Chapter 3 - Pengu-chan and Silly Rabbit

Happiness

In the afternoon, Mina woke up from her hangover, found herself tucked in her bedroom. She kind of forgot what happened last night. She only remembered that she brought Chaeyoung and ed her. Holding her throbbing head, she heard someone knocked.

"Yes, come in!" Mina permitted.

"Sorry, Ms Myoui, I just want to give you this medicine and soup, Ms Im asked me to deliver it to you," a maid came in and explained. 

"Oh, yeah, just put it on my table,,,thank you,"

"Hmm,,, and this one too... I found it at Ms Im's room and your name is written there," the maid gave the diary to Mina.

"Why doesn't she give it directly to me?" Mina asked.

"She left the mansion at dawn," she replied looking at the floor.

"Left??? What do you mean?" 

"She went back to US, Ms Myoui. She said her work here is done," the main answered.

"Oh, okay, thank you,,, you can go back to work," Mina dismissed her.

That Im just left me like that? Couldn't see give me a proper goodbye at least. Why do I care? I can live freely now with Chaeyoung and my company is already stable now.

Mina freshened herself by washing her face and brushing her teeth. She had her lunch at her room and drank the medicine right away. Then, she glanced at the diary Nayeon left her.

She opened the note and read,,,,

 

Pe-Pengu chan.....

 

Silly Rabbit....

 

Mina could not believe her eyes, she abruptly got up from her chair, stumbled upon her own foot,,,, the oxygen suddenly did not transered well in her nerves,,,, time stopped,,,, she held her spinning head,,,,, too afraid to reveal the truth,,,,, the truth that hurted her for these past years,,,,

Suffocating, Mina reached the diary which fell on the floor. She opened the first page and found an old photo of two girls,,,, a shy timid girl and a bunny teeth girl,,,, 

Mina's hand was trembling.....tears streaming down from her eyes...... was shut, she was completely speechless..... she brought the picture to her chest and cried out, "Whyyyy.... whyyyy..... whhhyyyy?" she just cried and cried, until she was tired and passed out on the floor.

*****

Several hours later, Mina heard constant knockings on her door. She woke up and replied weakly, "Yeeess..."

The maid came in and surprised to see Mina was lying on the floor, "Ms Myoui...Ms Myoui... what happened? Are you okay?" the maid tried to move Mina to her bed.

"Yes, yes, I am okay..."

"Should I call Ms Im?" the maid asked.

"NO! Do not call her!" Mina demanded,

"But she said to inform her in case you are in trouble..." the maid replied.

Damn you, Im..... You still even care even after you see what I had done....

"I will call her myself... no need to worry and sorry for shouting just now.." Mina said.

"It is fine, Ms Myoui... Actually I just wanted to let you know that dinner is ready downstairs,"

"Okay, thank you... I will come down later."

Mina changed her clothes and went downstairs to have her dinner. She ate livelessly with her mind rewinding all the moments she had.... all moments with that bunny teeth girl. She did not eat much and went to the bar stool to drink some wine. There she had a flashback.

*****

2004

Mina laid weakly on the hospital bed. She had been there for a month without certain clue of her future. She was in the children ward, accompanied by her parents. Her father had a small company and her mother was a housewife. Mina had a problem with her kidneys and she was waiting for a new kidney to prolong her life.

One afternoon, while she was eating her snack, another girl visit her room. 

"Hi, aunty! Hi, Mi - Mina!" the girl read the name from the bedpost.

"Do you want to play with me?" she asked again with a big smile on her face.

"Oh, hi, dear..." Mina's mom greeted back. "You are such a brave kid... Mina would happily play with you, but now she is sick and she cannot play around.." Mom explained and Mina just waved her hand shyly.

"Owww, I am sick too.. I had a bad fever yesterday, but now I am okay...." she replied.

"What is your name, dear?" Mom asked.

"Just call me silly rabbit...xixixixixixi...." all of them laughed.

"What happen to Mina, aunty? When can she play?" silly rabbit asked.

"Hmm... it is quite complicated... but my daughter needs a new kidney, or else she will be weak like this..." mom explained.

"I can give her one..." she grinned.

"Aigoooo... how nice you are, silly rabbit... but it is not that easy, my dear... your parents may not allow you to do that,,,,, kidney is an important body part for human.." Mom patted silly rabbit's head.... "My daughter will be happy if you spend time with her while she is here.."

"Of course, aunty... I am happy to make new friends... I will go back here tomorrow....bye, Mina...bye, aunty...!"

After that, Silly Rabbit a.k.a little Nayeon talked to her father about this case, and fortunately, her father was the one who treated Mina. Nayeon just felt sympathy for Mina, how come such a pretty girl like that lost her kidney and maybe died soon. After several argument with her Dad, he gave in. He was worried but he was also proud of her daughter's big heart in helping people. That night, dr. Im talked to Mina's parents and they were crying. After one month, no body wanted to sacrifice or donor their kidney for her precious, suddenly there was a light.... a way out for Mina's life... Mina's parents were so grateful and thanked silly rabbit for her kindness.


The next day, as silly rabbit promised, she visited Mina again. "Hi, Mina....Hi, aunty...."

"Hi, silly rabbit," both of them replied.

"May I play with Mina for a while? I bring my favorite plushie today..." she showed her bunny plushie.

Mina chuckled, "It looks like you a lot..."

"Hahahahahah.... that is why people call me silly rabbit, just like my bunny plushie..."

They played the plushie together. Smiles were on their faces and they really enjoyed the moment. Mina's mom was also glad seeing Mina smiled and she really thought that silly rabbit was such a good friend for Mina. 

"Silly rabbit,,," Mina called.

"Yeaahh..."

"Thank you for helping me...." she was about to cry.

"Hey....don't cry Mina... I am doing it because we are friends.."

"But you just knew me yesterday.." Mina said.

"And that is enough for me to consider you as my friend..." she offered her pinky. "Do you want to be my friend?" silly rabbit asked.

"Of course, not only friend, you are my best friend," Mina hooked her pinky to silly rabbit's.

"Best friend sounds perfect.." they both smiled.

.

.

.

Finally, they did the kidney transplant surgery successfully. Mina gained her health and Nayeon was perfectly well with only one kidney. Both girls were staying at the hospital for another two weeks until they were fully recovered. By that time, Silly Rabbit already gave Mina her own nick name, Pengu-chan.

They spent those two weeks together in the same room. They started to call each other with the pet names. Pengu was so happy every time she played with Rabbit. She was just like her sister as Rabbit was two years older than her. 

Unfortunately, time had to separate them. Rabbit needed to go back to the USA with her mom while her father still stay in Korea as pediatrician. Pengu was so sad knowing that Rabbit was going to leave her.

"Pengu-chan.... I am sorry I have to go back to USA with my mom..."

"Whyyyy....? We are best friends, right.... I want you to be here..." Pengu cried.

"I know.. it that I have to go.... but I live there... I just visit Korea once in a while to meet my Dad..."

"So, we're not BFF anymore?"

"Of course, we are still BFF.. BFF is forever...." Rabbit says..

"But USA is so far from here... I cannot see you... I cannot play with you..." she cried even more.

Rabbit hugged Pengu, "Shhhh...shhh...don't cry, Pengu... I promise that I will visit Korea more often and we can play later..."

"Promise?" Pengu asked.

"Yes! Promise!" Rabbit answered.

 

***** END of Flashback

 

Mina cried again. She cried on how evil her condition was. Her condition while Nayeon was there for her and helped her again, but she did not notice her. She did not even notice her bunny teeth. She just realizd it now after all. Her eyes and heart were blinded by hopelessness. Hopeless in wanting Rabbit to come back.