Ch9

never as it seems

a little bit of minji's pov... lets see what shes up to
 

---

 

Something sinister lurks in this hotel.

 

Minji paced around her balcony, gazing up at the bright full moon shining down on the quiet city. Those were words she had overheard earlier that week. From who? She couldn’t tell. But it was surely someone unfamiliar. 

 

Could people be after her? The Society? Something even more sinister? 

 

Unlikely, since Siyeon would have warned her if that was the case. She was just being her old paranoid self. Maybe it was time she got out of town for a bit. 

 

She rushed through the forests and through the mountains as quickly as she could without being seen. Minji had a couple places in mind to check out and a few people she needed to speak to. 

 

If her friends were going to be MIA and vague, it was time she took matters into her own hands. 

 

Finally reaching the cabin she was looking for a town, a mountain, and two forests over, Minji came to a stop at the small wooden door. She bit her lip hesitantly, debating whether or not this was such a good idea. 

 

What the hell, she figures, and knocks. 

 

The door swung open almost instantaneously, revealing a figure in a dark hoodie, face partially hidden due to a mask of some sort. Minji held back her grimace. “Long time no see?”

 

“Has hell frozen over?”

 

“Still frozen last time I checked!”

 

Coming here was a gamble. This specific person always had an unpredictable way about them. A secret spy within the outer ranks of the Society who goes by the name Seola. Minji watched the other girl carefully as she retreated back into the cabin, leaving the door open for her to enter if she wanted. She decided it was best to stay outside the threshold.

 

“I was wondering if you had any information on—“ The door slammed shut. Right on her face. She could hear the voice behind it loud and clear. 

 

“If you thought I would squeal on The Society like a little pig, you thought wrong!” Actually on the contrary, Minji did think right. She waited about three seconds for the door to open back up. “What did you need info on?”

 

Minji eyed her suspiciously. “When is the last time you heard from them? And what they have been up to? Gahyeon visited us a while back—“

 

The other girl started laughing, earning an incredulous look from Minji. “Oh no. Things are worse than I thought!” Her statement was followed by more laughter, growing harsher by the millisecond. Minji was getting concerned, but she didn’t even have time to question it before the door slammed on her again. 

 

Well, at least she tried. 

 

The next person she planned to visit, a fellow spunky womanizer.

 

Minji slipped inside a fancy boutique on the way there and snuck out with a new outfit that would match the place she was heading towards. A sparkly black dress. 

 

She approached the familiar estate, noting the bouncer at the door checking in guests. A fun little idea popped into her head. Minji waited until the crowd thinned out to make her move. 

 

“Excuse me. Name?” The largely built man held up a hand to stop her from crossing through the door. 

 

“You should know who I am, sir.” She gave her best smile, anticipating what she expected to follow. 

 

“I’m sorry, ma’am—“

 

“As I live and breathe.” There it was. “To what do I owe this great pleasure?” 

 

Minji smiled, genuinely having missed hearing this voice. “What, I can’t just visit an old friend?” 

 

~

 

It had been a long time since Minji showed up at a proper party like this, mansion filled to the brim with people, music blasting freely, the smell of drugs and alcohol wafting through the air. 

 

This had been her entire life decades ago. 

 

“The party never stops for you, huh?” Minji was guided into an office she was once veryfamiliar with. She pushed down those memories. Now was not the time. 

 

She watched as her friend popped open a champagne bottle and filled two flutes. Her friend handed one over. “Let’s just get to it. You need something.”

 

“Come on, Joy, that isn’t true.”

 

“I could smell the desperation from a mile away.” Minji frowned, displeased that she was being so obvious. 

 

“I beg to differ!” 

 

Joy shrugged, taking a seat on top of her desk. “You haven’t been here in years and you only need me when you’re down bad.” 

 

Okay. “Im on, uh, official business!” Minji cursed herself for momentarily losing her cool. How could she not when Joy was looking at her the exact same way she used to when they—

 

“Really?” 

 

“Really.” Minji took a sip of her champagne, noting how good it tasted. Joy always had the best. “Have you been in contact with Gahyeon recently?” 

 

Her friend visibly stiffened, slipping off the desk to stand up again and place her glass down. “Great, what did that little weasel do now?!” Joy mumbled more to herself, but Minji heard it all the same. 

 

“Well, she paid us a visit—“

 

“Already?! She wasn’t supposed to. The higher ups specifically told her not to go anywhere until winter was over.” Minji bristled at the mention of winter. “Her eagernessalways ruins things!” 

 

“Do you have any idea what they’re looking for?” 

 

Joy picked up her glass and tilted it very slowly, carefully eyeing the liquid as it nearly dripped out. Minji could tell she was avoiding the question. She will be damned if she won’t get any answers after having asked nearly everyone she knew. This was probably dangerous too. If the Society found out that she was asking around about them.. Oh it was over for her. 

 

She thought back to Gahyeon’s words, about how she sought out Yoohyeon for a reason. What was it about her? It was driving Minji insane. No matter how many times she thought about it, nothing good could come out of the Society wanting Yoohyeon. A human. 

 

“I don’t think you should be asking me about this.” Joy’s voice broke Minji out of her momentary musing. She looked up to see an unfamiliarly dark expression donning her old friend’s face. “Trust me when I say: stay far, far away from this and forget about everything, Minji. Don’t come back here again.” 

 

And before she could even question Joy, she was gone.