Three

Sour Grapes and Sweet Lemons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minjeong wanted to blame herself. The plan was to say "Sorry, I actually didn't ask you out on a date.", walk away, go home, then start her BusCom project due tomorrow. But somehow, they ended up seated across each other in a local restaurant just around the block. She had no idea how her mind completely went blank earlier that she couldn't even remember her rehearsed line.

"For starters, how about we formally introduce ourselves to one another? I'm Jimin. Yu Jimin." The long-haired girl spoke as soon as she handed the menu back to the waiter.

"Minjeong. Kim Minjeong." 

"So, Minjeong..." The girl in front of her smiled  "...you really came." She let out a light chuckle. "How old are you?"

"Twenty-one. How about you?"

"Twenty-two."

"Oh, I should call you unn--"

"Drop it."

"O-okay, Jimin.." The other girl's tone sounded very authoritative on that one, so she just decided to agree.

Minjeong felt bad in bringing it this far. They shouldn't even be here right now. She took a deep breath, and looked down. Minjeong didn't want another circumstance where her mind will completely be wiped blank. "To be honest, I actually didn't ask you out on a date. I just asked you what time the shop would be closing because it was raining, and I was planning to stay for as long as possible to take cover. I'm sorry." She looked up to see that the smile on the other girl's face never left.

"You're saying that now that we're here?"

"Uhh.."

"To be honest, I didn't think you were actually gonna come back."

"R-really?"

Jimin nodded, her gaze never leaving the other girl's. "But maybe I was really hoping you would." Minjeong felt her cheeks heat up at that. "So why did you agree to come with me then if you didn't really ask me out on a date?"

"Well uhh..." Minjeong racked her brain. hard. What could she even say?

"Shall we go home then?" The blonde bit her lip, refusing to look up and meet the black-haired girl's eyes. She instead chose to stare at the wooden table separating them.

"Uhh... I was thinking maybe... since we're both already here... maybe we could get to know each other better, like hang out and talk or something, like enjoying our time, like--"

"You mean, like a date?"

"Yeah, like a da-- I m-mean, no! Definitely not a date!" Jimin tilted her head with an amused smile on her face. She reached for her glass and took a sip of water.

"Alright then. We're hanging out right now. I can work with that."

"I-it's not a date, okay?"

Jimin doesn't answer, instead letting out a silent giggle at the nervous-looking girl in front of her. 

Their food arrived, to Minjeong's relief. They allowed themselves to dig in for a few bites first, since both were expectedly tired- Minjeong from school, most especially her Taxation quiz, and Jimin from finishing her daily shift.

"Why..umm.. why did you do that, by the way?" Minjeong asked, vaguely, but somehow Jimin still happened to know what she was talking about.

"I think you're really cute." 

Minjeong almost choked on the slice of chicken making its way down . She grabbed her glass of iced tea and immediately chugged it down. Minjeong didn't expect Jimin to be the type to be so straightforward like this, although after everything that happened so far, she should have known.

"So, Where are you from, Minjeong?" Jimin asked just as she has barely placed her glass back down on the table. Just like that. Like nothing happened. Like she didn't just send her into a life-threatening situation just seconds ago.

"I'm actually from Yangsan, but I moved to an apartment here in Seoul for College."

"So you're from the area?"

"Yeah."

"What course are you taking?"

"Accountancy." Jimin looked at her for a couple of seconds. Minjeong was used to this kind of reaction everytime she told someone what her course was. Accountancy is a quota course, and because of that, people always have high expectations of her.

"What year?"

"Third." Jimin nodded as she placed the slice of meat in . 

"Third... " The taller girl thought for a bit. "Do you always go out late? I don't think I've ever seen you around here before."

"Actually, n

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter