Four

Sour Grapes and Sweet Lemons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minjeong made the mistake of telling Yizhuo that Jimin and her ended up going to a restaurant.

"What happened?" Yizhuo rested her elbows on Minjeong's armchair, leaning closer to interrogate her.

"Nothing." The blonde replied as she took her notebook out from her bag, not even bothering to look at her best friend.

"Come on, quit being secretive!" Yizhuo shook her right arm. "What happened in your date?"

"I told you it was not a date!"

"What happened?" The other girl continued, ignoring her previous reply.

"Nothing. We just ate and talked, that's all."

"Gosh, you're so boring. What happened after you ate?"

"Nothing. She just paid the bill and--" Minjeong stopped, realizing that she shouldn't have said that.

"She what?!" The chestnut-haired girl's voice echoed in the classroom, making several of their classmates turn their heads towards them.

"Quie-"

"You made her pay?!"

"Your voice!" The blonde covered her friend's mouth as she spoke through her gritted teeth. Yizhuo successfully removed the blonde's hand, her eyes still on her.

"If you didn't pay for the meal, please at least tell me you two went dutch. She only paid for her part of the bill, right?"

Minjeong looked down, her fingers playing with the cloth of her pants. "She paid for the whole bill.", she mumbled. The next thing Minjeong knew, she was being held on both shoulders, before her body was forced to turn to the right. 

"Girl?? You're unbelievable, oh my god!" Yizhuo shook Minjeong shoulders. "How could you let her pay for the whole thing?!"

"I didn't intend for it to turn out that way, okay? I was gonna grab the check , but she beat me to it."

"Will there be a second date?"

"Well... she said she would love to if I contact her again."

Yizhuo's eyes lit up for a brief second, mouth opening to blurt something out, when the blonde added, "but I don't think I will."

"Kim Minjeong, my patience for you is already on thin ice as we speak." The chestnut-haired girl's face turned ice cold, shooting daggers through her eyes. "Text her."

"For what?"

"Ask her out on another date later!"

"Why the heck would I do that?"

"Aw come on, Minjeong. You can't just let it end at that!"

"I'm not interested, Yizhuo."

"I don't believe you." The girl placed her chin on her palm and squinted at her. Minjeong rolled her eyes.

"You don't have to. I told you from the start that I wasn't interested, and it wasn't my intention to ask her out."  Minjeong pulled out her textbook in Management Advisory Services to try and read even a couple of pages of the next chapter in advance while the professor wasn't here yet. Yizhuo sensed what the other girl was trying to do and begrudgingly retreated her arms that were on Minjeong's armchair. The former sighed.

"Okay, how about this?" Minjeong merely hummed to let the other know she was listening. "When you see her again next time, you'll ask her out." Minjeong's eyebrows raised in amusement. All she has to do is to stop going to that supermarket. There's another one about three blocks away from her apartment, a bit far, but she could manage. That way, her and Jimin would never cross their paths again. But of course, she won't tell Yizhuo about this little plan of hers.

"Fine."

Yizhuo seemed to shut up after that, probably a bit delighted at the possibility of it happening. The blonde was thankful that her tactic to brush the topic off worked. As if on cue, the professor walked inside the room and placed her things on the table in front. 

"Hey, let's go to the mall later. I wanna buy a new dress to wear for Lia's birthday party on Friday." Yizhuo whispered.

"Okay." Minjeong said, saying nothing more for she was already more than thankful that Yizhuo already quit bothering her about the cashier at counter seven. 

 

-

 

"Does this color look better on me, or this one?" Yizhuo held the dresses over her body in front of the mirror one at a time.

"The beige one."

They were currently in one of the boutiques inside the mall. This was the third one they entered for the day, and it didn't look like the chestnut-haired girl was gonna stop soon. Yizhuo nodded after a few more seconds.

"Yeah, I think this red dress suits Lia better. I'll give it to her as a gift instead." Minjeong nodded at her idea. Yizhuo placed the red dress back on the rack for her to take later. They were the only ones inside as of the moment, so Yizhuo was sure no one was going to take the dress away. The shorter girl then gestured for her to follow her to where the fitting room was. The boutique was only small, so there was only one fitting room inside. A quick glance on the lock and they both understood that it was currently occupied. The sign pasted on the door of the fitting room however, made Yizhuo  frown a bit.

"Only two garments at a time allowed inside.", the chestnut-haired girl read. She glanced at the three dresses hanging on her right arm, before she turned to her best friend. "Minjeong, could you stay here outside while I change? I think it will be easier if I just hand you one of the outfits in exchange for the other one once I'm done fitting it."

"Yeah, sure." The blonde answered as she reached over for one of the dresses from her friend's arm. Minjeong turned around as she continued scrolling through instagram.

"Where should we eat for dinner? Your pick tonight." She heard the lock click and the door of the fitting room creak open behind her. "Yizhuo?" Minjeong turned around and expected her friend to already be inside the fitting room, but she found her still at the same spot she was in earlier, only now, her body was facing towards the right, eyes a bit widened as she stared at the customer who just exited from the room.

"Hey Yizhuo, I said where should we--"

"Do you have a larger size for this? The dress is a bit tight for me in the chest area." 

Minjeong froze. She recognized that voice.

"Hold on, ma'am. I'll check in the stock room." They heard the sales lady say.

Minjeong was sure she was now mirroring the exact same expression as her friend. She watched as the customer brushed her fingers through her hair, eyes trailing on the clothes hanging on the racks near them, turning her body clockwise, before her gaze eventually landed on her. A look of surprise was painted on her face.

Yizhuo gasped. "It really is her! The cashier at counter seven!" Minjeong had to elbow her friend hard at her side for how embarrassing she was behaving right now. She literally shouted out loud right in front of the other person.

"Oh hi!" Jimin waved at the both of them. "You're the customer yesterday, right?"

Yizhuo beamed, elated that the other girl remembered her. "Yes! I'm the one who bought a lot of chips and chocolates. I'm Yizhuo! It's nice to finally meet you formally."

"Hi Yizhuo, I'm Jimin. And yes, I'm the cashier at counter seven." She laughed as shook her hand before turning her head towards the other girl. "Hi, Minjeong." Jimin smiled wider.

"What are you doing here?"

Yizhuo slowly turned her head towards Minjeong incredulously. "What happened to hello? how are you? my name is? What happened to that??" The blonde wanted to laugh at her friend's terrible attempt of re-enacting the viral video meme.

"I mean.. hi Jimin. Sorry, I was just... a-aren't you supposed to be in the...?" 

"Oh, it's actually my day off." 

"How lovely!" Yizhuo clasped her hands together. "Are you here alone?"

"Yeah, I was just buying a couple of clothes."

"Oh, me too! I was just gonna fit some

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter