. She didn’t expect the news at all as she knew perfectly well why Yuri wanted to leave the team. She had feelings for her girlfriend!

The press conference ended with all the press feeling disappointed not to be able to know who was the superstar’s special person.

****

The concert lasted for 3 hours and it was a success. They ended the tour with a bang. After the concert, there would be a VIP fan signing event for 25 lucky fans. Then, the after-party event at the rooftop bar at the Four Seasons Hotel in which Jessica and the whole crew had been staying.

The after-party started around 11.30pm and it was to celebrate the success of the 5months Asia Tour. Most of the crew members had gone back to the hotel except for Sooyoung and the staging crew. They were still at the concert venue. Sooyoung had to settle a few pending matters with the participating vendors before she could call it a day and also wrap up the entire tour.

Once everything was done, Sooyoung and the staging crew hopped on the tour van and made their way back to the hotel. The time was already 12.40am and she decided to take a shower before attending the after-party. She had been staying in the same room with Jessica for the past 4 days ever since landed back in Seoul. And she didn’t even get the chance to go back to see her mother whom she had not seen for almost 3 months. Only God knew how busy she was.  

The moment she went inside the room, she saw there were a lot of gifts and flowers which was actually a normal sight after each concerts. Those were all congratulatory gifts from Jessica’s celebrity friends, her family, fans and also the media.

Sooyoung took off her clothes and before going inside the shower, she saw a note on the bed.

Come and look for me upstairs. I love you. - J

It took her almost 30minutes to get ready as she was fighting the urge to just lie down and just sleep on the bed. The time was almost 1.30am. Normally the after party would last till 3.30-4am. She went up to the rooftop and it was packed with people. People were happily drinking and dancing along on the loud music.

She tried to squeeze herself into the crowd to look for her girlfriend but she just couldn’t find her. “Hey Soo..” Suddenly someone greeted her from behind. “You made it.” The woman added. It was Tiffany from choreography.

“Oh yeah. Me and the staging crew just got here half an hour ago. I just had to take a shower first.” Sooyoung explained.

“You must be exhausted. Do you want a drink?” She shouted a bit due to the loud music.

“Yeah sure. But not too strong.” Sooyoung smiled. The woman nodded her head and went to the bar leaving Sooyoung. Sooyoung scanned the area again and finally she saw the superstar from a far. She immediately walked towards her but halfway, she stopped.

Jessica was having fun talking and drinking with a few celebrities and Yuri the manager that she couldn’t live without. They seemed to enjoy themselves. What made Sooyoung stopped was when she saw Yuri’s hand was wrapped around her girlfriend’s waist.

“Oh there you are! She told me to keep an eye for you.” Suddenly Hyoyeon appeared. Sooyoung just stood there looking at her girlfriend from a far. “She wants you to go to her.” Hyoyeone added. Sooyoung was still in silent.

“Soo, go!” Hyoyeon cried out loud as she slightly dragged her towards the crowd. “Ms Jessica, she just got here.” Hyoyeon interrupted.

“You just got here? The party started 3hours ago.” Jessica was surprised to know how late it was. It was almost 2am.

“Yes, I just got here.” Sooyoung had a feeling that Jessica had never noticed it for the past 4years. She and the staging crew would always be the last group of people to leave a concert venue or there was any event.

“Who is this?” Suddenly the actor Kim Soo Hyun asked.

“She’s my amazing creative coordinator.” Jessica introduced with a smile.

“Hi everyone.” Sooyoung greeted the people shyly. All the star-studded people just continued to chat and laugh among each other including Jessica and Yuri, practically ignoring Sooyoung’s existence.

“I’m just going to go hang with the team.” Sooyoung said to Jessica and she just left before Jessica could say anything. Jessica wanted to follow her, but Yuri softly grabbed her hand asking her to stay there and mingle with her famous friends.

 The after-party went on till 4am. It had been an exhausting few months for everyone. So, the party was really the highlight for Jessica and the crew to celebrate the success of the Asia Tour before a long break. After saying goodbye to all the guests, Jessica looked around the rooftop trying to find the only person she wanted to be with.

“Hmm did anyone see Sooyoung around?” She went on to ask some of the crew members who were still there enjoying their time. “I think she left 2 hours ago with Tiffany.” One of them revealed.

“What? Really??” Jessica was surprised. She immediately took out her phone and saw 3 texts from the girl.

I haven’t eaten the whole day, so I might head out with Tiffany to look for something to eat.
I am back in the room. Are you still going to be long?
I went home to be with mum. Have fun at the party, you and Yuri deserve all the success and I'm sure more to come from the both of you.