Five

Sour Grapes and Sweet Lemons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The following days of the week went by normally, and before Minjeong knew it, it was already Thursday night. Tomorrow was their friend Lia's birthday, and they've been invited to a party in her home by the evening, after classes. That was the original plan, but somehow her chestnut-haired girl took the liberty of inviting Jimin along with them, and worse, gave her the additional job of picking her up and driving her to Lia's house.

Minjeong suddenly remembered that they actually haven't talked about where they would meet up. Unsure, she took her phone on her bedside table, scrolling though her contacts, before stopping on a particular name. She ended up saving her contact the night they met since she wasn't sure if she'd ever need it in the future. Who knows, maybe she was a serial killer of some sort? Minjeong couldn't be too sure. That was what she thought, definitely not because she was interested in her, or because she was considering contacting her that night. Nope, not at all. The blonde bit her lip, not believing that the time would actually come where in she'd actually end up contacting her.

She tapped on the name, and composed a new message.

 

To: Counter Seven Cashier

"Hi Jimin, it's Minjeong. Sorry for texting this late, I was just wondering where I should pick you up tomorrow. Should I wait for you at the supermarket, or should I pick you up at your place instead?"

 

She leaned back against the headrest, but less than a minute later, she heard her phone's message ringtone.

 

From: Counter Seven Cashier

"Hi Minjeong! :) I still need to go home and change for the party, so is it okay if you pick me up at my place?"

 

To: Counter Seven Cashier

"Yeah, it's fine. The party will start at 6, so will you be ready by 5:30? It's rush hour by that time."

 

From: Counter Seven Cashier

"Sure, no problem!"

 

To: Counter Seven Cashier

"Alright. I'll see you tomorrow."

 

From: Counter Seven Cashier

"Good night, Minjeong. Hope you dream of me. ;)"

 

Minjeong felt herself blush when she read the last part of the message. A mental image of Jimin's smile flashed in her mind. She shook her head, trying to get it off her head. The blonde placed her phone back on the nighstand, not bothering to reply anymore. She then got inside the covers and closed her eyes, trying really hard not to think about the girl she'd be picking up tomorrow.

 

-

 

"Yizhuo, need a ride home so you could prepare for the party earlier?"

"Oh, I already brought my clothes. I'm gonna head straight to Lia's and just change there."

Minjeong stopped in her steps and widened her eyes. "And you didn't bother telling me because?? I could've brought mine as well and just do the same!"

Yizhuo clicked her tongue and shook her head. "Of course I didn't bother telling you. Have you forgotten that you were supposed to pick Jimin up and head towards the party together?"

The blonde rolled her eyes then groaned. "This is all your fault." She mumbled as she began walking again.

"Excuse me?" Yizhuo caught up with her hands on her chest. "I'm tryna help you here."

"How is this you trying to help me when you basically set me up?"

"Don't forget our deal that you have to ask her out again since we you basically saw her yesterday."

"Whatever, Yizhuo."

"Don't be late!" She heard her best friend say before they parted ways with Yizhuo heading towards the bus stop, and her heading towards the parking lot.

Minjeong drove home and killed an hour playing League of Legends: Wild Rift on her phone, before eventually deciding to get up and get changed. Nothing too fancy, just a black button-up v-neck blouse and a black skirt to partner it with. She decided to wear a black beret, just to complete the whole look.

She looked at her watch, 5:19 p.m.

It was time for her to head over Jimin's place and pick her up.

Minjeong grabbed her purse and her car keys, then headed out. After ten minutes, she arrived just in time for their scheduled meet up time. Pulling out her phone, she composed a new message for Jimin.

 

To: Counter Seven Cashier

"I'm already here outside."

 

From: Counter Seven Cashier

"Alright. I'll be out in a minute."

 

Minjeong closed her message and went on Facebook. She viewed Yizhuo's latest My Day, which was a picture of her and Lia with the caption "Happy birthday, best girl!"

She heard the passenger seat open as she typed a reply on the last photo her best friend has posted.

"Hi Minjeong."

It was only when the car door closed did Minjeong finally look up from her phone and look at the person who just entered her car.

"Hey..."

Jimin was wearing a long sleeved black and white button up shirt and a stylish buttoned skirt. the top half of her hair was also tied behind her head, while the bottom half were over her shoulders. She was wearing make-up, thicker than her usual look, but still considered pretty light. Jimin was...

"I'm sorry, did I keep you waiting?"

The blonde continued staring.

"Minjeong?" Jimin raise her eyebrows.

The girl on the driver's seat finally found the will to blink and look towards the front. "Oh sorry, yeah, no it's fine. I just arrived."

"What happened just now?"

"Nothing."

"Did you find me too attractive that you couldn't take your eyes off me?"

Minjeong's cheeks reddened, clearly flustered at what she has just heard. She scoffed. "You wish."

The girl on the passenger's seat laughed. "You look really attractive though. And the beret just made you a lot cuter."

The blonde bit the insides of her cheeks. She just felt herself blush even more. Reaching over, Minjeong suddenly decreased the temperature inside the car, hoping her face would return to its normal color soon.

Minjeong started the car not long after. Traffic wasn't too heavy, to her satisfaction, but something about being alone with Jimin inside the car for about thirty minutes couldn't put her at ease for some reason. Deciding the radio would help, she turned it on. A classic R&B song started playing, which she soon recognized as Neyo's Miss Independent. It got her tapping her fingers on the wheel while humming along during certain parts.

Ooh it's somethin' about

Just somethin' about the way she move

I can't figure it out

It's somethin' about her

They stopped at a red light, and Minjeong took a quick glance beside her. She noticed that the other girl was rubbing her arms up and down discreetly.

"Are you cold?" The girl on the shotgun seat snapped her head towards her in surprise.

"Oh. Umm... a bit." She answered with a shy smile. Minjeong reached over, remembering that she turned the temperature way down low a while ago because of her burning cheeks.

"Is this better?"

"Yes, thank you so much."

She took a glance at her before she stepped on the gas again, noticing the smile on the other girl's face.

"Do you often go to parties?"

"I haven't been to many parties, actually. I have to work so I barely get to attend any. That's why I'm always open whenever someone invites me to one."

"I hope you'll enjoy this one. Lia hosts great parties"

 

A little while later, Minjeong pulled up in front of Lia's mansion, noting several cars also parked in the front yard, before turning to the girl beside her.

"We're here." She unbuckled her seatbelt, then headed out the car, Jimin following suit. They walked side by side until they reached the door. Minjeong leaned forward to press the doorbell, then straightened up to wait. She decided to fix her outfit while waiting for the door to be answered. Loud music could be heard playing inside, with muffled voices from people loudly talking.

"Minjeong!" A brown-haired girl a bit shorter than the blonde leaned forward and wrapped her arms around her briefly for a hug.

"Happy Birthday, Lia!"

"It's been a while." She said as she pulled out from the hug. Her gaze landed on the taller girl next to her friend.

"Hello there, I'm Lia."

"Hi Lia, I'm Jimin. "

"Oh, right! So you're the one Yizhuo was talking about." Lia looked up and brought her finger to her chin. "Uhh.. supermarket cashier at counter seven?" Minjeong's eyes widened, sending Lia a signal as she internally panicked. Lia caught the blonde's gaze and immediately followed up, "Oh, I'm not judging you or your work, by the way! I'm sorry if I may have made it sound that way. I was just repeating what Yizhuo told me." Minjeong rolled her eyes, taking a mental note of scolding Yizhuo for spilling details about people's private lives. She worriedly turned to look at Jimin. Contrary to what she was worrying about though, Jimin's expression was just relaxed, still having a smile on her face.

"No worries, it's totally fine. And yes, I work in a supermarket as a cashier at counter seven." The blonde didn't know why, but seeing and hearing Jimin speak proudly about her job, and not being embarrassed or shy about it, brought a smile to her face. "Yizhuo invited me, is it okay--"

"Of course! I'm happy you were able to come.  Yizhuo knows I love meeting new people." Lia grinned.

"By the way, Happy Birthday. I brought a small gift. I wasn't sure what you liked so I hope you're into tea." She handed the small gift bag to the birthday girl. Minjeong didn't even notice it with Jimin even back in the car.

"Oh my gosh, you shouldn't have bothered!" Lia's eyes widened as she received the gift being handed to her.

"I didn't want to crash into a party and come empty handed."

"Aww, you're so sweet. I do love tea! Thank you, Jimin." Lia took a glance at Minjeong, then back at her. "Come on in! The party's just starting. Enjoy yourselves!" She opened the door wider and took a step to the side to let her visitors in.

Minjeong looked around. There were already crowds forming in various parts of the mansion. As she expected, there were a lot of faces she couldn't recognize, but there were also some familiar faces-- like a specific chestnut-haired girl who was now making her way towards them after lifting her head to see who just entered.

"Jimin, you came!" Yizhuo pulled the tall girl into a hug, earning her a judging look from the blonde. "You're so pretty!"

"Thank you. You look so pretty too, Yizhuo." 

"Oh you didn't have to be so honest." Yizhuo playfully waved her hand in front of her. Minjeong rolled her eyes.

Yizhuo turned towards her best friend and opened her arms to hug her too. "Hi Minjeongiee--acck!" Minjeong pretended to hug back, only to wrap her arm around the other's neck for a headlock. "Minjeong, I can't b-breathe!" The chestnut-haired girl tapped on her arm repeatedly.

"We'll talk later." The blonde whispered before she released her best friend.

"Gosh, you're so violent."

"Tsk."

"Minjeong, what are you doing? Go and get both of you some drinks!" Yizhuo spoke in a hushed tone.

She eyed the cup Yizhuo was holding before turning her attention towards Jimin. The latter was looking around the house, seemingly taking it in. She smiled as their eyes met.

"I'll go get some drinks."

"I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter